Mets fans?

Another Fan

Just some news about some former Mets:

Wilmer signed a one year with Arizona and Cabbie does the same with the Rangers.I'm surprised Wil passed the physical out there since our medical staff diagnosed him with arthritic knees.

Other than that...nothing going on.

My father had a great line: "Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're an idiot rather than opening it up and removing all doubt".

Today this applies to Jeff Wilpon with regard to not signing Machado or Harper since they have Cespedes on the roster:

“I don’t know how many teams have two $30-million players,” said Wilpon

He doesn't need to look past the NL East to find one:

The Nationals ... will pay Stephen Strasburg $38.8 million and Max Scherzer $37.4 million in 2019.

Reference: https://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/mets-wilpon-van-wagenen-1.26403996

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 5:18 PM, SinceThe70s said:

My father had a great line: "Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're an idiot rather than opening it up and removing all doubt".

Today this applies to Jeff Wilpon with regard to not signing Machado or Harper since they have Cespedes on the roster:

The Nationals ... will pay Stephen Strasburg $38.8 million and Max Scherzer $37.4 million in 2019.

Reference: https://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/mets-wilpon-van-wagenen-1.26403996

I had not heard that quote.  The other night driving home from school I was listening to Steve Somers on WFAN.  Pretty much him and another caller were agreeing VW is being forced to camouflage and come up with creative ways to hide the fact that the Mets are still concerned about payroll.  Now MacNeil is supposed to play in the outfield?

I sorta feel the momentum from the second half of last year is going out the window.  Of course come September I hope to be proven wrong  

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/24/2019 at 8:18 PM, SinceThe70s said:

He's a complete POS and the reason that this franchise will never win on a consistent basis, unfortunately. What this little weasel failed to mention is that they are recouping most of Cespedes' salary via insurance, much like they did with David Wright. That insurance money would offset a lot of what it would cost to sign one of either Machado or Harper. 'Fred and Jeff Coupon' say they want to win but care only about their bottom-line and maximizing their profits. They are an abomination and an affront to long-suffering Met fans everywhere. 

On 1/25/2019 at 2:57 PM, SinceThe70s said:

Just came across this. I don't know anything about this guy, but we got a lefty (Justin Wilson) for the bullpen:

https://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/justin-wilson-contract-mets-bullpen-1.26429678

He's solid and did a good job for the Cubs over the last couple of years. He has a great K per 9 innings ratio but his BB per 9 innings ratio has risen and is a little worrisome. Definitely something to keep an eye on this spring. All in all, a good signing at $5 mil per year for two years. There is no doubt that, on paper, this bullpen is much better than last year's. My biggest concern at this point is the lack of a good stick in CF.

• Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

On the day that the Phillies trade for Realmuto we bring back Mesoraco on a minor league deal. I'm not complaining about either move, but the timing is humorous.

I'll take Mesoraco over Lobaton any day of the week.On a sour note,we let Borenstein walk...he's going to put up some #'s in Wrigley when he gets the call up.

On 1/27/2019 at 7:55 PM, ExWNYer said:

He's a complete POS and the reason that this franchise will never win on a consistent basis, unfortunately. What this little weasel failed to mention is that they are recouping most of Cespedes' salary via insurance, much like they did with David Wright. That insurance money would offset a lot of what it would cost to sign one of either Machado or Harper. 'Fred and Jeff Coupon' say they want to win but care only about their bottom-line and maximizing their profits. They are an abomination and an affront to long-suffering Met fans everywhere. 

As I've said many times before, it's a shame Madoff was caught before he had the chance to suck the Wilpons completely dry.

James Dolan aside, not sure there is a worse owner in sports.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I saw a few clips of Mets warming up today.

Dominic Smith looks like he showed up in shape. I think he has a shot at making the opening day roster. Mets will want to hold back Alonso for a few weeks so they can retain an extra year of contract control.

Saw TJ Rivera too, forgot about him.  His right handed bat could be useful at some point during the season.

On 2/11/2019 at 9:10 PM, SinceThe70s said:

I saw a few clips of Mets warming up today.

Dominic Smith looks like he showed up in shape. I think he has a shot at making the opening day roster.

Great news about Dom.  I can't help but feel that either you, someone else, or I said the same exact thing about Dom last year.

At this point, I think he's "fooled us twice," and I have little-to-no faith in the kid.

That said, if he can be who we thought he was, I'm all for it.  But I truly believe Alonso will be our guy.

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

Great news about Dom.  I can't help but feel that either you, someone else, or I said the same exact thing about Dom last year.

At this point, I think he's "fooled us twice," and I have little-to-no faith in the kid.

That said, if he can be who we thought he was, I'm all for it.  But I truly believe Alonso will be our guy.

Not a good overall sign when my first thought was "Oh good, Dom didn't show up fat!"  

I'm not counting on him either, but as long as he's a Met I'll hope for the best. And that might mean boosting his value so we can get more in a trade.

While we're on first baseman, yesterday I was listening to Mike Francesa on WFAN and he said someone he couldn't reveal told him that Alonso projects as a no-doubt, bonafide MLB power hitter but a butcher at first base.  It's well known that Mike and Omar Minaya are good friends. Mike also likes to tweak the Mets every chance he gets so take it for what it's worth.

31 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Not a good overall sign when my first thought was "Oh good, Dom didn't show up fat!"  

I'm not counting on him either, but as long as he's a Met I'll hope for the best. And that might mean boosting his value so we can get more in a trade.

While we're on first baseman, yesterday I was listening to Mike Francesa on WFAN and he said someone he couldn't reveal told him that Alonso projects as a no-doubt, bonafide MLB power hitter but a butcher at first base.  It's well known that Mike and Omar Minaya are good friends. Mike also likes to tweak the Mets every chance he gets so take it for what it's worth.

Yeah, I don't take what that prick blowhard says seriously.

And how many games are won/lost due to defense at 1B, anyway.  He can suck it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

Garvey,McCovey,Thomas..just a few names that were not good defensively..they turned out to be OK.

7 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Garvey,McCovey,Thomas..just a few names that were not good defensively..they turned out to be OK.

Hey Blue, I get your point, but are you referring to Steve Garvey? Granted I was young, but I don't recall hm being a poor fielder at all. The knock on him was being a right handed first baseman. That Dodger infield with Lopes, Russell and the Penguin was completely solid (albeit not spectacular) across the board.

Regardless, I was just relaying what I heard. I'll reserve judgement on Alonso until I actually see him play.

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

Hey Blue, I get your point, but are you referring to Steve Garvey? Granted I was young, but I don't recall hm being a poor fielder at all. The knock on him was being a right handed first baseman. That Dodger infield with Lopes, Russell and the Penguin was completely solid (albeit not spectacular) across the board.

Regardless, I was just relaying what I heard. I'll reserve judgement on Alonso until I actually see him play.

I hope I'm not losing my marbles...after leaving third base..Garvey won 4 Gold Glove awards.