Mets fans?

Another Fan

6 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

I agree with you and I don't believe that simply shortening games will draw younger eyeballs either but I think MLB does. The majority of their audience is over 50 and they are desperate to stay relevant for future generations. When we were kids I believe the time of the average game was similar to what we have now (too lazy right now to go look it up) but they didn't seem rushed like they do now. The games started getting bogged down somewhere along the line with batters stepping out of the box to adjust their gloves, crotch, helmet and do whatever other OCD quirks and superstitions they had coupled with managers changing pitchers after every batter. They definitely had to do something but I don't have those answers. This is all definitely a work in progress and will take some getting used to, at least for me.

The rule I hate the most is the ghost runner in extra innings. If I or anyone else have watched a game past the ninth inning do they really think we're leaving now?? I don't need the game shortened at that point. I'm invested and want to see it to its conclusion and the cat and mouse that goes along with determining the outcome. I also agree that one of the great joys in life is shooting the sh!t with friends/family at a ballgame. You don't need to pay attention to every second of the game which is part of the charm and beauty and it's a bonding/social event as much as anything else. The smell of the grass, the manicured field, the smell of the concessions, and the buzz of the crowd are magnificent and add to the magic and the ambiance. Baseball is the most beautiful of games, IMO, and I think you either like it and get it or you don't just like soccer for many people. If it weren't for baseball and my beloved, albeit frustrating, Mets the Bills off-season would be interminably longer than it already is. 

100%.  A number of years ago I got a midday call from my wife asking if I wanted tix to the game that night. Tix were from a business partner and 10 rows from the batters circle - best seats I've ever had for a Mets game. Next few hours were a mad scramble getting friends on board but we got to the seats shortly after the game started. Seats came with free food (hot dogs and chicken fingers - not filet mignon and lobster) and Syndegaard was on the mound, dominating and working quickly. Beautiful weather too. In the blink of an eye it was the 5th inning and I remember thinking the night was going way too fast.

I will say that one rule change I was OK with - and of course they did away with - was the 7 inning doubleheader (as long as it wasn't separate admission). On the other hand, the ghost runner is an abomination.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I googled yesterday's score and saw it was "Mental Health Awareness Day" at Citi Field as well.

All Mets fans mental health would improve finding other hobbies/interests besides watching this inept team.  

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 5/6/2023 at 7:26 AM, SinceThe70s said:

100%.  A number of years ago I got a midday call from my wife asking if I wanted tix to the game that night. Tix were from a business partner and 10 rows from the batters circle - best seats I've ever had for a Mets game. Next few hours were a mad scramble getting friends on board but we got to the seats shortly after the game started. Seats came with free food (hot dogs and chicken fingers - not filet mignon and lobster) and Syndegaard was on the mound, dominating and working quickly. Beautiful weather too. In the blink of an eye it was the 5th inning and I remember thinking the night was going way too fast.

I will say that one rule change I was OK with - and of course they did away with - was the 7 inning doubleheader (as long as it wasn't separate admission). On the other hand, the ghost runner is an abomination.

Thanks for sharing. Great story. Believe it or not, I have never seen a Mets home game. My cousin (originally from Jamestown, NY & went to NYU) and her boyfriend live in Brooklyn. She does not care anything at all about sports but, as a lifelong New Yorker, he is a diehard Met fan. He wants me to come up sometime and see the Mets with him so that is on my bucket list.

I made a road trip with my brother and some buddies to Pittsburgh to see the Mets play the Pirates in a weekend series at Three Rivers Stadium way back in 1987. I still have the ticket stubs for those games. I think they cost something like $8. They won one of those games, 5-4, on a Keith Hernandez Grand Slam. Rick Aguilera started and got the win and Roger McDowell saved it.

My worst Met memory (in person) was a game against the Orioles at Camden Yards (gorgeous ballpark). I went with a co-worker who was also a Met fan (originally from Port Jefferson, L.I.) and his nephew. I remember telling him before he got the tickets, "I hope Steve Trachsel isn't pitching when we go." I despised Trachsel. He made my skin crawl and always seemed to sh*t the bed when pitching for the Mets. He was a bum when they got him and continued to be a bum as a Met. The only other Met pitcher who even comes close to that disdain for me is Doug Sisk. Well, guess who pitched for the Mets that night? Yep...Trachsel. And guess who lost another game for the Mets? Yep...Trachsel. lol FYI...my coolest memory in Camden Yards (non-Mets related) was seeing Ken Griffey, Jr. hit a Grand Slam. I haven't been to a ton of games but I have been fortunate to witness some Grand Slams by some superstars. 

