Mets fans?

Another Fan

23 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Nice night at Citi Field in spite of the loss. If I told you Max would give up 1 run in 7 innings and Diaz would have another utterly dominant 9th you'd have to assume a win. 

Max was in and out of trouble most of the game and in the early innings was consistently behind in the count, meanwhile the Phillies pitcher seemed to be ahead in the count all game and had the Mets hitters off-balance.

What can you say about Diaz, he is utterly dominant and his entrance to the trumpets is an event. He has struck out over half the batters he's faced this year.

Another noteworthy moment was Vogelbach tagging from second to third in the 10th.

Ultimately the Phillies cut down the runner at the plate on a sac fly and we couldn't do the same. Hopefully Jake gets us back in the W column today.

LFGM!

Vogelbach has been a fantastic addition. He fit right in the day he arrived and he has been a billion times more productive than JD Davis was. 

He’s also shown how important smart base running is. He knows his speed limitations, but is also incredibly aware of every situation as they unfold. 

Fantastic move by Eppler, who has been impressive since coming to Flushing. 

deGrom vs. Fried tonight.  

Mets have done pretty well against him this year.  Hopefully they can get to him right out of the gate and chase him early.

After the first two games of this series, escaping with a split would be fantastic.

#LFGM

On 8/18/2022 at 3:09 PM, Gugny said:

deGrom vs. Fried tonight.  

Mets have done pretty well against him this year.  Hopefully they can get to him right out of the gate and chase him early.

After the first two games of this series, escaping with a split would be fantastic.

#LFGM

Obviously disappointing we didn't get the split against the Braves. But I think that was our first series loss to a divisional opponent this year.

Braves aren't going away. 2 of 3 against the Astros was impressive - I was hoping the Astros would help us out more.

9 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Obviously disappointing we didn't get the split against the Braves. But I think that was our first series loss to a divisional opponent this year.

Braves aren't going away. 2 of 3 against the Astros was impressive - I was hoping the Astros would help us out more.

Yeah, the Braves have been hot for quite a while.  Remember ... they had that 14-game winning streak early in the season and the Mets were still able to keep hold of the division.  They are a solid team.  Mets have the 3rd easiest schedule in the league for September.  August has been a brutal stretch, but the Mets have done well.  Marte is on friggin' fire.

I love that they brought Baty up.  Kid looks like he's 12, LOL.  Would love to see him stay up permanently.  We'll see what happens if/when Escobar and/or Guillorme come back. 

I don't know what's keeping them from bringing Francisco Alvarez up.  Michael Perez is almost an automatic out.  Terrible, terrible hitter.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Yeah, the Braves have been hot for quite a while.  Remember ... they had that 14-game winning streak early in the season and the Mets were still able to keep hold of the division.  They are a solid team.  Mets have the 3rd easiest schedule in the league for September.  August has been a brutal stretch, but the Mets have done well.  Marte is on friggin' fire.

I love that they brought Baty up.  Kid looks like he's 12, LOL.  Would love to see him stay up permanently.  We'll see what happens if/when Escobar and/or Guillorme come back. 

I don't know what's keeping them from bringing Francisco Alvarez up.  Michael Perez is almost an automatic out.  Terrible, terrible hitter.

Due to the brutal August scheudle I hadn't looked ahead to September - good to know.

Just a guess on Alvarez but maybe they're not comfortable with him catching for the staff yet.  

32 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Due to the brutal August scheudle I hadn't looked ahead to September - good to know.

Just a guess on Alvarez but maybe they're not comfortable with him catching for the staff yet.  

That's a great point, re: Alvarez.  If you think about it, we haven't had a legitimately good catcher (who can stay healthy) since Piazza retired.  That's a long friggin' time.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/10/2022 at 9:20 AM, Gugny said:

Everything is clicking on all cylinders.  Hopefully, Taiwan can keep things rolling tonight.  Mets are facing another Reds starter making his first start this season.  Beating up on struggling teams is exactly what the Mets should be doing ... and they are.

