Mets fans?

Another Fan

2 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

@Gugny @SinceThe70s @Another Fan

Verlander inking two year deal with the Mets!

(Gimme Rodon, too)

I like that it's 2 years.  Better (and smarter) than giving Jake five years.  Verlander and Max will be 40 and 39, respectively, next season.  Gulp.

I think the Rodon ship has sailed.

Would love to bring Bassitt and Walker back.

Still processing!!

Edited by Gugny

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I like that it's 2 years.  Better (and smarter) than giving Jake five years.  Verlander and Max will be 40 and 39, respectively, next season.  Gulp.

I think the Rodon ship has sailed.

Would love to bring Bassitt and Walker back.

Still processing!!

Until it's reported that Rodon has actually signed somewhere, the ship is still anchored. Although I believe he is a Bor-ass client which never gives me a warm and fuzzy.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

Until it's reported that Rodon has actually signed somewhere, the ship is still anchored. Although I believe he is a Bor-ass client which never gives me a warm and fuzzy.

If the season were to start today, this would be the rotation:

Max Scherzer

Justin Verlander

Carlos Carrasco

David Peterson

Tylor Megill

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

If the season were to start today, this would be the rotation:

Max Scherzer

Justin Verlander

Carlos Carrasco

David Peterson

Tylor Megill

If Scherzer &/or Verlander end up shelved at one or more points during the season (very possible, given their ages), that is a rotation that will be looking up in the standings at Atlanta & Philly.

<shudders>

Jerry Seinfeld GIF

1 minute ago, ExWNYer said:

If Scherzer &/or Verlander end up shelved at one or more points during the season (very possible, given their ages), that is a rotation that will be looking up in the standings at Atlanta & Philly.

<shudders>

Jerry Seinfeld GIF

The Mets didn't run away with the division because Scherzer and deGrom each missed a chunk of the season.

They cannot go into this season banking on Scherzer and Verlander staying healthy for the full season.

I just can't see them ponying up for Rodon after the Verlander deal and the Diaz deal.  We shall see.  But I agree ... the rotation as-is does not give me any warm fuzzies.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The Mets didn't run away with the division because Scherzer and deGrom each missed a chunk of the season.

They cannot go into this season banking on Scherzer and Verlander staying healthy for the full season.

I just can't see them ponying up for Rodon after the Verlander deal and the Diaz deal.  We shall see.  But I agree ... the rotation as-is does not give me any warm fuzzies.

Right now they have an old, incomplete rotation, no bullpen outside of Diaz, a huge hole at catcher (can't count on Alvarez coming in and setting the world on fire as a rook), and no power outside of Alonso (and somewhat Lindor). They have a ton of work to do (and money they will have to spend) but, currently, my expectations as compared to last year are nonexistent. Even with the Verlander signing, I am not excited yet for 2023.

FYI...useless tidbit...Verlander is from the Richmond area and pitched his high school ball one county over from where I live.

@ExWNYer @Gugny

I like the Verlander signing - I think you need a stud pitcher or two to win the WS. But we'll be in the same boat as we were this year hoping the the top 2 don'ty breakdown.

I would love to see them sign Rodon, it would bolster the rotation this year and give us longer term rotation stability. We'll have to wait and see how much more Cohen is willing to spend. Lots of areas of concern:

1. Bullpen needs to be rebuilt
  2. Nimmo needs to be re-signed or replaced. They are supposedly taking to Benitendi. The guy that wants out of Pittsburgh looks like a better fit.
  3. Another power hitter would help - kind of scary that it looks like they may stick with Ruf/Vogelbach at DH.
  4. Apart from maybe trading Nido or McCann I don't expect changes at catcher.  Alvarez will be given every chance to win the job. Fingers crossed that addresses catcher and power hitter
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

@ExWNYer @Gugny

I like the Verlander signing - I think you need a stud pitcher or two to win the WS. But we'll be in the same boat as we were this year hoping the the top 2 don'ty breakdown.

I would love to see them sign Rodon, it would bolster the rotation this year and give us longer term rotation stability. We'll have to wait and see how much more Cohen is willing to spend. Lots of areas of concern:

2. Nimmo needs to be re-signed or replaced. They are supposedly taking to Benitendi. The guy that wants out of Pittsburgh looks like a better fit.
  3. Another power hitter would help - kind of scary that it looks like they may stick with Ruf/Vogelbach at DH.
  4. Apart from maybe trading Nido or McCann I don't expect changes at catcher.  Alvarez will be given every chance to win the job. Fingers crossed that addresses catcher and power hitter

Numbers 1-3 are absolutely huge concerns.  I also agree that the kid wanting a trade out of Pittsburgh is a better (MUCH better) fit than Benitendi.  I know he was cheap, but I kind of did a double-take when they re-signed Vogelbach.  Ruf is pure garbage ... as is McCann.  

I'd love to see both Alvarez and Baty become full-time players.  But that goes back to DH ... if Alvarez is catching every day, they will definitely need a DH.

If they can somehow swing Rodon AND get Walker and/or Bassitt back, then that gives some flexibility for the bullpen with Megill and/or Peterson, if need be.

Max Scherzer

Justin Verlander

Carlos Rodon

Carlos Carrasco

Chris Bassitt/Taijuan Walker

David Peterson

Tylor Megill

I could live with that.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Numbers 1-3 are absolutely huge concerns.  I also agree that the kid wanting a trade out of Pittsburgh is a better (MUCH better) fit than Benitendi.  I know he was cheap, but I kind of did a double-take when they re-signed Vogelbach.  Ruf is pure garbage ... as is McCann.  

