Mets fans?

Another Fan

Our old friend Bartolo wants back in. Nice to see the fond memories of his time as a Met are mutual. If baseball comes back with a short season and expanded roster the Mets would be fools to not bring him back. I don't necessarily think it would go well from a baseball standpoint, but that wouldn't bother me in the least:

“That Mets team was really something special,” Colon said of his time with the Mets, which included a trip to the World Series in 2015. “I’ve played with 10 [11] teams, but with the Mets, the way all those players treated me, how that entire franchise treated me, from the front office to the kitchen staff, it was amazing. And Mets fans are the best. In the beginning, when they laughed at me every time my helmet fell off, at first I felt uncomfortable. But when I saw how much the fans enjoyed it, I asked for a bigger batting helmet so that it would fall more because it was so much fun for them!

“If it was up to me, I would retire with the Mets. I would like my career to end in New York.”

https://nypost.com/2020/05/18/46-year-old-bartolo-colon-wants-to-pitch-for-mets-again/

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Our old friend Bartolo wants back in. Nice to see the fond memories of his time as a Met are mutual. If baseball comes back with a short season and expanded roster the Mets would be fools to not bring him back. I don't necessarily think it would go well from a baseball standpoint, but that wouldn't bother me in the least:

“That Mets team was really something special,” Colon said of his time with the Mets, which included a trip to the World Series in 2015. “I’ve played with 10 [11] teams, but with the Mets, the way all those players treated me, how that entire franchise treated me, from the front office to the kitchen staff, it was amazing. And Mets fans are the best. In the beginning, when they laughed at me every time my helmet fell off, at first I felt uncomfortable. But when I saw how much the fans enjoyed it, I asked for a bigger batting helmet so that it would fall more because it was so much fun for them!

“If it was up to me, I would retire with the Mets. I would like my career to end in New York.”

https://nypost.com/2020/05/18/46-year-old-bartolo-colon-wants-to-pitch-for-mets-again/

I just saw this on ESPN.com. It's hard not to root for the guy. His home run trot at Citi Field is in my Top 3 favorite Mets moments, and that likely won't ever change. The way that played out is everything that's right with baseball. Pitching ability aside -- What a mentor he'd be for our young kids.

Edited by Golden Goat

4 minutes ago, Golden Goat said:

I just saw this on ESPN.com. It's hard not to root for the guy. His home run trot at Citi Field is in my Top 3 favorite Mets moments, and that likely won't ever change. The way that played out is everything that's right with baseball.

My favorite memory of Bart was the behind the back flip to first when he smirked as he attempted it. "everything that's right with baseball " is spot on. 

Posted the story here about Bart wanting to come back as soon as I saw it. But it got better when my youngest told me and his older brother about it and we both already knew. To me that's  everything that's right with baseball . My grandfather instilled a love for the game and it's characters in me and he would have loved Bart.

On 5/25/2020 at 7:17 PM, SinceThe70s said:

Trivia question: who knocked in the last run of the 1986 World Series? 

I know Straw jacked one late that was the exclamation point on that night’s comeback (OMG....it’s 3-0 Sox, we’re going to blow this after all!!!), but for some reason didn’t think it was the final run.

Just now, KD in CA said:

I know Straw jacked one late that was the exclamation point on that night’s comeback (OMG....it’s 3-0 Sox, we’re going to blow this after all!!!), but for some reason didn’t think it was the final run.

You're better than me, I thought Straw's jack was the last run. We've been watching a lot of the replays (Thor just came into bottom 7 game 5 Dodgers 2015 after Murph put us up 3-2). 

But I digress, Straw made it 7-5 to open the 8th. With one out, runners on 1st and 2nd, Jesse Orosco at the plate and the Red Sawx playing an aggressive bunt defense Davey Johnson extends a big middle finger, lets Orosco swing away and he bounces one up the middle for the last run.

I'm somewhat embarrassed that I forgot that.

