Mets fans?

Another Fan

@Gugny @SinceThe70s

Hey guys.  Still try to check in here every now and then to hear your guys takes on stuff.  

Well yesterday was the first game I watched some of in a while.  At least it was a win.  But I feel really really foolish taking it for granted the team could coast to an 85 win season and win the division last month.  

I think Cohen's honeymoon as owner has just about came to an end.  I thought initially he definitely talked a good game but I still wanted to see on the field results before I christened him the savior of the franchise.  It's ultimately just lip service as far as I'm concerned.  

That being said even if the year does turn out to be a total bust, I'd give the benefit of the doubt there's a learning curve involved for him.  It should be interesting.  

On 8/23/2021 at 8:17 PM, Another Fan said:

@Gugny @SinceThe70s

Hey guys.  Still try to check in here every now and then to hear your guys takes on stuff.  

Well yesterday was the first game I watched some of in a while.  At least it was a win.  But I feel really really foolish taking it for granted the team could coast to an 85 win season and win the division last month.  

I think Cohen's honeymoon as owner has just about came to an end.  I thought initially he definitely talked a good game but I still wanted to see on the field results before I christened him the savior of the franchise.  It's ultimately just lip service as far as I'm concerned.  

That being said even if the year does turn out to be a total bust, I'd give the benefit of the doubt there's a learning curve involved for him.  It should be interesting.  

To me this season is about two things: injuries and under-performers. The first half run gave me a lot of hope because they were doing it in spite of a ridiculous number of injuries and some gross under-performers (I'm looking at you Lindor and Conforto). I kept hoping they'd get healthy and Lindor, Conforto and others would come back to center, but neither happened. Hell, even if DeGrom had come back we'd probably still be in the mix, not to mention Thor. They bring in Baez and what happens? He gets hurt. They bring in Cameron Maybin and what happens? He goes 1-28.  Some of the big moments of the first half came from the likes of Billy McKinney, Pat Mazeika and Johneshwhy Fargas.  And yet through all of that they were still in first.

In hindsight they would have been better off with Springer over Lindor. They don't have a true CFer, they have a LFer playing right and a 1B playing LF. And a DH playing 3B many nights.

Not sure what to think of the manager, nothing I particularly love or hate about the guy.

The guy I have no use for is the GM. Every time he opens his mouth I want him to shut it.  One of the hopes/rumors from last off-season is we'd bring in Theo Epstein. I'm still on board with that.

On 8/26/2021 at 6:44 PM, SinceThe70s said:

To me this season is about two things: injuries and under-performers. The first half run gave me a lot of hope because they were doing it in spite of a ridiculous number of injuries and some gross under-performers (I'm looking at you Lindor and Conforto). I kept hoping they'd get healthy and Lindor, Conforto and others would come back to center, but neither happened. Hell, even if DeGrom had come back we'd probably still be in the mix, not to mention Thor. They bring in Baez and what happens? He gets hurt. They bring in Cameron Maybin and what happens? He goes 1-28.  Some of the big moments of the first half came from the likes of Billy McKinney, Pat Mazeika and Johneshwhy Fargas.  And yet through all of that they were still in first.

In hindsight they would have been better off with Springer over Lindor. They don't have a true CFer, they have a LFer playing right and a 1B playing LF. And a DH playing 3B many nights.

Not sure what to think of the manager, nothing I particularly love or hate about the guy.

The guy I have no use for is the GM. Every time he opens his mouth I want him to shut it.  One of the hopes/rumors from last off-season is we'd bring in Theo Epstein. I'm still on board with that.

Just from what I read here I'd give Rojas another season but wouldn't lose sleep if they go in a different direction.  I am not making excuses at all for Lindor but a lot of guys struggle their first year in New York after being traded from a more laid back market.  See what Cohen does in the offseason.  

Did you watch any of the Koosman ceremony?  He was before my time but it seemed long overdue.

You might be familiar with this show Growing Pains.  I liked it as a kid.  The writers must have been Mets fans.  The main families name was the Seavers and the Koosmans were the family next door that were never seen.  It was supposed to be taking place on Long Island as well 😁

50 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Just from what I read here I'd give Rojas another season but wouldn't lose sleep if they go in a different direction.  I am not making excuses at all for Lindor but a lot of guys struggle their first year in New York after being traded from a more laid back market.  See what Cohen does in the offseason.  

Did you watch any of the Koosman ceremony?  He was before my time but it seemed long overdue.

