Mets fans?

Another Fan

On 8/29/2020 at 8:14 AM, Golden Goat said:

Whelp, if they sold them to ARod and J-Ho, I was ready to cash in my chips after 38 years of fanhood.

Since it’s still the Mets and (Just die) Wilpons, I have to assume they’ll still ***** it up, but am willing to hang on a little longer, just in case Bobby Axlerod really does get the Mets.

Edited by KD in CA

I never really took the A-Rod/J-Lo bid serious.  The Wilpons just don't strike as me people who will let a Rodriguez and a Lopez infiltrate their ranks, I'll just leave it there.

Even if they sell the team, they strike me as not going away anytime soon and will still want some control.  I'll believe it when I see it.  

19 hours ago, Another Fan said:

I never really took the A-Rod/J-Lo bid serious.  The Wilpons just don't strike as me people who will let a Rodriguez and a Lopez infiltrate their ranks, I'll just leave it there.

Even if they sell the team, they strike me as not going away anytime soon and will still want some control.  I'll believe it when I see it.  

Yup....this should have happened six months ago except for those a-holes not being willing to just walk away.   

Hasn't been much on-the-field baseball talk around here for awhile. Not sure if anyone else cares, but here goes.

Gimenez has made a case to take over at SS. From what I knew he was a top prospect that was supposedly still a year a way. Hasn't looked that way through 40+. Small sample but he looks like he belongs. I still like Rosario, but less so at SS.

4 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Nope.....not celebrating until the vote.   Not watching this team until the Wilpons are dead and/or gone.

If I understand it correct they'll still have "5% ownership" of the team if this deal goes through.  

My gut feeling is they're still not completely going away 

On 9/15/2020 at 5:38 PM, KD in CA said:

Nope.....not celebrating until the vote.   Not watching this team until the Wilpons are dead and/or gone.

Another year of deGrom's HOF talent wasted.

Hopefully by now all of this is water under the bridge and the sale goes through, but I'll call the sale a done deal when it's actually a done deal:

https://reflectionsonbaseball.com/steve-cohen-all-that-money-and-still-he-cant-buy-mlb-owners-love/

Cohen’s business legacy is littered with questionable tactics, one of which was reviewed by the Feds for two years.

They found smoke, but not the fire, and Cohen escaped with a damaged reputation and some hefty fines.

It’s that reputation that’s followed and haunted Steve Cohen. In 2011, Cohen launched his first attempt to by an MLB team. As with the Mets, his money talked to make him the highest bidder for the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Alas, Cohen could not convince the required seventy-five percent of his would-be peers to ratify the purchase. 

Steve Cohen to hire Sandy Alderson as president of New York Mets if sale approved

Interesting: "... The Mets received word from the New York Yankees at a high executive level that current Yankees general manager Brian Cashman was not available to them, sources told ESPN's Buster Olney on Thursday..."

Edited by Golden Goat

On 9/23/2020 at 7:07 PM, SinceThe70s said:

Anyone watching the Mets bow out?

Gary just pointed out that the Rays pitcher has the same wind up as Sid Finch. They just posted a pic of Sid and a freeze frame of the Ray and it's, well, amazing. Here's the Sid pic

unhittable.jpg

I won't watch until the Wilpons are dead or gone.  But I do love a good Sidd Finch reference.

From the end of regular season power rankings:

team logo
METS
Last place. What a fitting way for the Wilpon family swan song. Bye, guys. Won't miss ya.
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 9/24/2020 at 8:16 AM, Golden Goat said:

Steve Cohen to hire Sandy Alderson as president of New York Mets if sale approved

Interesting: "... The Mets received word from the New York Yankees at a high executive level that current Yankees general manager Brian Cashman was not available to them, sources told ESPN's Buster Olney on Thursday..."

I totally missed the part about Cashman. If Cohen is going after high end baseball executives that's a great sign that he won't be overly meddlesome.

A few years ago my Islanders got new ownership and they managed to hire a GM and coach both with Stanley Cup pedigree. The team has been far more competitive the past two years. You rarely hear from the owners.

Negative me thinks Alderson was 'signed' just to help get approval for the sale. I thought he was a great GM whose time with the Mets had run its course. Maybe it'll be different with the Wilpons gone.

• 4 weeks later...

This continues to trend in the right direction. 

Steve Cohen’s purchase of the Mets took another step toward completion when his deal was approved by MLB’s Ownership Committee, one of the smaller groups that needed to give the hedge-fund multibillionaire a thumbs-up before he officially takes over, a source said Tuesday.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/steve-cohen-mets-purchase-mlb-ownership-committee-1.50042470

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

"Most of all, I’d like to thank Mets fans for their unwavering support throughout this process. My family and I are lifelong Mets fans, so we’re really excited about this. With free agency starting Sunday night we will be working towards a quick close." - Steve Cohen

Game on!

• 3 weeks later...