Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Another Fan

Mets fans?

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Golden Goat said:

 

Wheeler looked sharp. Need to jack up his value as much as possible before the end of the month.

 

So you're ready to dump him? He's been pitching well and is probably at his peak value for trading at a great time to make a trade.  But, I'm more about hoarding the young arms.

 

Curious what folks think Wheeler could bring back in a trade. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

 

So you're ready to dump him? He's been pitching well and is probably at his peak value for trading at a great time to make a trade.  But, I'm more about hoarding the young arms.

 

Curious what folks think Wheeler could bring back in a trade. 

 

Dump? No way. Here's what Callaway said today, and I think it's dead on:

“He’s a very valuable asset. If you trade him, it really has to be worth it. The adjustments he’s made, I feel like they are going to stick."

Just too many holes to fill to stay stacked in one position, in my opinion. While he's gotten a lot better, you're right -- his trade value is higher than ever. If, for example, we can get a good, young 3B prospect -- I do it. I feel we need someone out there contributing every day with as bad as our offense has been. I'm not of the "burn it down" mindset, but a shakeup here or there couldn't hurt.

I'll start thinking of some plausible names/trades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

 

So you're ready to dump him? He's been pitching well and is probably at his peak value for trading at a great time to make a trade.  But, I'm more about hoarding the young arms.

 

Curious what folks think Wheeler could bring back in a trade. 

 

 

 

If he can get to the trade deadline with no stinkers, I think the Mets are in a position to get a package that includes a top young prospect.  I don't think he's going to get the Mets a top current starter (pitcher or position player).  And I'm sick of them getting old asses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gugny said:

 

If he can get to the trade deadline with no stinkers, I think the Mets are in a position to get a package that includes a top young prospect.  I don't think he's going to get the Mets a top current starter (pitcher or position player).  And I'm sick of them getting old asses.

Vargas is owed 8 mill next year..ouch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The explanation point to the end of the first half, Daniel Murphy gets the game winning hit today.

 

I imagine changes are upcoming, I mean I would imagine 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

The explanation point to the end of the first half, Daniel Murphy gets the game winning hit today.

 

I imagine changes are upcoming, I mean I would imagine 

 

Mets finished the second half 7-7. Sad to say that's mildly encouraging after the 11-1 start and what happened in the interim.

 

Players will be moved, no doubt. Asdrubal and Jeurys feel like they are as good as gone. I'm skeptical that DeGrom and Thor will be moved, but you just never know. Wheeler feels like the wild card. I'm probably gun-shy after Justin Turner and Daniel Murphy but Wheeler and Wilmer are the most obvious candidates for the next guys we give up on before their time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

This shows the type of power the kid has. I’m excited about his future. 

Edited by Captain Murica

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

 

This shows the type of power the kid has. I’m excited about his future. 

 

I just came across this article about players in the futures game and how many of them understand they may be moved in the next two weeks. Interesting perspective.

 

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/24107719/futures-game-showcase-potential-manny-machado-trade-chips

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

 

Mets finished the second half 7-7. Sad to say that's mildly encouraging after the 11-1 start and what happened in the interim.

 

Players will be moved, no doubt. Asdrubal and Jeurys feel like they are as good as gone. I'm skeptical that DeGrom and Thor will be moved, but you just never know. Wheeler feels like the wild card. I'm probably gun-shy after Justin Turner and Daniel Murphy but Wheeler and Wilmer are the most obvious candidates for the next guys we give up on before their time.

 

Wheeler, I get.  Wilmer, I hope they think long and hard.

 

The sooner they get rid of Familia, the better, IMO.  And I love Cabrera, but it makes good business sense to trade him.

 

I hope they keep Jake, Thor, Matz, Gsellman and Lugo.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Captain Murica said:

 

This shows the type of power the kid has. I’m excited about his future. 

More proof why Smith is not going to be a Met much longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

More proof why Smith is not going to be a Met much longer.

 

We seriously have not had a legitimate first baseman since Hernandez.

 

That is sad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Gugny said:

 

We seriously have not had a legitimate first baseman since Hernandez.

 

That is sad.

Ike Davis being one of the biggest busts ...I bought into that lanky kid..hook,line and sinker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Misterbluesky said:

Ike Davis being one of the biggest busts ...I bought into that lanky kid..hook,line and sinker.

 

Dude.  Me, too.  I LOVED Ike.  Man, did he go downhill fast.  I was also a believer in Dom Smith.  Shame on me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Ike Davis being one of the biggest busts ...I bought into that lanky kid..hook,line and sinker.

