Sign in to follow this  
Another Fan

Mets fans?

2 hours ago, Golden Goat said:

Wheeler looked sharp. Need to jack up his value as much as possible before the end of the month.

So you're ready to dump him? He's been pitching well and is probably at his peak value for trading at a great time to make a trade.  But, I'm more about hoarding the young arms.

Curious what folks think Wheeler could bring back in a trade. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

So you're ready to dump him? He's been pitching well and is probably at his peak value for trading at a great time to make a trade.  But, I'm more about hoarding the young arms.

Dump? No way. Here's what Callaway said today, and I think it's dead on:

“He’s a very valuable asset. If you trade him, it really has to be worth it. The adjustments he’s made, I feel like they are going to stick."

Just too many holes to fill to stay stacked in one position, in my opinion. While he's gotten a lot better, you're right -- his trade value is higher than ever. If, for example, we can get a good, young 3B prospect -- I do it. I feel we need someone out there contributing every day with as bad as our offense has been. I'm not of the "burn it down" mindset, but a shakeup here or there couldn't hurt.

I'll start thinking of some plausible names/trades.

13 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

If he can get to the trade deadline with no stinkers, I think the Mets are in a position to get a package that includes a top young prospect.  I don't think he's going to get the Mets a top current starter (pitcher or position player).  And I'm sick of them getting old asses.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

If he can get to the trade deadline with no stinkers, I think the Mets are in a position to get a package that includes a top young prospect.  I don't think he's going to get the Mets a top current starter (pitcher or position player).  And I'm sick of them getting old asses.

Vargas is owed 8 mill next year..ouch.

The explanation point to the end of the first half, Daniel Murphy gets the game winning hit today.

I imagine changes are upcoming, I mean I would imagine 

12 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

The explanation point to the end of the first half, Daniel Murphy gets the game winning hit today.

I imagine changes are upcoming, I mean I would imagine 

Mets finished the second half 7-7. Sad to say that's mildly encouraging after the 11-1 start and what happened in the interim.

Players will be moved, no doubt. Asdrubal and Jeurys feel like they are as good as gone. I'm skeptical that DeGrom and Thor will be moved, but you just never know. Wheeler feels like the wild card. I'm probably gun-shy after Justin Turner and Daniel Murphy but Wheeler and Wilmer are the most obvious candidates for the next guys we give up on before their time.

Posted (edited)

This shows the type of power the kid has. I’m excited about his future. 

Edited by Captain Murica

19 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

I just came across this article about players in the futures game and how many of them understand they may be moved in the next two weeks. Interesting perspective.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/24107719/futures-game-showcase-potential-manny-machado-trade-chips

3 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Mets finished the second half 7-7. Sad to say that's mildly encouraging after the 11-1 start and what happened in the interim.

Players will be moved, no doubt. Asdrubal and Jeurys feel like they are as good as gone. I'm skeptical that DeGrom and Thor will be moved, but you just never know. Wheeler feels like the wild card. I'm probably gun-shy after Justin Turner and Daniel Murphy but Wheeler and Wilmer are the most obvious candidates for the next guys we give up on before their time.

Wheeler, I get.  Wilmer, I hope they think long and hard.

The sooner they get rid of Familia, the better, IMO.  And I love Cabrera, but it makes good business sense to trade him.

I hope they keep Jake, Thor, Matz, Gsellman and Lugo.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Captain Murica said:

More proof why Smith is not going to be a Met much longer.

21 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

More proof why Smith is not going to be a Met much longer.

We seriously have not had a legitimate first baseman since Hernandez.

That is sad.

13 minutes ago, Gugny said:

That is sad.

Ike Davis being one of the biggest busts ...I bought into that lanky kid..hook,line and sinker.

Just now, Misterbluesky said:

Ike Davis being one of the biggest busts ...I bought into that lanky kid..hook,line and sinker.

Dude.  Me, too.  I LOVED Ike.  Man, did he go downhill fast.  I was also a believer in Dom Smith.  Shame on me.

