Mets fans?

Another Fan

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

Well the other side to that is I’m not sure how much of an anti Philly guy you are but they seem to be rocking and rolling

Id still root for them in the World Series over the Rangers (not that I’d watch an inning of it).  What probably influences my decision is really no contact with Phillies fans at all in my life 

I'm at the point where unless it's the D'Backs I'll be unhappy with whoever wins the WS. My pecking order is:

1) D'backs

2) Rangers (but I want to see Max get lit up every time he takes the mound)

3) Astros

4) !@#$ the Phillies 

On 10/19/2023 at 8:55 AM, SinceThe70s said:

I'm at the point where unless it's the D'Backs I'll be unhappy with whoever wins the WS. My pecking order is:

1) D'backs

2) Rangers (but I want to see Max get lit up every time he takes the mound)

3) Astros

4) !@#$ the Phillies 

@Gugny @Another Fan

We're pretty much simpatico on this, brother....especially #4. The only thing I would flip is Astros at #2 and Rangers at #3. I don't like the Astros at all but I'm used to them at this point and I find Velander to be slightly less of a douche nozzle than Scherzer. Plus the Rangers have never won anything and I don't need to see another Dallas/Ft. Worth team hoist a trophy....any trophy...ever again.

BTW, I checked in on the Philthies @ D'backs game last night when it was 2-2, left and came back to see Arizona issue three straight walks to open the top of the 6th, left again, came back to see they were down 4-2 and immediately left again figuring it was over, then checked one last time...and to my surprise...they were up 6-5 in the top of the 9th. Stayed to watch Paul Sewald (I miss you, Paul) shut them down to tie the series at 2-2. I'm shocked. I thought the series was over when Arizona went down two games to none. Finish these scumbags, Snakes!

#LFGM

@ExWNYer @Another Fan @SinceThe70s

I’m all in on an AZ/TX World Series wITH AZ winning it. 

I despise the Phillies and the Astros. If that’s the WS matchup, I hate to say it, but I’d root for Philly. 

This has nothing to do with the Astros’ cheating scandal. 

I just think they’re a bunch of arrogant pricks. 

But they are - and have been - a hell of a ball team. 

I haven’t watched a lick of postseason baseball. Probably the first time in my adult life I’ve skipped this much of the post season. 

I plan to tune into the World Series and - regardless of the teams - I really want to see some high quality baseball. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I despise the Phillies and the Astros. If that’s the WS matchup, I hate to say it, but I’d root for Philly. 

I haven’t watched a lick of postseason baseball. Probably the first time in my adult life I’ve skipped this much of the post season. 

I plan to tune into the World Series and - regardless of the teams - I really want to see some high quality baseball. 

The only time I would be okay with Philly winning the World Series would be against the Skanks. Nobody is more of an arrogant prick than Bryce Harper. Can't stand him and couldn't when he was with the Natalies either. This Philthies team has no shortage of arrogant pricks either but at least the Astros have earned that right to be that way.

This little gem only reinforces my never-ending despise of the Philthies...

“ 'F*ck the Bravos, and whoever the f*ck we play next, and always the Mets', a group of Phillies players, led by backup catcher Garrett Stubbs, chanted in their clubhouse while celebrating another NLDS upset win over the Atlanta Braves. The phrase started off promising, with the Mets and Phillies likely willing to agree that the Braves are far from allies. But the Phillies had to declare war on the Mets as well, who are likely just enjoying their offseason and watching the playoffs from the couch after a disappointing season."

https://nypost.com/2023/10/13/phillies-say-f-k-everybody-and-always-the-mets-after-nlds-win/   

Who the f*ck is Garrett Stubbs??

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Is that you think due to how much emphasis is placed on analytics in today's game?

One article on it

https://nypost.com/2022/04/21/mlbs-marriage-with-analytics-changing-baseball-for-the-worse/

I've been checked out the last few seasons in the post season with the Mets being home.  2017 was the last year I cared a little about the MLB Playoffs enough to watch the games.    Baseball today just seems so long, boring and heartless by this for me.  

I still prefer the old school manager type.  That's why whether that was fair or not Buck seemed to be my #1 disappointment last season for how underperforming the team was 

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

Is that you think due to how much emphasis is placed on analytics in today's game?

One article on it

https://nypost.com/2022/04/21/mlbs-marriage-with-analytics-changing-baseball-for-the-worse/

I've been checked out the last few seasons in the post season with the Mets being home.  2017 was the last year I cared a little about the MLB Playoffs enough to watch the games.    Baseball today just seems so long, boring and heartless by this for me.  

I still prefer the old school manager type.  That's why whether that was fair or not Buck seemed to be my #1 disappointment last season for how underperforming the team was 

I haven’t let the analytics ruin it for me. 

Of all the Manfred-era rule changes, the only one I hate is the runner on 2nd for extra innings. 

But I just think it boils down to having better things to do/better stuff to watch. 

@ExWNYer @Gugny @Another Fan

I have to admit that seeing Shamu Sea World Sewald blow the save put a grinchy grin on my face. 

On a more interesting note, did anyone see the quotes from Pham about 'the drive not being there with the Mets'. Comments didn't come off as vindictive, just matter of fact. I'm curious who he was referring to.

https://nypost.com/2023/10/26/sports/mets-didnt-have-dangerous-drive-like-diamondbacks-tommy-pham/

10 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

I have to admit that seeing Shamu Sea World Sewald blow the save put a grinchy grin on my face. 

