Mets fans?

Another Fan

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

It was fun to watch Rosario.  Bummed they couldn't finish the Yankees off.  

Wheeler had himself a night last night.  I am all-in on the Phillies.  I had no problem rooting for the Padres against the Dodgers.  But I really, really, really can't stand Machado.  I'm not a huge fan of Schwarber and/or Harper ... but they're not dirty bastards like Machado is.

I also can't stand the Astros, but I'm definitely rooting for them to take the Yankees down.

My pecking order is Padres, Astros, Phillies, Yankees. But I don't have a soft spot in my heart for any of them - it's more about who I can't stand the least.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Gugny @ExWNYer @Another Fan

Showalter wins Manager of the Year "becoming just the third person to win a fourth award and the first to win with four different franchises"

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/35035742/mets-buck-showalter-named-nl-manager-year

Off the top of my head I'm not sure who is more deserving but given what we saw from the team after the Dodgers series I would not have given it to Buck.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Showalter wins Manager of the Year "becoming just the third person to win a fourth award and the first to win with four different franchises"

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/35035742/mets-buck-showalter-named-nl-manager-year

Off the top of my head I'm not sure who is more deserving but given what we saw from the team after the Dodgers series I would not have given it to Buck.

I would have been pissed if he hadn't won.  He did a great job getting this team to triple digit wins in a season that each of his two aces missed significant time, not to mention injuries to other key players like Marte.  They played great, disciplined, fundamental baseball until the end.  Been a while since we could say that.

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

I would have been pissed if he hadn't won.  He did a great job getting this team to triple digit wins in a season that each of his two aces missed significant time, not to mention injuries to other key players like Marte.  They played great, disciplined, fundamental baseball until the end.  Been a while since we could say that.

Disagree, I don't even have to look past the NL East to find someone more deserving. Phillies manager took over a team that was left for dead under a respected manager and not only made the post season but had a deep run. I like Buck and don't want anyone else to manage the Mets but 101 wins or not I  can't overlook what happened in the last month of the season - it was more Randolph-esque than manager of the year imo.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Disagree, I don't even have to look past the NL East to find someone more deserving. Phillies manager took over a team that was left for dead under a respected manager and not only made the post season but had a deep run. I like Buck and don't want anyone else to manage the Mets but 101 wins or not I  can't overlook what happened in the last month of the season - it was more Randolph-esque than manager of the year imo.

Believe me ... the collapse didn't set well with me, either.  Normally, I'd tend to pin it on the Manager, too.  But in this case, I have a hard time doing that.  Too many injuries and key players hitting slumps.  He threw his best players out there and they didn't perform.  Add in that he had arguably the WORST DH situation in baseball with Vogelbach and Ruf ... and it's just really difficult for me to pin it on him.

The one thing I WILL say, since you mentioned Randolph, is that in hindsight - Alonso and Lindor played too many regular season games.  That was, indeed, Willie-esque.  

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Believe me ... the collapse didn't set well with me, either.  Normally, I'd tend to pin it on the Manager, too.  But in this case, I have a hard time doing that.  Too many injuries and key players hitting slumps.  He threw his best players out there and they didn't perform.  Add in that he had arguably the WORST DH situation in baseball with Vogelbach and Ruf ... and it's just really difficult for me to pin it on him.

The one thing I WILL say, since you mentioned Randolph, is that in hindsight - Alonso and Lindor played too many regular season games.  That was, indeed, Willie-esque.  

Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting all the blame on Buck, but he doesn't get a pass - you are absolutely right about Alonso and Lindor.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/15/2022 at 8:39 PM, SinceThe70s said:

@SinceThe70s @Gugny @Another Fan

Gentlemen (and Gugs...j/k),

Sorry for not responding sooner. The 15th was my 25th wedding anniversary and the Mrs. and I were in the Cayman Islands all week. We flew back Friday and were due to drive up to Jamestown to see my aunt & uncle and attend the Browns game but 'Mother Nature' had other ideas. For months, I had been lamenting that these two trips were not reversed and it turns out that I was indeed, Nostra-dumb-ass. In any event, Buck...