I'd love to see both Alvarez and Baty become full-time players.  But that goes back to DH ... if Alvarez is catching every day, they will definitely need a DH.

If they can somehow swing Rodon AND get Walker and/or Bassitt back, then that gives some flexibility for the bullpen with Megill and/or Peterson, if need be.

Max Scherzer

Justin Verlander

Carlos Rodon

Carlos Carrasco

David Peterson

Tylor Megill

I could live with that.

My guess is they won't be able to get both Rodon and Bassitt, but that would be great. Although we'll see how Bassitt reacts to the pitch clock - Canha too.

I expect Baty to be given every chance to win the 3B job - but unlike catcher the backup plan there is fine if he needs more time.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

@ExWNYer @Gugny

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

Max Scherzer

Justin Verlander

Carlos Rodon

Carlos Carrasco

David Peterson

Tylor Megill

I could live with that.

OF Bryan Reynolds. Good young player with a few years of control left so he would not come cheaply and there are reportedly no shortage of suitors. He has a low salary with controllable years so the Pirates will not deal him unless they get several really good prospects in return. He's not in a walk year so they don't have to just take what they can get. If somebody wants him, they are going to have to make it more than worth Pittsburgh's while.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

@Gugny @ExWNYer @Another Fan

Not sure if this has any legs but Buster Olney speculating that Rangers/DeGrom might be interested in a trade for McCann:

https://www.si.com/mlb/mets/news/new-york-mets-texas-rangers-could-become-trade-partners-for-james-mccann

I'd trade McCann for a fitted Rangers hat signed by Jake.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

@Gugny @ExWNYer @Another Fan

Not sure if this has any legs but Buster Olney speculating that Rangers/DeGrom might be interested in a trade for McCann:

https://www.si.com/mlb/mets/news/new-york-mets-texas-rangers-could-become-trade-partners-for-james-mccann

31 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'd trade McCann for a fitted Rangers hat signed by Jake.

Be still my beating heart. Please make it so. That would be a sweet parting gift from Jake.

@Another Fan

Like him or hate him, another starter has been inked, fellas. Mets get the lefty, Quintana, on a 2-year, $26 million deal. Pitchers are starting to ink deals left and right. Not happy that Walker chose to go to Philly but whatever. The Judge overpayment by the Skanks may finally open the spending floodgates.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/35203380/sources-mets-fill-rotation-need-lefty-jose-quintana

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, ExWNYer said:

Be still my beating heart. Please make it so. That would be a sweet parting gift from Jake.

@Another Fan

Like him or hate him, another starter has been inked, fellas. Mets get the lefty, Quintana, on a 2-year, $26 million deal. Pitchers are starting to ink deals left and right. Not happy that Walker chose to go to Philly but whatever. The Judge overpayment by the Skanks may finally open the spending floodgates.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/35203380/sources-mets-fill-rotation-need-lefty-jose-quintana

I'm fine with the Quintana signing.  Don't hate it; not in love with it.

Philly loves taking our pitchers, eh?  Eff them.

All eyes on Eppler.  Should get very interesting, very soon.

18 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Seems that way. I feel about Quintana the way I did Walker. Like him okay, not 'over the moon' happy. I guess that's the feeling you get with a middle or back end of the rotation guy. You just hope they stay healthy and can give you some quality starts. FYI, I was not happy that they let Wheeler walk a few years ago and thought he should have been retained. I stand by that still. He wasn't super expensive and wanted to stay with the Mets but the penny-pinching crooks who are the Coupon family had other ideas. Glad those sh*theads are in the rearview mirror.

7 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

Seems that way. I feel about Quintana the way I did Walker. Like him okay, not 'over the moon' happy. I guess that's the feeling you get with a middle or back end of the rotation guy. You just hope they stay healthy and can give you some quality starts. FYI, I was not happy that they let Wheeler walk a few years ago and thought he should have been retained. I stand by that still. He wasn't super expensive and wanted to stay with the Mets but the penny-pinching crooks who are the Coupon family had other ideas. Glad those sh*theads are in the rearview mirror.

I actually thought Philly paid too much for Wheeler ( 5 year / $118,000,000), but he had a decent 2022.  He's another one who can't seem to stay healthy.

I wonder what kind of money Syndergaard is gonna get.

31 minutes ago, Gugny said:

6 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

I don't know enough about Quintana to have a strong opinion. But I do like 2 his year deal over the 4 years Walker got.

BTW - did you see that Kenley Jansen signed with the Red Sox? Any idea if the Braves have a plan to replace him? 

35 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I don't know enough about Quintana to have a strong opinion. But I do like 2 his year deal over the 4 years Walker got.

BTW - did you see that Kenley Jansen signed with the Red Sox? Any idea if the Braves have a plan to replace him? 

That's a nice pickup for the Red Sox and nice to have him out of the NL East.  Braves have Raisel Iglesias, so I think they're all set at closer.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I actually thought Philly paid too much for Wheeler ( 5 year / $118,000,000), but he had a decent 2022.  He's another one who can't seem to stay healthy.

I wonder what kind of money Syndergaard is gonna get.

Everything I've heard so far is that interest in Syndergaard around MLB has been lukewarm. A lot of teams are apparently wary of his declining analytics. It will be interesting to see what he gets. With the shortage of arms, someone will take a chance on him. 

Like Gugs said, Atlanta will be fine. Frustratingly, they are constantly able to make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t to go with all of the elite talent they churn out non-stop. They are a model franchise, unfortunately.

• Agree 1