Mets fans?

Another Fan

31 minutes ago, jr1 said:

how can you lose by 21 runs in the era of the shift, sabermetrics etc

I guess it doesn’t deliver Utopia

stil all about throwing and hitting the crap out of the ball when it matters?

8 hours ago, Gugny said:

I actually said to myself, "at least Valentine would have made this fun."  Then Callaway put Reyes in.

Best move he's made since April.

Can't fire his sorry ass soon enough.

I know your a big Bobby V guy but the reality is I don’t think another manager like that is coming.  Wally Backman never got a chance to manage in the big leagues with the organization either.  Ownership seems to prefer cheaper managers just happy to have a job.  Doubleday still had some say back in Bobby Vs day.

I think your criticisms of Calloway are legit but idk man I’m just not optimistic firing him will solve things.

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

Gotta stop hoping worn out Blue Jays greats can bail the Mets out.

Batista yeah agree but Alomar from memory was still at the top of his game the year before.  Olerud was here a few successful years but it seems like a really long time ago already 

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

I know your a big Bobby V guy but the reality is I don’t think another manager like that is coming.  Wally Backman never got a chance to manage in the big leagues with the organization either.  Ownership seems to prefer cheaper managers just happy to have a job.  Doubleday still had some say back in Bobby Vs day.

I think your criticisms of Calloway are legit but idk man I’m just not optimistic firing him will solve things.

Batista yeah agree but Alomar from memory was still at the top of his game the year before.  Olerud was here a few successful years but it seems like a really long time ago already 

forgot about Johnny O, he was the Man.

Alomar was beyond his prime by his Mets years and his innate weirdness had surfaced as well, to his detriment.

Roberto was probably the only pro athlete of my life in Toronto  who was the top 1 or 2 at his position, in his prime, contributing mightily to a Championship, let alone two of them.

---------------------------------------------------------

turned it off in the 3rd, been a long work week already

tuned in for Reyes in the 8th, and Keith saying he went for scalps when a position player was pitching, mentioned one mammoth home run off (I forget) with great pride

:D

Interesting aftermath to last nights drubbing. Shawn Kelley got nicked up for a few runs in the 9th and had issues with the umps over how fast he was pitching. After he gave up a HR he had a mini-tantrum and threw his glove to the ground. Today the Nat's DFA's him.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/24253305/washington-nationals-dfa-shawn-kelley-throwing-tantrum-mound

So somehow the Nat's managed to come away from a 25-4 whitewash of the Mets with a slightly bad taste in their mouth. 

27 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Interesting aftermath to last nights drubbing. Shawn Kelley got nicked up for a few runs in the 9th and had issues with the umps over how fast he was pitching. After he gave up a HR he had a mini-tantrum and threw his glove to the ground. Today the Nat's DFA's him.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/24253305/washington-nationals-dfa-shawn-kelley-throwing-tantrum-mound

So somehow the Nat's managed to come away from a 25-4 whitewash of the Mets with a slightly bad taste in their mouth. 

they are upset the team isn't playing .600 ball this year

geez, i'd trade the Mets and Jays year in a heartbeat for the slightly disappointing Nats season...

10 minutes ago, row_33 said:

geez, i'd trade the Mets and Jays year in a heartbeat for the slightly disappointing Nats season...

Another example of the Nats not putting up with bush league behavior.  Good for them, I say.  They've been a team of thugs and asssholes for years.  Perhaps it's time for an image change.

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Another example of the Nats not putting up with bush league behavior.  Good for them, I say.  They've been a team of thugs and asssholes for years.  Perhaps it's time for an image change.

went to a game there a few summers ago, they lost and the post-game presser consisted of the Nats manager taking on at least a dozen really thoughtful and hard questions from the media

they haven't asked a single question of that nature in Toronto starting in 1977, the current manager would cry and have to be stretchered out if he faced that kind of thing

27 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Interesting stat...we were 12-12 in July,Nats went 11-14. June killed us (5-21). 

Wilmer's somewhere in outer space today....Reyes went yard from.both sides but our 8th inning defensive play cost us this one.

44 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The plot thickens. Who knows whether this is just spin from the agent but the claim is that Kelley was upset because one ump was telling him to speed up and another to slow down.  Still doesn't excuse his tantrum.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/24256076/washington-nationals-reliever-shawn-kelley-says-umpires-sparked-mound-tantrum

Defrancesco has Borenstein playing some LF now,proving he can play all the spots in the OF..another reason why the Jackson signing was a useless one,since he has the range of Bruce. Do you fellas know who put in the word to the trio??? Callaway did...another mistake on the long list of poor decisions. Heck..I'm beginning to think he has more pull in the organization than the "MIA" Collins does.

