Mets fans?

Another Fan

33 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

@ExWNYer @Gugny @Another Fan

For the most part it's been all quiet on the western front wrt to Correa.

I still expect a deal to happen, but my big take-away right now is that Cohen's financial might has muzzled the normal Borass d-baggery. 

Not sure.  I read the Mets were actually frustrated with Carlos.  Like take a dump or get off the pot.

So what would become of Lindor in the field if they do sign him? 

7 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Not sure.  I read the Mets were actually frustrated with Carlos.  Like take a dump or get off the pot.

Correa goes to third - he's cool with that. For 300+ mill who wouldn't be? Well, maybe a modern day A-Rod :)

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

Correa goes to third - he's cool with that. For 300+ mill who wouldn't be? Well, maybe a modern day A-Rod :)

@Gugny

Happy New Year, fellas.

Everything I've read and heard from Mets insiders and reporters like John Harper is that they eventually expect a deal to get done. They seem to think that the parties are reworking the vast language of the contract which will take some time given the magnitude of the deal. Both sides want protections built in for themselves and no agreement is ever a walk in the park when Boras is involved. I think Boras wants to get this done with the Mets because he knows there will not be a bigger deal coming from anyone else and he probably doesn't want to risk alienating the biggest cash cow among owners. That last sentence is just my speculation/two cents.

20 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

@Gugny

Happy New Year, fellas.

Everything I've read and heard from Mets insiders and reporters like John Harper is that they eventually expect a deal to get done. They seem to think that the parties are reworking the vast language of the contract which will take some time given the magnitude of the deal. Both sides want protections built in for themselves and no agreement is ever a walk in the park when Boras is involved. I think Boras wants to get this done with the Mets because he knows there will not be a bigger deal coming from anyone else and he probably doesn't want to risk alienating the biggest cash cow among owners. That last sentence is just my speculation/two cents.

Happy New Year back at ya! 

Completely agree on your last sentence speculation - was talking to my boys shortly before posting about Cohen being Boras's  golden goose. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/7/2023 at 10:23 PM, SinceThe70s said:

On 1/8/2023 at 12:03 AM, ExWNYer said:

@Gugny

Happy New Year, fellas.

On 1/8/2023 at 12:35 AM, SinceThe70s said:

Completely agree on your last sentence speculation - was talking to my boys shortly before posting about Cohen being Boras's  golden goose. 

Looks like Correa is finalizing a  six-year, $200 million deal with the Twins.

13 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I think he still has to clear the medical hurdle, but maybe the Twins already had that info already and are comfortable with the shorter deal.  If so, I'd love to know why the Mets (or Giants) wouldn't have done the same.

On one hand this is disappointing, but between concern about the meds and the fact that I am comfortable with the Escobar/Baty fallback option I'm content to shrug my shoulders and move on.

EDIT: here's an article from Heyman with some more detail. I'm pretty sure that Heyman is Boras' unofficlal mouth piece:

https://nypost.com/2023/01/10/why-carlos-correa-ended-up-with-twins-instead-of-mets/

Edited by SinceThe70s

6 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I think he still has to clear the medical hurdle, but maybe the Twins already had that info already and are comfortable with the shorter deal.  If so, I'd love to know why the Mets (or Giants) wouldn't have done the same.

On one hand this is disappointing, but between concern about the meds and the fact that I am comfortable with the Escobar/Baty fallback option I'm content to shrug my shoulders and move on.

My guess is that they don't think his ankle will even hold up for six years ... maybe even worried that it won't hold up for 3 or 4 years.

I just checked the remaining free agent pool and it's weak.  I think we've got our team and like you, I'm fine with it.

On 1/8/2023 at 1:35 AM, SinceThe70s said:

19 hours ago, Gugny said:

19 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

EDIT: here's an article from Heyman with some more detail. I'm pretty sure that Heyman is Boras' unofficlal mouth piece:

https://nypost.com/2023/01/10/why-carlos-correa-ended-up-with-twins-instead-of-mets/

19 hours ago, Gugny said:

My guess is that they don't think his ankle will even hold up for six years ... maybe even worried that it won't hold up for 3 or 4 years.

I just checked the remaining free agent pool and it's weak.  I think we've got our team and like you, I'm fine with it.

