Mets fans?

Another Fan

On 3/3/2022 at 8:54 PM, SinceThe70s said:

@Gugny @Another Fan

Nearly a month later and the regular season won't start on time. So much for my optimism. 

I was listening to WFAN yesterday and they were trying to organize a celebrity softball game on what should be MLB opening day. Proceeds would go to stadium workers who will miss out on their paycheck. Probably a lot of hot air to keep listeners tuned in but a great sentiment nonetheless. It hit home harder when I walked into ***** Sporting Goods today looking for a birthday gift for my son and came across an Alonso jersey of questionable quality priced at $130.  

I seem to get more and more disinterested but Buck being the manager now did grab my eyeballs.

Since you have a son interested in baseball, do you know how popular it is with todays youth?  I kinda recall even when I graduated high school 20 years ago Lacrosse was becoming the more popular sport.  

On 3/5/2022 at 9:14 AM, Another Fan said:

I seem to get more and more disinterested but Buck being the manager now did grab my eyeballs.

Since you have a son interested in baseball, do you know how popular it is with todays youth?  I kinda recall even when I graduated high school 20 years ago Lacrosse was becoming the more popular sport.  

I think baseball is declining in popularity compared to other sports. As my kids progressed through Little League I saw the number of teams in the league decline - even to the point that our league merged with a league from a neighboring community. Part of that can be attributed to declining enrollment in the school districts, but I think kids are gravitating to other sports like soccer and lacrosse.

It amazes me how many kids play sports year round. When I grew up each season had it's sport. Nowadays a lot of kids focus on one sport. Even the baseball kids play year round (mine never did). The result is they end up going to travel teams and even when they stick with little league (more at bats than they get with travel) they miss games due to conflicts with travel and there's a wider disparity in talent which can discourages the lesser player.  

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Gugny @Another Fan

Are you guys aware of how the current NYC vax workplace requirements will affect Mets and Yanks unless they change? 

Unvaxed Mets and Yanks are currently not allowed to play at Citi Field or Yankee Stadium.

Here's the kicker: unvaxed players from a visiting team are allowed to play at Citi Field and Yankee Stadiu

Typing this out raised a question I don't have the answer to: if there is a subway series under the current rules would an unvaxed Met be able to play at Yankee Stadium? I'm guessing the answer is yes.

12 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

@Gugny @Another Fan

Are you guys aware of how the current NYC vax workplace requirements will affect Mets and Yanks unless they change? 

Unvaxed Mets and Yanks are currently not allowed to play at Citi Field or Yankee Stadium.

Here's the kicker: unvaxed players from a visiting team are allowed to play at Citi Field and Yankee Stadiu

Typing this out raised a question I don't have the answer to: if there is a subway series under the current rules would an unvaxed Met be able to play at Yankee Stadium? I'm guessing the answer is yes.

I think it's an NYC thing, so no.  Unvaxxed NY team players cannot play in NY stadiums.  That is just my understanding.

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I think it's an NYC thing, so no.  Unvaxxed NY team players cannot play in NY stadiums.  That is just my understanding.

Nets have been dealing with it all season with their star player who is not allowed to play home games. Could be a big issue for NY baseball - but I expect that it will get resolved before opening day. Circling back to the Nets that would p!ss me off if I was a fan.

8 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Nets have been dealing with it all season with their star player who is not allowed to play home games. Could be a big issue for NY baseball - but I expect that it will get resolved before opening day. Circling back to the Nets that would p!ss me off if I was a fan.

I think Toronto players are subject to the same rule, too.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

@Gugny @Another Fan This is equal parts awesome and embarrassing. Fortunately the awesome part is current. Buck embraces Keith calling him Mets Royalty and wanting him to contribute in ways that past Mets regimes would not allow:  

https://risingapple.com/posts/ny-mets-news-keith-hernandez-batting-cage-ban

This is fantastic news!  Thanks for sharing!

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

@Gugny @Another Fan This is equal parts awesome and embarrassing. Fortunately the awesome part is current. Buck embraces Keith calling him Mets Royalty and wanting him to contribute in ways that past Mets regimes would not allow:  

https://risingapple.com/posts/ny-mets-news-keith-hernandez-batting-cage-ban

Im perhaps not the best judge of this but I never understood why at the very least #17 got some consideration to be a retired number.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

@Another Fan @SinceThe70s - Season hasn't even started and deGrom an Scherzer are both down.  deGrom out for months.  I am always super optimistic going into the season, but this is NOT good.  I think we could be fuct.

Hate to say it but I'm concerned deGrom is finished. Scherzer is a hammy so I'm less concerned.

Have you heard the latest trade rumor: Dom for Eric Hosmer and Chris Paddack. 

Just now, SinceThe70s said:

Hate to say it but I'm concerned deGrom is finished. Scherzer is a hammy so I'm less concerned.