The most recent live game I attended was last July in Toronto to see the Jays beat the Tigers. Ex-Met Javy Baez hit a HR in that game for Detroit's only run.  

• 2 weeks later...

@ExWNYer  @Gugny   @SinceThe70s

I’ve just been goggling the scores the last week or so.  Feel the team right now isn’t worth getting invested in.

I don’t think Cohen has to go the whole Steinbrenner route of having his expectation to be 162-0 each year….  But yeah I wouldn’t mind seeing him nudge the guys a little more publicly.  How I see it is they all have a privilege to be making millions playing the game 

3 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I’ve just been goggling the scores the last week or so.  Feel the team right now isn’t worth getting invested in.

I don’t think Cohen has to go the whole Steinbrenner route of having his expectation to be 162-0 each year….  But yeah I wouldn’t mind seeing him nudge the guys a little more publicly.  How I see it is they all have a privilege to be making millions playing the game 

I am 100% in agreement with you. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Another Fan said:

To be honest, I've been watching a lot less of the Mets over the past few weeks, mostly due to the poor play and the feeling that losing is inevitable. I'll try to watch tonight to see if Verlander can help right the ship.

I don't necessarily feel like Cohen needs to make a public scene - but I was watching the recent game where the Mets got interfered with and without seeing a definitive replay at first told my son that Buck needed to get himself ejected. When he did get thrown out I told my son he needed to go ballistic ala Earl Weaver or Tommy LaSorda but Buck didn't take it to that extreme.  But I don't see the need for Cohen to throw gas on the fire, it won't make Pedersen any better and I prefer when owner leave the day-to-day to the sports people. 

BTW, can you imagine if the Mets signed Correa and he got off to the same poor start he's having?  

On 5/16/2023 at 9:05 AM, Another Fan said:

On 5/16/2023 at 9:09 AM, Gugny said:

I am 100% in agreement with you. 

On 5/16/2023 at 3:45 PM, SinceThe70s said:

To be honest, I've been watching a lot less of the Mets over the past few weeks, mostly due to the poor play and the feeling that losing is inevitable. I'll try to watch tonight to see if Verlander can help right the ship.

I don't necessarily feel like Cohen needs to make a public scene - but I was watching the recent game where the Mets got interfered with and without seeing a definitive replay at first told my son that Buck needed to get himself ejected. When he did get thrown out I told my son he needed to go ballistic ala Earl Weaver or Tommy LaSorda but Buck didn't take it to that extreme.  But I don't see the need for Cohen to throw gas on the fire, it won't make Pedersen any better and I prefer when owner leave the day-to-day to the sports people. 

BTW, can you imagine if the Mets signed Correa and he got off to the same poor start he's having?  

I think we're pretty much all in agreement. This year has been a huge disappointment and I have been following them cursorily the last few weeks, even turning off the alerts on my phone. The 101 win regular season in 2022 was a fun ride but, starting with the playoffs last year and into this season, it's been 'Same old f*cking Mets' ever since. If I were Cohen, I'd be less than thrilled with the front office and the HALF A BILLION dollar turd that Billy 'In-EPP-tler' and his cronies have assembled. It's been encouraging to see Baty, Alvarez, & Vientos but I want to see that type of encouragement on an expected 'also ran' not on an expected World Series contender. I keep telling myself that the Natalies were like 19-31 in 2019 before they went on their run and won the World Series but I just don't see that turnaround happening with this Mets squad. There is talent on the roster, obviously, but they seem more like a mismatched band whose whole is less than the sum of its parts. I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see it happening. The pitching has been beyond horrendous. I told my younger Met fan son the other day, "I'm done with Peterson. I don't care if they demote him to Syracuse, trade him for a roll of tape to a team desperate to try & resurrect a lefty, or outright DFA him but he CANNOT be out there for the big club every 5th day." I have been a Peterson supporter since he was drafted but he has majorly regressed and doesn't seem like he'll ever work out in NY. He needs a change of scenery or an entirely new career. Bye, Felicia.

So, I tuned in last night in the bottom of the 7th when they were down, 2-0, just to check on the tire fire and actually stuck around to see probably their most entertaining win of the season. Senga was already gone and had done an admirable job of holding Tampa Bay to just one run thru six innings. Vientos (7th), Alvarez (9th), & Alonso (10th) all went yard (a true Mets rarity) to overcome three different late inning, multi-run deficits. That was not enough to get me fully invested again but they are on MLB Network this afternoon and last night was at least enough to whet my appetite and see if the bats are finally awakening or if that outburst was just an offensive anomaly.

