Mets fans?

Another Fan

Vargas gets pulled after 5 innings, 65 pitches, 0 runs. He has a look of disbelief in the dugout. Keith and Gary speculate it's because it's 3rd time through the lineup.

They brought in a guy making his major league debut.

I hope it works, but this may be a case of using analytics instead of common sense. The events of this week and state of the bullpen should be considered, not just the numbers.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Vargas gets pulled after 5 innings, 65 pitches, 0 runs. He has a look of disbelief in the dugout. Keith and Gary speculate it's because it's 3rd time through the lineup.

They brought in a guy making his major league debut.

I hope it works, but this may be a case of using analytics instead of common sense. The events of this week and state of the bullpen should be considered, not just the numbers.

Edited by Captain Murica

15 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Rosie ..my goodness! That's on SportsCenter tonight!

Simply amazing play. This club needed that. He is showing why he was the number 1 overall prospect in MLB with his bat, speed, and glove. I knew their was a reason I got his jersey last season when he was called up besides the fact Fanatics.com screwed up and put up his jersey for $28.80 instead of $288.00 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Taking Vargas out after 2 hits and 65 pitches was not a smart move, in my opinion. But it worked out.  Silver linings - we got the win and Peterson got his cup of coffee.  But Vargas was pitching very efficiently and effectively.  Yes ... he'd have been going through his third time through the order; but give the guy a hit or a walk before pulling him.  That was a head-scratcher.

I'm 47 and have been avidly watching baseball for well over 30 years.  That double play was one of the best I've ever seen.  Rosario and Cabrera deserve equal props.  That barehanded exchange and perfect throw were insane.

Now the interesting part ... Familia comes in, in the 8th.  Faces their toughest batters and (miraculously) gets through it.  

Why not leave him in for a 6-out save?  Their best batters are behind him?

Add this to the fact that Gsellman was ready for the close last night ... I'm wondering if Familia has been relegated to a setup role and Gsellmann has been, unofficially, named the closer.

It'll be interesting to see how this unfolds.

Footnote - thank God they sent Conlan down.  That kid isn't ready.

Let's Go Mets!!!!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

Taking Vargas out after 2 hits and 65 pitches was not a smart move, in my opinion. But it worked out.  Silver linings - we got the win and Peterson got his cup of coffee.  But Vargas was pitching very efficiently and effectively.  Yes ... he'd have been going through his third time through the order; but give the guy a hit or a walk before pulling him.  That was a head-scratcher.

I'm 47 and have been avidly watching baseball for well over 30 years.  That double play was one of the best I've ever seen.  Rosario and Cabrera deserve equal props.  That barehanded exchange and perfect throw were insane.

Now the interesting part ... Familia comes in, in the 8th.  Faces their toughest batters and (miraculously) gets through it.  

Add this to the fact that Gsellman was ready for the close last night ... I'm wondering if Familia has been relegated to a setup role and Gsellmann has been, unofficially, named the closer.

Let's Go Mets!!!!!!!!

I hated pulling Vargas (did I just type that?) but was OK with how he handled Familia. I don't trust Familia for 6 outs, but more to the point I think that was Calloway's M.O. with Cleveland. Use your closer in the high stress inning instead of waiting for a clean ninth that maybe never comes. It's debatable for sure but kind of what I expected more of with Calloway.

But really you just gave me an excuse to post one of my favorite Mets double plays:

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

I hated pulling Vargas (did I just type that?) but was OK with how he handled Familia. I don't trust Familia for 6 outs, but more to the point I think that was Calloway's M.O. with Cleveland. Use your closer in the high stress inning instead of waiting for a clean ninth that maybe never comes. It's debatable for sure but kind of what I expected more of with Calloway.

But really you just gave me an excuse to post one of my favorite Mets double plays:

I was totally fine with how he managed Familia and Gsellman.  I just wonder if it's a sign of possible permanent roles - with which, I'd be fine, too.  Unlike many starters who've been moved to the pen, Gsellman has really embraced it.  Unlike that douche who now pitches for the Reds.  But I digress.  Callaway's experience with pitching/being a pitching coach is exactly why I liked when we hired him.  I don't know a lot about how he coached the CLE pitching staff (other than the fact that they were very good) so I appreciate the insight!

10 hours ago, Gugny said:

Let's Go Mets!!!!!!!!

I actually liked that they used familia in the set up role. I think that is where he is at his best. That’s what he did before Mejia was banned for life, and nearly won the ROY due to how good he was. I wanted them to re-sign Reed as the closer and have familia be the set up guy. Familia doesn’t have the pin point control or good enough control to be a closer IMO. 

I’m the cubs have a let down the next few games. They had a super intense and emotional series with the Bucs. If they win this series it could be really helpful to their confidence. Hopefully Yo and Frazier come back within the next week or so even with the offense not being the issue this past series. 

I've said it before, it took me a long time to come around on Nimmo, I never thought he'd pan out after so much time in the minors.

I'm all in now. Check out his HR tonight. He wasn't a step and half out of the box and he was head down thinking triple. Love it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I've said it before, it took me a long time to come around on Nimmo, I never thought he'd pan out after so much time in the minors.

I'm all in now. Check out his HR tonight. He wasn't a step and half out of the box and he was head down thinking triple. Love it.

Yes sir,he's a better batter than Conforto (walk king) is. Don't call me silly but den Dekker is hitting the ball solid out west..just some food for thought.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Yes sir,he's a better batter than Conforto (walk king) is. Don't call me silly but den Dekker is hitting the ball solid out west..just some food for thought.

No doubt Nimmo's the better player this year, but Conforto gets a long leash. Can't let either one be the next Murphy or Justin Turner. 

Love that you're dialed in to the minors, keep it coming. I remember den Dekker as a plus CFer,  problem is he swings lefty, no? 

Headed to the game tomorrow night. If we fall below .500 you can blame me.

18 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

No doubt Nimmo's the better player this year, but Conforto gets a long leash. Can't let either one be the next Murphy or Justin Turner. 

Love that you're dialed in to the minors, keep it coming. I remember den Dekker as a plus CFer,  problem is he swings lefty, no? 

If you're sitting where you have viewing access to our dugout...please do me a favor and see how much Mick is communicating with Disarcina.Much appreciated..and enjoy the game. And yes about dD.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I was actually hoping the fire at Citi Field was his locker.

So this should mean you're going to lay off your dislike for Plawecki a bit. Good deal....My boy,KP knows the pitching staff well,when our two catchers went down..that's about the time poop stains started showing up on the sheets.

43 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Bingo.

6 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

If you're sitting where you have viewing access to our dugout...please do me a favor and see how much Mick is communicating with Disarcina.Much appreciated..and enjoy the game. And yes about dD.

No tickets yet, no clue where we're sitting but I'll try to keep Mick/Disarcina in mind. Trouble is, it's really  just an excuse for me and an old friend to have a night out, catch up, drink some beer and agree/disagree about much of the same things we agree/disagree with here.  

Oh boy.  Its nights like this (assuming they blow it) where I'm grateful for the broadcast of Gary, Keith, and Ronnie.  They make it as interesting/entertaining as possible.  Even if the rest of the season does turn out to be an epic fail, those guys can still make it worth watching to some extent. 

• Like (+1) 1