The Braves series was fantastic.  I honestly would have been fine with winning 2/5.  Winning 4 was insane.

Phillies are red hot.  The next week and a half is full of Braves and Phillies.  This is where we can separate ourselves.  As hot as Atlanta and Philly have been, I'd be perfectly fine splitting both series.  Winning both of them would be icing on a delicious cake.

I love that Buck is stretching the starters.  Love to see guys throwing 7 complete innings and coming out for the 8th.  LOVE IT.  He's doing a fantastic job and we're lucky to have him.

#LFGM !!!

Catching up on reading these posts.  Good call on splitting the series Gugs.  I'm pretty much as cynical as it comes to the Mets in more ways than one.  I still question whether Cohen will be a good owner.  But the team imo certainly earned the right to give them the benefit of the doubt to still win the division.  I have full confidence the team will pull it out.  Besides as you said the September schedule doesn't seem that hard.  Maybe this little stretch can be a wake up call.

My only little concern right now is Lindor in the big spot.  But perhaps I'm just disappointed at Tuesday's finish 

7 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Catching up on reading these posts.  Good call on splitting the series Gugs.  I'm pretty much as cynical as it comes to the Mets in more ways than one.  I still question whether Cohen will be a good owner.  But the team imo certainly earned the right to give them the benefit of the doubt to still win the division.  I have full confidence the team will pull it out.  Besides as you said the September schedule doesn't seem that hard.  Maybe this little stretch can be a wake up call.

My only little concern right now is Lindor in the big spot.  But perhaps I'm just disappointed at Tuesday's finish 

I think that's a fair point. Lindor is having a great year but I can't think of a defining moment he's had in a big spot. 

LAMP time: Got lucky this week, me and friends had targeted tonights game for a visit to Citi Field. By Monday it was down to two of us but we decided to go anyway. Lucked into tickets on stubhub at a below-value price 11 rows from the field by 3rd base. As if that wasn't good enough they pushed Jakes start back to tonight. Good times!

On 8/27/2022 at 10:46 PM, SinceThe70s said:

Anyone catch Old Timers Day? It was outstanding in too many ways to mention. One of the highlights for me was 79 year old Steve Dillon taking the mound. Had never heard of him - pitched to a 9.64 ERA in 3 games split between 1963 and 1964. 

I did not but the whole thing sounded very cool.  First one I believe since 1994

I was in Cincinnati not that long ago.  Looking for something to do for a few hours the Reds have a museum by their stadium.  I did not expect a lot at all but was very impressed by it.  Would recommend to all baseball fans.

But yeah point is it’s real good to see the team embracing it’s history more and more.  Like other clubs seem to do 

On 8/27/2022 at 9:46 PM, SinceThe70s said:

Anyone catch Old Timers Day? It was outstanding in too many ways to mention. One of the highlights for me was 79 year old Steve Dillon taking the mound. Had never heard of him - pitched to a 9.64 ERA in 3 games split between 1963 and 1964. 

On 8/29/2022 at 11:57 AM, Another Fan said:

I did not but the whole thing sounded very cool.  First one I believe since 1994

I was in Cincinnati not that long ago.  Looking for something to do for a few hours the Reds have a museum by their stadium.  I did not expect a lot at all but was very impressed by it.  Would recommend to all baseball fans.

But yeah point is it’s real good to see the team embracing it’s history more and more.  Like other clubs seem to do 

I was in Hampton Beach, NH with my girlfriend.  Had we not had that getaway scheduled, I definitely would have gone to Flushing.

When I went to see the Bills play in Cincinnati a few years back, we went to a bar that was right across the street from that Reds museum.  I would have loved to have been able to check it out.

Would LOVE to get the series win tonight.  Hopefully Kershaw has some rust and we can pounce early like we did last night.

#LFGM!!!