You might be familiar with this show Growing Pains.  I liked it as a kid.  The writers must have been Mets fans.  The main families name was the Seavers and the Koosmans were the family next door that were never seen.  It was supposed to be taking place on Long Island as well 😁

Agreed on Lindor's first year in NY. But I'd feel better if he went on a mini-tear in the next few weeks. 

I watched the Koosman ceremony, great stuff. I started watching the Mets in earnest in the early 70's. Koosman was always second fiddle to Seaver who was just on another level. The other pitcher that was great was Jon Matlack but he didn't have the career Koosman had. Nice to see Kooz get his due. 

I remember hearing about the Seavers and Growing Pains but not Koosman. That was around the time I graduated college so that show wasn't in my wheelhouse. Cool trivia though.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

@Gugny @Another Fan

Thoughts on the Baez thumbs down comments? 

I try not to overreact, but this feels like a watershed moment for Cohen. I would cut Baez tomorrow.

Reasons like that are why I have no emotional attachment to ball players in my mid 30s.

Yeah I’m not the type to boo people unless they aren’t giving effort.  But they gotta understand that comes with the territory. Especially Lindor.  If you want all the glory of a 350 million contract you gotta takes the crap that comes along with it.  

screw them 

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Gugny @SinceThe70s

Hi Guys,

Just curious if you are going to watch this series

I might check it out eventually.  From my local library though I've read The Bad Guys Won, Doc's bio, and Darryl's bio Finding My Way.  I mean I think I've heard most of the stories of that club.  Cootersgate for example lol.  The plane ride back after Game 6 in Houston.  

I'm not feeling it at the moment.  But if you guys recommend I might start 

On 9/14/2021 at 8:49 PM, Another Fan said:

@Gugny @SinceThe70s

Hi Guys,

Just curious if you are going to watch this series

I might check it out eventually.  From my local library though I've read The Bad Guys Won, Doc's bio, and Darryl's bio Finding My Way.  I mean I think I've heard most of the stories of that club.  Cootersgate for example lol.  The plane ride back after Game 6 in Houston.  

I'm not feeling it at the moment.  But if you guys recommend I might start 

I definitely would like to see it. Never read any of the books but I've heard some of the stories. Really want to watch it with my youngest son. Both my boys are Mets/Bills fans but the younger one is more passionate. Plus the elder is off to college.

A minute after my post above the Fox announcers doing Mets/Phillies said that one of the rumors is Billy Beane to the Mets this off-season. That came out of left field (groan)

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/18/2021 at 8:49 PM, SinceThe70s said:

I definitely would like to see it. Never read any of the books but I've heard some of the stories. Really want to watch it with my youngest son. Both my boys are Mets/Bills fans but the younger one is more passionate. Plus the elder is off to college.

A minute after my post above the Fox announcers doing Mets/Phillies said that one of the rumors is Billy Beane to the Mets this off-season. That came out of left field (groan)

Well Beane worked with Sandy in Oakland I believe.  I respect all that saber metric stuff it’s just not my thing.  Imo it takes the heart out of the game

I get the passion fandom stuff too.  Baseball in the early 2000s waned on me in general too some extent.  Even then I thought the game seemed too corporate and I thought even before it hit the fan, why did guys seem much bigger in the 2000s than the 80s?  But I did love reading stories of the 80s Mets teams.  

When I started working full time I got into Buffalo football again.  Pretty hard core at times.  Ironically the Gailey era was probably the height of my fandom.  Even now with the team good sports fandom kind of waned.  It just feels engrained me though to still follow.  

I think part of it at my age (mid 30s), I’m older than most the players now and understanding the business aspects.  Kinda disappointed in Pegula 

Edited by Another Fan

• 1 month later...

@Gugny @Another Fan Once in awhile I come across something that I have to share with my TBD Mets brethren.

I haven't watched much post season baseball but turned it on tonight and saw Astros pitching coach Brent Strom come out for a mound visit. Holy $%&% - I haven't heard that name since my childhood. Looked it up and he pitched in 11 games for the Mets in 1972!  I remember him from either a baseball card, a 1972 Mets yearbook or maybe a scorecard from that year - not sure at all.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

@Gugny @Another Fan Once in awhile I come across something that I have to share with my TBD Mets brethren.

