Mets fans?

Another Fan

It will be interesting to see who gets the nod for GM.

Alderson has already told Rojas that he's coming back for another season.  That means that the new GM won't be able to pick his manager.

I think Rojas is a lame duck and that Cohen and Alderson plan on hiring Theo Epstein after this upcoming season.  

This could mean that Theo is already in discussions with Cohen/Alderson and might even be choosing the GM he inherits.  I think Epstein will fill the President of Baseball Operations role, which, if he is whispering in Cohen's/Alderson's ear about a new GM hire, would enable that GM to stay in place, then pick his own manager for the 2022 season.

Maybe I'm crazy, but that's just my hunch.

11 hours ago, Gugny said:

It will be interesting to see who gets the nod for GM.

Alderson has already told Rojas that he's coming back for another season.  That means that the new GM won't be able to pick his manager.

I think Rojas is a lame duck and that Cohen and Alderson plan on hiring Theo Epstein after this upcoming season.  

This could mean that Theo is already in discussions with Cohen/Alderson and might even be choosing the GM he inherits.  I think Epstein will fill the President of Baseball Operations role, which, if he is whispering in Cohen's/Alderson's ear about a new GM hire, would enable that GM to stay in place, then pick his own manager for the 2022 season.

Maybe I'm crazy, but that's just my hunch.

The Theo speculation is very plausible.  

I'm not as convinced that Rojas is a lame duck, as best as I can tell Sandy has his back.  Next year he gets to extend the audition and if it goes well, who knows.

• Like (+1) 1

On a separate note I'm happy Stroman is back next year, especially on a one-year prove-it deal. Those deals don't scare me anymore with Cohen in the fold.

But Stroman should stfu when it comes to recruiting Lindor. That's a slap in the face to Rosario and Gimenez - one or both of whom may be starting games behind Stroman next year.

https://nypost.com/2020/11/24/marcus-stroman-flirts-with-francisco-lindor-in-mets-trade-push/

• 1 month later...

Thoughts on the Lindor trade?

Personally, I love it.  I can't see how this can be viewed negatively in any way.  Even for the Indians.  I think it was a great trade in which both teams "won."

@SinceThe70s

@KD in CA

@Another Fan

@Golden Goat

Feel free to tag other Mets fans.  I just went back 4-5 pages to see who was active.

#LFGM

42 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Thoughts on the Lindor trade?

Personally, I love it.  I can't see how this can be viewed negatively in any way.  Even for the Indians.  I think it was a great trade in which both teams "won."

@SinceThe70s

@KD in CA

@Another Fan

@Golden Goat

Feel free to tag other Mets fans.  I just went back 4-5 pages to see who was active.

#LFGM

It's a steal. A year ago I would have been worried that they wouldn't sign Lindor but with Cohen on board I'm assuming that will happen. 

With Carrasco included Bauer must be off the table. It'll be interesting to see if they land Springer. He's a perfect fit: strong right handed hitter and a legit CFer. To be honest, he's probably a better fit than the upgrade at SS, but that upgrade came with a boost to the starting rotation so no complaints.

16 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

It's a steal. A year ago I would have been worried that they wouldn't sign Lindor but with Cohen on board I'm assuming that will happen. 

With Carrasco included Bauer must be off the table. It'll be interesting to see if they land Springer. He's a perfect fit: strong right handed hitter and a legit CFer. To be honest, he's probably a better fit than the upgrade at SS, but that upgrade came with a boost to the starting rotation so no complaints.

Landing Springer would be sweet.   Nimmo, Conforto and Springer in the outfield.  McNeil at 2B.  Dom Smith and Alonso taking turns playing 1B and DH.

That's killer.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Gugny said:

Somebody's not exactly doing their job with background checks or something within the organization.  I mean just last year it sounded like ignoring Beltran about his possible involvement with the cheating scandal?  

Just now, Another Fan said:

Somebody's not exactly doing their job with background checks or something within the organization.  I mean just last year it sounded like ignoring Beltran about his possible involvement with the cheating scandal?  

Yeah, this isn't a good look.  Cohen did the right thing by firing him almost immediately, though.  Not sure anything would have come up in a background check.  Seems like the only ones who knew about it were him, the girl and ESPN - who honored her request to not write/speak about it.