I have no problem that he won manager of the year, even if it felt hollow to many of us Met fans. It is, after all, a regular season award and Snitker was coming off of a World Series championship (ugh) and Roberts manages the Dodgers...the modern day George Steinbrenner Yankees...so I think Buck deserved it despite the team's meltdown over the last week of the season. The Mets were 77-85 in 2021 and Buck came in and not only led them to 101 victories...the organization's most since 1988...but he also changed the culture in that clubhouse for the better, akin to what McDermott did for the Bills. Although I did not do cartwheels over the announcement, I was happy for him and it's cool that he was the first in team history to garner the honor. At least it's a real thing and not as pathetic as this...

image.png.f7a093630920f12d115d1b978ad3e50e.png

(You are a buffoon and complete jackass, Irsay)

Regarding free agency, how do all of you feel about the possible pursuit of Verlander? Personally, I would rather take a chance on an iffy 34 year old deGrom, assuming he wants to be in NY, but I would be okay (not thrilled) with Verlander. He is a decent 'Plan B', IMO. It makes me nervous thinking about Scherzer & Verlander at the top of the rotation at their advanced ages. Given the history of the Mets, I have no doubt that one or both will be shelved at some point(s) during the season. And then they would need to be on point for a post season run (I'm looking at you and 'arm fatigue', Scherzer). What I would really love to see is Carlos Rodon in a Mets uni. A very good and much needed lefty who will just have turned 30 when the season starts. I'm also intrigued by Japanese League pitcher Kodai Senga who will also just have turned 30 at the start of this season. If nothing else, I think he could fit as a late inning bullpen guy.

Looks like Nimmo is going to have plenty of suitors since the OF market is thin outside of Judge and him. I would love to have him back but I'm not so sure it's going to happen. That said, this team also desperately needs power in the lineup to realistically have a shot at a WS title but I'm not sure where that might materialize. They are not serious players for Judge, IMO, and they can't count on Baty &/or Alvarez being world beaters out of the box (if they even make the team out of Spring Training). Atlanta & Philly have boppers up and down the lineup and the Mets do not. That should be a priority in Queens, as well. There are a ton of holes to fill on this team (no bullpen outside of Diaz) and this should be a really active off season. Here's to hoping Eppler and his cronies get it right. LFGM!!!

I hope you all have a great, happy, and safe Thanksgiving! 🦃 :beer:

BTW, I love these baseball discussions with you guys involving our beloved Mets. I haven't been posting on the main football boards much as I find a lot of the content annoying. Even when this team is winning, the trolls are out in full force. I have no problem with people criticizing or pointing out things that need correcting but the incessant negativity over every little thing is becoming more and more prevalent. Even victory Monday feels like the team has just lost. Anyway, just my two cents. To each his or her own.

Peace, friends.

Edited by ExWNYer
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

Sorry for not responding sooner. The 15th was my 25th wedding anniversary and the Mrs. and I were in the Cayman Islands all week. We flew back Friday and were due to drive up to Jamestown to see my aunt & uncle and attend the Browns game but 'Mother Nature' had other ideas. For months, I had been lamenting that these two trips were not reversed and it turns out that I was indeed, Nostra-dumb-ass. In any event, Buck...

I have no problem that he won manager of the year, even if it felt hollow to many of us Met fans. It is, after all, a regular season award and Snitker was coming off of a World Series championship (ugh) and Roberts manages the Dodgers...the modern day George Steinbrenner Yankees...so I think Buck deserved it despite the team's meltdown over the last week of the season. The Mets were 77-85 in 2021 and Buck came in and not only led them to 101 victories...the organization's most since 1988...but he also changed the culture in that clubhouse for the better, akin to what McDermott did for the Bills. Although I did not do cartwheels over the announcement, I was happy for him and it's cool that he was the first in team history to garner the honor. At least it's a real thing and not as pathetic as this...

Regarding free agency, how do all of you feel about the possible pursuit of Verlander? Personally, I would rather take a chance on an iffy 34 year old deGrom, assuming he wants to be in NY, but I would be okay (not thrilled) with Verlander. He is a decent 'Plan B', IMO. It makes me nervous thinking about Scherzer & Verlander at the top of the rotation at their advanced ages. Given the history of the Mets, I have no doubt that one or both will be shelved at some point(s) during the season. And then they would need to be on point for a post season run (I'm looking at you and 'arm fatigue', Scherzer). What I would really love to see is Carlos Rodon in a Mets uni. A very good and much needed lefty who will just have turned 30 when the season starts. I'm also intrigued by Japanese League pitcher Kodai Senga who will also just have turned 30 at the start of this season. If nothing else, I think he could fit as a late inning bullpen guy.