Totally agree with the bolded in your posts. I was beyond excited when they signed Correa but I am now just glad that this is behind them one way or another and they can just move on to Spring Training. Too much drama, too much back-and-forth. I hope that Cohen has learned a painful lesson, too, and can keep his mouth shut and his statements off of social media until his potential players clear their medicals and all of the 'i's have been dotted and all of the 't's have been crossed. For someone so business savvy, that was a bush league blunder on his part. The fan in him got the better of the businessman. The fact that Correa was willing to jump wherever..."Oooh, yes the Giants...no, wait the Mets...oops, I meant the Twins!" tells me something about his character and Boras' undying need to bleed every last cent out of the sucker, er...team...willing to pay his ransom. Boras is great for his players, not so much for the fans, IMHO. I, for one, will not shed a tear when he is one day pushing up daisies. That said, good luck with your millions, Correa, because you're never winning a WS with Minnesota. Your Twins might want to try beating the Skanks for the first time in like a billion years while you're rolling around in a bed full of hundred dollar bills....

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

Totally agree with the bolded in your posts. I was beyond excited when they signed Correa but I am now just glad that this is behind them one way or another and they can just move on to Spring Training. Too much drama, too much back-and-forth. I hope that Cohen has learned a painful lesson, too, and can keep his mouth shut and his statements off of social media until his potential players clear their medicals and all of the 'i's have been dotted and all of the 't's have been crossed. For someone so business savvy, that was a bush league blunder on his part. The fan in him got the better of the businessman. The fact that Correa was willing to jump wherever..."Oooh, yes the Giants...no, wait the Mets...oops, I meant the Twins!" tells me something about his character and Boras' undying need to bleed every last cent out of the sucker, er...team...willing to pay his ransom. Boras is great for his players, not so much for the fans, IMHO. I, for one, will not shed a tear when he is one day pushing up daisies. That said, good luck with your millions, Correa, because you're never winning a WS with Minnesota. Your Twins might want to try beating the Skanks for the first time in like a billion years while you're rolling around in a bed full of hundred dollar bills....

I'm with you on Bor-@ss - can't stand him - overall he's good for the players but bad for baseball. Although the owners who can't help but overpay are complicit as well. One thing I'll say about Cohen/Boras is that as best as I could tell Boras kept his mouth shut ever since the Mets questioned Correa's meds - which didn't happen with the Giants. I'm guessing that's cuz Boras knows better than to try to control the narrative with Cohen like he did with the Coupons.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I'm with you on Bor-@ss - can't stand him - overall he's good for the players but bad for baseball. Although the owners who can't help but overpay are complicit as well. One thing I'll say about Cohen/Boras is that as best as I could tell Boras kept his mouth shut ever since the Mets questioned Correa's meds - which didn't happen with the Giants. I'm guessing that's cuz Boras knows better than to try to control the narrative with Cohen like he did with the Coupons.

BTW, it's official. Correa just passed his physical with the Twins. They'd better hope it works out because they can't absorb a financial blunder like Cohen. Caveat emptor, Minnesota.

@Gugny @SinceThe70s @Another Fan

Meh. Fills a hole but does not move the needle for me. Another 'past his prime' bat. 

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-rumors-twins-could-trade-luis-arraez-for-pitching-help-mets-sign-tommy-pham/

"The Mets have agreed to a one-year, $6 million deal with free agent outfielder Tommy Pham, reports Jon Heyman. Pham is heading toward his age-35 season. In 144 games last year for the Reds and Red Sox, he hit .236/.312/.374 (87 OPS+) with 23 doubles, 17 homers, 63 RBI, 89 runs, eight steals and 0.4 WAR. 

The expectation here is Pham will be a fourth outfielder for the Mets behind Brandon Nimmo (CF), Starling Marte (RF) and Mark Canha (LF), though there's always a chance everyday playing time opens up. There are also DH at-bats and Pham could figure there (or play left field with Canha at DH against lefties, as left-handed swinging Daniel Vogelbach figures to be the primary DH)."

3 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

@Gugny @SinceThe70s @Another Fan

Meh. Fills a hole but does not move the needle for me. Another 'past his prime' bat. 

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-rumors-twins-could-trade-luis-arraez-for-pitching-help-mets-sign-tommy-pham/

"The Mets have agreed to a one-year, $6 million deal with free agent outfielder Tommy Pham, reports Jon Heyman. Pham is heading toward his age-35 season. In 144 games last year for the Reds and Red Sox, he hit .236/.312/.374 (87 OPS+) with 23 doubles, 17 homers, 63 RBI, 89 runs, eight steals and 0.4 WAR. 

The expectation here is Pham will be a fourth outfielder for the Mets behind Brandon Nimmo (CF), Starling Marte (RF) and Mark Canha (LF), though there's always a chance everyday playing time opens up. There are also DH at-bats and Pham could figure there (or play left field with Canha at DH against lefties, as left-handed swinging Daniel Vogelbach figures to be the primary DH)."

Very meh.

I was hoping we'd land Trey Mancini, but he signed with the Cubs.