On a more interesting note, did anyone see the quotes from Pham about 'the drive not being there with the Mets'. Comments didn't come off as vindictive, just matter of fact. I'm curious who he was referring to.

https://nypost.com/2023/10/26/sports/mets-didnt-have-dangerous-drive-like-diamondbacks-tommy-pham/

Not really surprised.

That's why from my point of view whether that was fair or not Buck was my main source of frustration last season.  I mean traditionally that should be the manager that should be instilling motivation, fear, discipline, etc...  in the club.  But I understand as well the front office has more and more power when it comes to how the day to day operations roll so to speak 

On 10/27/2023 at 11:37 PM, SinceThe70s said:

Pham said it in the clubhouse when he was still with the Mets so he didn't throw anybody under the bus here. He told them they didn't work hard enough. Apparently, one player he specified was Lindor. He's never been one to shy away from his opinions. Based on what he's doing now versus what the Mets did this year, it's hard to refute his accusation. BTW, he went 4-4 in Game 2 of the World Series, a 9-1 Arizona win. Go Snakes!

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

Pham said it in the clubhouse when he was still with the Mets so he didn't throw anybody under the bus here. He told them they didn't work hard enough. Apparently, one player he specified was Lindor. He's never been one to shy away from his opinions. Based on what he's doing now versus what the Mets did this year, it's hard to refute his accusation. BTW, he went 4-4 in Game 2 of the World Series, a 9-1 Arizona win. Go Snakes!

Just saw this from the game last night. Pham gave up a chance at history so a teammate could get a WS at bat after going 4-4. I'm guessing that nobody realized that 5-5 would have been a WS first. I'd also like to know why it was imperative to give Peterson an AB in game 2, I assume he won't suit up for many games.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38776351/tommy-pham-asked-sit-jace-peterson-appear-ws

9 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Just saw this from the game last night. Pham gave up a chance at history so a teammate could get a WS at bat after going 4-4. I'm guessing that nobody realized that 5-5 would have been a WS first. I'd also like to know why it was imperative to give Peterson an AB in game 2, I assume he won't suit up for many games.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38776351/tommy-pham-asked-sit-jace-peterson-appear-ws

Yeah, I saw that. Whether he was aware or not, it was a great act of selflessness on the part of Pham. Kudos to him. Peterson definitely wasn't aware and said after the game, "If I would have known that, I probably would have said, 'No, you're going to chase this record'." Their manager, Torey Lovullo, was skewered on social media and Pham had to go on there and defend him by saying that he (Pham) asked to be removed to give Peterson his AB. The cesspool that is social media...and the bane of modern society...never fails to disappoint.

@ExWNYer @SinceThe70s @Gugny

Well this hire came out of left field completely to me anyway.  I'm assuming Craig Counsell didn't want to leave Milwaukee.  

But my first honest reaction on hearing the news was Carlos Mendoza.....  Okay.  Who The Hell Is This Guy?

I'm assuming you will all have some strong and entertaining opinions on this topic!  

4 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Well this hire came out of left field completely to me anyway.  I'm assuming Craig Counsell didn't want to leave Milwaukee.  

But my first honest reaction on hearing the news was Carlos Mendoza.....  Okay.  Who The Hell Is This Guy?

I'm assuming you will all have some strong and ,  opinions on this topic!  

Actually Counsell went to Chicago. I don't really care that the Mets 'missed out' on him, but the other names I heard weren't inspiring. Case in point: Carlos Mendoza. I don't like the fact that he was the Yankees bench coach and as far as I know he's never managed so he steps up the plate with two strikes. But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and also  hope he's not a puppet.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I'm assuming you will all have some strong and entertaining opinions on this topic!  

All I wanted … and I don’t think it was a lot to ask … is that we got a PROVEN manager … i.e. - one with at least an hour of f*cking experience!!!

I am not happy about this hire. 

Learned the ropes by sitting next to one of the most overrated, horrible managers in MLB history. 

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK !!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Gugny said:

All I wanted … and I don’t think it was a lot to ask … is that we got a PROVEN manager … i.e. - one with at least an hour of f*cking experience!!!

I am not happy about this hire. 

Learned the ropes by sitting next to one of the most overrated, horrible managers in MLB history. 

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK !!!!

I hear that.

I did a little more leg work on Mendoza's background.....  My gut feeling now is the front office wants someone they can dictate their analytics/strategies too as a manager that won't really question their decision making.  Like this dude is real happy to land a high profile job like this and won't make waves so to speak.

Hope I'm wrong  

50 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I hear that.

I did a little more leg work on Mendoza's background.....  My gut feeling now is the front office wants someone they can dictate their analytics/strategies too as a manager that won't really question their decision making.  Like this dude is real happy to land a high profile job like this and won't make waves so to speak.

Hope I'm wrong  

I don’t think you are wrong. Beltran, Rojas, now this guy?  

Cohen is the common denominator, here. 

No bueno. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I don’t think you are wrong. Beltran, Rojas, now this guy?  

Cohen is the common denominator, here. 

No bueno. 

Actually, Cohen inherited Rojas - but this does feel like the same type of hire.

My son asked a friend who is a Yankee fan what he thought of Mendoza and his answer was "who?" Didn't even know it was the Yankees bench coach.

• Haha (+1) 1