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

I was in Hampton Beach, NH with my girlfriend.  Had we not had that getaway scheduled, I definitely would have gone to Flushing.

When I went to see the Bills play in Cincinnati a few years back, we went to a bar that was right across the street from that Reds museum.  I would have loved to have been able to check it out.

Would LOVE to get the series win tonight.  Hopefully Kershaw has some rust and we can pounce early like we did last night.

#LFGM!!!

Got your wish! Have to admit that I went into this series just hoping we'd be still be ahead of the Braves when it was over. We took care of business and got an assist from the Rockies when they took one from the Braves the other night. Holding the three game lead is fantastic!

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

Got your wish! Have to admit that I went into this series just hoping we'd be still be ahead of the Braves when it was over. We took care of business and got an assist from the Rockies when they took one from the Braves the other night. Holding the three game lead is fantastic!

great series win!  I was not pleased that they only got one run in the first. But luckily he only lasted 6 and we art their bullpen up. Our bullpen continues to kick ass. Great ***** win!!!!

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

great series win!  I was not pleased that they only got one run in the first. But luckily he only lasted 6 and we art their bullpen up. Our bullpen continues to kick ass. Great ***** win!!!!

Very similar to the first game of the series which I thought they lost when they only scored one in the first. Mets ended up winning 4 of their last 5 against LA and took the season series 4-3.

8 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Very similar to the first game of the series which I thought they lost when they only scored one in the first. Mets ended up winning 4 of their last 5 against LA and took the season series 4-3.

Coming into tonight, tied 3-3 in games for the year, the cumulative scores added up to 21-20 Dodgers. 

Clearly the best two teams in the NL. Likely in all of MLB. 

Healthy, I think the Mets win a 7 game series in 5-6 games. 

If we can get some consistency from the DH and from catchers hitting, we are absolutely unbeatable in a post season series. 

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Coming into tonight, tied 3-3 in games for the year, the cumulative scores added up to 21-20 Dodgers. 

Clearly the best two teams in the NL. Likely in all of MLB. 

Healthy, I think the Mets win a 7 game series in 5-6 games. 

If we can get some consistency from the DH and from catchers hitting, we are absolutely unbeatable in a post season series. 

I'm not sleeping on the Braves but I like our chances against anyone. Andyeah, it would be nice to get something offensively from the catchers.

One disappointment this year was Dom. The past week or so Pete has looked gassed. If Dom had played well enough to stick around he could've spelled Pete a few days and maybe he'd be fresher. The only issue I have with Ruf and Vogelbach is they don't see the field very much and that can be limiting.

54 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I'm not sleeping on the Braves but I like our chances against anyone. Andyeah, it would be nice to get something offensively from the catchers.

One disappointment this year was Dom. The past week or so Pete has looked gassed. If Dom had played well enough to stick around he could've spelled Pete a few days and maybe he'd be fresher. The only issue I have with Ruf and Vogelbach is they don't see the field very much and that can be limiting.

I really like Vogelbach, but he’s hitting something like .130 against lefties. Ruf is almost an automatic out. And as you said - not a lot of field time for either.
Totally agree about Dom. Huge disappointment. 

• Like (+1) 1

So that's what I get for saying last week here I have full confidence in this team 😅.     Not the end of the world for the team imo.  I'll chalk the poor weekend up to a combination of these three things:

-Baseball is designed so good teams win 2 out of 3 games and bad teams win 1 out of 3 games.  Doing the math it would probably compute the Nationals would win 1 out of 3 games.

-A natural letdown/taking the foot of the pedal after the impressive series with the Dodgers

-I haven't followed the Nationals this year but it's obvious based on their record it's been a long year for them.  So I'll say they tried extra hard this weekend.  It was their World Series

That being said I still do have full confidence in the team.  However, this is an important week ahead for the team.  The Pirates and Marlins are teams they should beat. Anything 3-3 or less in these games and it won't be a joking matter anymore