Mets fans?

Another Fan

Sorry to take this off topic but did anyone read the stories of the plane ride after they beat the Astros in Game 6 back in 86?  Davey got the bill for the damage and ripped it up in front of the team lol.

Couldn't help but think of all the Bills fans waiting for the team coming back from Miami to greet them.  When the Mets got back to the airport all the fans saw them looking like a mess back then.

Just different times

On 1/13/2018 at 9:15 PM, Another Fan said:

Yeah David's contract is one of the worst I can think of.  He's always been a loyal and classy guy but enough's enough. 

Wrights contract is not his fault and anyone who takes it against him is, um,...choose your adjective...arrogant, dim-witted, ignorant, non-salaried,...

Totally agree that he has been loyal and classy.

I am an unabashed champion of Sandy Anderson, but this was his signing so blame him. Particularly if you had a crystal ball and knew that DW would have a debilitating back injury. 

And the next time you B word and moan that Sandy doesn't pull the trigger on a long term contract for anyone, check your comments at the door.

Back to DW, his contract is guaranteed, right? But unless I'm mistaken, insurance is paying the majority every year so the hit for the Mets is any impact on the luxury tax. Not sure that's an issue. 

IMO, the bigger impact on the Mets is the perception/fact that they are keeping third base warm for him. This aggravates me to no end. I'm sick and tired of stop-gap solutions (Reyes, Carbrera, Wilmer, ...) and want the Mets to treat 3B like Wright will never be back...which is what I fully expect.

23 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Wrights contract is not his fault and anyone who takes it against him is, um,...choose your adjective...arrogant, dim-witted, ignorant, non-salaried,...

I am an unabashed champion of Sandy Anderson, but this was his signing so blame him. Particularly if you had a crystal ball and knew that DW would have a debilitating back injury. 

And the next time you B word and moan that Sandy doesn't pull the trigger on a long term contract for anyone, check your comments at the door.

Back to DW, his contract is guaranteed, right? But unless I'm mistaken, insurance is paying the majority every year so the hit for the Mets is any impact on the luxury tax. Not sure that's an issue. 

IMO, the bigger impact on the Mets is the perception/fact that they are keeping third base warm for him. This aggravates me to no end. I'm sick and tired of stop-gap solutions (Reyes, Carbrera, Wilmer, ...) and want the Mets to treat 3B like Wright will never be back...which is what I fully expect.

This is where my frustration with Wright lies.  Every year (including just a couple months ago), he gets in front of a mic and says how he feels great and he's gonna be ready to go.  That makes it damn near impossible for Alderson to replace him with a real 3B without pissing off a lot of the fan base.  He keeps stringing the fans and team along with this bull **** when he knows he hasn't done anything good for the team in the past 6-7 years.  He's a waste of a roster spot and I think he's selfish for clogging the system.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

This is where my frustration with Wright lies.  Every year (including just a couple months ago), he gets in front of a mic and says how he feels great and he's gonna be ready to go.  That makes it damn near impossible for Alderson to replace him with a real 3B without pissing off a lot of the fan base.  He keeps stringing the fans and team along with this bull **** when he knows he hasn't done anything good for the team in the past 6-7 years.  He's a waste of a roster spot and I think he's selfish for clogging the system.

Where we disagree is that I think it's Alderson's job to temper expectations and more to the point prepare for the season as if DW will never play another game at 3B...or anywhere else for that matter.

DW has a contract that will pay him more money than I could ever dream of making. Asking him to walk away from that money is foolish. This is speculation, but I think that every attempt he makes at rehab and every public statement he makes about coming back is all about maintaining the insurance payouts on his contract.

On the flip side (and I'm not convinced this applies to DW), I ALWAYS admire the superstar athlete that hangs on as long as he can, even when the public thinks he should retire. To me it's a sign of their competitiveness that helped them achieve their greatness.