Looks like Nimmo is going to have plenty of suitors since the OF market is thin outside of Judge and him. I would love to have him back but I'm not so sure it's going to happen. That said, this team also desperately needs power in the lineup to realistically have a shot at a WS title but I'm not sure where that might materialize. They are not serious players for Judge, IMO, and they can't count on Baty &/or Alvarez being world beaters out of the box (if they even make the team out of Spring Training). Atlanta & Philly have boppers up and down the lineup and the Mets do not. That should be a priority in Queens, as well. There are a ton of holes to fill on this team (no bullpen outside of Diaz) and this should be a really active off season. Here's to hoping Eppler and his cronies get it right. LFGM!!!

BTW, I love these baseball discussions with you guys involving our beloved Mets. I haven't been posting on the main football boards much as I find a lot of the content annoying. Even when this team is winning, the trolls are out in full force. I have no problem with people criticizing or pointing out things that need correcting but the incessant negativity over every little thing is becoming more and more prevalent. Even victory Monday feels like the team has just lost. Anyway, just my two cents. To each his or her own.

Peace, friends.

So much to comment on here, I'll hit on a few:

Congrats to you and your wife, hope you both had a great time in the Caymans!

I'd prefer Jake over Verlander mostly cuz he's home grown. But going into next season with Max and either Jake or Verlander presents the same well-founded concerns we had going into last year. My bigger concern about Jake is that he signs with someone like the Braves or Yankees. If it's not the Mets just sign with the Rangers and fade off into oblivion. 

100% agreed on Rodon.  

Have a happy thanksgiving!

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

So much to comment on here, I'll hit on a few:

Congrats to you and your wife, hope you both had a great time in the Caymans!

I'd prefer Jake over Verlander mostly cuz he's home grown. But going into next season with Max and either Jake or Verlander presents the same well-founded concerns we had going into last year. My bigger concern about Jake is that he signs with someone like the Braves or Yankees. If it's not the Mets just sign with the Rangers and fade off into oblivion. 

100% agreed on Rodon.  

Have a happy thanksgiving!

Thanks so much. We loved the Caymans. Had never been but would definitely go back. I agree with everything you said. I want deGrom to stay but, if he leaves, I want it to be out of the NL entirely. The Rangers, as rumored, would be fine. Anyone in the AL but the Skanks would be fine. Whatever happens, I want a sustained winner and a fun club to root for every year. Happy Thanksgiving. 

33 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

Thanks so much. We loved the Caymans. Had never been but would definitely go back. I agree with everything you said. I want deGrom to stay but, if he leaves, I want it to be out of the NL entirely. The Rangers, as rumored, would be fine. Anyone in the AL but the Skanks would be fine. Whatever happens, I want a sustained winner and a fun club to root for every year. Happy Thanksgiving. 

I feel like I have that with the Bills!  Have had that with my hockey team (Islanders) the past few years as well and with Cohen around I feel good the Mets are headed in that direction. Good times! (but I still want a championship from someone)

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I feel like I have that with the Bills!  Have had that with my hockey team (Islanders) the past few years as well and with Cohen around I feel good the Mets are headed in that direction. Good times! (but I still want a championship from someone)

The bolded for sure. The Bills would be choice number one for me but I need a title from one of my faves. I'm also a long-suffering Sabres fan. Since their inception 1970, my teams are 0-2 in Stanley Cups, 0-4 in Super Bowls, and 1-3 in World Series. 1-9 in fifty plus years of fandom is beyond cruel. Throw in the fact that my NBA team was stolen as a kid (Buffalo Braves) and it's been a brutal run. I must have been a real POS in a former life <sigh>

On 11/22/2022 at 12:06 PM, ExWNYer said:

Peace, friends.

You pretty much said it all.

Only thing I would stress is if they go after high priced free agents make sure they can handle the playoffs.  I mean to me Scherzer was an epic fail and that’s inexcusable when you pay someone over 40 million a year.

More of high priced flops like that the Mets will really be the joke of the league.   I mean just throwing it out there 

• Thank you (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

DeGrom's gone! I have mixed emotions on this one. Just felt like he didn't want to be here even though I wanted him back. He had a chance to cement a legacy next to Seaver and that's a big disappointment for me. At the same time, if he signed a 5 year deal with the Mets I would have been terrified. 

