Mets fans?

Another Fan

On 11/3/2021 at 11:29 PM, Gugny said:

Trying to put a positive spin on this, at least the team handled it properly at the time.  I'm sure teammates fight all the time.  Dozens of alpha males from different cultures and it's inevitable.  But I, too, would love to know the source of the leak.

Yeah I recall vaguely Luis Lopez and Ray Ordonez going at it years back.  I found it

http://a.espncdn.com/mlb/news/1999/0902/18807.html

When guys just had beef like that back in the day they'd have it out and it'd be the end of it.  With social media and all it's much more in your face.  Unfortunately you can't get away from it.  

On 11/3/2021 at 11:55 PM, SinceThe70s said:

Completely agree - sh!t happens and if it's handled in-house effectively who cares. At the time I thought Lindor handled it well with the rat story that was so ridiculous that it was a giant middle finger to prying eyes.

The timing with the GM getting cut loose makes sense. If so, what a douche. 

agree.  plus I believe that was before the wheels came off the team for the year.  If the team was losing then I'd think it was a bigger issue 

• Thank you (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@SinceThe70s@Gugny

Happy Belated New Years.  welcome @Albany,n.y.

Good Bills win today.  I know I know Super Bowl is on the mind but not a bad time I thought to check in here every once in a while imo.

I'm on record with saying I like picking Buck as the manager.  He built up the Yankees teams of the early 90's., knows what the NY media is, and has experience interfacing with Steinbrenner during some of his dark times.  Plus he's a manager not slave to the laptop.  Brodie never would have picked him.  Actually when I looked up his age I thought he was older.  

We will see though.  Any other Met related thoughts?  

17 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

@SinceThe70s@Gugny

Good Bills win today.  I know I know Super Bowl is on the mind but not a bad time I thought to check in here every once in a while imo.

I'm on record with saying I like picking Buck as the manager.  He built up the Yankees teams of the early 90's., knows what the NY media is, and has experience interfacing with Steinbrenner during some of his dark times.  Plus he's a manager not slave to the laptop.  Brodie never would have picked him.  Actually when I looked up his age I thought he was older.  

I love the Buck hire.  Too many times have the Mets hired rookie managers.  NY is not the place for rookie managers.  I love the GM hire.  I love the Buck hire.  No Goddamn way would he have taken the job if he was going to be a puppet like Calloway and Rojas.  We need another big bat to protect Alonso and this team is going to be killer.

LFGM!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

@SinceThe70s@Gugny

I'm more of a Yankees fan than a Mets fan, but I'm one of the few NYers who like them both & would go to both stadiums when I was a teenager growing up in Nassau County, LI & living in Suffolk County LI in the mid 1980s.  I went to opening day of the 1986 World Series when I lived down there.  I got there at noon, found a guy who sold me a ticket for around $125 shortly thereafter (I had over $300 in my pocket & was willing to go that high) and had to spend the whole afternoon hanging around the outside of Shea stadium.  

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I'm more of a Yankees fan than a Mets fan, but I'm one of the few NYers who like them both & would go to both stadiums when I was a teenager growing up in Nassau County, LI & living in Suffolk County LI in the mid 1980s.  I went to opening day of the 1986 World Series when I lived down there.  I got there at noon, found a guy who sold me a ticket for around $125 shortly thereafter (I had over $300 in my pocket & was willing to go that high) and had to spend the whole afternoon hanging around the outside of Shea stadium.  

Met fan but definitely not a Yankee hater per say.

I think this stemmed from me growing up The Mets were on SportsChannel which was a premium (had no access to watch) and the Yankees were on MSG which we had access too.  Early 90's.  I learned all the rules of the game and what not watching the Yankees.  Ironically when Buck was the manager 

On 1/9/2022 at 11:14 PM, Gugny said:

I love the Buck hire.  Too many times have the Mets hired rookie managers.  NY is not the place for rookie managers.  I love the GM hire.  I love the Buck hire.  No Goddamn way would he have taken the job if he was going to be a puppet like Calloway and Rojas.  We need another big bat to protect Alonso and this team is going to be killer.

LFGM!!!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nj.com/mets/2022/01/ex-mets-manager-bobby-valentine-could-be-returning-to-queens-report-says.html%3foutputType=amp

there’s that 

8 hours ago, Another Fan said:

I was JUST telling my girlfriend that Bobby Valentine is my favorite Mets manager of all time about 30 minutes ago!!!  This is great news.  Would love to have him back in Queens!

• Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...

@Another Fan    @Gugny

Missed the posts earlier this year. Happy New Year! 

Catching up: I love the Buck hire too. But this season will be all about the health of Jake and Scherzer. It's gonna be a boom or bust year. 

Dropped in this evening to share an article about Old Timers Day:

https://nypost.com/2022/02/08/mets-old-timers-day-roster-might-be-missing-lenny-dykstra/

"Mike Piazza announced on Twitter his intention to attend"

" The team released a preliminary list of attendees Tuesday that included 92-year-old Frank Thomas, Ron Swoboda, Jon Matlack, Felix Millan, Mookie Wilson, Howard Johnson, Bob Ojeda, Robin Ventura, Turk Wendell, Endy Chavez, Cliff Floyd and Daniel Murphy."

"The list of invitees includes Yoenis Cespedes..."

I hope Frank Thomas makes it. He's before my time, but unless I'm mistaken he was the Mets single season HR leader (I'm gonna guess 34) when I was growing up so I knew the name.

