Mets fans?

Another Fan

On 9/30/2022 at 9:26 PM, ExWNYer said:

Another disappointing outing by deGrom down the stretch. The rate at which he is allowing HRs all of a sudden is alarming. He needs to be better but, that said, he still allowed only 3 runs and the game was there for the taking. Unfortunately, the limp-d*cked offense was on full display once again and Escobar is the only one with a pulse right now.

Scherzer had better find a way to shut down Atlanta and get the 'W' on Saturday or the annual Met choke job will be in its final stages. <sigh> 

On 10/3/2022 at 12:00 PM, Another Fan said:

It shows you how much I’ve paid attention to the playoffs in baseball the last few years.  Is this new three wild card teams?  I just thought it was Mets vs padres and whoever wins moves on 

On 10/3/2022 at 12:46 PM, SinceThe70s said:

Completely different format this year, 12 teams make the playoffs, 4 teams get byes for the wild card round. 3 game wild card round next weekend - lower seeds won't get a home game. Then a 5 game round, a 7 game round and the 7 game World Series. Due to the lock-out there are a lot less off days this post-season so  pitching depth will get tested more.

Hey, fellas.  Just quoting you so you get a notification.  I forget to check here for days at a time.

In all likelihood, it looks like the Braves are taking the division.  

That said, it looks like the Wild Card games will be scheduled Friday through Sunday at Citi Field.  We're either playing the Padres or the Phillies.  All three teams (Mets, Padres and Phillies) have not been lighting the world on fire recently.  

But we'll have Max and Jake.  I said recently that I'm concerned about deGrom and after that last outing, I'll double down on that.  And holy sh!t, was Bassitt horrible the other night.

Cookie and Walker in the double-dip today.

#LFGM

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Hey, fellas.  Just quoting you so you get a notification.  I forget to check here for days at a time.

That said, it looks like the Wild Card games will be scheduled Friday through Sunday at Citi Field.  We're either playing the Padres or the Phillies.  All three teams (Mets, Padres and Phillies) have not been lighting the world on fire recently.  

But we'll have Max and Jake.  I said recently that I'm concerned about deGrom and after that last outing, I'll double down on that.  And holy sh!t, was Bassitt horrible the other night.

#LFGM

After that horrid weekend the Braves got shut out by the Marlins last night - more salt in the wound thinking of what could have been. Mets have not been right since the Dodgers series. I remember thinking that steam-rolling through a soft September schedule would be a detriment once we played stronger playoff teams. 

Weather down here still sucks, wouldn't want to have to play two today. But I'll still hold out hope for a sweep of the Nats and a sweep by the Marlins - even though I don't believe for one second that either will happen.  

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

After that horrid weekend the Braves got shut out by the Marlins last night - more salt in the wound thinking of what could have been. Mets have not been right since the Dodgers series. I remember thinking that steam-rolling through a soft September schedule would be a detriment once we played stronger playoff teams. 

Weather down here still sucks, wouldn't want to have to play two today. But I'll still hold out hope for a sweep of the Nats and a sweep by the Marlins - even though I don't believe for one second that either will happen.  

I was just looking at the weather in Flushing.  Looks like it's supposed to rain all night.  So now we're looking at 2 tomorrow and another game on Thursday with no days off before the Wild Card.  Lovely.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

I was just looking at the weather in Flushing.  Looks like it's supposed to rain all night.  So now we're looking at 2 tomorrow and another game on Thursday with no days off before the Wild Card.  Lovely.

If the Braves win tonight the three against the Nats would be meaningless - I wonder if MLB would consider cancelling a game instead of moving it to Thursday.

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

#LFGM

@SinceThe70s @Another Fan

Faint division hopes still alive for a couple of hours at least, boys. Mets just beat the Natalies in Game 1 of their doubleheader, 4-2. Atlanta is currently up on the Marlins at the time of this post, 1-0 in the 4th. They would still control their own destiny had they won just one game this past weekend.

1 hour ago, ExWNYer said:

@SinceThe70s @Another Fan

Faint division hopes still alive for a couple of hours at least, boys. Mets just beat the Natalies in Game 1 of their doubleheader, 4-2. Atlanta is currently up on the Marlins at the time of this post, 1-0 in the 4th. They would still control their own destiny had they won just one game this past weekend.

Didn't seem like too much to expect one win this past weekend with the top 3 starting. Mets got swept in a 3 game series twice this year, this past weekend and at home against the Cubs. 

Question that I've posed to friends: if the Mets sweep today and the Braves lose, would you start DeGrom tomorrow? What if you knew Alcantara was  (or wasn't) starting for the Marlins? As far as I know that's still up in the air.

EDIT: for the record I'd hold DeGrom out tomorrow

Edited by SinceThe70s

36 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Didn't seem like too much to expect one win this past weekend with the top 3 starting. Mets got swept in a 3 game series twice this year, this past weekend and at home against the Cubs. 

