Mets fans?

Another Fan

If any of you are near the Syracuse area, Jacob deGrom is scheduled to make a rehab start for the S-Mets this Thursday, provided that his bullpen session tomorrow goes off without any problems.

Lindor played 125 games last season and had 63 RBI.  In 89 games this season, so far, he's already got 65 RBI.  BEAUTIFUL!

Double dip in Chi Town tomorrow.  Pete should have at least 8 plate appearances to knock in RBI number 75, which will break the Mets record for most RBI before the All-Star break (currently held by David Wright.

Jake should be back by the end of the month.  Cookie, Max, Walker, Peterson and Bassitt have been fantastic.

Edwin Diaz should get his 20th save of the season before the break.  He had 32 total in 2021.

Winning that series against ATL was huge.  Obviously no hangover, after a nice 8-0 win vs. CHI.  Just keep winnin' series, boys!!

#LFGM

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Always nice to beat our cross-town rivals. What stuck out for me was the bullpen.

Diaz was outstanding - especially after botching the Judge come-backer.  That had all the makings of a melt-down.

Another positive for me was Lugo. If he can get back to what he was we could finally have a 1-2 punch to close out games.

As for Petersen, the 4 pitch walk to Rizzo was more disappointing than the HR to me. Nice bounce-back strikeout - let's hope he can (and has to) transition to the lefty reliever role for the rest of the year.

On 4/1/2017 at 3:54 PM, Another Fan said:

It was one of the last posts I had on BBMB. Grew up rooting for the Mets. Wanted to see who fellow Bills fans pulled in terms of baseball. Know the Jays are close but are aware of the Sabres/Leafs rivalry.

My major league team I follow is the New York Yankees and I follow the Buffalo Bisons hardcore never miss a game daily on MILB television streaming in my opinion. Go Bills! Go Bisons! Go Yankees! Let’s Go Buffalo 

@Gugny @Another Fan @ExWNYer

Thoughts on the trade deadline? Looks to me like they are banking on help coming off the DL. I'm surprised they didn't bring in a lefty reliever.

I thought David Robertson was a good target, but they probably expect Trevor May to fill that gap. Plus I thought we finally saw the Lugo of the past few years against the Yankees. 

I also thought Wilson Conteras was a fit as a rental, but maybe the price was too high.

As for the deals they made. Naquin > Janikowski (marginal improvement), Vogelbach > Dom (although not long term) and for me the Ruf trade is a head scratcher - is he really that much better than J.D.?  

Bottom line: Mets chances of a deep run is and always was predicated on Jake and Max. If they get/stay healthy and pitch to form we can beat anybody. Especially if Diaz continues to dominate (although the Mets/Bills fan in me is fearful of the meltdown).

3 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Thoughts on the trade deadline? Looks to me like they are banking on help coming off the DL. I'm surprised they didn't bring in a lefty reliever.

I thought David Robertson was a good target, but they probably expect Trevor May to fill that gap. Plus I thought we finally saw the Lugo of the past few years against the Yankees. 

I also thought Wilson Conteras was a fit as a rental, but maybe the price was too high.

As for the deals they made. Naquin > Janikowski (marginal improvement), Vogelbach > Dom (although not long term) and for me the Ruf trade is a head scratcher - is he really that much better than J.D.?  

Bottom line: Mets chances of a deep run is and always was predicated on Jake and Max. If they get/stay healthy and pitch to form we can beat anybody. Especially if Diaz continues to dominate (although the Mets/Bills fan in me is fearful of the meltdown).

I agree that they are banking on getting healthy.  I also agree that it would have been great to get another lefty reliever.

But I do like the Vogelbach/Ruf/Naquin moves.  A lot of versatility and power off the bench and, as much as I love him, I think JD Davis is just not that good.  He has had a LOT of chances to prove himself and he did not do it.

I think Diaz is the most dominant closer in the league right now.  Back to his form from his last season with Seattle.  I don't see that changing.

If Max and Jake are both healthy, I think the Mets are the best team in baseball.  As long as Cookie, Walker and Bassitt continue to pitch well, the Mets will be a tough out.

All in all, I'm happy with the moves the Mets made.  They didn't overspend and they addressed areas of need.

• Like (+1) 1

4 out of 5 from the Braves with dominant Jake and dominant Max. Braves struck out 19 times today! Throw in a great play by Guillorme, a suicide squeeze by Nido, a relentless offense and Diaz continued dominance and all-in-all it was a great weekend.

Good times!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 8/7/2022 at 11:28 PM, SinceThe70s said:

4 out of 5 from the Braves with dominant Jake and dominant Max. Braves struck out 19 times today! Throw in a great play by Guillorme, a suicide squeeze by Nido, a relentless offense and Diaz continued dominance and all-in-all it was a great weekend.

Good times!

Everything is clicking on all cylinders.  Hopefully, Taiwan can keep things rolling tonight.  Mets are facing another Reds starter making his first start this season.  Beating up on struggling teams is exactly what the Mets should be doing ... and they are.

The Braves series was fantastic.  I honestly would have been fine with winning 2/5.  Winning 4 was insane.

