Mets fans?

Another Fan

@SinceThe70s @Gugny @2020 Our Year For Sure

Well I mean holding steady I guess.  West Coast trips are never easy.  Only thing is now Atlanta it looks like has been ripping up the league.  The division isn't a shoo in.

When on the club Dan Murphy was my favorite Met.  Say what you want about him but I thought he played with a lot of heart.  I'm coming to like Canha though as my favorite Met now.  Chill guy, has his own personality and plays hard.  

I came across this article about him that was pretty good and sort of goes a bit to the change in culture.  While he didn't play for the Wilpon Mets Mark was familiar with the A's owners who were penny pinching as well.  Talks about it being night and day

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/18/sports/baseball/mark-canha-mets.html

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

@SinceThe70s @Gugny @2020 Our Year For Sure

Well I mean holding steady I guess.  West Coast trips are never easy.  Only thing is now Atlanta it looks like has been ripping up the league.  The division isn't a shoo in.

When on the club Dan Murphy was my favorite Met.  Say what you want about him but I thought he played with a lot of heart.  I'm coming to like Canha though as my favorite Met now.  Chill guy, has his own personality and plays hard.  

I came across this article about him that was pretty good and sort of goes a bit to the change in culture.  While he didn't play for the Wilpon Mets Mark was familiar with the A's owners who were penny pinching as well.  Talks about it being night and day

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/18/sports/baseball/mark-canha-mets.html

Canha looks like a guy that could have come up through the Cardinals system. That team has a penchant for developing players who are solid over spectacular and have long, impactful careers. In general, the Mets GM (Eppler - is it bad that I had to fact check his name?) has brought in or retained some solid positional players. Canha, Marte, Escobar, Nimmo, McNeil. Fun team to watch.

Side note #1: I'm dating myself (where is @Misterbluesky when you need him) but Canha reminds me of Joel Youngblood. Boring looking white dude, solid player. Youngblood has the distinction of hitting two HR's for two different teams in two different cities in the same day (https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/joel-youngblood-two-hits-for-two-teams-same-day-1982-mets-expos/jtp9kadw3r171hdjti066djrh)

Side note #2: my new favorite non-Met is Brandon Marsh. He crushed a HR Friday night and in his next at bat dropped a bunt towards the vacated 3rd base. 

3 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Canha looks like a guy that could have come up through the Cardinals system. That team has a penchant for developing players who are solid over spectacular and have long, impactful careers. In general, the Mets GM (Eppler - is it bad that I had to fact check his name?) has brought in or retained some solid positional players. Canha, Marte, Escobar, Nimmo, McNeil. Fun team to watch.

Side note #1: I'm dating myself (where is @Misterbluesky when you need him) but Canha reminds me of Joel Youngblood. Boring looking white dude, solid player. Youngblood has the distinction of hitting two HR's for two different teams in two different cities in the same day (https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/joel-youngblood-two-hits-for-two-teams-same-day-1982-mets-expos/jtp9kadw3r171hdjti066djrh)

Side note #2: my new favorite non-Met is Brandon Marsh. He crushed a HR Friday night and in his next at bat dropped a bunt towards the vacated 3rd base. 

Nimmo and McNeil are home grown and before Eppler's time, but I agree that he has made some sweet moves.

Canha reminds me of Paul O'Neill, back during the Yankees' dynasty.  Just comes to play hard every day!

8 hours ago, Gugny said:

Nimmo and McNeil are home grown and before Eppler's time, but I agree that he has made some sweet moves.

Canha reminds me of Paul O'Neill, back during the Yankees' dynasty.  Just comes to play hard every day!

My point on Nimmo and McNeil is that it's not just the players Eppler obtains, but also the ones he chooses to retain. 

6 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

My point on Nimmo and McNeil is that it's not just the players Eppler obtains, but also the ones he chooses to retain. 

Ahh, I see!  Agreed!

Survived the West Coast trip, going .500.  I'll take it.  Who'da thunk that the Braves could win 11 in a row, the Phillies could would 9/10 and the Mets are still leading the division by 5?  Pretty sweet.

Diaz (knock on wood) is having a nice season so far.

49 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Ahh, I see!  Agreed!

Survived the West Coast trip, going .500.  I'll take it.  Who'da thunk that the Braves could win 11 in a row, the Phillies could would 9/10 and the Mets are still leading the division by 5?  Pretty sweet.

Diaz (knock on wood) is having a nice season so far.

I missed it but I heard Diaz was lights out last night.

Mets have been pretty resilient minus their two best players. I still think this seasons success hinges on one or both coming back and being dominant.

3 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I missed it but I heard Diaz was lights out last night.

Mets have been pretty resilient minus their two best players. I still think this seasons success hinges on one or both coming back and being dominant.

I am really worried about deGrom.  The list of different injuries to his pitching arm is long.  I think his mechanics are among the best in the league, but it just doesn't seem healthy for a guy with his build to consistently throw high 90s, low 100s, and his arm is suffering.  I hope he can get AND stay healthy.

I have a lot more confidence in Scherzer coming back and kicking ass for the remainder of the season.