In the end I'm fine with this since he went to a team that idgaf about. Dodgers, Braves or Yankees would have been horrific.

Now as @ExWNYer suggested - go get Rodon. 

• Shocked 1

4 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

DeGrom's gone! I have mixed emotions on this one. Just felt like he didn't want to be here even though I wanted him back. He had a chance to cement a legacy next to Seaver and that's a big disappointment for me. At the same time, if he signed a 5 year deal with the Mets I would have been terrified. 

In the end I'm fine with this since he went to a team that idgaf about. Dodgers, Braves or Yankees would have been horrific.

Now as @ExWNYer suggested - go get Rodon. 

My reaction when I heard the news was, "F*CK!"  But that is all sentimental.  He grew up a Met and has earned a first ballot induction into the HOF.  He's been nothing but a pure professional during his entire career and I've enjoyed every day of his tenure.

But it's a business and the Mets letting someone else overpay him was the right thing to do.  

It's his last big contract and I don't begrudge him one bit.  I'm glad he's in the AL and I hope he kicks ass.

But with Scherzer in the rotation, it's time to get younger around him.  It'll be a win-win for the Mets and for Jake.

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

My reaction when I heard the news was, "F*CK!"  But that is all sentimental.  He grew up a Met and has earned a first ballot induction into the HOF.  He's been nothing but a pure professional during his entire career and I've enjoyed every day of his tenure.

But it's a business and the Mets letting someone else overpay him was the right thing to do.  

It's his last big contract and I don't begrudge him one bit.  I'm glad he's in the AL and I hope he kicks ass.

But with Scherzer in the rotation, it's time to get younger around him.  It'll be a win-win for the Mets and for Jake.

The only thing I can refute here is that I saw one report saying the Mets weren't given a chance to match. If true he just wanted out of NY - which is his prerogative. Over the summer Cohen made a comment that if Jake left  it wouldn't be due to money - maybe he knew then that Jake was a goner.

Oh well, onward and  upward.

2 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

The only thing I can refute here is that I saw one report saying the Mets weren't given a chance to match. If true he just wanted out of NY - which is his prerogative. Over the summer Cohen made a comment that if Jake left  it wouldn't be due to money - maybe he knew then that Jake was a goner.

Oh well, onward and  upward.

Yeah not familiar at all with Texas Rangers baseball and looked them up.  They were 68-94 last season, not exactly setting the league on fire.

My point is yeah parts of me wonder now if he didn't really like playing for the Mets/New York or what not.  Maybe he wouldn't have gotten that much money from the Mets but he's still playing on a team now that will likely be in contention or at least for an owner that seems to want to win.  It's like when Strawberry was telling Judge to re-sign with the Yankees....  all other cities even LA or pretty boring to play in next to New York.

Honestly, it reminds me of Mike Hampton signing with the Rockies a little.

But he was a great pitcher here and one of the few Mets down the stretch last year I was satisfied with.  I'm just a little perplexed what he was thinking.

Whatever

6 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Yeah not familiar at all with Texas Rangers baseball and looked them up.  They were 68-94 last season, not exactly setting the league on fire.

My point is yeah parts of me wonder now if he didn't really like playing for the Mets/New York or what not.  Maybe he wouldn't have gotten that much money from the Mets but he's still playing on a team now that will likely be in contention or at least for an owner that seems to want to win.  It's like when Strawberry was telling Judge to re-sign with the Yankees....  all other cities even LA or pretty boring to play in next to New York.

Honestly, it reminds me of Mike Hampton signing with the Rockies a little.

But he was a great pitcher here and one of the few Mets down the stretch last year I was satisfied with.  I'm just a little perplexed what he was thinking.

Whatever

@Gugny @SinceThe70s

Regarding the bolded:

1) He's a southern guy and I don't think he was very enamored with the bright lights of NYC and the enormous media presence.

2) No state income taxes.

3) Supposedly wanted a place with lots of land to raise his kids (see #1 above).

4) Nobody else was likely giving him 4 years let alone the 5 years he got.

