Mets fans?

Another Fan

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

RIP to a legend today.  It was 14 years ago to the date when Bob Murphy passed away.

https://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/04/sports/bob-murphy-79-an-original-voice-of-the-mets.html

I always liked as a kid and teenager hearing his genuine optimism and happy recaps.  Always professional in his broadcasting as well 

Yeah I grew up on Kiner, Murphy and Nelson. The happy recaps were classic, but do you remember "and the Mets win the damn thing!"

https://www.amazinavenue.com/2013/7/25/4553784/new-york-mets-history-july-25-bob-murphy-says-mets-win-damn-game

10 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Jerry Haworth loved the guy,like Tom Cheek loved Ernie Witt.

i think he was captured best in his tilt with Odor, he gestured as to move in and got his world rocked by a much smaller man

and since he really showed no personal or emotional or team-leading side at all, it wasn't easy to put into place....

3 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Yeah I grew up on Kiner, Murphy and Nelson. The happy recaps were classic, but do you remember "and the Mets win the damn thing!"

https://www.amazinavenue.com/2013/7/25/4553784/new-york-mets-history-july-25-bob-murphy-says-mets-win-damn-game

Nah unfortunately that was one year before I started really following baseball, was only 6 then.  The 1991 Mets were the team I’d watch and picked up on all the rules of the game.

Thst must have been something though for him to say that!  Murphy was the best

Edited by Another Fan

I saw a stat SNY posted after tonight’s game that it’s been literally over 100 years a starter with as low an ERA DeGrom has, has as poor a win-loss percentage.

If it wasn’t for DeGrom batting as well tonight the Mets only got one base hit.  To quote Bob Uecker from Major League, One Hit just One Damn Hit!  Don’t worry Monty nobody’s probably listening anyway....

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I saw a stat SNY posted after tonight’s game that it’s been literally over 100 years a starter with as low an ERA DeGrom has, has as poor a win-loss percentage.

If it wasn’t for DeGrom batting as well tonight the Mets only got one base hit.  To quote Bob Uecker from Major League, One Hit just One Damn Hit!  Don’t worry Monty nobody’s probably listening anyway....

Nice stat and nice point about the Mets other hit. 

It's mind boggling that DeGrom is pitching this well and sitting at 5-7. King Felix won a Cy Young with a 13-12 record. I'd love to see a comparison of the run support he got that year vs. what DeGrom's gotten this year. 

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Personally,I feel the Cy Young Award should go to the pitcher who has the lowest ERA and WHIP numbers.It shouldn't be so complicated....if just one or two writers got a crap interview from a player who is truly deserving that could sway the voting results.If the national media is as good as they think they are..it's a no brainer deGrom is the best pitcher in baseball right now.

Edited by Misterbluesky

2 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Personally,I feel the Cy Young Award should go to the pitcher who has the lowest ERA and WHIP numbers.It shouldn't be so complicated....if just one or two writers got a crap interview from a player who is truly deserving that could sway the voting results.If the national media is as good as they think they are..it's a no brainer deGrom is the best pitcher in baseball right now.

If DeGrom continues on this pace it will be an interesting vote. When King Felix won the Cy there was a mini-uproar because of the won-loss record, but a general consensus they got it right. Since then stats/analytics have become even more ingrained in player evaluations. If the season ended today I think DeGrom would deserve it.

BTW, since the 70's (groan) I've thought ERA was one of the truest stats in the game. More recently I've come to like WHIP as well, although I still think there's room for subjective evaluation.

Anyway, as bad as this season has and will continue to be, Lets Go Mets!

15 hours ago, Another Fan said:

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Well one of the few positives from this year has been Wheeler.  Another great effort tonight.  I’m starting to believe more and more he’s getting it together.  

He sure looks healthy and appears to have lost the "over thinking" part of his.pitching skills.As Darling said back in ST, "He has enough raw talent to just throw the ball".

• Like (+1) 1

I was at the game tonight, Wheeler looked really good. Their was a nice crowd on hand due to the Thor bobble head give away. 

The mets played small ball and they won. Just like how it was they were getting it done in the beginning of the year. 

I'm hoping they call up Alonso in September. It’d be nice to have a young infield. But, his defense is lacking and they’re saying that is the main reason behind delaying his call up. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Captain Murica said:

I'm hoping they call up Alonso in September. It’d be nice to have a young infield. But, his defense is lacking and they’re saying that is the main reason behind delaying his call up. 

He's only at .235. I still want to see Borenstein get the call up as well.

18 hours ago, Captain Murica said:

I was at the game tonight, Wheeler looked really good. Their was a nice crowd on hand due to the Thor bobble head give away. 

The mets played small ball and they won. Just like how it was they were getting it done in the beginning of the year. 

Glad you had a good time!

With that said I only caught the 10th inning today.  Looks like they reverted to form!  Guy on second with no outs and they couldn’t bring him home.

2 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Glad you had a good time!

With that said I only caught the 10th inning today.  Looks like they reverted to form!  Guy on second with no outs and they couldn’t bring him home.

Yup, I did the same. I figured Bautista being a vet that he could at least produce a fly ball, I was wrong.

McNeil needs to play every day. He hits and does the little things right. Pulls the ball to the right side in the first inning with a man on second. Next batter Flores gets an Infield Hit and an RBI.

Mets did a video tribute for Harvey before the game tonight, which came as a surprise to me.

He also seemed contrite and actually likable in the clips I saw of his dugout interview. What a shame that he never became the pitcher we all thought he'd be for us.

On 8/4/2018 at 11:04 PM, Captain Murica said:

Dude.  I was there, too.  Wish I'd have known!!!

So Callaway goes to Ricco's office and asks him to take the For Sale off of Wheeler's back and he does.This tells me the two of them will be back next year,with Ricco taking over as the GM. I have mixed emotions about keeping both Callaway and DiSarcinia...I guess I will just chalk up the 2018 season as one that was a learning.experience for the duo.In addition...the trio was given the green light to actually buy if they saw a good fit.Say goodbye to a total rebuild...

Edited by Misterbluesky

20 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

So Callaway goes to Ricco's office and asks him to take the For Sale off of Wheeler's back and he does.This tells me the two of them will be back next year,with Ricco taking over as the GM. I have mixed emotions about keeping both Callaway and DiSarcinia...I guess I will just chalk up the 2018 season as one that was a learning.experience for the duo.In addition...the trio was given the green light to actually buy if they saw a good fit.Say goodbye to a total rebuild...

I wouldn't rule out Callaway getting canned.  I'm glad we're not in total rebuild mode.  Just need to get rid of the old ass deadweight (Bruce, Frazier, Bautista) and work on the bullpen, IMO.  I think a better-managed team has a much better record at this point in the season.