29 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Yeah, this isn't a good look.  Cohen did the right thing by firing him almost immediately, though.  Not sure anything would have come up in a background check.  Seems like the only ones who knew about it were him, the girl and ESPN - who honored her request to not write/speak about it.

I understand the need to keep her identity private, but I'm dying to know who the female reporter is, just to see if she is really "career ending mistake" worthy.

What a dumbass Porter is. Didnt we all learn from Brett Favre?!?

9 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I understand the need to keep her identity private, but I'm dying to know who the female reporter is, just to see if she is really "career ending mistake" worthy.

What a dumbass Porter is. Didnt we all learn from Brett Favre?!?

I think the D pic is the least of this.  This dude is crazy.  I mean - take a ***** hint, man!!!  He was harassing the hell of this girl!

• 2 weeks later...

So two things I saw in the news today Mets related:

https://www.mlb.com/news/daniel-murphy-retires-from-baseball

Dan Murphy is calling it quits from MLB.  I'm not going to comment on his personality or his life off the field but from a baseball perspective he was a favorite Met of mine.  I felt he was always sort of had a lot of natural innate ability as a hitter but humbled himself to work really really hard on the rest of his game as well.  This show cased itself most in the 2015 NLCS where he had a series that would have made Babe Ruth envious.  I know defense was never a strong point for him but I thought as well he worked hard enough on it to become average at the end there.  It seemed to me the powers that be never really warmed up to him and let him walk.  In some ways I was happy to still see him do well as a National.  

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/30/gamestop-point72-founder-steve-cohen-leaves-twitter-after-family-receives-threats.html

New owner, Steve Cohen.  I'll be honest I know nothing at all about Gamestop.  Steve has talked a good game so far since he took over being owner.  Done more to connect with the fans so far than the Wilpons have in 40 years as owners.  At the same time I thought Rex Ryan talked a good game as well when he took the Bills job.  So yeah while he's a breathe of fresh air at the same time though I'll still assume it's lip service until proven otherwise.  

Edited by Another Fan

On 1/19/2021 at 4:21 PM, Gugny said:

I think the D pic is the least of this.  This dude is crazy.  I mean - take a ***** hint, man!!!  He was harassing the hell of this girl!

Well apparently the organization has more skeletons in its closet with this stuff.  

For whatever reason the Mickey Callaway allegations did genuinely bother me.  In the sense that when he was the Mets manager I kinda knew he wasn't the best in game manager but I did always feel he carried himself with a certain amount of integrity that made me want to stand up for him.

All washed away now 🤮

38 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Well apparently the organization has more skeletons in its closet with this stuff.  

For whatever reason the Mickey Callaway allegations did genuinely bother me.  In the sense that when he was the Mets manager I kinda knew he wasn't the best in game manager but I did always feel he carried himself with a certain amount of integrity that made me want to stand up for him.

All washed away now 🤮

I felt -and feel - the exact same.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This might be the best thing I've heard Cohen say since he took over:

the Mets play most of their Saturday home games at night. Asked about changing the bulk of those to day games, Cohen said, “Why not? I don’t see why we can’t do that. It’s better for the kids, right? We want our next generation to enjoy being at the ballpark and enjoy their affiliation with the Mets, and so I think we should do that.”

https://nypost.com/2021/03/29/mets-bringing-back-polarizing-black-jerseys/

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

@Gugny Posting in this 'dead zone'  out of deference for a comment you made early on in the LGM thread.

Any thoughts on Mets GM Zack Scott? Here's mine: in the past week he's gone from someone I knew nothing about  to someone I have nothing good to say about:

- fired Chili Davis and said something to the effect that "it's not about results"

- expressed his unhappiness about how the players handled the ratgate incident with the press -  imo the players handled it pretty damn well.

I'm an admitted Mets homer and by and large apologist for most things Mets related but I'm headed to straight hate for Zack Scott. He looks out of his element.

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

@Gugny Posting in this 'dead zone'  out of deference for a comment you made early on in the LGM thread.

Any thoughts on Mets GM Zack Scott? Here's mine: in the past week he's gone from someone I knew nothing about  to someone I have nothing good to say about:

- fired Chili Davis and said something to the effect that "it's not about results"

- expressed his unhappiness about how the players handled the ratgate incident with the press -  imo the players handled it pretty damn well.

I'm an admitted Mets homer and by and large apologist for most things Mets related but I'm headed to straight hate for Zack Scott. He looks out of his element.

I am with you 100%.

• Like (+1) 1