Phillies are red hot.  The next week and a half is full of Braves and Phillies.  This is where we can separate ourselves.  As hot as Atlanta and Philly have been, I'd be perfectly fine splitting both series.  Winning both of them would be icing on a delicious cake.

I love that Buck is stretching the starters.  Love to see guys throwing 7 complete innings and coming out for the 8th.  LOVE IT.  He's doing a fantastic job and we're lucky to have him.

#LFGM !!!

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Everything is clicking on all cylinders.  Hopefully, Taiwan can keep things rolling tonight.  Mets are facing another Reds starter making his first start this season.  Beating up on struggling teams is exactly what the Mets should be doing ... and they are.

The Braves series was fantastic.  I honestly would have been fine with winning 2/5.  Winning 4 was insane.

Phillies are red hot.  The next week and a half is full of Braves and Phillies.  This is where we can separate ourselves.  As hot as Atlanta and Philly have been, I'd be perfectly fine splitting both series.  Winning both of them would be icing on a delicious cake.

I love that Buck is stretching the starters.  Love to see guys throwing 7 complete innings and coming out for the 8th.  LOVE IT.  He's doing a fantastic job and we're lucky to have him.

#LFGM !!!

I would have been fine with 2/5 against the Braves but what I wanted was 3/5. Finishing them off with Jake on Sunday was a thing of beauty. My son has been checking in on a Braves forum in-game and we've been enjoying that immensely. When they went to Atlanta a few weeks ago some Braves fans had them passing us in the standings. It's about time the Mets gave that fan base a dose of humility.

This season was always about Jake and Max, it's amazing that the team has done so well largely without both. If they both stay healthy and Diaz continues his dominance this team has a legit shot at the WS.

Headed to Mets-Phillies on Friday. Would have been cool to see Thor, but happy to see Max is starting.

#LFGM !!

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

I would have been fine with 2/5 against the Braves but what I wanted was 3/5. Finishing them off with Jake on Sunday was a thing of beauty. My son has been checking in on a Braves forum in-game and we've been enjoying that immensely. When they went to Atlanta a few weeks ago some Braves fans had them passing us in the standings. It's about time the Mets gave that fan base a dose of humility.

This season was always about Jake and Max, it's amazing that the team has done so well largely without both. If they both stay healthy and Diaz continues his dominance this team has a legit shot at the WS.

Headed to Mets-Phillies on Friday. Would have been cool to see Thor, but happy to see Max is starting.

#LFGM !!

That's awesome that you're getting to see them and even cooler that you get to see Max!

I'm not sure if I'm gonna make a game this year.  Been a very busy (good busy) summer.  

I just looked ahead at the schedule and August has quite a few games against top teams (Braves, Yankees, Dodgers).  September looks like a breeze!!  

If the Mets stay healthy, they're the best team in baseball and it's not even close.  Even if I wasn't a Mets fan, I'd say that.  Trevor May is just getting going, too (looked good last night)!!  They are absolutely dominant.  It's absolutely why the Mets were able to hold onto first place while both Max and Jake were out.  As you said ... if they stay healthy and Diaz continues to dominate ... they're a tough out for any team on any day.

25 minutes ago, Gugny said:

That's awesome that you're getting to see them and even cooler that you get to see Max!

I'm not sure if I'm gonna make a game this year.  Been a very busy (good busy) summer.  

I just looked ahead at the schedule and August has quite a few games against top teams (Braves, Yankees, Dodgers).  September looks like a breeze!!  

If the Mets stay healthy, they're the best team in baseball and it's not even close.  Even if I wasn't a Mets fan, I'd say that.  Trevor May is just getting going, too (looked good last night)!!  They are absolutely dominant.  It's absolutely why the Mets were able to hold onto first place while both Max and Jake were out.  As you said ... if they stay healthy and Diaz continues to dominate ... they're a tough out for any team on any day.

In the past hour I received the following text from my friend who is a Yankees fan: "Pains me to say, but the Mets are the team to beat across MLB".

Good times.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Have you guys seen the roster for Old Timers Day? My son was reading it off to me and what blew me away was the guys I had never heard of, all pitchers:

Craig Anderson '62-'64 (84 years old)

Steve Dillon: '63-'64 (79 years old)

Jay Hook: '62-'64 (85 years old)

Ken MacKenzie: '62-'63 (89 years old)

I have no way of knowing but assume this is Cohen's doing. Awesome!!!

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/10/2022 at 10:10 AM, SinceThe70s said:

In the past hour I received the following text from my friend who is a Yankees fan: "Pains me to say, but the Mets are the team to beat across MLB".

Good times.

