Mets fans?

Another Fan

44 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I never cared for his overly ripped/muscular build.  Imo injuries like that are more likely because the muscles aren’t as flexible.  Especially pitching a baseball 

I agree with you 100%.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2021 at 6:46 AM, Gugny said:

James McCann absolutely sucks.  Nido has earned to be the every day guy.  

I didn't come here to call you out. but it's worth noting the difference 10 days make. McCann has been on fire at the plate lately. Pitching has been good all year.

I actually came here to post this.  At present DeGrom has 5 RBI's and has allowed 4 earned runs

6 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

I didn't come here to call you out. but it's worth noting the difference 10 days make. McCann has been on fire at the plate lately. Pitching has been good all year.

I actually came here to post this.  At present DeGrom has 5 RBI's and has allowed 4 earned runs

He turned it on shortly after my comment and I couldn't be more thrilled!!  I am totally fine being called out!  Hope he can keep it up.

• Like (+1) 1

Another Rojas management gem.

Take out your starter after 72 pitches and striking out 5 of the last 6 batters he faced (AKA - "getting into his groove).

Keep Familia in for a 2nd inning.

Leave Familia in when everyone watching knew he was spent after the first batter he faced.  Just stand in the dugout with your finger in your ass watching stoicly as Familia walks in the the tying run.

THEN you finally take him out and have a scrub reliever face Fernando ***** Tatis, who predictably hits the grand salami.

With a decent manager, the Mets would be running away with the division.  They are winning despite his ineptitude.

I really think he might be worse than Callaway.  He's terrible.

• Haha (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Gugny @SinceThe70s

I'm happy you guys still keep the thread alive.  I know for years this thread is was kept me interested in the games.  I hope everything is okay with Misterbluesky.  I mean he bleed blue and orange.  A fave poster of mine on other stuff too.  I kind of remember it sounded like he had some health concerns?  

I hadn't been feeling the games that much this year but I caught some of this weekend's action.  Of course I tuned into the inning DeGrom's 31 inning scoreless streak came to an end.  But hey the guys won Saturday....  they always seemed to find ways prior to waste his starts.  The only thing I can say about him that shows he is human is his pickup move too 1st isn't the strongest.  Well based on yesterdays first inning anyway.  

Wheeler had a strong outing.  I think it was brought up earlier in the thread but it seems he got it together.

Does Rojas do weekly segments on the WFAN?  I remember the Mets managers did with Mike and The Dog then just Mike.  Mike and the Mad Dog were arrogant especially Mike but at least it was sports reporting.  I'm just gonna say I don't listen to that station anymore 

54 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

@Gugny @SinceThe70s

I'm happy you guys still keep the thread alive.  I know for years this thread is was kept me interested in the games.  I hope everything is okay with Misterbluesky.  I mean he bleed blue and orange.  A fave poster of mine on other stuff too.  I kind of remember it sounded like he had some health concerns?  

I hadn't been feeling the games that much this year but I caught some of this weekend's action.  Of course I tuned into the inning DeGrom's 31 inning scoreless streak came to an end.  But hey the guys won Saturday....  they always seemed to find ways prior to waste his starts.  The only thing I can say about him that shows he is human is his pickup move too 1st isn't the strongest.  Well based on yesterdays first inning anyway.  

Wheeler had a strong outing.  I think it was brought up earlier in the thread but it seems he got it together.

Does Rojas do weekly segments on the WFAN?  I remember the Mets managers did with Mike and The Dog then just Mike.  Mike and the Mad Dog were arrogant especially Mike but at least it was sports reporting.  I'm just gonna say I don't listen to that station anymore 

@Another Fan - good to hear from you. This thread was more active back in Misterbluesky days but it's still where I prefer to share my 'amazing' insights (lol)  - and unless I'm mistaken someone close to Misterbluesky actually pitched for the Mets.

Some responses to your thoughts:

DeGrom: what he is doing this year is remarkable. It could be historic if he stays healthy. The last time I remember a pitcher being this much better than everyone else is Pedro Martinez in the steroid era posting an ERA a run less than the next best guy.

Wheeler: this is what makes roster building so frustrating. We traded Beltran for him in 2013. He ranged from inconsistent to injured (lost two years) to promising over 7 years. I had no issue with not committing to him long term at top dollar, but now he appears to have come into his own. Good for him, bad for us.

Rojas: I'm still working from home so I don't listen to WFAN much, but I think the Mets avoid WFAN cuz they are on another station. I can't think of anyone I know that likes Rojas. But here's the thing. The Mets are in first place in spite of a ridiculous number of injuries to the starting lineup, grossly underperforming  players that were healthy (i.e. - Lindor and Conforto), significant injuries to the starting rotation and injury issues in the bullpen.  He gets my benefit of the doubt for now.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

This fragmented Mets team seems to survive despite all of the injuries. I have trouble keeping up with the new lineups every other day!