 

26 minutes ago, Gugny said:

 

Dude.  Me, too.  I LOVED Ike.  Man, did he go downhill fast.  I was also a believer in Dom Smith.  Shame on me.

 

Remember Ike's head over heels catches by the dugout?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

 

 

Remember Ike's head over heels catches by the dugout?

 

Definitely.  The kid just seemed to have "it."

 

I think he fooled all Mets fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Gugny said:

 

We seriously have not had a legitimate first baseman since Hernandez.

 

That is sad.

John Olerud?  Granted he really wasn’t here very long 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

John Olerud?  Granted he really wasn’t here very long 

 

Good call.  Three VERY solid seasons as a Met.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Another Fan said:

John Olerud?  Granted he really wasn’t here very long 

This is a good call. He was very underrated as a player and one of my favorite Mets growing up. 

 

Also, Delgado was solid for 3 seasons with the Mets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

This is a good call. He was very underrated as a player and one of my favorite Mets growing up. 

 

Also, Delgado was solid for 3 seasons with the Mets. 

 

Delgado is another good call.

 

I took a look at Hernandez' stats.  He actually had 4 "solid" seasons (playing 100+ games) as a Met. 

 

With Olerud and Delgado each having three, I'll take back my assertion that we haven't had a legitimate 1B since Hernandez.

 

I would, however, like to have a guy (like Hernandez) to be our 1B for 6-7 years and get a solid 4-5 out of those.  Here's to hoping it's Alonso!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

This is a good call. He was very underrated as a player and one of my favorite Mets growing up. 

 

Also, Delgado was solid for 3 seasons with the Mets. 

Yeah John was always memorable to me because of the helmet he wore in the field.  Plus he took the 7 train at times to the stadium 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2018 at 12:06 AM, Gugny said:

 

Wheeler, I get.  Wilmer, I hope they think long and hard.

 

The sooner they get rid of Familia, the better, IMO.  And I love Cabrera, but it makes good business sense to trade him.

 

I hope they keep Jake, Thor, Matz, Gsellman and Lugo.

Pure speculation on my part but I can easily see Cabbie going back to the Indians.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Misterbluesky said:

Pure speculation on my part but I can easily see Cabbie going back to the Indians.

 

I would love that, both for him and for Cleveland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Yeah John was always memorable to me because of the helmet he wore in the field.  Plus he took the 7 train at times to the stadium 

I love to hear stories like this. I remember when players were approachable when we played ST at Al Lang Stadium...the players and even guys like Rube Walker would chat with fans out in the hot,not so private,parking lot after games.Thanks to my pop and our family trips down to ST.Pete nearly every spring,i have myself one hell of a autograph book.Our son is coming up for a visit in September...I plan on gifting him the book since he's the collector type. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

I love to hear stories like this. I remember when players were approachable when we played ST at Al Lang Stadium...the players and even guys like Rube Walker would chat with fans out in the hot,not so private,parking lot after games.Thanks to my pop and our family trips down to ST.Pete nearly every spring,i have myself one hell of a autograph book.Our son is coming up for a visit in September...I plan on gifting him the book since he's the collector type. 

 

Rube Walker? I haven't heard that name in ages. Just looked it up and he was the Mets pitching coach for 14 seasons ('68 through '81).

 

Very cool about the autograph book and your son. You must have some great ones in there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

 

Rube Walker? I haven't heard that name in ages. Just looked it up and he was the Mets pitching coach for 14 seasons ('68 through '81).

 

Very cool about the autograph book and your son. You must have some great ones in there. 

I have a nearly full book,thanks to my grandparents,who retired there. My pop also got some nice perks from work,which included a free rental at a condo in the bay area. The only ****ty part of those trips was the fact that my father was too cheap to fly us down to Florida.Being with Dad,Mom ,two younger sisters and a young brother in a station wagon for two days was taxing...just one stop in North Carolina. Four dang days out of the two week spring recess break was spent in a car...and I don't recall having air conditioning in that so called luxury set of wheels.I shouldn't complain..those were some sweet times.p.s- We shared the stadium with the Cardinals then,with our limited time we had down there,we had to see them "down the road". Pirates in Bradenton..Red Sox in Lakeland,Detroit in a place called Joker Stadium .So many teams were centered around that Tampa-St.Pete area at that time..as a kid,it was autograph and photo heaven.I've never been to the Port St.Lucie facility,I wonder how family/fan friendly it is.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×