Has he forgotten about the Dodgers? They are 32-5 since June 29th and the Mets are still a shade behind them, IMO. The Met pitchers match up well against Atlanta because the Braves' hitters are prone to the slider and strikeout a lot. The Dodger hitters know how to work a good pitching staff and are a tougher out. A month ago pundits and annoying Yankee fans were extolling the virtues of an "historic season". Now that NY American has cooled off a bit the Mets are suddenly "the the team to beat across MLB"? Not buying it. The Mets are white hot right now and playing as well as anyone but there is still a lot of baseball to be played. As lifelong Met fans, we know better than to take anything for granted. I feel really good about this team and am cautiously optimistic but I am still worried about anyone in the bullpen not named Edwin Diaz and the catching position is still a season-long black hole. I hope that Peterson can eventually help out as a lefty out of the pen but right now, they're keeping him at Syracuse to keep him stretched out. I'm also hoping that Megill can be added to the pen with his live arm after he gets healthy. Much like the AFC for the Bills, the NL will be a gauntlet for the Mets. If they make it to the WS, they will have truly accomplished something. The AL is more or less the Astros and Yanks and that's it. Because of their easier path, the Yanks are a better bet to make the WS than the Mets, IMO. I hope it doesn't play out that way, obviously. Let's soak it all in and enjoy the ride for as long as possible because this team is a lot of fun. #LFGM 

2 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Have you guys seen the roster for Old Timers Day? My son was reading it off to me and what blew me away was the guys I had never heard of, all pitchers:

Craig Anderson '62-'64 (84 years old)

Steve Dillon: '63-'64 (79 years old)

Jay Hook: '62-'64 (85 years old)

Ken MacKenzie: '62-'63 (89 years old)

I have no way of knowing but assume this is Cohen's doing. Awesome!!!

Honestly, they were all before my time and the only one I know by name at first glance is Jay Hook. The only reason I know his name is because I remember Met announcers saying over the years and also reading that Hook was the pitcher who recorded the first Met victory in franchise history after 9 straight losses in 1962. I agree that it's awesome that Cohen is bringing back some of the  original Mets before it's too late. This franchise has ignored it's history for far too long and it's high time that they finally embraced it.

25 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

Has he forgotten about the Dodgers? They are 32-5 since June 29th and the Mets are still a shade behind them, IMO. The Met pitchers match up well against Atlanta because the Braves' hitters are prone to the slider and strikeout a lot. The Dodger hitters know how to work a good pitching staff and are a tougher out. A month ago pundits and annoying Yankee fans were extolling the virtues of an "historic season". Now that NY American has cooled off a bit the Mets are suddenly "the the team to beat across MLB"? Not buying it. The Mets are white hot right now and playing as well as anyone but there is still a lot of baseball to be played. As lifelong Met fans, we know better than to take anything for granted. I feel really good about this team and am cautiously optimistic but I am still worried about anyone in the bullpen not named Edwin Diaz and the catching position is still a season-long black hole. I hope that Peterson can eventually help out as a lefty out of the pen but right now, they're keeping him at Syracuse to keep him stretched out. I'm also hoping that Megill can be added to the pen with his live arm after he gets healthy. Much like the AFC for the Bills, the NL will be a gauntlet for the Mets. If they make it to the WS, they will have truly accomplished something. The AL is more or less the Astros and Yanks and that's it. Because of their easier path, the Yanks are a better bet to make the WS than the Mets, IMO. I hope it doesn't play out that way, obviously. Let's soak it all in and enjoy the ride for as long as possible because this team is a lot of fun. #LFGM 

Honestly, they were all before my time and the only one I know by name at first glance is Jay Hook. The only reason I know his name is because I remember Met announcers saying over the years and also reading that Hook was the pitcher who recorded the first Met victory in franchise history after 9 straight losses in 1962. I agree that it's awesome that Cohen is bringing back some of the  original Mets before it's too late. This franchise has ignored it's history for far too long and it's high time that they finally embraced it.

Love your insight and perspective @ExWNYer - keep it coming.  But - and I hate to be this guy  - paragraphs would help. 

Agreed on the Dodgers - my Yankee bud might agree too.   Just thought it was cool to share that a (knowledable) Yankee fan put our team ahead of his.

As an aside - I find it humorous that the Yankees Are So Damn Valuable thread only gets bumped when the Yankees win or @Gugny tweaks them.

Good times!

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Love your insight and perspective @ExWNYer - keep it coming.  But - and I hate to be this guy  - paragraphs would help. 

Agreed on the Dodgers - my Yankee bud might agree too.   Just thought it was cool to share that a (knowledable) Yankee fan put our team ahead of his.

As an aside - I find it humorous that the Yankees Are So Damn Valuable thread only gets bumped when the Yankees win or @Gugny tweaks them.

Good times!

I posted after midnight. You're lucky you got anything resembling coherent. :devil:

Ingrate...

(j/k) 😇 :beer:

• Haha (+1) 1

Nice night at Citi Field in spite of the loss. If I told you Max would give up 1 run in 7 innings and Diaz would have another utterly dominant 9th you'd have to assume a win. 

Max was in and out of trouble most of the game and in the early innings was consistently behind in the count, meanwhile the Phillies pitcher seemed to be ahead in the count all game and had the Mets hitters off-balance.

What can you say about Diaz, he is utterly dominant and his entrance to the trumpets is an event. He has struck out over half the batters he's faced this year.

Another noteworthy moment was Vogelbach tagging from second to third in the 10th.

Ultimately the Phillies cut down the runner at the plate on a sac fly and we couldn't do the same. Hopefully Jake gets us back in the W column today.

LFGM!