Mets fans?

Another Fan

3 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Heart goes out to Tom terrific and his family.

Dementia is a horrible disease 

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

Yup;  that is awful news.

The greatest Met of all time. And whoever is second isn't even close.

I had the good fortune of seeing him a couple of times at Shea and countless times on WOR with Ralph, Lindsey and Murph.

The report I heard is he is retiring from public life. From a strictly selfish standpoint I'd love to give him one last standing O.

19 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

The greatest Met of all time. And whoever is second isn't even close.

I had the good fortune of seeing him a couple of times at Shea and countless times on WOR with Ralph, Lindsey and Murph.

The report I heard is he is retiring from public life. From a strictly selfish standpoint I'd love to give him one last standing O.

You could order a bottle of wine....apparently he makes some high quality stuff!

https://1000corks.com/wine/Seaver-Vineyards

On 2/24/2019 at 7:55 PM, Golden Goat said:

Hit his third knock this afternoon...right now,if I'm Mick..I rotate him and Smith on a daily basis..May the best man win the position.

Also...thankfully,McNeil is going to start seeing time at third.

The spring training giggles,jokes and pranks time is over...the next few weeks are going to fly by..play time in Florida is over.

3 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Hit his third knock this afternoon...right now,if I'm Mick..I rotate him and Smith on a daily basis..May the best man win the position.

Also...thankfully,McNeil is going to start seeing time at third.

The spring training giggles,jokes and pranks time is over...the next few weeks are going to fly by..play time in Florida is over.

I'll be surprised if Alonso is on the opening day roster - whether he deserves to be or not. I'm not sure the exact number of days, but if they keep him off the MLB roster for a few weeks they gain an extra year of contract control. That's become standard operating procedure across the league and makes good business sense.

On 3/5/2019 at 12:19 AM, KD in CA said:

I tended to have a Jekyll/Hyde relationship with him in terms of baseball fandom.  The guy wore his heart on his sleeve as a pitcher and was the ultimate competitor.  That one day playoff against the Reds back in 1999 is one of my favorite Mets memories.  I still think it was funny when Sean Casey looked like he was about to cry at the end of that game.  Yet toward the end of his Mets stay it sounded like he was a bit of a clubhouse lawyer type.  The Zambrano deal he supposedly played a large role in that.

End tangent.  Ancient history though.  Hopefully its a good hire 

7 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I tended to have a Jekyll/Hyde relationship with him in terms of baseball fandom.  The guy wore his heart on his sleeve as a pitcher and was the ultimate competitor.  That one day playoff against the Reds back in 1999 is one of my favorite Mets memories.  I still think it was funny when Sean Casey looked like he was about to cry at the end of that game.  Yet toward the end of his Mets stay it sounded like he was a bit of a clubhouse lawyer type.  The Zambrano deal he supposedly played a large role in that.

End tangent.  Ancient history though.  Hopefully its a good hire 

Same....I remember being so confident going into that game, which is highly unusual considering I've spent my life rooting for the Bills, Mets and Sabres.

The mid-80s teams aside, those late 90s teams are my favorite Mets group.

• Like (+1) 1

I think it was Leiter who didn’t get along with his father and found out after his death thst his father had attended many of his most important games without any contact at all.

Al is still not forgiven by a lot of Jays fans for ditching the team in free agency after given a chance in Toronto. They all knows it’s a business but something still really sticks in the minds of fans to this day about him. 

On 3/9/2019 at 9:24 PM, SinceThe70s said:

I'll be surprised if Alonso is on the opening day roster - whether he deserves to be or not. I'm not sure the exact number of days, but if they keep him off the MLB roster for a few weeks they gain an extra year of contract control. That's become standard operating procedure across the league and makes good business sense.

Van Wagenen has sworn up and down it's not a factor but we all know it is with the Coupons.

FB_IMG_1552063873607.jpg

On 3/11/2019 at 5:07 PM, SmokinES3 said:

Van Wagenen has sworn up and down it's not a factor but we all know it is with the Coupons.

FB_IMG_1552063873607.jpg

The Wilpons are cheap, we all know that and it sucks.

Holding Alonso back for a few weeks to gain an extra year of control has nothing to do with their cheapness. It's the smart move

If VanGameShowHost loses that extra year of control he is an absolute fool. Even more so given the Wilpons cheapness.

11 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

The Wilpons are cheap, we all know that and it sucks.

Holding Alonso back for a few weeks to gain an extra year of control has nothing to do with their cheapness. It's the smart move

If VanGameShowHost loses that extra year of control he is an absolute fool. Even more so given the Wilpons cheapness.

It is only a few weeks? I thought it was longer than that. Smith is hitting also so it could be a bit of a non-issue. 

3 minutes ago, SmokinES3 said:

It is only a few weeks? I thought it was longer than that. Smith is hitting also so it could be a bit of a non-issue. 

A few weeks is what I had read in an article recently.

I just double-checked. 172 days on an active roster counts as a year of service and a regular season consists of 187 days so I guess it's 15 days.

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/service-time

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

A few weeks is what I had read in an article recently.

I just double-checked. 172 days on an active roster counts as a year of service and a regular season consists of 187 days so I guess it's 15 days.

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/service-time

Oh, then that's a non-factor. I wouldn't mind seeing Smith get another shot now that they treated his sleep apnea.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/12/2019 at 8:23 PM, SinceThe70s said:

I've never understood why people act like that was some controversial move. 

• Thank you (+1) 1