Mets fans?

Another Fan

51 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Clearly you've erased any trace of Mel Rojas from your memory.

I hadn't forgotten about him but your little bit about him made me look him up on Ultimate Mets Database.  As it turns out he was who they traded back then for Bobby Bo in 1998.

https://www.nytimes.com/1998/11/12/sports/baseball-mets-take-a-big-step-back-to-the-future.html

Needless to say due to Bobby's contract, the franchise still feels his ghosts!  

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Why the hell did they bring back that choke artist bum?

Worst Met ever.

I will go with Armando Benitez as most disappointing, but I have a limited following of the team

Seriously there have been hundreds of regulars that had no business at all drawing a MLB paycheck in a Mets uniform....

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

I will go with Armando Benitez as most disappointing, but I have a limited following of the team

Seriously there have been hundreds of regulars that had no business at all drawing a MLB paycheck in a Mets uniform....

Armando was actually pretty good overall.  The problem was in big games he always choked.  World Series 2000 Game 1 for an example when he let an injured Paul O'Neill draw a 12 pitch walk off him and then scored the tying run.  

2001 was quite symbolic imo for his tenure as Met.  He was something like 43/44 in save opportunities that year.  Of course in the game that mattered the most against the Braves at the end of that year when the team was making a comeback for 1st place, he couldn't get the save.  

I thought fans were a little hard on him overall but wasn't exactly sad when he got traded to the Yankees of all teams.  

Present day:  a bit concerned about Wheeler.  I thought he finally had it together after last season's 2nd half.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Armando was actually pretty good overall.  The problem was in big games he always choked.  World Series 2000 Game 1 for an example when he let an injured Paul O'Neill draw a 12 pitch walk off him and then scored the tying run.  

2001 was quite symbolic imo for his tenure as Met.  He was something like 43/44 in save opportunities that year.  Of course in the game that mattered the most against the Braves at the end of that year when the team was making a comeback for 1st place, he couldn't get the save.    

Kind of similar to Familia in 2015. Lights out regular season, had his struggles in the World Series. For Familia it was the Alex Gordon HR in the 9th inning of game 1.

But ya know what, it happened to Eckersley against Gibson back in 1988 when Eck had been utterly dominant. I think the modern baseball fan is spoiled by Rivera's remarkable career and the expectations for closers are sometimes unrealistic.

1 hour ago, Golden Goat said:

Rosenthal retires 1st batter, drops ERA to 72.00

Washington Nationals reliever Trevor Rosenthal retired a batter for the first time this season on Wednesday night after allowing the first 10 he faced to reach safely."

?

If Rosenthal goes 8 innings without giving up an earned run he can drop his ERA to 9.00

In similar news , after posting a MLB worst ever batting average of .168 last year, Chris Davis  is on an 0 for 50 run at the plate that stretches back to last year and 0 for 29 this year. If he goes on an 8 for 11 run he still won't be at .168.

And by the way, after 3 starts Matt Harvey's ERA is 10.05

Meanwhile going into last night Pete Alonso was the first rookie since 1900 to have 11 extra base hits in his first 10 games. I thought bringing him up at the start of the season and foregoing a year of contract control was stupid. I'll take a mulligan on that one.

Edited by SinceThe70s
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Great win last night.  Matz looked sharp through 6.  Alonso's HR velocity was 118 MPH; only G. Stanton and A. Judge have faster (it's only been tracked since 2015).  Familia looks like crap, but I enjoy watching Diaz pitch.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

Great win last night.  Matz looked sharp through 6.  Alonso's HR velocity was 118 MPH; only G. Stanton and A. Judge have faster (it's only been tracked since 2015).  Familia looks like crap, but I enjoy watching Diaz pitch.

Matz's changeup is much improved. That Alonso bomb was something else... 118 mph on a line! Hopefully Wheels get it going tonight