Mets fans?

Another Fan

10 hours ago, Gugny said:

Well, since the Wilpons are still at the helm, my guess is that this will work out in a way that has the Mets paying Wright for the next 25-30 years.

My son and I are going to Thor Bobblehead night in August.

A couple years ago, we went to Syndergaarden Gnome day.  First 15,000 fans.  We were, it seemed, fans 15003 and 15004.  That sucked.

For a 7:10pm game, what time do you think we should get in line to get in?  The first 25,000 fans get the bobblehead and I don't want to miss out again.

I went to the Thor Bobblehead(First 15,000) game last year against the A's, we got there 3 hours before game time and got it with ease. But waiting in line for the gates to open is an absolute **** show. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2018/06/05/mets-trades-degrom-syndergaard-sandy-alderson/673229002/

The New York Mets stink right now.

They know it. All of New York knows it. And so does the architect who built the team.

Mets GM Sandy Alderson is the one who constructed this reeling mess, and despite the faulty wiring and building code violations, he isn’t ready to tear down his creation.

Not now.

Perhaps not ever.

At least not on his watch.

“Can circumstances change that, yes,’’ Alderson tells USA TODAY Sports, “but I think that would be very, very remote. It’s not something we’re even considering or talking about.’’

The Mets, who opened the season winning 11 of their first 12 games, have since gone 16-29, and are sitting in fourth place (27-30), seven games behind the surprising Atlanta Braves in the NL East. They have lost nine of their last 11 games, and after a two-game series beginning Tuesday night against the Baltimore Orioles at Citi Field, won’t play another sub-.500 team until the Marlins on June 29 - one month before the July 31 trade deadline.

There’s already speculation that if the Mets’ struggles continue, they may have to consider the possibility of gutting the team and starting over, which means shopping former All-Star pitchers Jacob DeGrom and Noah Syndergaard for a haul of prospects.

Sorry, but it’s not an option Alderson ever wants to consider - not as long as he’s running the show.

“Just because you tear it down,’’ Alderson said, “doesn’t mean you’re going to have a great rebuild. It doesn’t work that way. It just doesn’t.’’

Not everyone is going to strip down the franchise and automatically become the Houston Astros or Chicago Cubs. Or even the Atlanta Braves. It’s not that simple. Besides, there’s a whole lot of pain involved in any rebuild; the Astros lost 324 games over a three-year span, finishing a combined 127 games out of first place.

“I don’t know why it’s become so popular,’’ Alderson says, “maybe it’s the product of the extremist. In our culture, you’re either really good or you stink. There’s no reason to be caught in the middle. There’s virtue at the extreme.

“I just don’t see it that way.’’

In Alderson’s world, he sees a team that’s still hovering around .500 despite a bevy of injuries, a division that’s vulnerable, and even a league in which no one appears capable of running away and hiding.

“I think there can be a temporary loss of perspective because of where we are,’’ Alderson says. “Look at the possibilities when we get players back from injuries. Considering everything we’ve gone through, and all of the injuries, I think we’re fortunate.

“I’m as optimistic at this point of the season as I’ve been the last couple of years. We had challenges in 2016 and ended up in the playoffs. We had challenges last year, and didn’t overcome them. I think this year we’ll overcome them.’’

The Mets are expected to have Syndergaard back in the rotation Sunday against the Yankees. Third baseman Todd Frazier, who has been out since May 8, is scheduled to return Tuesday along with reliever Anthony Swarzak. And, the most important cog to their offense, Yoenis Cespedes, who has missed the last 20 games with a strained hip flexor, is expected to start taking batting practice this week.

The Mets know that a simple return to health isn’t an elixir. The Washington Nationals have had more injuries than anyone in the league, and they’re 33-25, just one game behind the Braves.

The Mets’ offense is a mess. They’ve scored just one run in the last 24 innings. They are hitting a major-league worst .203 with a .578 OPS against lefties. They have a .350 slugging percentage, second-worst in baseball. The Mets’ cleanup hitters have combined for two home runs all season. Right fielder Jay Bruce is hitting .222 with just three homers and 15 RBI. The bullpen is 1-7 and yielding a 7.94 ERA over the last 11 games. And they’ve been sloppy, prompting rookie manager Mickey Callaway to call a team meeting last weekend, saying, “We’re not playing the game the right way.”

