Mets fans?

Another Fan

The latest from Sandy (it may be behind a fee wall):

https://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/sandy-alderson-mets-1.16477763

Article says he recoiled to a direct question about Moustakos. But I was OK with his answer:

“Well, it’s possible what he’ll end up doing is signing a one-year contract,” Alderson said of Moustakas. “I don’t know. "

Big thumbs down from me on this statement:

Alderson was quick to point out that the Mets have done more this winter than “probably 80 percent” of the teams,

I'm more concerned with whether we've done enough to be legit playoff contenders. I feel like we haven't. 

19 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

The latest from Sandy (it may be behind a fee wall):

https://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/sandy-alderson-mets-1.16477763

Article says he recoiled to a direct question about Moustakos. But I was OK with his answer:

“Well, it’s possible what he’ll end up doing is signing a one-year contract,” Alderson said of Moustakas. “I don’t know. "

Big thumbs down from me on this statement:

Alderson was quick to point out that the Mets have done more this winter than “probably 80 percent” of the teams,

I'm more concerned with whether we've done enough to be legit playoff contenders. I feel like we haven't. 

I agree.  I read somewhere yesterday that we're down to one left-handed reliever.

There's no way he's done making moves.

14 hours ago, Captain Murica said:

The biggest positive I take away from this is that they have finally stopped keeping the seat warm for Wright.  I don't expect him to be cut or bought out but at least they are moving on from an on-field standpoint.

I just came across this from a few weeks back and the Wilpons continue to act like small market owners. They're getting back 75% of the contract through insurance but then complain about the insurance premiums. Wasn't that a sunk cost when they took out the policy? Seems like a cost of doing business to me.

http://www.nj.com/mets/index.ssf/2018/01/mets_finally_confirm_david_wrights_contract_insura.html

"When you're talking about $20 million and we're still paying 25 percent, that's a big number... We don't look at it that way. It's in the budget that his contract is what it is and there's a new deductible period that will start, and you only get 75 percent -- it's not just 75 percent as a total -- and then there's costs against that. We had to pay for the policy, which is not cheap. "

On 2/6/2018 at 11:40 AM, SinceThe70s said:

The biggest positive I take away from this is that they have finally stopped keeping the seat warm for Wright.  I don't expect him to be cut or bought out but at least they are moving on from an on-field standpoint.

I just came across this from a few weeks back and the Wilpons continue to act like small market owners. They're getting back 75% of the contract through insurance but then complain about the insurance premiums. Wasn't that a sunk cost when they took out the policy? Seems like a cost of doing business to me.

http://www.nj.com/mets/index.ssf/2018/01/mets_finally_confirm_david_wrights_contract_insura.html

"When you're talking about $20 million and we're still paying 25 percent, that's a big number... We don't look at it that way. It's in the budget that his contract is what it is and there's a new deductible period that will start, and you only get 75 percent -- it's not just 75 percent as a total -- and then there's costs against that. We had to pay for the policy, which is not cheap. "

We have a running joke within my family and friends that it's great to root for the New York version of the Tampa Bay Rays. They're really some of the worst owners in professional sports. Thank god for James Dolan of the Knicks or they'd be the worst. That $15 million they're getting back could be used towards another SP or 2B. 

On a positive note, I came across this. It looks lime Dom is getting into shape. He ballooned up to 250lbs at 6'. This was in late December. I'm really pulling for the kid, and we all know A-gon will be on the DL sooner or later. 

• Like (+1) 1

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:19 PM, Captain Murica said:

I think he forgot Dominic Smith, who will be competing with Gonzalez to start at First.  Early reports say Smith is in excellent shape, which is a nice start.

On 25/01/2018 at 11:44 PM, KD in CA said:

I'm fine with Reyes in the reserve IF role.  He's a Met, he belongs here.

As a Jays fan, I may have been the only one who didn't hate Reyes or think he was an issue. He was cheaper then Tulo and maybe not as good, but at least he could stay on the field. Good to see him back in NY, he appeared to really be happy being there

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Bills4everNY said:

I went to Mets practice today. It was pitchers and catchers but some other players were there too. Conforto was there but wasn't hitting. I got autographed baseballs from Conforto, Cespedes, TJ Rivera, Gsellman, Robles an Anthony Swarzak.

Lets Go Mets 2018!!

Nice!  If you're local, keep the updates coming!

TJ seems like the odd man out. That bothers me.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Gugny said:

Mets signed Jason Vargas to a two-year deal today.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mets-sign-jason-vargas-to-2-year-deal/c-266572588

VERY responsible move on Alderson's part.  Vargas led the AL in wins (18) last year.

Great signing, IMO.

"Responsible move"....I like that. Can never have too much pitching depth. Maybe more so this year if Calloway has a twice through the order mentality with the starters.

• Like (+1) 1

Prior to signing Vargas, the Mets' ONLY left handed starter was Steven Matz.

I love Matz, but let's face it - he's the Sam Bradford of MLB.

I'm hoping that a new training staff will help slow (can never stop) the ridiculous amount of injuries our starting pitchers suffer every year.

Healthy, this rotation is - by leaps and bounds - the best in all of baseball.  I'd say, "in my opinion," but I consider it to be a fact.

LET'S GO METS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/17/2018 at 10:55 AM, Gugny said:

Prior to signing Vargas, the Mets' ONLY left handed starter was Steven Matz.

I love Matz, but let's face it - he's the Sam Bradford of MLB.

I'm hoping that a new training staff will help slow (can never stop) the ridiculous amount of injuries our starting pitchers suffer every year.

Healthy, this rotation is - by leaps and bounds - the best in all of baseball.  I'd say, "in my opinion," but I consider it to be a fact.