• Like (+1) 1

@Gugny @SinceThe70s @Another Fan

Only two runs allowed in six solid innings by Megill and the bullpen did the rest. Alonso with HR #16 and the offense did just enough as the Mets won it, 3-2, to take the rubber game. Nice series against the best team in baseball. Oddly, that was only their 18th home game and they are headed back out on to the road. Let's see if these two games have started to right the ship.

Note: Complaint of the day (even though they won). Buck irritates me sometimes. After sparking the offense last night with a HR each and a combined 5 RBI out of the team total of 8, both Vientos and Alvarez were on the bench today. They are young and need to play and there is something to be said for playing the 'hot hand'. I'm assuming that Buck was 'playing the percentages' in sitting them against a righty SP but I'd take my chances with them over the underwhelming lefty and switch-hitting bats of Vogelbach and Escobar, respectively.

LGM

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

I think we're pretty much all in agreement. This year has been a huge disappointment and I have been following them cursorily the last few weeks, even turning off the alerts on my phone. The 101 win regular season in 2022 was a fun ride but, starting with the playoffs last year and into this season, it's been 'Same old f*cking Mets' ever since. If I were Cohen, I'd be less than thrilled with the front office and the HALF A BILLION dollar turd that Billy 'In-EPP-tler' and his cronies have assembled. It's been encouraging to see Baty, Alvarez, & Vientos but I want to see that type of encouragement on an expected 'also ran' not on an expected World Series contender. I keep telling myself that the Natalies were like 19-31 in 2019 before they went on their run and won the World Series but I just don't see that turnaround happening with this Mets squad. There is talent on the roster, obviously, but they seem more like a mismatched band whose whole is less than the sum of its parts. I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see it happening. The pitching has been beyond horrendous. I told my younger Met fan son the other day, "I'm done with Peterson. I don't care if they demote him to Syracuse, trade him for a roll of tape to a team desperate to try & resurrect a lefty, or outright DFA him but he CANNOT be out there for the big club every 5th day." I have been a Peterson supporter since he was drafted but he has majorly regressed and doesn't seem like he'll ever work out in NY. He needs a change of scenery or an entirely new career. Bye, Felicia.

So, I tuned in last night in the bottom of the 7th when they were down, 2-0, just to check on the tire fire and actually stuck around to see probably their most entertaining win of the season. Senga was already gone and had done an admirable job of holding Tampa Bay to just one run thru six innings. Vientos (7th), Alvarez (9th), & Alonso (10th) all went yard (a true Mets rarity) to overcome three different late inning, multi-run deficits. That was not enough to get me fully invested again but they are on MLB Network this afternoon and last night was at least enough to whet my appetite and see if the bats are finally awakening or if that outburst was just an offensive anomaly.

Last night was another night where I was half-interested but this time circumstances beyond my control prevented me from seeing any of the good stuff. As I was waiting outside the HS to pick up my son I heard the Vientos HR on the radio. Got home and had the game on while I was doing other stuff and when they got the first runner on in the 9th I had a good feeling (I'm an eternal optimistic) - just in time to get a call that we had to run over to my in-laws to help my father-in-law who had taken a fall and couldn't get up. Got that situation under control just in time to to get a text from my college kid asking if we saw the ending. I assumed it was a 9th inning comeback - found out later the full scope. Missed the game today as I was driving south  for the end of semester pick up.

First series win since forever. Despite my optimism this just feels like a lost year. But if I put on my happy hat: Senga was outstanding last night, Verlander had a bad outing but looked very good in his other starts, Quintana may be coming back soon, looks like Megill had a good outing and we can hope (dream?) that Scherzer returns to some semblance of his dominant self. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Last night was another night where I was half-interested but this time circumstances beyond my control prevented me from seeing any of the good stuff. As I was waiting outside the HS to pick up my son I heard the Vientos HR on the radio. Got home and had the game on while I was doing other stuff and when they got the first runner on in the 9th I had a good feeling (I'm an eternal optimistic) - just in time to get a call that we had to run over to my in-laws to help my father-in-law who had taken a fall and couldn't get up. Got that situation under control just in time to to get a text from my college kid asking if we saw the ending. I assumed it was a 9th inning comeback - found out later the full scope. Missed the game today as I was driving south  for the end of semester pick up.

First series win since forever. Despite my optimism this just feels like a lost year. But if I put on my happy hat: Senga was outstanding last night, Verlander had a bad outing but looked very good in his other starts, Quintana may be coming back soon, looks like Megill had a good outing and we can hope (dream?) that Scherzer returns to some semblance of his dominant self. 