Going into the season with Ruf and Vogelabach as the primary DHs is a huge disappointment.  I've liked a lot of what Eppler has done ... but he's addressing the DH like Beane has addressed the O Line.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Very meh.

I was hoping we'd land Trey Mancini, but he signed with the Cubs.

Going into the season with Ruf and Vogelabach as the primary DHs is a huge disappointment.  I've liked a lot of what Eppler has done ... but he's addressing the DH like Beane has addressed the O Line.

And it probably feels even more 'meh' than it really is after losing Correa.

@Gugny @ExWNYer

Late to the party but I'm fine with bringing in a vet backup. Guys get hurt and relying on the likes of Nick Plummer and Khalil Lee for a team with championship aspirations doesn't make sense. It also pushes Ruf or Vogelbach one step closer to the exit door. 

Plus now we have a guy to run the clubhouse fantasy football pool! Which is nice.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

@Gugny @ExWNYer @Another Fan

Today I learned that the Mets are running a Super Bowl commercial in the local market

https://risingapple.com/posts/ny-mets-super-bowl-commercial-watch

Very cool!  I didn't read much of the article, because I didn't want any spoilers.

Another very cool, Mets-related thing attached to the Super Bowl ... Kevin Burkhardt.  It seems like yesterday that he was in the stands for Mets games.  Now he's top dawg at Fox and doing the Super Bowl.  I think that is fantastic!

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

Very cool!  I didn't read much of the article, because I didn't want any spoilers.

Another very cool, Mets-related thing attached to the Super Bowl ... Kevin Burkhardt.  It seems like yesterday that he was in the stands for Mets games.  Now he's top dawg at Fox and doing the Super Bowl.  I think that is fantastic!

I remember Kevin's early career roaming the stands at Citi - you could tell he was a good one, usually had something interesting to say and had a very engaging delivery. One of those people you come across in life that when they start telling a story you want to hear what they have to say. Amazing that he's the lead for the SB this year.  

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

@Gugny @ExWNYer @Another Fan

Today I learned that the Mets are running a Super Bowl commercial in the local market

https://risingapple.com/posts/ny-mets-super-bowl-commercial-watch

@Another Fan

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

I remember Kevin's early career roaming the stands at Citi - you could tell he was a good one, usually had something interesting to say and had a very engaging delivery. One of those people you come across in life that when they start telling a story you want to hear what they have to say. Amazing that he's the lead for the SB this year.  

I saw the commercial on SNY. I liked it...thought the premise was good and it generated a chuckle. Nice to see some of the personalities of the guys you don't often get to see.

I love Kevin Burkhardt and was bummed when he left for greener pastures. He always seemed like a genuinely nice guy and he was great on Mets coverage. I like Steve Gelbs, too, but Burkhardt was the bomb.

I think we're lucky to have the people covering the Mets who do. Love the broadcasts and the pre- and post-game shows. I am forced to watch the Washington Natalies feed when the Mets play them and their crew is absolutely horrendous and unprofessional. I often have to mute the sound to avoid the puke-inducing Bob Carpenter's grating, homer voice. BTW, it's fortunate that the Mets coverage is good. I have checked out some of the Jest coverage and they are awful, too. Bart Scott is one of the worst pieces of shite I have ever heard. He comes across as angry all the time and rarely gives credit to the Jest's opponent for anything. He seems to find it insulting every time they lose, regardless of the opponent. But enough of that...

Spring Training is almost here! LGM!!

2 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

@Another Fan

I saw the commercial on SNY. I liked it...thought the premise was good and it generated a chuckle. Nice to see some of the personalities of the guys you don't often get to see.

I love Kevin Burkhardt and was bummed when he left for greener pastures. He always seemed like a genuinely nice guy and he was great on Mets coverage. I like Steve Gelbs, too, but Burkhardt was the bomb.

I think we're lucky to have the people covering the Mets who do. Love the broadcasts and the pre- and post-game shows. I am forced to watch the Washington Natalies feed when the Mets play them and their crew is absolutely horrendous and unprofessional. I often have to mute the sound to avoid the puke-inducing Bob Carpenter's grating, homer voice. BTW, it's fortunate that the Mets coverage is good. I have checked out some of the Jest coverage and they are awful, too. Bart Scott is one of the worst pieces of shite I have ever heard. He comes across as angry all the time and rarely gives credit to the Jest's opponent for anything. He seems to find it insulting every time they lose, regardless of the opponent. But enough of that...

Spring Training is almost here! LGM!!

We are incredibly lucky to have Ron, Keith and Gary.  There is no other broadcast team in any sport that is better than them, IMO.  And I'll opine the same with regard to Howie Rose on the radio.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1