21 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Defrancesco has Borenstein playing some LF now,proving he can play all the spots in the OF..another reason why the Jackson signing was a useless one,since he has the range of Bruce. Do you fellas know who put in the word to the trio??? Callaway did...another mistake on the long list of poor decisions. Heck..I'm beginning to think he has more pull in the organization than the "MIA" Collins does.

Not sure what's up with your boy Borenstein, but I seriously doubt Callaway is the blocker. Calloway barely knows whats going on in his own dugout and the games he manages let alone what's available in the minors, through trades or free agency. From what I can tell (see the Cespedes situation) he and the trio don't even talk.

4 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Not sure what's up with your boy Borenstein, but I seriously doubt Callaway is the blocker. Calloway barely knows whats going on in his own dugout and the games he manages let alone what's available in the minors, through trades or free agency. From what I can tell (see the Cespedes situation) he and the trio don't even talk.

I'm not suggesting Callaway blocked any move,I'm just saying we have a possible future stud playing at a level where he no longer belongs at this point of the season.Yet..this half (full in the blank) current inner staff goes out and signs another Bautista.God as my witness,I could run this team better than the trio.Priority number one come October should be to terminate Callaway's contract..before we hire a new,clean,fresh GM.JMHO.

2 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

I'm not suggesting Callaway blocked any move,I'm just saying we have a possible future stud playing at a level where he no longer belongs at this point of the season.Yet..this half (full in the blank) current inner staff goes out and signs another Bautista.God as my witness,I could run this team better than the trio.Priority number one come October should be to terminate Callaway's contract..before we hire a new,clean,fresh GM.JMHO.

Sorry if I misinterpreted your post. I love when you and others talk up guys in the minors, I know you've been on Borenstein who is an unknown to me.

WRT to the trio and Callaway, at this point I'm not sure what scares me more. If the trio goes, Callaway goes too. If one or more of the trio stays I don't know what to expect. Pessimistic guy says it doesn't matter. The team is rotten from the head (Wilpons) down. I thought Sandy did well and had this team positioned for success despite the Wilpons. And then things happened.

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

Sorry if I misinterpreted your post. I love when you and others talk up guys in the minors, I know you've been on Borenstein who is an unknown to me.

WRT to the trio and Callaway, at this point I'm not sure what scares me more. If the trio goes, Callaway goes too. If one or more of the trio stays I don't know what to expect. Pessimistic guy says it doesn't matter. The team is rotten from the head (Wilpons) down. I thought Sandy did well and had this team positioned for success despite the Wilpons. And then things happened.

Well..the fan base keeps moaning about how cheap the family is...but look at the Cespedes contract,the Bruce contract and Frazier's...add in Vargas. They did spend...I can't fault them for all of the man power games we lost this year.June hit us very hard,we couldn't field a healthy offensive team,that's why I don't want to get older as a unit.Reyes,Bautista,Jackson etc are gone next year...this is,imo,the reason why we need to hop on the farm now....during these meaningless times.Did you see what Bautista did today on the called three strike ?the pitch went over the catchers head and then went back to the wall behind the plate and his rear end just stood there. Odds are 50/50 he would have got to first on that passed ball...but he didn't care. Callaway didn't say Jack Crap to him.Sorry for the vent...but this team lacks leadership and physical effort.

5 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Well..the fan base keeps moaning about how cheap the family is...but look at the Cespedes contract,the Bruce contract and Frazier's...add in Vargas. They did spend...I can't fault them for all of the man power games we lost this year.June hit us very hard,we couldn't field a healthy offensive team,that's why I don't want to get older as a unit.Reyes,Bautista,Jackson etc are gone next year...this is,imo,the reason why we need to hop on the farm now....during these meaningless times.Did you see what Bautista did today on the called three strike ?the pitch went over the catchers head and then went back to the wall behind the plate and his rear end just stood there. Odds are 50/50 he would have got to first on that passed ball...but he didn't care. Callaway didn't say Jack Crap to him.Sorry for the vent...but this team lacks leadership and physical effort.

Good stuff. Vent all you want! 

For the record, I've only recently come around to the Wilpons are cheap rally cry so I get your point about the signings. My problem is they never seem willing to bury their mistakes (bad contracts) by spending more. 

I didn't see the game today. Surprised to hear about Bautista. From what I've seen, he's played hard.

Callaway is spineless, in way over his head and maybe more to the point wholly unprepared to handle this market.

Regardless, Lets Go Mets!

• Like (+1) 1