Glad your father-in-law is okay. That's scary. That said, I think it's obvious what you need to do to get this team untracked...and, deep down, you know what you have to do, as well. Go to your in-laws before each game and gently push your father-in-law to the floor. Just be sure to help him up before you leave. LGM! :devil: ❤️

• Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

Glad your father-in-law is okay. That's scary. That said, I think it's obvious what you need to do to get this team untracked...and, deep down, you know what you have to do, as well. Go to your in-laws before each game and gently push your father-in-law to the floor. Just be sure to help him up before you leave. LGM! :devil: ❤️

For the record I pushed my FIL down a flight of steps after Pete didn't run out the ball to short. Happy with the end result for the Mets but this isn't sustainable for the Mets or my marital bliss.

On a more serious note, got my kid home from college and we were watching the game tonight. I lost it when Pete didn't run out the ground ball...but then told him that Pete would have a big hit. As an eternal optimist that might have been the blind squirrel finding the nut. I think we are coming out of the rut of the past month and we'll see much much better baseball out of the Mets going forward - but it still feels like winning a WS this year is a pipe dream.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 5/19/2023 at 10:54 PM, SinceThe70s said:

For the record I pushed my FIL down a flight of steps after Pete didn't run out the ball to short. Happy with the end result for the Mets but this isn't sustainable for the Mets or my marital bliss.

On a more serious note, got my kid home from college and we were watching the game tonight. I lost it when Pete didn't run out the ground ball...but then told him that Pete would have a big hit. As an eternal optimist that might have been the blind squirrel finding the nut. I think we are coming out of the rut of the past month and we'll see much much better baseball out of the Mets going forward - but it still feels like winning a WS this year is a pipe dream.

They have played some exciting games during this five game winning streak but I agree that it's more than likely not sustainable. Ottavino and Robertson (more surprisingly) couldn't hold leads and were actually bailed out by the offense. The increase in HRs has been a welcomed addition but, again, is it sustainable? They are a mostly power deficient team but the 'Baby Mets' have helped in that department for sure. Baty has looked like a pro for most of his time up and Alvarez is blossoming into a real life catcher with offensive chops right before our eyes. I love Vientos potential, too. I'm still irritated that Buck won't take the reins off and is treating them with kid gloves. This current resurgence is due in large part to them (with some Polar Bear magic sprinkled in to the mix) and playing them every other day is just asinine. PLAY. THEM. BUCK.

BTW, the split doubleheader sweep on Sunday was a nice present for my younger son's 21st birthday. He shares the same birthday with Josh Allen! :beer:   

@Gugny @ExWNYer @SinceThe70s

Just something I noticed.  Yeah 27-26 isn't impressive but it looks like the team is only 1/2 game out of the 2nd wildcard.  

The NL seems very tight overall if that's the right word.   Dodgers have the best record at 32-21 and Cubs have worst record at 22-29.  There's only really 9 games between the worst and best teams record wise right now 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Just something I noticed.  Yeah 27-26 isn't impressive but it looks like the team is only 1/2 game out of the 2nd wildcard.  

The NL seems very tight overall if that's the right word.   Dodgers have the best record at 32-21 and Cubs have worst record at 22-29.  There's only really 9 games between the worst and best teams record wise right now 

@Gugny @SinceThe70s

All of this is true (27-27 now) but the question is...does this team really look like one capable of making a deep playoff run and a World Series appearance? Not to me, not at the moment anyway.  They are a weird hybrid/mishmash of highly overpaid and underachieving vets & inexperienced newbies.

I'm thoroughly enjoying watching Brandon Nimmo, the growth of Baty & Alvarez (looks like they finally have a legit catcher), and 'The Pete Alonso Experience' which has been amazing to witness...but that's it. The fun ends there. Buck continues to piss me off over his under use of the kids. Why the hell did they call up Vientos if they're not going to let him play?? He might as well be in Syracuse getting the ABs and experience in the field. The pitching staff from Scherzer & Verlander to the other barely warm bodies has been inconsistent at best and horrible at worst. This team went to Colorado and put up 7 runs and 10 runs in back-to-back games and still managed to find a way to lose them both. I'm not worried about them missing the playoffs. What worries me is that they'll flip one of these exciting kids at the deadline...like Vientos or Mauricio...just for a Darin Ruf level rental who will needlessly be added as they fall short yet again.

20 hours ago, Another Fan said:

WRT fighting for a wild card spot - for sure that's in play. Problem for me is that the Mets are kind of like the Bills in that expectations are higher than just making the playoffs and this doesn't look like a championship team to me. That could all change - look no further than the run the Phillies made last year after a poor start - but that feels like optimism over realism.