I haven't watched much post season baseball but turned it on tonight and saw Astros pitching coach Brent Strom come out for a mound visit. Holy $%&% - I haven't heard that name since my childhood. Looked it up and he pitched in 11 games for the Mets in 1972!  I remember him from either a baseball card, a 1972 Mets yearbook or maybe a scorecard from that year - not sure at all.

The only Brent I recall in my lifetime as a Met was Brent Mayne.  Was a backup catcher for Todd Hundley back in the 90's.  Have any recollection of him?

I haven't watched a minute of postseason baseball but if I had to pick series winner I think it'd be Atlanta.  Never thought I'd see the day I'd say that.  

I never disliked the Yankees growing up so it was easy for me to root for them against the Braves back in 96 and 99.  My middle and high school days 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

The only Brent I recall in my lifetime as a Met was Brent Mayne.  Was a backup catcher for Todd Hundley back in the 90's.  Have any recollection of him?

I haven't watched a minute of postseason baseball but if I had to pick series winner I think it'd be Atlanta.  Never thought I'd see the day I'd say that.  

I never disliked the Yankees growing up so it was easy for me to root for them against the Braves back in 96 and 99.  My middle and high school days 

Absolutely remember Brent Mayne. Prototypical backup catcher - which is not a negative statement. It's amazing to me how many players I remember from years past. Not so much lately. Now I'm watching my boys who know the players while they ridicule me - circle of life. Good times.

When my boys were young I took them to a Mets/Braves game, warned them that Chipper was a Met-killer and then watched him get a big hit.  My Chipper is their Freddie Freeman. But yeah, I'll take the Braves over the Astros this year - never thought I'd see the day I rooted for the Braves.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

Absolutely remember Brent Mayne. Prototypical backup catcher - which is not a negative statement. It's amazing to me how many players I remember from years past. Not so much lately. Now I'm watching my boys who know the players while they ridicule me - circle of life. Good times.

When my boys were young I took them to a Mets/Braves game, warned them that Chipper was a Met-killer and then watched him get a big hit.  My Chipper is their Freddie Freeman. But yeah, I'll take the Braves over the Astros this year - never thought I'd see the day I rooted for the Braves.

Definitely remember Brent Mayne!   And I am also rooting for Atlanta in this series.  Can't stand the Astros' cheating asses.  If it was a Dodgers/Astros series, I wouldn't watch.  Hate them both.

On another note, I'm very concerned that none of the President/GM candidates want anything to do with the Mets.  Very concerned.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

Definitely remember Brent Mayne!   And I am also rooting for Atlanta in this series.  Can't stand the Astros' cheating asses.  If it was a Dodgers/Astros series, I wouldn't watch.  Hate them both.

On another note, I'm very concerned that none of the President/GM candidates want anything to do with the Mets.  Very concerned.

#MeToo

It was a bad sign when the guy who brought a WS to two big markets that hadn't won in ages wasn't 'a good fit' for the Mets.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

Granted I don’t follow them on a daily basis or all their organizational moves.

But the vibes I get so far even though it’s a new owner are the culture around the organization hasn’t changed very much 

3 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Granted I don’t follow them on a daily basis or all their organizational moves.

But the vibes I get so far even though it’s a new owner are the culture around the organization hasn’t changed very much 

I think Cohen has made some changes to the culture, but my worry is that he wants too much control and that's scaring away the top candidates.  If that's the case, then he can change as much about the culture as he wants to ... but if he doesn't change that part (control) we could be in for a long, rough ride.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

@Gugny @Another Fan

Damn, who knew the Ratgate would still have legs. According to the story, Lindor actually grabbed McNeil by the throat.  I wonder who leaked the story - maybe the recently fired Zack Scott

https://nypost.com/2021/11/03/francisco-lindor-grabbed-jeff-mcneil-by-throat-during-mets-spat/

Trying to put a positive spin on this, at least the team handled it properly at the time.  I'm sure teammates fight all the time.  Dozens of alpha males from different cultures and it's inevitable.  But I, too, would love to know the source of the leak.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Trying to put a positive spin on this, at least the team handled it properly at the time.  I'm sure teammates fight all the time.  Dozens of alpha males from different cultures and it's inevitable.  But I, too, would love to know the source of the leak.

Completely agree - sh!t happens and if it's handled in-house effectively who cares. At the time I thought Lindor handled it well with the rat story that was so ridiculous that it was a giant middle finger to prying eyes.

The timing with the GM getting cut loose makes sense. If so, what a douche. 

• Agree 1