The best part was when they brought in Cameron Maybin to help out and he went something like 0-30....which was only marginally worse than how our $35 million player was performing.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

The best part was when they brought in Cameron Maybin to help out and he went something like 0-30....which was only marginally worse than how our $35 million player was performing.

Linder? Hopefully he will get it going! Maybin is a joke!

14 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

@Another Fan - good to hear from you. This thread was more active back in Misterbluesky days but it's still where I prefer to share my 'amazing' insights (lol)  - and unless I'm mistaken someone close to Misterbluesky actually pitched for the Mets.

Some responses to your thoughts:

DeGrom: what he is doing this year is remarkable. It could be historic if he stays healthy. The last time I remember a pitcher being this much better than everyone else is Pedro Martinez in the steroid era posting an ERA a run less than the next best guy.

Wheeler: this is what makes roster building so frustrating. We traded Beltran for him in 2013. He ranged from inconsistent to injured (lost two years) to promising over 7 years. I had no issue with not committing to him long term at top dollar, but now he appears to have come into his own. Good for him, bad for us.

Rojas: I'm still working from home so I don't listen to WFAN much, but I think the Mets avoid WFAN cuz they are on another station. I can't think of anyone I know that likes Rojas. But here's the thing. The Mets are in first place in spite of a ridiculous number of injuries to the starting lineup, grossly underperforming  players that were healthy (i.e. - Lindor and Conforto), significant injuries to the starting rotation and injury issues in the bullpen.  He gets my benefit of the doubt for now.

Good insights.

Yeah misterbluesky had a cousin who pitched for the Mets in the late 70s/early 80s.  I forgot his name.  I still recall among other stories him telling me his son bought him a Seaver jersey for either his birthday or Father’s Day...  he was so moved by that he framed it.

While some guys struggle in New York their first year my gut now says the Lindor contract won’t be a good one.  An article where analytics nerds question him over the long haul as well

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nj.com/mets/2021/06/why-struggles-by-mets-francisco-lindor-might-be-more-than-just-a-2021-slump.html%3foutputType=amp

I’ll admit though at the time of the deal I thought it wasn’t necessary a bad move.  Yes the money was extremely absurd but it signaled a change in culture so to speak.  You know with prior owners that contract would have never happened.  

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Another Fan said:

@Gugny@SinceThe70s

I caught the game from the 7th inning on today at the gym.  Needless to say I don't need to say what happened.

Does Cohen just eat Diaz's contract if he keeps showing untrustworthy?  

LOL - I had the opposite Met day. Saw the 5 run first and left the house still up 5.

Bad loss for sure but Diaz has been good this year - very good in one inning save opportunities. He's not going anywhere.

The mid-season bottom line for me is that in spite of an absurd number of injuries and some grossly underperforming players we are in first place. We have 3 bonafide starters and the bullpen (even Famiilia) has been pretty damn good. Plus I can't wait to see if they add a major piece (Kris Bryant?) before the trade deadline.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Another Fan said:

@Gugny@SinceThe70s

I caught the game from the 7th inning on today at the gym.  Needless to say I don't need to say what happened.

Does Cohen just eat Diaz's contract if he keeps showing untrustworthy?  

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

LOL - I had the opposite Met day. Saw the 5 run first and left the house still up 5.

Bad loss for sure but Diaz has been good this year - very good in one inning save opportunities. He's not going anywhere.

The mid-season bottom line for me is that in spite of an absurd number of injuries and some grossly underperforming players we are in first place. We have 3 bonafide starters and the bullpen (even Famiilia) has been pretty damn good. Plus I can't wait to see if they add a major piece (Kris Bryant?) before the trade deadline.

I agree that Diaz has been solid this year so far.  I also agree that we seem to have weathered the storm.  Getting healthier as the All-Star Break approaches.  I'm sure Alderson will make a move or two and I see the Mets running away with the division.

That said, the division is weak and the playoffs will be no joke.  But I think the Mets are built to win playoff series.  

We shall see.

#LFGM

• Like (+1) 1

I see no need to apologize for winning the division at only 85 games per say. I’m sure the team has been unlucky more often than not over the years that way.

Yeah assuming starting pitching stays healthy how can you not like the Mets in a best of 5 with Jake.  

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fun fact:

At 41 years and 136 days, Rich Hill was the second-oldest pitcher to make his Mets debut. Warren Spahn’s debut with the Mets came at 43 years and 356 days when he pitched against the Astros on April 14, 1965.

I had no idea Warren Spahn ever threw a pitch for the Mets - or pitched into his 40's.

Looking forward to a night at the ballpark with the fam. Return of the black uniforms, Mets debut for Carrasco, free Lindor t-shirt and  the Mets apparently landed Javier Baez - who I have been a big fan of since the no-look tag in the World Baseball Classic 

Assuming the deal doesn't fall through there's a good chance he gets some playing time tonight. Cubs are in Washington and there are direct flights hourly between Reagan and La Guardia. It's not inconceivable he could get to Citi Field in time for the first pitch. Flight time is shorter than my drive to Citi Field.

LFGM!!