Mets fans?

Another Fan

Callaway is having a very rough rookie season.

So tough, that I think he'll never be a good manager.  He has been !@#$ing horrible in EVERY SINGLE !@#$ING FACET OF THE GAME.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Gugny said:

So tough, that I think he'll never be a good manager.  He has been !@#$ing horrible in EVERY SINGLE !@#$ING FACET OF THE GAME.

Do you remember what 70's said? When he went to a game last week...mic k was tied at the hip with Disarcinia....their both to blame imho.

In addition...Rosie did a cross step on a possible dp...he was cornered in the dugout.The staff didn't pull rank not once when Bruce was in spaceland.These seasoned vets have zero respect for Callaway and it shows...he needs to put the big boy slacks on and take control...alone.

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

I agree with statement 1. I think it's worse due to the strong start...remember when we were talking about .500 the rest of the way gets us near 90 wins?

2 remains to be seen, but if he flames out here he may not get a second chance (see: Willie Randolph).  On the other hand, in a different era, Joe Torre was widely considered a bust after being a player/manager for the Mets (and almost traded for Guidry) and ineffective manager for the Braves and Cardinals before he went to the Yankees and perceptions changed.

I'm not buying into 3. There's plenty not to like, but every single facet is an over statement IMO. The starting pitching has been outstanding lately despite losing Syndegaard for a week plus. Tell me you saw that coming. And that includes contributions from Matz, Wheeler and....wait for it....Vargas! 

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

I agree with statement 1. I think it's worse due to the strong start...remember when we were talking about .500 the rest of the way gets us near 90 wins?

2 remains to be seen, but if he flames out here he may not get a second chance (see: Willie Randolph).  On the other hand, in a different era, Joe Torre was widely considered a bust after being a player/manager for the Mets (and almost traded for Guidry) and ineffective manager for the Braves and Cardinals before he went to the Yankees and perceptions changed.

I'm not buying into 3. There's plenty not to like, but every single facet is an over statement IMO. The starting pitching has been outstanding lately despite losing Syndegaard for a week plus. Tell me you saw that coming. And that includes contributions from Matz, Wheeler and....wait for it....Vargas! 

But the performance of the players (especially the starters) has nothing to do with his management of the games.  Hell, we've lost games because he decided to pull pitchers who were dominating.  Have the Mets played back to back games with the same lineup once this season?  He's overmanaging and it's costing us a lot of games.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Gugny said:

But the performance of the players (especially the starters) has nothing to do with his management of the games.  Hell, we've lost games because he decided to pull pitchers who were dominating.  Have the Mets played back to back games with the same lineup once this season?  He's overmanaging and it's costing us a lot of games.

Yup, these points are ones I continue to discuss with other Mets fans as well. I hold Sandy/Wilpons accountable for the players on the roster as there were better options IE. we sign JD Martinez & Arrieta over Bruce and Vargas this team is not in the position they currently in. But I also hold Mickey accountable when it comes to the on-field decision making. He has taken out pitchers that were cruising & continues to change the line-up with some odd placement of players in spots they shouldn’t be in. For crying out loud plawecki batted clean-up yesterday. The guy isn’t small by any means but his swing and the way the ball comes off the bat you’d think he weighed 140 lbs. 

Edited by Captain Murica

6 hours ago, Captain Murica said:

Yup, these points are ones I continue to discuss with other Mets fans as well. I hold Sandy/Wilpons accountable for the players on the roster as there were better options IE. we sign JD Martinez & Arrieta over Bruce and Vargas this team is not in the position they currently in. But I also hold Mickey accountable when it comes to the on-field decision making. He has taken out pitchers that were cruising & continues to change the line-up with some odd placement of players in spots they shouldn’t be in. For crying out loud plawecki batted clean-up yesterday. The guy isn’t small by any means but his swing and the way the ball comes off the bat you’d think he weighed 140 lbs. 

I am normally on the overly-optimistic side as a Mets fan.  I've never seen a Mets manager this many bad calls/mistakes in an entire season, let alone the first 1/3 of a season.  It concerns me.  I also cannot remember a time when so many players looked so down and dejected.

If you have Todd Frazier and he looks unhappy, there is something very wrong with the culture/atmosphere.

I did not "call for Terry's head," until his last season.  And even that was more of an, "it's just time to move on," feeling.

I'm not calling for Callaway to be canned.  But it wouldn't shock me or upset me if it was to happen.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

Fair enough. Hard to draw the line between poor/good play and poor/good management. But when Matz/Wheeler/Vargas are pitching very well after being suspect and you diminish the quick hooks they got on their way to pitching well you're ignoring the management aspect.....and no, I did not like the quick hooks.