10 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Well how much of these long term contracts Sandy really gets to decide?  I tend to think there's a lot of pass the buck down to him within the organization 

6 hours ago, snafu said:

I heard yesterday on the radio that the Mets were signing Adrian Gonzalez, and my first reaction was to shout "NOOOOOOOOOOOO, STUPID, STUPID METS!"  https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2018/01/13/mets-agree-sign-veteran-adrian-gonzalez/1032211001/

I guess they're not going to force Jay Bruce to play first base.

Yes, that's the good news (Bruce).  But the bad news is that it looks like they don't have a lot of faith in Dom Smith.  I like the kid.  I hope he proves them wrong.

7 hours ago, snafu said:

I heard yesterday on the radio that the Mets were signing Adrian Gonzalez, and my first reaction was to shout "NOOOOOOOOOOOO, STUPID, STUPID METS!"  https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2018/01/13/mets-agree-sign-veteran-adrian-gonzalez/1032211001/

I guess they're not going to force Jay Bruce to play first base.

51 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Yes, that's the good news (Bruce).  But the bad news is that it looks like they don't have a lot of faith in Dom Smith.  I like the kid.  I hope he proves them wrong.

I like this signing. Low cost, low risk. A one year insurance policy at first base. Much better than the thought of Bruce playing there.

But I'm not convinced they've given up on Smith yet. I don't see how any top prospect gets judged solely on their first 50 games. Signing Gonzalez provides insurance and maybe some extra motivation for Smith. Back in November Alderson had some pointed comments about Smith:

http://www.nj.com/mets/index.ssf/2017/11/could_the_mets_shelve_dominic_smith_and_replace_hi.html

At the general manager meetings in Orlando this week, when asked if Smith was guaranteed the job of starting first baseman, Alderson told reporters, "He didn't win it in September, let's put it that way."

And it looks like the message was delivered:

https://nypost.com/2017/11/29/slimmed-down-dominic-smith-isnt-ceding-mets-first-base-job/

The Mets first baseman, whose conditioning came into question this past season during a rough six-week stretch to begin his major league career, said he’s lost 11-12 pounds this offseason as he makes better food choices and works out daily in Los Angeles.

“This is something I want to get under control and never make an issue again,” Smith said

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

The Mets first baseman, whose conditioning came into question this past season during a rough six-week stretch to begin his major league career, said he’s lost 11-12 pounds this offseason as he makes better food choices and works out daily in Los Angeles.

“This is something I want to get under control and never make an issue again,” Smith said

Of course...the Mets 1B of the future turns out to be Karlos Williams.   It never ends.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Reyes is back.  That's good news, IMO.

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 7:02 PM, Captain Murica said:

According to Ken Rosenthal the Mets balked at trading Brandon Nimmo for Andrew McCutchen, Smh.

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:25 PM, Captain Murica said:
Jacob Resnick @Jacob_Resnick
FollowFollow @Jacob_Resnick
More

The #Mets turned down an Andrew McCutchen for Brandon Nimmo offer from the Pirates, per @Ken_Rosenthal. The Mets also believe they can use Nimmo as a centerpiece in a deal for Josh Harrison.

1:12 PM - 16 Jan 2018

This doesn't break my heart.  We don't need Cutch.  We do need infield help.  Good arguments on keeping Nimmo vs. trading Nimmo.  (nothing on Saving Nimmo) - http://metsmerizedonline.com/2018/01/mmo-roundtable-what-should-the-mets-do-with-brandon-nimmo.html/

Man, even though I didn't go out of my way to get Mets news when I lived in CT, I realize how much I picked up via a few minutes of the FAN in the car or reading the Post a couple times a week, etc.   I don't know anything anymore.   :(

Is there a Two Mets Drive?

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Saving Nimmo...wish I said that.

Why do you think Reyes is back?  One thing I've heard (and if true Reyes would play into it) is why are the Mets trying to re-create their 2017 team?

Sign Moustakos on a late team friendly deal and  I will be happier.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/25/mets-bringing-back-jose-reyes-with-one-catch/