Mets fans?

Another Fan

46 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

The first name that popped up in my head was Mike Schmidt.

Yup, that's the era. Only third baseman to win back to back MVP's!

Greg Lusinski was another lesser known great from those teams.

And who can forget: "Water covers two thirds of the earth...Garry Maddox covers the rest!"

15 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Yup, that's the era. Only third baseman to win back to back MVP's!

Greg Lusinski was another lesser known great from those teams.

And who can forget: "Water covers two thirds of the earth...Garry Maddox covers the rest!"

How could I forget about the "Bull",since I am polish.I remember the days of that old division well. We played on horrible plastic carpets in Montreal,Philadelphia,Pittsburgh and I think the Cardinals.I'll bet a lot of former players have arthritis these days..they were basically playing on concrete.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

How about this guy.  Maybe not you guys but I imagine the average baseball forgot he was a Met at one point.  

CD95477C-56E2-4A71-AF11-B6DE6FB68F70.jpeg

Holy crap. I wish I could say I forgot that, but Bowa as a Met didn't even register and I had to google.

Bob Boone was a decent catcher for those Phillies teams and brought us Bret and Aaron. 

8 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Holy crap. I wish I could say I forgot that, but Bowa as a Met didn't even register and I had to google.

Bob Boone was a decent catcher for those Phillies teams and brought us Bret and Aaron. 

There were a lot of notable players that spent time with the Mets and Phillies when you think about it:

Nails

Roger McDowell

Wally Backman

Pedro Martinez

Bobby Abreu

Rico Brogna

Im sure I’m missing some 

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

There were a lot of notable players that spent time with the Mets and Phillies when you think about it:

Nails

Roger McDowell

Wally Backman

Pedro Martinez

Bobby Abreu

Rico Brogna

Im sure I’m missing some 

Rico Brogna! Nice.

But how could you forget Dykstra? :) And then you have to include Juan Samuel.

For the old folks: Del Unser and Mac Scarce (and no, I didn't make that name up)

6 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Rico Brogna! Nice.

But how could you forget Dykstra? :) And then you have to include Juan Samuel.

For the old folks: Del Unser and Mac Scarce (and no, I didn't make that name up)

Well that’s who I meant by Nails lol

A bit of trivia, Rico hit the first HR in Coors Field when he played on the Mets 

Edited by Another Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Complete game (including a rain delay), 0 earned runs and he's finally over .500. The season Jacob is having is remarkable. I'm happy for his individual success, seems like a great guy. A great competitor without the attitude.

Lets Go Mets.

He deserves the Cy Young.  With some run support, he'd be running away with it.  I still think, if he keeps this up, that he'll win it.

18 minutes ago, Gugny said:

He deserves the Cy Young.  With some run support, he'd be running away with it.  I still think, if he keeps this up, that he'll win it.

IMO, if the season ended last week he deserved it. Yankee game and today just added to my opinion. But with 6 weeks left a lot can happen. Scherzer and Nola are crushing it too. Jacob's ERA will need to continue to be much better to win it. Right now its 1.71/2.11/2.24. If that tightens up or Scherzer/Nola have big games in big spots it will be a tougher sell to give it to a guy on a bad team.

Just now, SinceThe70s said:

IMO, if the season ended last week he deserved it. Yankee game and today just added to my opinion. But with 6 weeks left a lot can happen. Scherzer and Nola are crushing it too. Jacob's ERA will need to continue to be much better to win it. Right now its 1.71/2.11/2.24. If that tightens up or Scherzer/Nola have big games in big spots it will be a tougher sell to give it to a guy on a bad team.

I was listening to the game on the radio.  They said that Jason Vargas would have to pitch 188 consecutive scoreless innings in order to reach deGrom's ERA.

That is !@#$ing hilarious.  I love stats like that.

Just now, Gugny said:

I was listening to the game on the radio.  They said that Jason Vargas would have to pitch 188 consecutive scoreless innings in order to reach deGrom's ERA.

That is !@#$ing hilarious.  I love stats like that.

That's great.

During the telecast they mentioned that Arietta gave up more runs in his 7 losses then DeGrom has given up all year.

• Like (+1) 1

How many years have they been playing this Wiliamsport game? It was new to me, what a cool idea. Best part was hearing the crack of the bat.

And maybe I should head over to PPP but this cracked me up. I was asking my youngest which Little League team was sitting behind home plate and he told me it was Mexico. I  wondered out loud why they got so lucky and he told me it was probably because Trump would "shoo them away" afterward. 

• Haha (+1) 2

14 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

How many years have they been playing this Wiliamsport game? It was new to me, what a cool idea. Best part was hearing the crack of the bat.

And maybe I should head over to PPP but this cracked me up. I was asking my youngest which Little League team was sitting behind home plate and he told me it was Mexico. I  wondered out loud why they got so lucky and he told me it was probably because Trump would "shoo them away" afterward. 

Your boys must be loving "Big Al".That kid is a classic...players from both sides were tracking him down for a "rap". "Hi,my name is Big Al and I hit dingers".Yeah,baby!

• Like (+1) 1

I came across the following this morning and thought it was pretty good. The main theme is Hall of Fame players with a get off my lawn mentality about the current state of baseball. It's definitely a one-sided article, could've used more perspective from the analytics folks, but ironically the writer uses stats throughout.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2791455-i-find-it-very-difficult-to-watch-why-mlb-greats-think-baseballs-in-trouble?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

3 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

I came across the following this morning and thought it was pretty good. The main theme is Hall of Fame players with a get off my lawn mentality about the current state of baseball. It's definitely a one-sided article, could've used more perspective from the analytics folks, but ironically the writer uses stats throughout.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2791455-i-find-it-very-difficult-to-watch-why-mlb-greats-think-baseballs-in-trouble?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

That was a sad article to read and it's full of animosity for the most part. We have pitchers going 5 per on 7 yr 200 million dollar contracts.Those pitchers in the article went a average of 7/8 for far less money..and that bothers them. People complained about the length of the games..so they cut down mound visits and widened the strike zone...but yet,players like Moronta can bend over to toss the rosin bag around before and after every pitch...it's a no win situation,imo.After a beautiful Sunday night game in Williamsport i was as high as a kite about the game...I'm a bit bitter after reading that..but there is some truth in it. P.S.- We have had more open seats than ever,because tanking is now acceptable...take a look at the numbers,would you pay $75 bucks to go see the Orioles,Rangers etc play? Also...bring back the Saturday afternoon games,years ago the schedule was full of those...now you might see a game or two on the schedule.Things are fixable.