9 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

You're better than me, I thought Straw's jack was the last run. We've been watching a lot of the replays (Thor just came into bottom 7 game 5 Dodgers 2015 after Murph put us up 3-2). 

But I digress, Straw made it 7-5 to open the 8th. With one out, runners on 1st and 2nd, Jesse Orosco at the plate and the Red Sawx playing an aggressive bunt defense Davey Johnson extends a big middle finger, lets Orosco swing away and he bounces one up the middle for the last run.

I'm somewhat embarrassed that I forgot that.

Love me some Jesse, but I forgive myself for forgetting that as my BAC was probably at or above .15 when it happened!   

At the end of game six I was in the frat social room which was a mixed fan (but heavily weighted toward Sox fans as we were in Rhode Island) experience.  For Game 7 everyone choose sides and was sequestered with their own kind.  My roommate and I hosted the rowdiest of the Mets rooms.  The Sox fans upstairs from us heard non-stop from the 6th inning on.   Much fun that night.

1 minute ago, KD in CA said:

Love me some Jesse, but I forgive myself for forgetting that as my BAC was probably at or above .15 when it happened!   

At the end of game six I was in the frat social room which was a mixed fan (but heavily weighted toward Sox fans as we were in Rhode Island) experience.  For Game 7 everyone choose sides and was sequestered with their own kind.  My roommate and I hosted the rowdiest of the Mets rooms.  The Sox fans upstairs from us heard non-stop from the 6th inning on.   Much fun that night.

That's awesome!!

I watched game 6 with two cousins in Boston . We get along great but rarely see each other and there was zero trash talking. Just me amazed and them stunned.

By game 7 I was back on LI and watching with friends. It brought back memories seeing Jesse knock in the run, but nothing I recalled until seeing the replay.

Where did you watch game 6 against the Astros?

43 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

That's awesome!!

I watched game 6 with two cousins in Boston . We get along great but rarely see each other and there was zero trash talking. Just me amazed and them stunned.

By game 7 I was back on LI and watching with friends. It brought back memories seeing Jesse knock in the run, but nothing I recalled until seeing the replay.

Where did you watch game 6 against the Astros?

That was an afternoon game IIRC, and I didn't get back to my room from class until the end of the 8th inning and missed everything up till then.  Reaction was "oh *****, they're toast with Scott going tomorrow".  Of course...the game was just beginning with the rally in the 9th.

p.s.  I was dating a cute and horny freshman redhead at the time.....boy the fall of '86 was a good time.

Edited by KD in CA
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

That was an afternoon game IIRC, and I didn't get back to my room from class until the end of the 8th inning and missed everything up till then.  Reaction was "oh *****, they're toast with Scott going tomorrow".  Of course...the game was just beginning with the rally in the 9th.

p.s.  I was dating a cute and horny freshman redhead at the time.....boy the fall of '86 was a good time.

No horny redheads for me that day, but me and my eventual best man still talk about how our rally bongs and burning anything related to the Astros  contributed to the win.

• Haha (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

With the 19th pick in the 2020 MLB draft, the New York Mets select PETE CROW-ARMSTRONG, CF, PREP

nym.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true 19. New York Mets: Pete Crow-Armstrong, CF, Harvard-Westlake HS (California)

Who is Crow-Armstrong? The son of two actors, Crow-Armstrong is from the same prep school that produced Lucas Giolito, Max Fried and Jack Flaherty. He has long been on scouts' radar and has played for the 12U, 15U and 18U national teams. The left-handed hitter is more hit than power right now, with scouts disagreeing on the long-term impact of his power. But he's a plus defender and runner who can handle center field.

Why the Mets took him here: Crow-Armstrong looks the part of future big league outfielder. He has a great pedigree for a future star -- and his mother played the mother in the movie "Little Big League." He's also been talked about as a top prospect in this draft since he first popped on the radar as a California prep star. The big question is if his power will develop to match the rest of his skills. If it does, he's an all-around outfielder worthy of a much higher spot in this draft. -- Mullen

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29260677/2020-mlb-draft-tracker-live-updates-first-round-picks-analysis-highlights

• Like (+1) 1

I vaguely remember John Cangelosi as a New York Met.  It's funny when I googled him from his time with the club one of the first images that came up was him making the cover of Sports Illustrated for a brawl.  

