Mets fans?

Another Fan

33 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Lol!  

Apparently Bobby Jones had an outing this bad back in September of 1997 but I have no memory of that whatsoever.  There's only been like 5 pitchers ever that didn't give up an out that had 8 plus runs charges 

I was fortunate to miss the Matz debacle this evening. Don't remember the Bobby Jones outing off the top of my head.

I was at Shea to witness David Cone's debut as a starter. Pretty bad but nothing like tonight.

https://www.nytimes.com/1987/04/28/sports/cone-is-rocked-mets-don-t-help.html

• Like (+1) 2

I'm not worried about the rotation; I think they'll be fine.

I am worried about Familia.  I"m hoping it's just the colder temps, but I don't know.  He looks absolutely horrible.

Lastly - I'm hoping someone here can talk me off the ledge on this one - Can Callaway pick a defensive gameplan and stick to it?  McNeil belongs in LF as much as I do.  If Davis can play left, put him out there; but if you want McNeil in the lineup, then you have to put him at 3rd.

He better not even think about putting Todd "Rah Rah" Frazier on the field.  He doesn't owe him anything and - I'm sorry, Todd - but you've been replaced by younger, better players.  

Anyway - pick a lineup and stick to it.  Enough of the platooning bullhsit.  It doesn't fu*king work.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

I'm not worried about the rotation; I think they'll be fine.

I am worried about Familia.  I"m hoping it's just the colder temps, but I don't know.  He looks absolutely horrible.

Lastly - I'm hoping someone here can talk me off the ledge on this one - Can Callaway pick a defensive gameplan and stick to it?  McNeil belongs in LF as much as I do.  If Davis can play left, put him out there; but if you want McNeil in the lineup, then you have to put him at 3rd.

He better not even think about putting Todd "Rah Rah" Frazier on the field.  He doesn't owe him anything and - I'm sorry, Todd - but you've been replaced by younger, better players.  

Anyway - pick a lineup and stick to it.  Enough of the platooning bullhsit.  It doesn't fu*king work.

If Mick had a set..he would have benched Cano today and played Mac at second...just sayin.on the flipside I'm not sure a two day sit would do Cano any good..he stinks bad right now.

Friggin Broxton...right down the pipe.Alonso would have crushed that.

Oh well....two solid in a row for dream wheeler.

14 hours ago, Gugny said:

I was listening to an interview with Van Wagenen on my way home today and with regard to that ledge the best I can do is remind  you that there's more to life than baseball. Go take a walk in the park, smell the flowers, feed the ducks, maybe read a good book...because according to VW, McNeil's role this year will continue to be the jack of all trades.

On the plus side when the Cubs won the WS in 2016:

Kris Bryant started 100 games at 3B, 36 in LF, 12 in RF and  6 at 1B

Ben Zobrist started 113 at 2B, 18 in RF, 11 in LF

Smaller sample size but closer to home, in 1986:

Kevin Mitchell started 26 in LF, 21 in RF, 20 at SS, 6 in CF,  3 at 3B and 1 at 1B

My hope is that by the end of the year McNeil has staked his claim to 3B, until then I want him in the lineup as much as possible.

7 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I was listening to an interview with Van Wagenen on my way home today and with regard to that ledge the best I can do is remind  you that there's more to life than baseball. Go take a walk in the park, smell the flowers, feed the ducks, maybe read a good book...because according to VW, McNeil's role this year will continue to be the jack of all trades.

On the plus side when the Cubs won the WS in 2016:

Kris Bryant started 100 games at 3B, 36 in LF, 12 in RF and  6 at 1B

Ben Zobrist started 113 at 2B, 18 in RF, 11 in LF

Smaller sample size but closer to home, in 1986:

Kevin Mitchell started 26 in LF, 21 in RF, 20 at SS, 6 in CF,  3 at 3B and 1 at 1B

My hope is that by the end of the year McNeil has staked his claim to 3B, until then I want him in the lineup as much as possible.

I'm thinking Gugny wasn't being too literal?

I heard the interview though you were talking about with Francesa.  Driving home from work when it was on so I didn't see any of todays gams.  I mean he said nothing else really that eye opening.  Though I was a little surprised when he said he's very hands on is going to travel with the team all season.  Honestly idk what to make of that.  My instinct says he meddlesome but it's not like I'm there. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

I'm thinking Gugny wasn't being too literal?

I heard the interview though you were talking about with Francesa.  Driving home from work when it was on so I didn't see any of todays gams.  I mean he said nothing else really that eye opening.  Though I was a little surprised when he said he's very hands on is going to travel with the team all season.  Honestly idk what to make of that.  My instinct says he meddlesome but it's not like I'm there. 

Don't forget - Callaway was not Brodie's hire.  My guess is that his "in the weeds" approach is to see what Callaway's got (or not).  I like Mick.  But I'm still far from sold.