In the mean time I am excited about seeing how the kids make their way into the lineup. Alvarez looks like a stud, Baty looks like he belongs and Vientos looks like a guy who could force himself into a spot given the opportunity. Meanwhile Mauricio looks ready for his shot at the majors. I'm expecting him to come up at some point to play second with McNeil moving to the OF. That could improve the lineup and give us a real backup at SS. Guys like Canha, Escobar, Vogelbach and Nido are going to start getting squeezed out. 

8 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

@Gugny @SinceThe70s

All of this is true (27-27 now) but the question is...does this team really look like one capable of making a deep playoff run and a World Series appearance? Not to me, not at the moment anyway.  They are a weird hybrid/mishmash of highly overpaid and underachieving vets & inexperienced newbies.

I'm thoroughly enjoying watching Brandon Nimmo, the growth of Baty & Alvarez (looks like they finally have a legit catcher), and 'The Pete Alonso Experience' which has been amazing to witness...but that's it. The fun ends there. Buck continues to piss me off over his under use of the kids. Why the hell did they call up Vientos if they're not going to let him play?? He might as well be in Syracuse getting the ABs and experience in the field. The pitching staff from Scherzer & Verlander to the other barely warm bodies has been inconsistent at best and horrible at worst. This team went to Colorado and put up 7 runs and 10 runs in back-to-back games and still managed to find a way to lose them both. I'm not worried about them missing the playoffs. What worries me is that they'll flip one of these exciting kids at the deadline...like Vientos or Mauricio...just for a Darin Ruf level rental who will needlessly be added as they fall short yet again.

That would be horrifying. I don't think they'd do it for a Ruf-type but I could see it happen for a closer - but I'm with you, I'd hold onto the younguns.

As much as I don't like the history of the Mets playing guys out of position I don't think McNeil in LF is an issue. That guy can flat out play.

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

That would be horrifying. I don't think they'd do it for a Ruf-type but I could see it happen for a closer - but I'm with you, I'd hold onto the younguns.

As much as I don't like the history of the Mets playing guys out of position I don't think McNeil in LF is an issue. That guy can flat out play.

I like McNeil and think he's a more than serviceable outfielder. He's the gritty Wally Backman-type that every team needs. My Darin Ruf example may have been a little hyperbole but I still stand by the sentiment. I don't want them flipping assets who could be core pieces down the line, even for a closer. Diaz will be the closer again next year and Robertson is more than capable of handling the job this year, if the starters start holding up their end of the bargain and saving the bullpen from all of the wear and tear they're currently enduring. Robertson's hiccups, like the rest of the backend guys, have been due to overuse, IMO. I don't believe this is their year regardless of what they do at the deadline and I don't want them sacrificing the future for 'the now'. That has happened way too often with this franchise and year after year they add stop gaps like Ruf, Vogelbach, & Pham. Enough already. Address the DH position and add some real, sustainable power in the offseason. And let's get some reliable starting pitchers who aren't 105 years old and injury prone.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Gugny @ExWNYer @Another Fan

This morning I saw that DeGrom was being put on the (retroactive) 60 day IL. Since then it came out that he has a UCL injury, might need TJ surgery and in his own words "I want to get it fixed and will set a goal to be back before the end of next year". 

I'm not dancing on the grave here, I really feel bad for Jake. At the same time I'll admit that I'm happy that we're not on the hook for the contract - and another 2 years waiting and hoping he'll get back to being the dominant pitcher he was in the past.

The Rangers signed him to a 5 year deal and in all likelihood will get next to nothing out of the first two years and who knows what to expect after that.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

@Gugny @ExWNYer @Another Fan

This morning I saw that DeGrom was being put on the (retroactive) 60 day IL. Since then it came out that he has a UCL injury, might need TJ surgery and in his own words "I want to get it fixed and will set a goal to be back before the end of next year". 

I'm not dancing on the grave here, I really feel bad for Jake. At the same time I'll admit that I'm happy that we're not on the hook for the contract - and another 2 years waiting and hoping he'll get back to being the dominant pitcher he was in the past.

The Rangers signed him to a 5 year deal and in all likelihood will get next to nothing out of the first two years and who knows what to expect after that.

I would have been pissed if the Mets paid him what Texas did. 

That said, Texas’ GM should be fired. 

Anyone with a functioning brain knew this was gonna happen. 

6’4”, 180 lbs., throwing 100+ MPH on a  consistent basis is never gonna end well.