Mets fans?

Another Fan

5 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

1391636482.jpg?quality=75&strip=all

Glad the franchise seems to be embracing it's history more these days.

Only statue I have a selfie of me with is the Rocky Balboa one years back.  Surprised they let me climb on it 😆

This one would be a good one to have some day 

7 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Glad the franchise seems to be embracing it's history more these days.

Only statue I have a selfie of me with is the Rocky Balboa one years back.  Surprised they let me climb on it 😆

This one would be a good one to have some day 

I'm taking my son to a game next week and part of the motivation is to see the statue!

• Like (+1) 1

@Gugny @Another Fan

First game of the year tonight, unfortunately a 5-2 loss. Some comments:

I had no idea Buck didn't manage until after the game. I wonder if Marte would have run if Buck was there - I thought it was an exceedingly dumb steal attempt. 

Escobar at DH/Davis at 3B was an odd choice.  

Canha looked slow in LF to me.

Props to Bassitt for gutting through 6 innings after a rough start. Looked like he was headed to an early shower.

Wilmer Flores got an opposite field hit in the first - anyone remember him ever doing that for the Mets?

Reid-Foley threw two strong innings. 

6 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

@Gugny @Another Fan

I had no idea Buck didn't manage until after the game. I wonder if Marte would have run if Buck was there - I thought it was an exceedingly dumb steal attempt. 

Props to Bassitt for gutting through 6 innings after a rough start. Looked like he was headed to an early shower.

Wilmer Flores got an opposite field hit in the first - anyone remember him ever doing that for the Mets?

You didn't mention the statue lol

How much would you say attend on a weeknight?  When I was a kid it was always weekends if my dad took me to see a game.  

14 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

You didn't mention the statue lol

How much would you say attend on a weeknight?  When I was a kid it was always weekends if my dad took me to see a game.  

The statue is great! I got the same picture you've seen a ton of times!

I try not to think about what I pay when I got to games, lol. I would definitely go to more if it wasn't so expensive. It was me, wifey and my youngest son. Freaking $30 to park! When I go with a friend who is an ex-cop he has a line on free parking. My wife used to get free tix from work once a year that came with parking so that was a big help.  Neither of those were in play last night. Dropped around $275-$300 total.  The good news was that tix were only $44 and we had really good seats for that price (section 325).  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

@Gugny @Another Fan

I didn't get to watch the game last night, but from what I read, a lot of people were surprised that he wouldn't be managing the game.  Mets - although they knew he'd be out - seemed very unprepared.

Shame that Bassitt gave up the early runs; bigger shame that the Mets' bats cooled off a little.

I love Wilmer Flores and happy that he's still playing!!!

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

@Gugny    @SinceThe70s

Give some life to the thread here.  Memorial Day is when I kinda think you can have some idea of the team and it's looking good overall.  I would say it's all ready a done deal the Mets win the division but yeah don't want to proclaim anything yet.

I just couldn't help but think this past series maybe better off the team didn't sign Joe Girardi after all.  I thought he'd fair better with the Phillies to this point.  I know years back I found it extremely annoying Brodie passed on him 

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

@Gugny    @SinceThe70s

Give some life to the thread here.  Memorial Day is when I kinda think you can have some idea of the team and it's looking good overall.  I would say it's all ready a done deal the Mets win the division but yeah don't want to proclaim anything yet.

I just couldn't help but think this past series maybe better off the team didn't sign Joe Girardi after all.  I thought he'd fair better with the Phillies to this point.  I know years back I found it extremely annoying Brodie passed on him 

Had the good fortune of going to the game last.

After watching the Phillies this past weekend I felt bad for Girardi. Good hitters but p!ss poor fielders. After Castellano hits the big 3 run HR he gets pulled for defense - only to have his spot in the lineup come up for the big at bat in the 10th.

BTW - did you see the catch Escobar made in the 10th? And then he follows it up with the game winning hit.  Nothing like the walk out of the stadium after a walk-off win. It was the first walk-off my kids had been to. Good times!

38 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

After watching the Phillies this past weekend I felt bad for Girardi. Good hitters but p!ss poor fielders. After Castellano hits the big 3 run HR he gets pulled for defense - only to have his spot in the lineup come up for the big at bat in the 10th.

BTW - did you see the catch Escobar made in the 10th? And then he follows it up with the game winning hit.  Nothing like the walk out of the stadium after a walk-off win. It was the first walk-off my kids had been to. Good times!

You know it's kinda weird.  I turned on the game Mets winning 4-1 in the 7th and just kind of figured they have this and watched Stranger Things.  It's sort of weird to actually have confidence like that in them!  Well they still won though lol.  

Yeah pretty cool about your kids.  My 1st game when I was a kid was actually 30 years ago this month.  Dave Magadan ended it in the bottom of the 9th with a walk off homer.

https://sullybaseball.wordpress.com/2018/05/09/dave-magadan-walks-off-with-a-homer-on-this-day-in-1992-sully-baseball-daily-photo-at-noon-for-may-9-2018/

Actually found a pic from that day on this blog.  I do love looking at old photos like that of the old Shea.  A couple blocks from the other stadium in town The Bronx Art Museum had a display of random photos from the city from the 70's-00s  I went too not that long ago.  My inner geekdom is coming out now 😛

3 hours ago, Another Fan said:

@Gugny    @SinceThe70s

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

I am cautiously optimistic.

On 5/30/21, we were 26-20 with a four game lead atop the division.

What's impressive this year is that we're doing it without deGrom and Scherzer.

What stands out to me the most is situational hitting.  We're making contact better than we have in years.  We're also playing better defense than we have in years.  Those two things are difference-makers and what puts teams above others.

I will give Buck Showalter a TON of credit for that.