Have you heard the latest trade rumor: Dom for Eric Hosmer and Chris Paddack. 

I did hear about the trade.  Hosmer would be an expensive add-on, similar to when we had to take Cano when we got Rodriguez.  There is no place on the roster for Hosmer - not to mention, I still hate his guts from the World Series.  And I also read that they're trying Cano out at 1B.  Mets continuing to do Metsy things.  A little frustrating.  Scherzer does concern me because of his age.  And I agree that Jake might be toast.

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I did hear about the trade.  Hosmer would be an expensive add-on, similar to when we had to take Cano when we got Rodriguez.  There is no place on the roster for Hosmer - not to mention, I still hate his guts from the World Series.  And I also read that they're trying Cano out at 1B.  Mets continuing to do Metsy things.  A little frustrating.  Scherzer does concern me because of his age.  And I agree that Jake might be toast.

Yeah, i figure the Hosmer thing is Cohen flexing his financial muscles to bring in a pitcher. Hosmer isn't a fit - but I guess you could say he's  the same square peg as Dom.

On a side note I saw Dom in a spring training interview and man he looked and sounded great. Can't believe how far he's come since he first came up and looked like a guy in desperate need of a pillow. I had no use for him back then, but I'm a big fan now.

30 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Yeah, i figure the Hosmer thing is Cohen flexing his financial muscles to bring in a pitcher. Hosmer isn't a fit - but I guess you could say he's  the same square peg as Dom.

On a side note I saw Dom in a spring training interview and man he looked and sounded great. Can't believe how far he's come since he first came up and looked like a guy in desperate need of a pillow. I had no use for him back then, but I'm a big fan now.

After a very unimpressive rookie season, Dom has dedicated himself to being better and yes, I agree, it has shown.  He was supposed to be our next Keith Hernandez.  Alonso said "hold my beer."  But Dom has been great.  I'd much rather keep him, but would also love to see him as a true 1B on another team and to kick ass.  He handled the transition to LF very well and has been a great team player and always prepared to play.

Mets seem to insist on playing people out of position and it burns my ass.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Gugny said:

After a very unimpressive rookie season, Dom has dedicated himself to being better and yes, I agree, it has shown.  He was supposed to be our next Keith Hernandez.  Alonso said "hold my beer."  But Dom has been great.  I'd much rather keep him, but would also love to see him as a true 1B on another team and to kick ass.  He handled the transition to LF very well and has been a great team player and always prepared to play.

Mets seem to insist on playing people out of position and it burns my ass.

Case in point: are they really planning on moving Marte to RF and keeping Nimmo in CF?

@Gugny@SinceThe70s

Well good start so far.  I think the Mets might have the best opening day record all-time?  It's the rest of the year lol.

Do you guys do the Apple TV?  Someone at work was telling me about it yesterday.  I don't have it presently.  Don't know the deal with it.  Are most Mets games being shown on it this year?  

Edited by Another Fan

52 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

@Gugny@SinceThe70s

Well good start so far.  I think the Mets might have the best opening day record all-time?  It's the rest of the year lol.

Do you guys do the Apple TV?  Someone at work was telling me about it yesterday.  I don't have it presently.  Don't know the deal with it.  Are most Mets games being shown on it this year?  

Apple TV has a Friday night package this year, different teams each week. The Friday night games are exclusive to Apple TV but free - you just need to set up an Apple account if you don't have one already. The Apple TV broadcast last night was God-awful in every way imaginable. At one point I turned off the volume and tried listening to radio but there was a half-batter delay so that didn't work.

As I'm watching last night I started reading Buck's comments about the three Mets that got hit in the opener. His premise was that it wasn't intentional but it's still not acceptable. He actually made the point that the pitchers should be able to use stuff that let's them grip the ball better - the same way a batter is allowed to. Then I look up at the TV in time to see Lindor take one off his chin.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Apple TV has a Friday night package this year, different teams each week. The Friday night games are exclusive to Apple TV but free - you just need to set up an Apple account if you don't have one already. The Apple TV broadcast last night was God-awful in every way imaginable. At one point I turned off the volume and tried listening to radio but there was a half-batter delay so that didn't work.

As I'm watching last night I started reading Buck's comments about the three Mets that got hit in the opener. His premise was that it wasn't intentional but it's still not acceptable. He actually made the point that the pitchers should be able to use stuff that let's them grip the ball better - the same way a batter is allowed to. Then I look up at the TV in time to see Lindor take one off his chin.

I have no qualms criticizing or goofing on the Mets at times.....  with that said Gary/Ronnie/Keith are the best in the biz at the broadcasts.  Insightful commentary without being homers.  

5 hours ago, Another Fan said:

I have no qualms criticizing or goofing on the Mets at times.....  with that said Gary/Ronnie/Keith are the best in the biz at the broadcasts.  Insightful commentary without being homers.  

3-0 start and we got to listen to the best in the biz tonight. Good times.