On a side note, the other night I was flipping channels and came across a replay of the 1971 All Star game. That's right around the time my love of baseball was starting to take root. First matchup I saw when I tuned in was Jim Palmer pitching to Johnny Bench.  Best part was watching with my son. Other legends included Clemente, Stargell, Frank Howard, Marichal, Brooks Robinson, Carew, Bobby Bonds (my son did a wait, what?),Torre (wait, what? moment part 2),Yaz, Brock,... Broadcasters kept mentioning Seaver but he never made it into the game. Brought back a lot of fond memories. Good times.

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

@Another Fan    @Gugny

Catching up: I love the Buck hire too. But this season will be all about the health of Jake and Scherzer. It's gonna be a boom or bust year. 

https://nypost.com/2022/02/08/mets-old-timers-day-roster-might-be-missing-lenny-dykstra/

" The team released a preliminary list of attendees Tuesday that included 92-year-old Frank Thomas, Ron Swoboda, Jon Matlack, Felix Millan, Mookie Wilson, Howard Johnson, Bob Ojeda, Robin Ventura, Turk Wendell, Endy Chavez, Cliff Floyd and Daniel Murphy."

I hope Frank Thomas makes it. He's before my time, but unless I'm mistaken he was the Mets single season HR leader (I'm gonna guess 34) when I was growing up so I knew the name.

On a side note, the other night I was flipping channels and came across a replay of the 1971 All Star game. That's right around the time my love of baseball was starting to take root. First matchup I saw when I tuned in was Jim Palmer pitching to Johnny Bench.  Best part was watching with my son. Other legends included Clemente, Stargell, Frank Howard, Marichal, Brooks Robinson, Carew, Bobby Bonds (my son did a wait, what?),Torre (wait, what? moment part 2),Yaz, Brock,... Broadcasters kept mentioning Seaver but he never made it into the game. Brought back a lot of fond memories. Good times.

Awesome stuff, man!!!  Hopefully, the players' union and MLB can get their sh!t together and we can have a great season!

21 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Awesome stuff, man!!!  Hopefully, the players' union and MLB can get their sh!t together and we can have a great season!

No doubt. I'm mostly oblivious to any ongoing negotiations - doesn't seem to be getting much media attention. I hope that means they're making progress.

23 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

No doubt. I'm mostly oblivious to any ongoing negotiations - doesn't seem to be getting much media attention. I hope that means they're making progress.

DOesn't seem so, unfortunately.  It's almost a guarantee that spring training will start late.  I just want the regular season to start on time.  We shall see.

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

DOesn't seem so, unfortunately.  It's almost a guarantee that spring training will start late.  I just want the regular season to start on time.  We shall see.

I always look for a positive. Seems like they aren't negotiating through the media - maybe that's a good thing.

• Agree 1

On 2/8/2022 at 10:13 PM, SinceThe70s said:

@Another Fan    @Gugny

Logged in here after taking a break from the site.

Wow, that Daniel Murphy is an old guy, Old Man Dan at 35 yard of age lol.  An old timer. 

Kidding aside I like this owner seems to be embracing Mets history more.  

On another note when I opened that article some um non flattering news on our old friend Matt Harvey 

25 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

@Gugny@SinceThe70s

Saw our old friend all over the back page headlines today.  While hardly ever a fan of his personality or Matt the person or how he handled a possible demotion to the minors with the Mets I do hope he gets a certain amount of dignity shown to him.

I would link the article but then it just be clickbait 

I feel horrible for the guy.  An opioid addiction explains his erratic behavior and rapid decline.  He's lucky to be alive.

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

@Gugny@SinceThe70s

Saw our old friend all over the back page headlines today.  While hardly ever a fan of his personality or Matt the person or how he handled a possible demotion to the minors with the Mets I do hope he gets a certain amount of dignity shown to him.

I would link the article but then it just be clickbait 

52 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I feel horrible for the guy.  An opioid addiction explains his erratic behavior and rapid decline.  He's lucky to be alive.

Did you guys catch the quotes from Terry Collins? Apparently Harvey's drug usage was an open secret:

https://nypost.com/2022/02/15/matt-harvey-talked-about-killing-himself-while-with-the-mets/

8 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Did you guys catch the quotes from Terry Collins? Apparently Harvey's drug usage was an open secret:

https://nypost.com/2022/02/15/matt-harvey-talked-about-killing-himself-while-with-the-mets/

Didn't see that but I mean Harvey and Boras probably had a lot of pull then?

My mind just thinks of 2015 game 5 where he shut down Collins for wanting to take him out after the 8th inning 

54 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Didn't see that but I mean Harvey and Boras probably had a lot of pull then?

My mind just thinks of 2015 game 5 where he shut down Collins for wanting to take him out after the 8th inning 

The other thing I heard on the radio the past few days was something about Harvey having a bloody nose on one or two occasions when he was on the mound. Don't know the details and don't remember that at all but Mets beat reporter Ed Coleman confirmed that he was aware when "it" happened.

Coleman also mentioned that Harvey may have torpedoed his career when he insisted on pitching down the stretch and deep into the post season in 2015 when he was coming back from Tommy John surgery - which he did against the advice of Boras. That WS start was epic up until the 9th. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2022 at 11:30 PM, Gugny said:

@Gugny @Another Fan

Nearly a month later and the regular season won't start on time. So much for my optimism. 

I was listening to WFAN yesterday and they were trying to organize a celebrity softball game on what should be MLB opening day. Proceeds would go to stadium workers who will miss out on their paycheck. Probably a lot of hot air to keep listeners tuned in but a great sentiment nonetheless. It hit home harder when I walked into ***** Sporting Goods today looking for a birthday gift for my son and came across an Alonso jersey of questionable quality priced at $130.  

• Sad 1