Mets fans?

Another Fan

15 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Mets are a physical away from signing ex-Yankee Adeiny Hechevarria to a minor league contract. That would give us a legit backup SS. VW has been pretty thorough attempting to address needs. 

Depth is certainly very important to him.  So far, so good.

This article about DeGrom and a new contract may be behind a fee wall. Basically DeGrom's new agent is making the spring training rounds and the article is speculating on the opening day deadline to extend DeGrom. DeGrom is under control through next year so the deadline is inconsequential to me (a year from now will be a different story).

https://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/jacob-degrom-contract-talks-mets-1.27597420

That connects to a theme Van Wagenen touched on during his first day as Mets GM: Rewarding good players for being good has benefits aside from money. Of all the Mets, deGrom — a home-grown, award-winning star and fan favorite — is a strong choice to turn that into more than just talk. 

“Provide our players with the support and resources they need to succeed,” Van Wagenen said in October. “When they do, recognize their performances and reward their performances.

“This mindset creates a positive culture and positive work environment. As is true in all organizations, good culture yields the best results and increases the probability for success.”

• Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Happy to see you around here again!  I thought a certain GM might have stopped you from posting 

Thanks! I've decided I'm not going to let him ruin this for me. I've been a Mets fan far longer than he's been a GM, and will be long after he's gone.

Don't get me wrong -- I'll continue to poke the voodoo doll every now and again privately. Publicly, he's dead to me. ?

Now... How about Pete FREAKING Alonso??? First pitch of the spring and he hits it out of the deepest part of the park. ?

https://www.mlb.com/video/alonso-s-2-run-home-run-c2522941983?t=most-popular

Edited by Golden Goat
  • Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Golden Goat said:

Thanks! I've decided I'm not going to let him ruin this for me. I've been a Mets fan far longer than he's been a GM, and will be long after he's gone.

Don't get me wrong -- I'll continue to poke the voodoo doll every now and again privately. Publicly, he's dead to me. ?

Now... How about Pete FREAKING Alonso??? First pitch of the spring and he hits it out of the deepest part of the park. ?

https://www.mlb.com/video/alonso-s-2-run-home-run-c2522941983?t=most-popular

First time I ever saw Alonso swing a bat was today when he flicked his wrists and sent one over the right fielders head. Before he hit that pitch I liked his stance and swing. So based on one at bat and his minor league stats I'm optimistic. 

WRT the GM part I:  He needs to get DeGrom signed. Do it now before there's another year of tread off the tire.  A 4 or 5 year deal now is much better than the same next year.

WRT the GM part II: He has all the attributes needed to be a great game show host.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

It pains me to share this, but if the reports are true that Bryce Harper is signing a 13 year deal, when the Harper deal is up the Mets will still be on the hook for the annual Bobby Bonilla payout for four more years.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/28/bryce-harpers-contract-wont-outlast-mets-bobby-bonilla-payments/

The Phillies got hosed, ala Chris Davis/Baltimore. Just a gut feeling.

Edited by Golden Goat
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Golden Goat said:

If I got this right Harper gets the same deal as Machado, 10 years, $300 million. The extra 3 years at $10 million per is Scott Boras doing Scott Boras.

I'm not with you on the Chris Davis comparison - but I hope I'm wrong. I think Harper will put up huge numbers at that ballpark. The guy had a broken bat HR at Citi Field last year. Question is how long he can sustain it.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Golden Goat said:

Yeah I mean I know we get all over the Wilpons for their spending habits or lack there of.

At what point though do you draw the line.  That contract imo Harper got just seems stupid.  Good until 2032! A Rod will look poor compared to these guys in a few years 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Another Fan said:

... At what point though do you draw the line.  That contract imo Harper got just seems stupid...

That's where I'm at. I was dubious at the first $200 million contract. I just don't get a $30 million/year baseball player, regardless of who it is.

For better or worse, we're built to win now with dominant starting and relief pitching. If anyone can shut him down, it's us -- at least on paper.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Golden Goat said:

That's where I'm at. I was dubious at the first $200 million contract. I just don't get a $30 million/year baseball player, regardless of who it is.

For better or worse, we're built to win now with dominant starting and relief pitching. If anyone can shut him down, it's us -- at least on paper.

I also don’t get a 13 year contract.  I guess the Phillies front office is like, we won’t be here in 10 years probably.  Not our problem then!

• Like (+1) 1

And here I was, fully prepared to not hate Harper for the rest of his career in SF.  

Oh well.

On 2/28/2019 at 6:30 PM, SinceThe70s said:

It pains me to share this, but if the reports are true that Bryce Harper is signing a 13 year deal, when the Harper deal is up the Mets will still be on the hook for the annual Bobby Bonilla payout for four more years.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/28/bryce-harpers-contract-wont-outlast-mets-bobby-bonilla-payments/

I just hope I outlast the Bonilla payments.

• Haha (+1) 1