Mets fans?

Another Fan

22 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

As I've probably mentioned in this thread at some point, The thing that REALLY bothered me about Beltran was not the strikeout but when he signed with the Yankees years later.  His first act was to say how the Mets mistreated him despite never actually leading the club to the World Series.  But I mean to be fair I've said some not so kind things about other people before I wished I could take back.  I suppose I can learn to forgive.

However, if memory serves me correct he always had a pretty bland personality as a Met and didn't enjoy talking to the media.  I can't remember any real leadership abilities as well.

Carlos better realize he's the liaison between the front office and the media.  The Wilsons never talk to the media.  Brodie will only show up when it's convenient for him.  He's gonna have to learn to be an extrovert for a quiet kind of guy or he'll get eaten alive and spit right back out.  

As of right now I really don't like this hire.  I wish Mickey was still around if they weren't going to pursue Girardi.  I hope I'm made to look like a fool but this is gonna be as bad a hire as Adam Gase for the Jets 

Bolded where I agree, strikethrough where I don't

• Awesome! (+1) 1

21 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

He better bring in a veteran bench coach. As far as I know he's never managed a game at any level. 

Never managed, nor coached.  He's only been in the dugout as a player and is only two years removed from that.

At least Callaway had an impressive resume as a pitching coach ... and he was STILL clueless as to how to manage a team.  Remember batting out of order???  

As stated above, it's crucial that he hires a top notch bench coach.  I'm sure he will.

My only concern ... which is not a Beltran concern, per se ... is that BVW will continue to manage from his couch.  I would bet my house that that's the reason Girardi isn't here.  It's just like the Washington Redskins.  Only people desperate to be a HC would even consider that gig.  As long as it's the Wilpons and BVW, the Mets will be the same.

That said, young, first year managers have done well in recent years.  Mets have a lot of talent.  While I'm not particularly crazy about the hire, I'm still very optimistic about the Mets' chances to compete.

LGFM!

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Never managed, nor coached.  He's only been in the dugout as a player and is only two years removed from that.

At least Callaway had an impressive resume as a pitching coach ... and he was STILL clueless as to how to manage a team.  Remember batting out of order???  

As stated above, it's crucial that he hires a top notch bench coach.  I'm sure he will.

My only concern ... which is not a Beltran concern, per se ... is that BVW will continue to manage from his couch.  I would bet my house that that's the reason Girardi isn't here.  It's just like the Washington Redskins.  Only people desperate to be a HC would even consider that gig.  As long as it's the Wilpons and BVW, the Mets will be the same.

That said, young, first year managers have done well in recent years.  Mets have a lot of talent.  While I'm not particularly crazy about the hire, I'm still very optimistic about the Mets' chances to compete.

LGFM!

Agreed on everything.

Besides bench coach it will also be interesting to see who else he brings in to coach. We all had a good laugh when Phil Regan took over as pitching coach, but that turned out pretty well.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Golden Goat said:

Bingo.

Carlos Beltran won’t be making all the decisions as Mets manager

I do think it's cute that Beltran thinks BVW is his BFF now. :rolleyes:

My initial reaction was obviously very negative to the hire.  Instead of dwelling on it I didn't pay attention to any of it over the weekend.  Against my better judgment I listened to Carlos's intro press conference on the way home.  Brodie pretty much talked more than half the time more so than Beltran.  Beltran just umm seemed like he's not understanding what he's getting himself into imo.  Like the article if that was any preview to the season Brodie's running the show.  No surprise

Compare to the Phillies press conference introducing Girardi.  GM talked for a minute then gave it all over to Joe.  Could tell Joe wants to win.  No BS there.

I don't want to keep spreading the negativity here.  Checking out for a while

P.S.  Did you laugh at the clip?  wink wink 

• Like (+1) 1

Degrom does it again! Second Cy Young in a row! Here's to the best pitcher in baseball! Next year, please score more runs for this guy!

10 hours ago, Gugny said:

Here's the name of the ONE A-HOLE who didn't vote for Alonso:  The Athletic’s Andrew Baggarly.

What.   A.    Dick.

There is always one D...head on every block. There was no reason for it.

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

Degrom does it again! Second Cy Young in a row! Here's to the best pitcher in baseball! Next year, please score more runs for this guy!

I'm a middle of the road person. Brodie's made some bad moves.

But he did get DeGrom signed and brought Alonso up to start the season. Both of those moves could be viewed as not Wilpon-esque.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

I'm a middle of the road person. Brodie's made some bad moves.

But he did get DeGrom signed and brought Alonso up to start the season. Both of those moves could be viewed as not Wilpon-esque.

Sometimes the Mets organization will make some very capable moves!

Just now, Rocket94 said:

Sometimes the Mets organization will make some very capable moves!

Brodie is a lightning rod.  Cano/Diaz/Kelenic/Dunn will be his legacy for better or worse.  Right now it looks horrendous even though Kelenic and Dunn are still unproven. But what people forget is that he dumped Jay Bruce in the deal and Diaz looked like a great pickup at the time. NOBODY predicted the Diaz drop-off. Poop happens.

Just now, SinceThe70s said:

Brodie is a lightning rod.  Cano/Diaz/Kelenic/Dunn will be his legacy for better or worse.  Right now it looks horrendous even though Kelenic and Dunn are still unproven. But what people forget is that he dumped Jay Bruce in the deal and Diaz looked like a great pickup at the time. NOBODY predicted the Diaz drop-off. Poop happens.

It is scary to think how Brodie set the Mets back in such short a time. Hopefully Diaz bounces back. 

1 minute ago, Rocket94 said:

It is scary to think how Brodie set the Mets back in such short a time. Hopefully Diaz bounces back. 

They competed for the wild card late into the season.That's not a setback IMO.

He signed deGrom, didn't bury Alonso for the extra year of control (I thought that was stupid at the time), turned McNeil into a better hitting Zobrist (some folks thought this was bound to fail), brought in J.D. Davis, didn't give up on Dom Smith ( I would have) , had a minor league system with major league ready talent (Hechevaria, Carlos Gomez, Rajai Davis) and decisively cut ties with the likes of Keon Broxton  and Aaron Altherr.

Oh yeah, he also fired Mickey.That's a good, thing amirite?

I'm not sold on Brodie by any means but I do think his vocal detractors ignore what he's done well (and yes, I get that his bullpen was an unmitigated disaster and he's gutted the minor leagues - as long as you consider losing three players 'gutting')

LGM, Go Bills!

On 11/13/2019 at 11:00 PM, SinceThe70s said:

Diaz was the best closer in the game in 2017.  Getting him was a solid move.  Having Cano be part of the deal ... far less solid.

I'm very hopeful and somewhat confident that Diaz will be the powerhouse we expected him to be next season.

With no Familia (that ***** guy) and a properly managed bullpen/pitching staff for an entire year, good things can happen.

11 hours ago, Gugny said:

Diaz was the best closer in the game in 2017.  Getting him was a solid move.  Having Cano be part of the deal ... far less solid.

I'm very hopeful and somewhat confident that Diaz will be the powerhouse we expected him to be next season.

With no Familia (that ***** guy) and a properly managed bullpen/pitching staff for an entire year, good things can happen.

Cano and Familia were both such horrible moves it sort of overshadows everything else.  Those were EJ Manuel-level blunders.