Mets fans?

Another Fan

On my way home today I was listening to Francesa interview Girardi.  A good two minute excerpt from the interview on his managerial interviews:

https://wfan.radio.com/articles/joe-girardi-wfan-there-will-be-clarity-manager-search

Most of Girardi's comments were generic. The only thing he said that caught my attention was around the minute mark where he mentioned the relationship, comfortability factor and everyone working together. Sounded like something Brodie would want to hear.

Later the same evening I see the article below which is clearly based off the Francesa interview, includes a lot of the generic quotes (but not the ones I cared about) and this statement:

The biggest factor for general manager Brodie Van Wagenen might be deciding whether Girardi has the “collaboration” skills to work with the Mets front office.

https://nypost.com/2019/10/22/joe-girardis-sense-could-mean-mets-decision-is-coming-soon/

I think Girardi wants the job. If you're a Girardi fan, bad news - I'm usually wrong when I speculate.

On 10/22/2019 at 10:10 PM, SinceThe70s said:

On my way home today I was listening to Francesa interview Girardi.  A good two minute excerpt from the interview on his managerial interviews:

https://wfan.radio.com/articles/joe-girardi-wfan-there-will-be-clarity-manager-search

Most of Girardi's comments were generic. The only thing he said that caught my attention was around the minute mark where he mentioned the relationship, comfortability factor and everyone working together. Sounded like something Brodie would want to hear.

Later the same evening I see the article below which is clearly based off the Francesa interview, includes a lot of the generic quotes (but not the ones I cared about) and this statement:

The biggest factor for general manager Brodie Van Wagenen might be deciding whether Girardi has the “collaboration” skills to work with the Mets front office.

https://nypost.com/2019/10/22/joe-girardis-sense-could-mean-mets-decision-is-coming-soon/

I think Girardi wants the job. If you're a Girardi fan, bad news - I'm usually wrong when I speculate.

Well, no worries. Girardi to manage Phillies. I think we all know some friction would have developed eventually. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

Well, no worries. Girardi to manage Phillies. I think we all know some friction would have developed eventually. 

I mean of course I can’t prove it but I never thought they took Girardi seriously...  he had to strong a personality 

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/22/2019 at 8:10 PM, SinceThe70s said:

Translation:  take orders from upstairs about who should pinch-hit in the seventh.

Just ***** die Wilpons.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Another Fan said:

I mean of course I can’t prove it but I never thought they took Girardi seriously...  he had to strong a personality 

I think you are right. They had to hear his presentation to give him that respect. 

So our old pal Mickey landed the Angels pithing coach job:

https://www.lonestarball.com/2019/10/27/20934947/mlb-rumors-mickey-callaway-angels-pitching-coach-los-angeles-anaheim-new-york-mets

So I say good for him.  Probably a role that would suit him better than Mets manager.  

Then again why did we the front office fire him again?  Certainly not very apparent they want an upgrade at that position 

3 hours ago, Another Fan said:

So our old pal Mickey landed the Angels pithing coach job:

https://www.lonestarball.com/2019/10/27/20934947/mlb-rumors-mickey-callaway-angels-pitching-coach-los-angeles-anaheim-new-york-mets

So I say good for him.  Probably a role that would suit him better than Mets manager.  

Then again why did we the front office fire him again?  Certainly not very apparent they want an upgrade at that position 

Mickey was a bad in-game manager, unimpressive with the press and wasn't hired by the current GM. I'm glad he's gone, if whoever we bring in isn't an upgrade it will be a long two years.

2 minutes ago, Golden Goat said:

Silver lining in Beltran's hiring: The Bills are 5-2.

Lets hope that Beltran has grown up. This core of young Mets are selfless team players first and they need Beltran at his very best. This may work well. Beltran is a former Met and he is youthful. Now lets see what BVW has up his sleeve.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Now lets see what BVW has up his sleeve.

And for me, that's the issue, and will be till he's fired. I'm not used to this. Never have I despised someone so much in management -- Mets or Bills. Not even close.

Beltran has BVW stank on him now, in addition to "called strike three" stank. It's going to take a lot of winning (and perhaps a gas mask) for me to tolerate the stench.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Golden Goat said:

And for me, that's the issue, and will be till he's fired. I'm not used to this. Never have I despised someone so much in management -- Mets or Bills. Not even close.

Beltran has BVW stank on him now, in addition to "called strike three" stank. It's going to take a lot of winning (and perhaps a gas mask) for me to tolerate the stench.

Brodie had better get it right this off season, and he should at least try to unload some of the baggage he acquired last year. Beltran is now on centre stage, and if he screws up, the fans will remind him in a hurry. Just a video reminder of 2006 should keep him in line! lol!

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, anguskeenan said:

Loved Terry as manager.  The team didn't always win but he was seldom out-managed.   Would be a great bench coach. 

If it happens, it's an odd choice only because I can't think of  a fired manager who came back to the same team as a bench coach.

I had no particular love or hate for Collins as a manager, but he's an old-timer who has managed in the NL and that's pretty much my criteria to be a bench coach so I'd be OK with it. 

As I've probably mentioned in this thread at some point, The thing that REALLY bothered me about Beltran was not the strikeout but when he signed with the Yankees years later.  His first act was to say how the Mets mistreated him despite never actually leading the club to the World Series.  But I mean to be fair I've said some not so kind things about other people before I wished I could take back.  I suppose I can learn to forgive.

However, if memory serves me correct he always had a pretty bland personality as a Met and didn't enjoy talking to the media.  I can't remember any real leadership abilities as well.

Carlos better realize he's the liaison between the front office and the media.  The Wilsons never talk to the media.  Brodie will only show up when it's convenient for him.  He's gonna have to learn to be an extrovert for a quiet kind of guy or he'll get eaten alive and spit right back out.  

As of right now I really don't like this hire.  I wish Mickey was still around if they weren't going to pursue Girardi.  I hope I'm made to look like a fool but this is gonna be as bad a hire as Adam Gase for the Jets 

Edited by Another Fan