17 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I am really worried about deGrom.  The list of different injuries to his pitching arm is long.  I think his mechanics are among the best in the league, but it just doesn't seem healthy for a guy with his build to consistently throw high 90s, low 100s, and his arm is suffering.  I hope he can get AND stay healthy.

I have a lot more confidence in Scherzer coming back and kicking ass for the remainder of the season.

Completely agree. 

Looks like deGrom is closer to returning than Scherzer.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34093060/injured-max-scherzer-jacob-degrom-moving-closer-return-new-york-mets

"The way to describe this injury, the rehab of this, half the battle's getting back to 90% and then the second half of this battle's from 90% to 100%," Scherzer said. "With the trainers here, we've done a great job of getting back to 90%, but I'm still in a fight there to try to get to 100%. We've done good work to get to this point, but I've still got a lot in front of me."

DeGrom, a two-time Cy Young Award winner, missed the second half of last season because of a right elbow injury and hasn't pitched this year because of a stress reaction in his right scapula. The 33-year-old right-hander threw 30 pitches Tuesday in his fourth bullpen session.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Another Fan said:

It’s been rough against the Astros this year 

Here's a fun (not really) fact ... The last time the Mets beat the Astros was 09/28/14.  We won 8-3 and Big Sexy got the win.

• Like (+1) 1

They pulled one out of the fire tonight...came perilously close to dropping two out of three to the pathetic Reds but Dom & McCann ended up being the unlikeliest of heroes. Wasting that effort by Scherzer upon his return last night was criminal. This team is going to need a bat for the DH spot and a couple of arms in the pen to make a deep run. Miami comes to The Big Apple for four games before the big showdown with Atlanta. Squish the Fish!

Mets' Minors last night:

AAA (Syracuse): Nice doubleheader for Blankenhorn (2 HRs) & Vientos, rough Game 1 for AlvarezPlummer with a couple of hits across the two and a HR in Game 2.

Jankowski played RF in a Game 1 rehab stint (2-3, 2 R, HR (1), RBI, 2 BB)...can picture Buck seeing this stat line and muttering. "I think it moved..."

Game 1:

C Francisco Alvarez: 0-5, K
DH Travis Blankenhorn: 2-3, 2 R, 2 HR (11), 3 RBI, BB, K
1B Mark Vientos: 2-4, R, HR (15), RBI, K
LF Nick Plummer: 1-4, K
CF Khalil Lee: 2-4, R, 2B, HR (5), RBI, K
SS Kramer Robertson: 0-3, R
2B Gosuke Katoh: 2-3, R, HR (3), 2 RBI, BB, K
3B Deven Marrero: 1-3, R, HR (1), RBI, BB, 2 K
LHP Thomas Szapucki: 5.0 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 3 BB, 6 K, W (2-5)
RHP Yoan Lopez: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K

Game 2:

CF Terrance Gore: 0-4, 3 K
SS Tzu-Wei Lin: 0-3, BB, 2 K
1B Mark Vientos: 2-4, K
RF Travis Blankenhorn: 1-4, 2 K
C Patrick Mazeika: 0-4, K
DH Nick Plummer: 1-3, R, HR (7), RBI, K
2B Kramer Robertson: 2-3, 2 R, HR (7), RBI
3B Gosuke Katoh: 1-2, R, 2B, BB, K
LF Johneshwy Fargas: 2-3, RBI, SB (10)
LHP Rob Zastryzny: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
RHP Jose Rodriguez: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
RHP Trey Cobb: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, H (1)
RHP Michel Otanez: 0.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 0 K, L (3-1), BS (1)
RHP Eric Orze: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K

AA (Binghamton): A couple of knocks for Baty at Bingo (DH: 2-5, R, RBI)

On 7/7/2022 at 8:57 AM, ExWNYer said:

Mets' Minors last night:

AAA (Syracuse): Nice doubleheader for Blankenhorn (2 HRs) & Vientos, rough Game 1 for AlvarezPlummer with a couple of hits across the two and a HR in Game 2.

Jankowski played RF in a Game 1 rehab stint (2-3, 2 R, HR (1), RBI, 2 BB)...can picture Buck seeing this stat line and muttering. "I think it moved..."

Game 1:

C Francisco Alvarez: 0-5, K
DH Travis Blankenhorn: 2-3, 2 R, 2 HR (11), 3 RBI, BB, K
1B Mark Vientos: 2-4, R, HR (15), RBI, K
LF Nick Plummer: 1-4, K
CF Khalil Lee: 2-4, R, 2B, HR (5), RBI, K
SS Kramer Robertson: 0-3, R
2B Gosuke Katoh: 2-3, R, HR (3), 2 RBI, BB, K
3B Deven Marrero: 1-3, R, HR (1), RBI, BB, 2 K
LHP Thomas Szapucki: 5.0 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 3 BB, 6 K, W (2-5)
RHP Yoan Lopez: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K

Game 2:

CF Terrance Gore: 0-4, 3 K
SS Tzu-Wei Lin: 0-3, BB, 2 K
1B Mark Vientos: 2-4, K
RF Travis Blankenhorn: 1-4, 2 K
C Patrick Mazeika: 0-4, K
DH Nick Plummer: 1-3, R, HR (7), RBI, K
2B Kramer Robertson: 2-3, 2 R, HR (7), RBI
3B Gosuke Katoh: 1-2, R, 2B, BB, K
LF Johneshwy Fargas: 2-3, RBI, SB (10)
LHP Rob Zastryzny: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
RHP Jose Rodriguez: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
RHP Trey Cobb: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, H (1)
RHP Michel Otanez: 0.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 0 K, L (3-1), BS (1)
RHP Eric Orze: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K

AA (Binghamton): A couple of knocks for Baty at Bingo (DH: 2-5, R, RBI)

Since you seem to follow the farm system, how is it overall?  

The Reds imo are actually a scrappy team that got off to a bad start.  Marlins aaah.  

Reason I ask is the new owner doesn't seem the type to play.  Only up 2 games in the division, he's gonna spend the $$$ and perhaps trade some of the farm system as chips for more summer additions to the lineup.  

Tbh, I would have no idea if that's a good idea or not. 

@Gugny@SinceThe70s  Actually you both as well would probably know the state of the farm system more so than I.  

3 hours ago, Another Fan said:

The Reds imo are actually a scrappy team that got off to a bad start.  Marlins aaah.  

Reason I ask is the new owner doesn't seem the type to play.  Only up 2 games in the division, he's gonna spend the $$$ and perhaps trade some of the farm system as chips for more summer additions to the lineup.  

@Gugny@SinceThe70s  Actually you both as well would probably know the state of the farm system more so than I.  

I don't follow the farm system at all, I generally know the names of the top prospects but I don't follow their progress, so it was nice to see the post from  @ExWNYer

What I hope Cohen does is use his financial might in any deals instead of mortgaging the farm system. I think it's important to have a pipeline of talent to fill some of the MLB roster spots. For example, 2 of the 3 4 Met All Stars this year are home grown.

Edited by SinceThe70s
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

I don't follow the farm system at all, I generally know the names of the top prospects but I don't follow their progress, so it was nice to see the post from  @ExWNYer

What I hope Cohen does is use his financial might in any deals instead of mortgaging the farm system. I think it's important to have a pipeline of talent to fill some of the MLB roster spots. For example, 2 of the 3 4 Met All Stars this year are home grown.

I don't know a lot about our farm system.  But what I do know is that Cohen traded a top prospect in Pete Crow-Armstrong last year for Javy Baez, and that did literally nothing.  Alvarez seems to be our top prospect now and the Mets haven't had a good catcher since Piazza retired ... so I'm hoping Cohen has learned from his previous mistake.

I do agree that it's ideal to build a nice farm.  But when you have an owner with bottomless pockets like we do, and no salary cap, it's less of a concern.

I'd much prefer a healthy mix of the two.

4 hours ago, Another Fan said:

2 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Generally speaking, the system is not deep...yet. Steve Cohen has done a good job of spending not only on the big club but also of putting resources into the front office and scouting. Right now, I'd say the system is more top heavy than deep. Their top prospect is C Francisco Alvarez which is good news because the catcher position at the MLB level has been a black hole for far too long. I believe he has risen to the #2 prospect in all of baseball and has a chance to be elite, IMO. I'm still miffed that they wasted $40M on James McCann rather than signing Realmuto. 3B Brett Baty is another borderline elite prospect who can rake. He's ranked around #22 overall. He and Alvarez are hopefully going to be the long term answers at 3B and C, respectively. Mark Vientos is another really good prospect as is Ronny Mauricio. I hope they hold on to all of them but I could see Mauricio being moved in a deal for a pitcher with term since his path at SS is currently blocked by Francisco Lindor. I'm a little surprised that Vientos hasn't been called up yet given that the offense has cratered for the most part and Starling Marte is now hurt. The big club is going to need some arms for the pen and a decent bat for the DH position to sustain a pennant run. I'm hoping they can move some lower level prospects to accomplish this. Like you, I want to see the farm system grow to be a robust asset. I'm tired of seeing it gutted for rentals or guys who don't pan out. Unfortunately, big market clubs often times put more emphasis on winning immediately than nurturing and growing their prospects. The Dodgers have done a great job of building a top farm system while still spending on superstars and making astute trades without harming their farm system. That's what I want to see the Mets eventually do, sooner rather than later. Alvarez is the only 'untouchable' in my estimation but Baty is close to being that. If he is moved, it had better be for a controllable stud in a major deal.

Speaking of All-Stars, Brandon Nimmo should have been the 3rd homegrown prospect. He should have gone over Marte, IMO. He and Marte have the same wRC+but Nimmo's D in CF is more important than Marte's D in RF. 

On a personal level, I saw Nimmo and Michael Conforto both in the same game when they were playing for the AA Binghamton Mets (now the Rumble Ponies). They were here in Richmond playing the Flying Squirrels. I really liked Nimmo then. He should be priority #1 to re-sign this off-season, IMO. If they let him walk, I will NOT be happy.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1