But he had a book out last year where he detailed his experiences as a major/minor leaguer.  Ball players cut from his cloth were always my favorite: scrappy, no nonsense, lead by example, etc...    His first year with the White Sox he stole 50 bases.  Stolen bases in general have seen to be a lost art.

Even though he wasn't a Met all that long he did spend a lot of time in the minors playing in WNY.  I thought it was cool he seems to think very fondly of his time in Buffalo along with the people there.

http://www.herdchronicles.com/single-post/2019/07/22/Leading-by-Example

Interestingly enough one of his managers there was Terry Collins.  But yeah in quarantine it looks like a book I wouldn't mind reading.   

• 3 weeks later...

I was about to post the link below about the Wilpons accepting initial bids today for the sale of the Mets when I flipped to SNY in time to see Lowrie take DeGrom to deep center and Yoenis put one over the wall against Lugo at Citi Field today. Mets games coming and the Wilpons (potentially) going was good to see today. Stromans hair? Not so much.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/09/bidding-in-mets-sale-makes-this-rare-chance-finally-feel-real/

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2020 at 3:31 PM, Golden Goat said:

PhotoShop. Nobody's dumb enough to wear a Mets shirt on a Bronx subway.

I remember years and years back I found out one of my relatives as well as a co-worker were both Mets fans who grew up in the Bronx.  And I'm just like how the hell does that happen lol?  Obviously liking the Mets I wasn't being judgmental at all, I thought it was cool!

My relative explained the part of the Bronx they grew up by the Throgs Neck Bridge was about equal distance to Yankee and Shea Stadium, and at the time Shea was a little safer to go to and cheaper.  The other guy I think just likes to be a contrarian kinda like me!  

I remember reading this article on Doug Marrone as well a long time ago when he was the Bills coach:

https://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2010/12/baseball_heart_football_body_d.html

It's been so long I thought I dreamt it up!  But it got explained in it he and Michael Kay both grew up in the same area in the Bronx surrounded by Mets fans who they had to defend their "territory" from.  Marrone's grandfather worked as an usher at Yankee Stadium.

It just goes to show me NYC will just like whosever trendier at the moment 

Edited by Another Fan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Another Fan said:

It just goes to show me NYC will just like whosever trendier at the moment 

I grew up very close to Shea, but that's not why I became a Mets fan. All my friends were obnoxious Yankees fans (oxymoron intended). Back in the early '80s the Yankees blew and the Mets were up-and-coming. I *should* be a Jets fan, but I was a loyal New Yorker back then and -- even at 8 -- I didn't want to root for a New Jersey team. 

Oh, and I hate all things FSU because my ex girlfriend went there. If that sounds immature... YEP! ?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Golden Goat said:

Oh, and I hate all things FSU because my ex girlfriend went there. If that sounds immature... YEP! ?

Lol.  I admit I can be petty like that as well.  Not liking certain things, places, schools, music, movies, or sports teams because they remind me of somebody I don't like.  

1985 Yankees baseball.  Donnie Baseball just hits a dramatic walk-off run.  And notice how many hard core Yankee fans there are sitting where the home run landed.  A loyal fan base lol.

On 7/20/2020 at 6:27 PM, Another Fan said:

Lol.  I admit I can be petty like that as well.  Not liking certain things, places, schools, music, movies, or sports teams because they remind me of somebody I don't like.  

1985 Yankees baseball.  Donnie Baseball just hits a dramatic walk-off run.  And notice how many hard core Yankee fans there are sitting where the home run landed.  A loyal fan base lol.

I always thought Mattingly had a disproportionately large ass.  He looks like a Kardashian.