LET'S GO METS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bold statement and I hope you're right but my first thought when I read this is 11 AM is way too early for drunk sports talk.

Only kidding. But at the same time I think you might be mistaking how good they could be with how good they are.

So here's a challenge for ya. We go one division at a time. I pick a team that might have a better rotation than the Mets and you prove me wrong. Starts with the NL East and I'm going with the Nats:

Scherzer: this guy is the balls. He won the last two Cy Youngs and nobody on the Mets can match him. Scherzer > Thor

Strasburg: it's taken awhile but he is back to dominance. I'd call this a draw Strasburg == DeGrom

Gio Gonzalez: 6 years with the Nats...that surprised me. Started strong, faded, but came back strong last year. Solid, dependable, occasionally dominant #3, who is ours?

Tanner Roark: I would've dismissed this guy, but 3.41 ERA over 4.5 years and regularly throws 180 innings. Who is doing that for us?

A.J. Cole: ESPN has him as the 5th starter. I have no clue about him. I'll concede the 5 spot.

So by my count we have these potential starters:

Thor

DeGrom

Harvey

Matz

Gsellman

Lugo

Wheeler

Vargas

What's your rotation and how are they better than the Nats?

10 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Bold statement and I hope you're right but my first thought when I read this is 11 AM is way too early for drunk sports talk.

Only kidding. But at the same time I think you might be mistaking how good they could be with how good they are.

So here's a challenge for ya. We go one division at a time. I pick a team that might have a better rotation than the Mets and you prove me wrong. Starts with the NL East and I'm going with the Nats:

Scherzer: this guy is the balls. He won the last two Cy Youngs and nobody on the Mets can match him. Scherzer > Thor

Strasburg: it's taken awhile but he is back to dominance. I'd call this a draw Strasburg == DeGrom

Gio Gonzalez: 6 years with the Nats...that surprised me. Started strong, faded, but came back strong last year. Solid, dependable, occasionally dominant #3, who is ours?

Tanner Roark: I would've dismissed this guy, but 3.41 ERA over 4.5 years and regularly throws 180 innings. Who is doing that for us?

A.J. Cole: ESPN has him as the 5th starter. I have no clue about him. I'll concede the 5 spot.

So by my count we have these potential starters:

Thor

DeGrom

Harvey

Matz

Gsellman

Lugo

Wheeler

Vargas

What's your rotation and how are they better than the Nats?

Jesus Christ, you made me do some homework, but what a great challenge!!!

Thor - taking out last year, the two previous years his ERA was under 3 and he had 384 strikeouts. 

DeGrom - four year career ERA under 3.  Averages 187 IP and 232 Ks.

Harvey - Honestly, I think this dude is a headcase.  BUT he has talent.  His stats don't show it.  I'm not sold on him.  But he's young enough to turn it around.

Matz - China Doll.  Great stuff, but can't stay healthy.  He is the reason we signed Vargas.

Gsellman - I like this kid, but he might be destined for the bullpen.  He's got good stuff, but he's inconsistent.

Lugo - ERA just under 4, but he can eat some innings.  In two years he's averaged about 180.

Wheeler - The great unknown.  Mr. Potential.  He's got sick stuff.  Hopefully the new training staff can keep him off the DL.

Vargas - Won 18 games last year, leading the AL.  Before Tommy John surgery, he was a solid starter and averaged over 185 IP.

Rotation:

DeGrom

Syndergaard

Matz

Harvey

Wheeler/Vargas - I say this because one of them will be in the bullpen.  The other will be a 4-5 inning starter, being spelled by the other.

Lugo

Gsellman

Obviously, there's six/seven guys, there.  This is exactly why I think the Mets have, not only a better rotation than Washington, but the best in baseball.  Healthy, they have 3-4 aces ... I mean guys who would be the best pitcher on most teams in baseball. Nats have two.  And I'm still not sold on Strasburg.

LET'S GO METS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not sold on Strasburg either, but I have to admit he came back strong. Roark was the surprise for me. If he were a Met, you and I might have a higher opinion. 

Great takes on the Mets staff. A few minor quibbles:

I'd put Thor ahead of deGrom but that ignores last years injury. 

Only comment on Harvey is that I think he lost some of the physical ability and that compounds the head case issues. But I totally agree with you that he can turn it around and we shouldn't turn our back on him.

I think Lugo has a bigger upside than just an innings-eater. No better than a #3 though.

So what are we celebrating first: a Lombardi for the Bills or a WS for the Mets? And for context, did you get to enjoy 1986? 

14 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

I'm not sold on Strasburg either, but I have to admit he came back strong. Roark was the surprise for me. If he were a Met, you and I might have a higher opinion. 

Only comment on Harvey is that I think he lost some of the physical ability and that compounds the head case issues. But I totally agree with you that he can turn it around and we shouldn't turn our back on him.

I think Lugo has a bigger upside than just an innings-eater. No better than a #3 though.

So what are we celebrating first: a Lombardi for the Bills or a WS for the Mets? And for context, did you get to enjoy 1986? 

Oh, I think the Mets win a World Series before the Bills even come close.

I do agree that Lugo is more than just an innings eater.  He's got some good stuff.

And YES, I became a Mets fan in 1983 (Strawberry's rookie year) and was very much into them when they won in 1986!   I was 15.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/8/2018 at 9:29 AM, Gugny said:

I think he forgot Dominic Smith, who will be competing with Gonzalez to start at First.  Early reports say Smith is in excellent shape, which is a nice start.

What do you expect when the GM tells you... "You need to loose weight,or else".

21 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Do you remember Hurricane  Harvey..he pitched the first game back in Houston,.sure enough he failed horribly because to many fish wrap and paperback writers got into his skull. Bottom line..Harvey needs to lay off the booze  and distance himself from the media hounds.