All that said, I was surprised that he accepted an annual AAV of $37 million ($185 million for 5 years). Speculation was that he wanted Scherzer-type money. I'd be willing to bet that the Mets would have given him 2 years at slightly more than Scherzer but I guess we'll never know. My first reaction when I saw the numbers was, "That's all he got?" and was pretty indifferent about him leaving which surprised me. I was like "Oh, well" and matter-of-factly told my younger son (also a diehard Met fan), "deGrom just signed with Texas". He pretty much had the same reaction as me. I think we were both kind of expecting it and had he been healthy this whole time, it would have been much more devastating like losing Seaver. I wish him well and am glad he's with a team that is 'out of sight, out of mind'. He may stay healthy and slay it with the Rangers but that's how it goes. I'm tired of watching seemingly every high dollar Met signing turn out to be a tire fire. Time to turn the page and, honestly, when I heard that he never even gave the Mets a chance to match, I knew it was good that he left because his heart was obviously not in NY. Unhappy, oft-injured, and highly paid is a recipe for disaster. Sucks to lose a homegrown lifer but that's the impersonal, business side of sports. Get to work on this Swiss cheese lineup, Eppler.

FYI, I don't know much about the Texas Rangers either but I do have one semi-connection. I personally know the #25 prospect in their organization, RHP Zak Kent. I haven't seen him since he was a kid in high school but used to see him at family events. I did see him pitch once in Richmond against my alma mater, VCU, when he was at VMI (Virginia Military Institute). He is my wife's brother's nephew (by marriage). Connection = My wife > my wife's brother > his wife > his wife's sister's son. Confused yet? Convoluted, I know. lol 

image.thumb.png.ada49dc7f558a735a578ce40fca004da.png

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/rangers/

• Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

@Gugny @SinceThe70s

Regarding the bolded:

1) He's a southern guy and I don't think he was very enamored with the bright lights of NYC and the enormous media presence.

2) No state income taxes.

3) Supposedly wanted a place with lots of land to raise his kids (see #1 above).

4) Nobody else was likely giving him 4 years let alone the 5 years he got.

All that said, I was surprised that he accepted an annual AAV of $37 million ($185 million for 5 years). Speculation was that he wanted Scherzer-type money. I'd be willing to bet that the Mets would have given him 2 years at slightly more than Scherzer but I guess we'll never know. My first reaction when I saw the numbers was, "That's all he got?" and was pretty indifferent about him leaving which surprised me. I was like "Oh, well" and matter-of-factly told my younger son (also a diehard Met fan), "deGrom just signed with Texas". He pretty much had the same reaction as me. I think we were both kind of expecting it and had he been healthy this whole time, it would have been much more devastating like losing Seaver. I wish him well and am glad he's with a team that is 'out of sight, out of mind'. He may stay healthy and slay it with the Rangers but that's how it goes. I'm tired of watching seemingly every high dollar Met signing turn out to be a tire fire. Time to turn the page and, honestly, when I heard that he never even gave the Mets a chance to match, I knew it was good that he left because his heart was obviously not in NY. Unhappy, oft-injured, and highly paid is a recipe for disaster. Sucks to lose a homegrown lifer but that's the impersonal, business side of sports. Get to work on this Swiss cheese lineup, Eppler.

FYI, I don't know much about the Texas Rangers either but I do have one semi-connection. I personally know the #25 prospect in their organization, RHP Zak Kent. I haven't seen him since he was a kid in high school but used to see him at family events. I did see him pitch once in Richmond against my alma mater, VCU, when he was at VMI (Virginia Military Institute). He is my wife's brother's nephew (by marriage). Connection = My wife > my wife's brother > his wife > his wife's sister's son. Confused yet? Convoluted, I know. lol 

image.thumb.png.ada49dc7f558a735a578ce40fca004da.png

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/rangers/

From what I understand, the income tax piece brings it very close to Scherzer money. 

Consecutive injury-shortened seasons also likely played a role in less money, too. 

Five years is insane. What the Rangers did is exactly what I didn’t want the Mets to do. I love Jake, but my main concern has not just been “injuries,” but the fact that it seemed like every injury was different. 

I’ve always thought that his build could never support him throwing 100+ MPH for any sustained period of time. 

When he’s healthy, he’s nearly unhittable. But the fact of the matter is that he’s only healthy for 50% of the season. 

I do agree that he likely wanted out of New York (city, not team), but this was a pure money move in the end, and I don’t begrudge him for that. It’s a business. 

It’s a shame, but I get it. Mets will be a better team for this. Rangers will, too, but how much?  If - in all of 2023 - the Rangers win more than a dozen of his starts, I will be shocked. 

Cohen did the right thing by doing nothing. 

• Like (+1) 1