27 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

26 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Dude.  Me, too.  I LOVED Ike.  Man, did he go downhill fast.  I was also a believer in Dom Smith.  Shame on me.

Remember Ike's head over heels catches by the dugout?

4 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Remember Ike's head over heels catches by the dugout?

Definitely.  The kid just seemed to have "it."

I think he fooled all Mets fans.

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

That is sad.

John Olerud?  Granted he really wasn’t here very long 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

Good call.  Three VERY solid seasons as a Met.

10 hours ago, Another Fan said:

This is a good call. He was very underrated as a player and one of my favorite Mets growing up. 

Also, Delgado was solid for 3 seasons with the Mets. 

27 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

This is a good call. He was very underrated as a player and one of my favorite Mets growing up. 

Delgado is another good call.

I took a look at Hernandez' stats.  He actually had 4 "solid" seasons (playing 100+ games) as a Met. 

With Olerud and Delgado each having three, I'll take back my assertion that we haven't had a legitimate 1B since Hernandez.

I would, however, like to have a guy (like Hernandez) to be our 1B for 6-7 years and get a solid 4-5 out of those.  Here's to hoping it's Alonso!

32 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

Yeah John was always memorable to me because of the helmet he wore in the field.  Plus he took the 7 train at times to the stadium 

On 7/16/2018 at 12:06 AM, Gugny said:

Wheeler, I get.  Wilmer, I hope they think long and hard.

The sooner they get rid of Familia, the better, IMO.  And I love Cabrera, but it makes good business sense to trade him.

I hope they keep Jake, Thor, Matz, Gsellman and Lugo.

Pure speculation on my part but I can easily see Cabbie going back to the Indians.

1 minute ago, Misterbluesky said:

Pure speculation on my part but I can easily see Cabbie going back to the Indians.

I would love that, both for him and for Cleveland.

6 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Yeah John was always memorable to me because of the helmet he wore in the field.  Plus he took the 7 train at times to the stadium 

I love to hear stories like this. I remember when players were approachable when we played ST at Al Lang Stadium...the players and even guys like Rube Walker would chat with fans out in the hot,not so private,parking lot after games.Thanks to my pop and our family trips down to ST.Pete nearly every spring,i have myself one hell of a autograph book.Our son is coming up for a visit in September...I plan on gifting him the book since he's the collector type. 

43 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

I love to hear stories like this. I remember when players were approachable when we played ST at Al Lang Stadium...the players and even guys like Rube Walker would chat with fans out in the hot,not so private,parking lot after games.Thanks to my pop and our family trips down to ST.Pete nearly every spring,i have myself one hell of a autograph book.Our son is coming up for a visit in September...I plan on gifting him the book since he's the collector type. 

Rube Walker? I haven't heard that name in ages. Just looked it up and he was the Mets pitching coach for 14 seasons ('68 through '81).

Very cool about the autograph book and your son. You must have some great ones in there. 

5 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Rube Walker? I haven't heard that name in ages. Just looked it up and he was the Mets pitching coach for 14 seasons ('68 through '81).

Very cool about the autograph book and your son. You must have some great ones in there. 

I have a nearly full book,thanks to my grandparents,who retired there. My pop also got some nice perks from work,which included a free rental at a condo in the bay area. The only ****ty part of those trips was the fact that my father was too cheap to fly us down to Florida.Being with Dad,Mom ,two younger sisters and a young brother in a station wagon for two days was taxing...just one stop in North Carolina. Four dang days out of the two week spring recess break was spent in a car...and I don't recall having air conditioning in that so called luxury set of wheels.I shouldn't complain..those were some sweet times.p.s- We shared the stadium with the Cardinals then,with our limited time we had down there,we had to see them "down the road". Pirates in Bradenton..Red Sox in Lakeland,Detroit in a place called Joker Stadium .So many teams were centered around that Tampa-St.Pete area at that time..as a kid,it was autograph and photo heaven.I've never been to the Port St.Lucie facility,I wonder how family/fan friendly it is.

• Like 3