They’re putting out fires these days literally and figuratively, with flames erupting last week in the rotunda near the stadium’s main entrance, the marketing department calling off the Frazier replica batting practice pullover giveaway because of a malfunction, and Callaway’s lineup card snafu last month that helped cost them a game against the Cincinnati Reds.

The Mets have six weeks to start playing better baseball, reinforcing Alderson’s optimism, and dispel any notion that trading deGrom and Syndergaard is the best path forward.

“I really believe we’ll start playing better,’’ Alderson said. “Our starting pitching has to get into a routine and lengthen out so we don’t have to endure a three or four-inning start on a fairly regular basis. That will allow us to your pen the way we like.

“If that happens, I think you’ll see improvement.’’

And, if not?

“We’ll make an evaluation then,’’ Alderson says. “Who knows what the future will bring? But I’m not thinking that way. I really believe we can turn this around.’’

Let the others have their tear-downs and rebuilds. Alderson, 70, doesn’t have the time or patience.

Now, it’s up to Mets to start winning to assure that the rest of the organization views it the same way.

Edited by Captain Murica

4 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

At this point the games are almost laughable.  It's insanity if there's not some kind of shake up on the horizon 

It hasn't been this bad since like 2003-04. I'm really hoping the hitting coach or someone is fired. This cannot continue without any accountability. This was being preached all off season and yet they still continue to do the same thing over and over. I work in the mental health field and can clearly state someone is not taking their medications. 

We just lost to a team 24 games under .500 

6 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

They should unload him.  He was a great pickup back in 15' and helped with the pennant run.  But as soon as things go south he seems to as well.  Can still I imagine get some prospects for him 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

They should unload him.  He was a great pickup back in 15' and helped with the pennant run.  But as soon as things go south he seems to as well.  Can still I imagine get some prospects for him 

I agree, the highest paid player is usually the one everyone looks up to when it comes to baseball and the clubhouse. But this guy is no leader in the clubhouse or on the field. I'm over him. I wasn't 100% on re-signing him either. I understand why it was done as anyone can see how pathetic this team is without him, but that being said, they needed to sign better compliments for him. All they did was re-sign Bruce (yuck), 36 year old Agon, and used the option for Asdrubal. 

All the while Hosmer, Moustakas, and Cain were all out there. They could literally have Hosmer and Moustakas for the same amount of money Cespedes is making. I haven't been this low in a long time as a Mets fan, but its getting to the point I might just stop watching for a bit.

Edited by Captain Murica
  • Like (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

Reminds me of when Syndergaard refused to get an MRI.  The tail continues to wag the dog.  We have a weak GM and a weaker manager.  If we had good owners, they'd get rid of both their asses and scorch the !@#$ing earth, which is what's been necessary for the last three years.  Tear this **** show down.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2018/06/05/mets-trades-degrom-syndergaard-sandy-alderson/673229002/

Its the article Murcia attached above. See I as a fan are willing to go through a few years of rebuilding if a vision for the future is articulated.  At any rate sure as hell beats what's going on now

18 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

The boo birds are out. Cab leads off with a double and the "muscle" of the lineup couldn't move him.

Yeah, currently have the game streaming on my phone at my desk. None of them look comfortable at the plate. I remember Conforto had his best success at the lead off spot last year before his injury. I would like to see him and Nimmo 1 & 2 in the order. 

The only positive I can take from the Mets right now is that their starting pitching is more than solid from 1-4 excluding Vargas. 

11 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

Yeah, currently have the game streaming on my phone at my desk. None of them look comfortable at the plate. I remember Conforto had his best success at the lead off spot last year before his injury. I would like to see him and Nimmo 1 & 2 in the order. 

The only positive I can take from the Mets right now is that their starting pitching is more than solid from 1-4 excluding Vargas. 

On a positive note...wheeler is pitching without effort...it's a outing of pure beauty!

Just now, Misterbluesky said:

I thought the same thing,another mistake by Callaway. I guess he's sticking to what he said after last night's game.

I get it, but don’t at the same time. He just doubled off the wall earlier this game. Give him a chance to drive one. 

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

7 runs in 6 games. At home. And if I got this right, 1 run in 35 innings.

This is bordering on when we had John Mayberry Jr. and his sub .200 batting average in the cleanup spot against Kershaw in 2015.

Yup, they're is no end in sight for this team. I'm out for blood as a mets fan. Someone needs to be held accountable. 

IMG-0575.jpg