The players are playing solid fundamental baseball and they're playing SMART.  They're also having fun (winning helps).  But they are taking a far more professional approach every day and it is visible, as are the results.

If the Mets play .500 ball the rest of the season, they will finish with 89 wins.   The sooner that becomes 100, the better I'll feel.

Keep winning series.  Keep winning after a loss.

It's nice to know that Showalter is under no pressure to rush deGrom or Scherzer back.  Plus, we will still get Megill and Reid-Foley back sometime next month ... AND McCann.

The bench has responded and Buck is pulling all the right strings.

It's been a great season so far and I would love for the Mets to be in solid control of the division a month from now.

#LFGM

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Another Fan said:

You know it's kinda weird.  I turned on the game Mets winning 4-1 in the 7th and just kind of figured they have this and watched Stranger Things.  It's sort of weird to actually have confidence like that in them!  Well they still won though lol.  

Yeah pretty cool about your kids.  My 1st game when I was a kid was actually 30 years ago this month.  Dave Magadan ended it in the bottom of the 9th with a walk off homer.

https://sullybaseball.wordpress.com/2018/05/09/dave-magadan-walks-off-with-a-homer-on-this-day-in-1992-sully-baseball-daily-photo-at-noon-for-may-9-2018/

Actually found a pic from that day on this blog.  I do love looking at old photos like that of the old Shea.  A couple blocks from the other stadium in town The Bronx Art Museum had a display of random photos from the city from the 70's-00s  I went too not that long ago.  My inner geekdom is coming out now 😛

Great pic of Shea - one look at the parking lot brought back a few pre-game memories. We also took a stroll through the Mets HOF/Museum last night. It's small but has some cool displays. A couple of head scratchers too - like Dom Smith game worn pants.

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

I am cautiously optimistic.

On 5/30/21, we were 26-20 with a four game lead atop the division.

What's impressive this year is that we're doing it without deGrom and Scherzer.

What stands out to me the most is situational hitting.  We're making contact better than we have in years.  We're also playing better defense than we have in years.  Those two things are difference-makers and what puts teams above others.

I will give Buck Showalter a TON of credit for that.

The players are playing solid fundamental baseball and they're playing SMART.  They're also having fun (winning helps).  But they are taking a far more professional approach every day and it is visible, as are the results.

If the Mets play .500 ball the rest of the season, they will finish with 89 wins.   The sooner that becomes 100, the better I'll feel.

Keep winning series.  Keep winning after a loss.

It's nice to know that Showalter is under no pressure to rush deGrom or Scherzer back.  Plus, we will still get Megill and Reid-Foley back sometime next month ... AND McCann.

The bench has responded and Buck is pulling all the right strings.

It's been a great season so far and I would love for the Mets to be in solid control of the division a month from now.

#LFGM

So much to like about the way they've been playing.

Last night they trotted out a stat to the effect that the Mets have about as many sac flys already this year as they had all of last year. 

They definitely had a strong infield last night. 

Biggest surprise to me is Guillorme is hitting the ball. I've been killing hoim the past few years and now that he is finally hitting my boys are having a lot of fun at my expense.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Another Fan said:

I had the opposite tonight. Mets gave up 3 top 1 and I shrugged my shoulders thinking it's a long game. Didn't expect to double them up by the bottom of the 2nd! Fun team to watch despite the fact that they are missing 2 of the best pitchers in baseball.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I had the opposite tonight. Mets gave up 3 top 1 and I shrugged my shoulders thinking it's a long game. Didn't expect to double them up by the bottom of the 2nd! Fun team to watch despite the fact that they are missing 2 of the best pitchers in baseball.

I think I actually got last night scores wrong it was only 3-1 they were up!  But yeah I do have confidence which is amazeballs.  

The only thing I would say to be cautious long term is I think historically Buck does very well building up teams that are well a mess.   But he eventually wares out his welcome places.  Yankees/Arizona/Baltimore for example 

2 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I think I actually got last night scores wrong it was only 3-1 they were up!  But yeah I do have confidence which is amazeballs.  

The only thing I would say to be cautious long term is I think historically Buck does very well building up teams that are well a mess.   But he eventually wares out his welcome places.  Yankees/Arizona/Baltimore for example 

Yup, pretty sure the Yanks and D'Backs both won the WS the year after he was let go. I'm not the least bit concerned about him wearing out his welcome here - he was/is the right manager at the right time for the Mets IMO.

I saw last night that Dom got sent down.  After such a nice season last year, I was hoping he could keep it going.  Although, it must be tough being a part-time player.  Hopefully he can find his groove in AAA and be ready if/when they need him to come up.

6-game winning streak.

Closest team is 11 games back.

35-17

At this point, if the Mets play .500 ball for the rest of the season, they will finish with 90 wins.

I can't remember the last time the Mets were 18 games above .500.

Hot DAMN, they are playing well.

Onto the Dodgers (4 games), then the Padres (3 games).  Top two teams in the NL West.

This will be a nice test for them.  Great time for the hot bats!

#LFGM

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/1/2022 at 2:38 PM, Gugny said:

I saw last night that Dom got sent down.  After such a nice season last year, I was hoping he could keep it going.  Although, it must be tough being a part-time player.  Hopefully he can find his groove in AAA and be ready if/when they need him to come up.

There's a side story where Dom said he would welcome playing every day for another team. I think it's a nothing burger that the local papers are making more of. than need be.  And I agree that getting AB's might help him. 

@Another Fan @Gugny

Thought you might like this Q&A with Chris Bassitt:

https://nypost.com/2022/06/04/mets-chris-bassitt-on-his-pithing-not-being-normal-dads-tough-love/

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Struck him out

And the ballgame is over!

Big win today boys

Tops in the NL

#LGM

Helluva split. Drop the first two and then win with Pedersen and Trevor Williams over Buehler and Urias.