Question that I've posed to friends: if the Mets sweep today and the Braves lose, would you start DeGrom tomorrow? What if you knew Alcantara was  (or wasn't) starting for the Marlins? As far as I know that's still up in the air.

I agree. This weekend was gut-wrenching and abysmal but so Metsian. The Mets just had their biggest 1st inning of the year in Game 2 with a seven spot and lead Washington, 7-0, in the 2nd. Unfortunately, it won't mean anything except a rare 100 win season if the Marlins don't rally (down 2-1 in the Top of the 7th).

If the Braves do lose, I would absolutely start deGrom tomorrow. The #2 Seed is a huge advantage over the WC. My understanding is that the Marlins had shut down Alcantara for the season and Atlanta would not have to face him. If the Braves win tonight, I would start Alvarez behind the plate tomorrow and play Vientos in the field to see if either or both can play and help there in the playoffs. BTW, if I never see James McCann't ever again, it will be too soon.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

I agree. This weekend was gut-wrenching and abysmal but so Metsian. The Mets just had their biggest 1st inning of the year in Game 2 with a seven spot and lead Washington, 7-0, in the 2nd. Unfortunately, it won't mean anything except a rare 100 win season if the Marlins don't rally (down 2-1 in the Top of the 7th).

If the Braves do lose, I would absolutely start deGrom tomorrow. The #2 Seed is a huge advantage over the WC. My understanding is that the Marlins had shut down Alcantara for the season and Atlanta would not have to face him. If the Braves win tonight, I would start Alvarez behind the plate tomorrow and play Vientos in the field to see if either or both can play and help there in the playoffs. BTW, if I never see James McCann't ever again, it will be too soon.

Interesting that you'd go with DeGrom - he could throw 0's for 9 but if the Braves win would be unavailable for the Wild Card. 

Mets effed up with Alvarez - should have called him up a week earlier and gotten DH at bats. Bringing him up to be the savior against the Braves was a desperation move.  But for sure McCann has been a train wreck.

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Interesting that you'd go with DeGrom - he could throw 0's for 9 but if the Braves win would be unavailable for the Wild Card. 

Mets effed up with Alvarez - should have called him up a week earlier and gotten DH at bats. Bringing him up to be the savior against the Braves was a desperation move.  But for sure McCann has been a train wreck.

It's looking like the decision will not have to be made. It's going to be a moot point if the Marlins don't come back. They're down, 2-1, heading to the bottom of the ninth in Miami. But if tomorrow meant something for the Mets, yeah, I'd take my chances and throw deGrom.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

It's looking like the decision will not have to be made. It's going to be a moot point if the Marlins don't come back. They're down, 2-1, heading to the bottom of the ninth in Miami. But if tomorrow meant something for the Mets, yeah, I'd take my chances and throw deGrom.

Yup, it's a doe deal.  I'd find a spot in the lineup that will get Alvarez two at bats tonight pronto. 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

It's over, the game (Marlins lost, 2-1) and the division. Mets are officially a Wild Card and deGrom gets to rest tomorrow. Could be ugly if they face the Padres. They have been unable to solve the riddle that is Yu Darvish.

1 minute ago, Another Fan said:

Older I get I take more of a what's done is done approach to life.  But damn couldn't just get 1 W this weekend!

Ah well, moving on the Phillies woulda been the better match up imo than SD but team should be ready for the weekend at least.

It's still all about Jake and Max to me. They need to be dominant this weekend - and stay that way until the off season.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

Odds and ends:

1) Hard to believe that tonight was the first time ever in team history that the Mets hit back-to back-to back HRs to start the 1st inning

2) The Philthies are being no hit thru 8. 🤣

...and just now another productive extra base hit by Alvarez. 

3 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

...and just now another productive extra base hit by Alvarez. 

It was an absolute frozen rope! The kid has power, if he can get it going.

The Philthies managed to get 3 hits in the 9th to break up the combined Houston 'no-no' but still got shutout. We're locked in now against San Diego for three at Citi Field. LGM!!!

9 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

It was an absolute frozen rope! The kid has power, if he can get it going.

The Philthies managed to get 3 hits in the 9th to break up the combined Houston 'no-no' but still got shutout. We're locked in now against San Diego for three at Citi Field. LGM!!!

Hoping we get scheduled for night games against the Padres. Already have a weekend family trip planned that will make any game that starts earlier than 7 tough/unlikely to watch. Hopefully they schedule 8-8:30 starts to appease the Padre fans.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Hoping we get scheduled for night games against the Padres. Already have a weekend family trip planned that will make any game that starts earlier than 7 tough/unlikely to watch. Hopefully they schedule 8-8:30 starts to appease the Padre fans.

I'm actually headed out to Orchard Park on Saturday morning and attending the Bills/Steelers game.  I'll be able to catch all of Friday's game, but will likely miss some of Saturday's game.  Assuming it's an evening game, I'll be able to catch most of it in the hotel.  We always hit the Bar Bill in the early evening, so by the time I get back to the hotel, the game will probably be about half over.  But I'll be keeping tabs on my phone.

• Like (+1) 1