1 hour ago, Misterbluesky said:

The organization lied about Jake having a cold/cough.

it's his elbow.

58 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Ugh.  MRI coming.  Son of a biscuit.

According to Mickey they are being overly cautious in sending him for the MRI. Could just be general fatigue. I'll hold out hope that's all it is.

But playing what if,  the team looks good enough to compete this year. Supposedly Gio Gonzalez is about to be cut loose by the Yankees and may be an option to replace Vargas. He'd be a no brainer if DeGrom goes down. But would Brodie push the chips to the middle of the table and bring Keuchel in? His moves so far have been with an eye toward winning this year. I guess it's either that or move Lugo into the rotation and backfill his spot as a reliever. Kimbrel anyone? 

7 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

According to Mickey they are being overly cautious in sending him for the MRI. Could just be general fatigue. I'll hold out hope that's all it is.

But playing what if,  the team looks good enough to compete this year. Supposedly Gio Gonzalez is about to be cut loose by the Yankees and may be an option to replace Vargas. He'd be a no brainer if DeGrom goes down. But would Brodie push the chips to the middle of the table and bring Keuchel in? His moves so far have been with an eye toward winning this year. I guess it's either that or move Lugo into the rotation and backfill his spot as a reliever. Kimbrel anyone? 

Kimbrel should come in just to get rid of Familia.  If deGrom goes down, I'm confident Brodie will find a decent replacement.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Kimbrel should come in just to get rid of Familia.  If deGrom goes down, I'm confident Brodie will find a decent replacement.

It will be interesting to see whether they loosen the purse strings. Gio would come cheap. Keuchel or Kimbrel not so much otherwise they'd be playing.

For the record, another thing I heard Brodie say the other day was he was sticking with Vargas (for now). 

39 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

It will be interesting to see whether they loosen the purse strings. Gio would come cheap. Keuchel or Kimbrel not so much otherwise they'd be playing.

For the record, another thing I heard Brodie say the other day was he was sticking with Vargas (for now). 

Vargas looks good tonight.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Vargas looks good tonight.

A reminder that it's a 162 game season. I can't stand Vargas so I get down on him quickly. With his hat off he looks like a guy that would be in a rock band that I wouldn't like. I'm more tolerant of Familia's sucktitude probably due to a half season of dominance a few years back...but patience is wearing thin.

I'm sure I've quoted this before, but a great paraphrase from Bobby V that was more about team than player but still applies: you're never as bad as you look when things are going bad or as good as you look when things are going good. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

A reminder that it's a 162 game season. I can't stand Vargas so I get down on him quickly. With his hat off he looks like a guy that would be in a rock band that I wouldn't like. I'm more tolerant of Familia's sucktitude probably due to a half season of dominance a few years back...but patience is wearing thin.

I'm sure I've quoted this before, but a great paraphrase from Bobby V that was more about team than player but still applies: you're never as bad as you look when things are going bad or as good as you look when things are going good. 

Such a great quote!!!

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thebiglead.com/2019/04/20/jacob-degrom-update-elbow-injury-mri/amp/

So now he’s throwing?  

I was hoping these communication issues that always seem to surround the Mets were done.  Granted in this day in age with social media news becomes instantaneous whenever somebody looks at somebody the wrong way or farts.  

Still something about all this rubs me the wrong way about how things are run 

As far as today's game...  I listened to some of it.  In general I don't like intentional walking the #8 hitter that early in the game.  That seemed kind of weak.  As it turned out that was a dumb move, especially with the passed ball that happened next.

However, I do believe sometimes it's just not your day.  That seemed to be the case today.  At least it seems Alonso is okay after the foul ball.

On a positive note kudos to MacNeil.  Fastest Met to 100 hits 

3 hours ago, Another Fan said:

As far as today's game...  I listened to some of it.  In general I don't like intentional walking the #8 hitter that early in the game.  That seemed kind of weak.  As it turned out that was a dumb move, especially with the passed ball that happened next.

However, I do believe sometimes it's just not your day.  That seemed to be the case today.  At least it seems Alonso is okay after the foul ball.

On a positive note kudos to MacNeil.  Fastest Met to 100 hits 

When you're swapping out DeGrom for Flexen the day is off to a bad start (pun intended). To your earlier post, the flip-flopping on the MRI makes them look clueless.

Congrats to McNeil. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/17/2019 at 5:45 AM, Gugny said:

'Rah Rah' says hi. ?

Seriously, though, I hope he can become a dependable bat off the bench.

Look at Wheeler putting on a show!

• Like (+1) 2

When the hell is Darling coming back from his Dykstra-itis?  Todd Zeile is absolutely painful.  Not sure why they didn't bring Figgy in.  He does the best job on the postgame shows.

• Haha (+1) 1