We disagree on playing the same lineup day in day out. You've made that point a few times (not just back to back days), but to me that would be a lack of management. I'll go one step further and say that Bruce has played way too much for my taste.

Regardless, I'm not sticking up for Calloway. I think he's skating on thin ice. His comments about playing in NY over the weekend were some combination of dumb, naive and ill-advised.

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

Fair enough. Hard to draw the line between poor/good play and poor/good management. But when Matz/Wheeler/Vargas are pitching very well after being suspect and you diminish the quick hooks they got on their way to pitching well you're ignoring the management aspect.....and no, I did not like the quick hooks.

We disagree on playing the same lineup day in day out. You've made that point a few times (not just back to back days), but to me that would be a lack of management. I'll go one step further and say that Bruce has played way too much for my taste.

Regardless, I'm not sticking up for Calloway. I think he's skating on thin ice. His comments about playing in NY over the weekend were some combination of dumb, naive and ill-advised.

I think we're very close to being on the same page.

Bruce is a tough call.  He could break out and go on a tear, but I do agree that we've been waiting long enough for that to happen.

I get matchups and resting guys, etc.  But I think he makes too many changes and it's difficult for players to get into a groove if they don't get the chance to.  I think he has given the wrong players (Reyes, Bruce, Conforto) that chance.  Especially Reyes.  He shouldn't even be in baseball anymore.

• Like (+1) 1

Sort of off topic but the Subway Series is coming up.  I remember in the late 90's how intense the games were.  Though it got the point where even sweeping the Yankees bank in 2013 was nice but the rest of that year poor performance sort of took away from it. 

I mean maybe they could do some good things here the next few days but I'm not hopeful.  The win-win look at this:

We win the series- it's always nice

We get our as*es kicked- Well hopefully that will convince someone somewhere you can't keep going on like this. I reiterate the hopefully there

• Like (+1) 1

They lose their best player and do this. They currently hold the longest playoff drought in American professional sports. As a kid I was a huge Griffey Jr and Jay Buhner fan so I’m pulling for them. 

Edited by Captain Murica

1 hour ago, Captain Murica said:

They lose their best player and do this. They currently hold the longest playoff drought in American professional sports. As a kid I was a huge Griffey Jr and Jay Buhner fan so I’m pulling for them. 

A great Seinfeld moment was Frank Costanza berating Steinbrenner for trading Buhner for Ken Phelps.

• Like (+1) 3

Much in the same way a sacrifice fly doesn't affect your bating average the same should be tonight for DeGrom's win loss record.

I mean seriously a loss!  It just seems wrong on so many levels.  And the sad reality is once the Yanks tied it I knew we had no shot to win because that would actually force us to get another run across the plate . 

6 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Much in the same way a sacrifice fly doesn't affect your bating average the same should be tonight for DeGrom's win loss record.

I mean seriously a loss!  It just seems wrong on so many levels.  And the sad reality is once the Yanks tied it I knew we had no shot to win because that would actually force us to get another run across the plate . 

Yup, once Bruce failed to throw out Tanaka at home plate I knew it was over. I knew deep down the highschool line-up wouldn’t be able to plate another run. 

This is insane how bad our offense is and how good our pitching is in the last 20 games. It’s interesting how no one has been thrown out or threw bats, coolers, or thrown at a batter during this funk. 

Edited by Captain Murica

3 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

It’s interesting how no one has been thrown out or threw bats, coolers, or thrown at a batter during this funk. 

Correct if I'm wrong but is seems like Bobby V was the last manager with that sort of passion and Turk Wendell & Dennis Cook were the last pitchers with that sort of attitude.

Harvey brought energy and passion as well but it was more about him then the team

34 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

Yup, once Bruce failed to throw out Tanaka at home plate I knew it was over. I knew deep down the highschool line-up wouldn’t be able to plate another run. 

This is insane how bad our offense is and how good our pitching is in the last 20 games. It’s interesting how no one has been thrown out or threw bats, coolers, or thrown at a batter during this funk. 

Strong call. Calloway needs to get himself tossed just for the sake of getting tossed. Not sure he has it in him. 

26 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Correct if I'm wrong but is seems like Bobby V was the last manager with that sort of passion and Turk Wendell & Dennis Cook were the last pitchers with that sort of attitude.

Harvey brought energy and passion as well but it was more about him then the team

Loved those two. 

• Like (+1) 1