Mets fans?

Another Fan

1 hour ago, UpstateFinsFan said:

I'm a Mets fan, and every single year I get my hopes up...m

I can't wait for ST ,I'm looking forward to seeing McNeil play the game just like the players did in the early days and the way he did in the second half of '18...he is not bench material.Alonso has me feeling positive at bag one,why they still consider Smith to be option one there right now baffles me.We still need a right handed stick in the OF and another arm in the pen..other than that,we should be set to play some ball....of course,we need to stay healthy.

Welcome to the Mets thread,these cats really know Mets Baseball.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

I started a separate thread, but I'd rather discuss here .... Looks like Dodgers are clearing room for Harper.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25589407/los-angeles-dodgers-trade-matt-kemp-yasiel-puig-alex-wood-cincinnati-reds

Sent Puig, Kemp and Alex Wood to the Reds for Homer Bailey and prospects.

Saw that and thought the same thing about Harper. Not just clearing salary, but space in the OF too. I expect that deal to go down soon.

Reds get two pro bats. Is Wood for Bailey a wash? I honestly don't know much about either.

44 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Harvey gets 1-year $11 million deal with Angels.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25569036/matt-harvey-agrees-los-angeles-angels-deal

Harvey will get paid more than Familia next year. 

Meanwhile Andrew Miller gets $12.5 for two years and either $12 or a $2.5 buyout for the third. Would the Mets have been better off going for that or Familia's $30 over 3? Tough call. I was hoping to still get Miller after Familia signed. Yeah, I know, wishful thinking.

• Like (+1) 1

I wanted Realmuto but not at the cost of both Nimmo AND Conforto and certainly not for Syndergaard. I know Ramos has had a history of injuries but he was my next choice and cost the Mets nothing but money. It just came out today that Grandal reportedly turned down a 4 year, $60 miilion deal from the Mets. He would've cost them a draft choice had he signed. That, coupled with the fact that the Dodgers benched him in the WS and let him walk, makes me glad that he spurned the Mets. LGM!!!

https://larrybrownsports.com/baseball/yasmani-grandal-turned-down-big-offer-mets/478506

https://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articles/yasmani_grandal_reportedly_turned_down_big_offer_from_mets/s1_127_28101044

• Like (+1) 1

Mets and Astros apparently talking about a trade involving Seth Lugo with the Mets receiving prospects to restock the farm. If true, this would not make me happy at all. Especially with none of Houston's top prospects likely to be included in a deal and Lugo under team control through 2022. Lugo has been a beast out of the pen and a very good spot starter. For a team that claims to be in "win now" mode, this would be  a big mistake by the Mets, IMO. I really like their bullpen having Lugo and Gsellman with Familia leading in to Diaz. They still need a good LOOGY out of the pen. Maybe they can get a decent left-handed RP in a deal for backup C Kevin Plawecki who is also rumored to be on the block and garnering some interest.

https://climbingtalshill.com/2018/12/29/astros-working-seth-lugo-trade/

9 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

Mets and Astros apparently talking about a trade involving Seth Lugo with the Mets receiving prospects to restock the farm. If true, this would not make me happy at all. Especially with none of Houston's top prospects likely to be included in a deal and Lugo under team control through 2022. Lugo has been a beast out of the pen and a very good spot starter. For a team that claims to be in "win now" mode, this would be  a big mistake by the Mets, IMO. I really like their bullpen having Lugo and Gsellman with Familia leading in to Diaz. They still need a good LOOGY out of the pen. Maybe they can get a decent left-handed RP in a deal for backup C Kevin Plawecki who is also rumored to be on the block and garnering some interest.

This makes very little sense to me either. He was great out of the pen but I still seem him as a potential starter. At the least he provides some insurance for the rotation if any one goes down. I was a little surprised to see that he's 29, thought he was a bit younger.

13 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

3 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

This makes very little sense to me either. He was great out of the pen but I still seem him as a potential starter. At the least he provides some insurance for the rotation if any one goes down. I was a little surprised to see that he's 29, thought he was a bit younger.

I would rather not lose Lugo unless they have a good plan to replace him.  I agree that he's done will in his bullpen role.  I don't think, however, he's embraced it like Gsellman has.  Could be why they're looking to move him.

Anything we get for Plawecki would be a bonus.  He sucks, IMO.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I would rather not lose Lugo unless they have a good plan to replace him.  I agree that he's done will in his bullpen role.  I don't think, however, he's embraced it like Gsellman has.  Could be why they're looking to move him.

Plawecki: below average catcher, below average hitter without much power. But he makes up for it by being a slow base runner. :)

Good riddance.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Gugny said:

Yeah, Plaw is not great but at least he's usually available to play, unlike d'Arnaud. Having Travis as the backup to Ramos makes me nervous. With the injury histories of WR & TD, we could see Tomas Nido by May...not good. ??

2 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Keon Broxton instead of Adam Jones is a bit of a head scratcher...seems like he got a bit lost inside that loaded Brewers team.

They probably don't like Adam Jones in CF.  It also looks like they aren't counting on Lagares.

3 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

They probably don't like Adam Jones in CF.  It also looks like they aren't counting on Lagares.

I don't think they liked what Jones is asking for? Broxton comes cheap...leads me to believe they are going to spend some serious money on one more arm for the bullpen.

12 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

I don't think they liked what Jones is asking for? Broxton comes cheap...leads me to believe they are going to spend some serious money on one more arm for the bullpen.

I hope you're right. I'd feel better about the bullpen with a proven lefty. I'm skeptical it will happen, but Britton would be a welcome surprise.

Three interesting reliever signings this year:

Familia: 3 years, $30 million

Andrew Miller: 2 years, $25 million

David Robertson: 2 years, $23 million

Miller is coming off an injury but I think we'd better off with him over Familia....even though I liked the Familia signing.

EDIT: add Zach Britton, 3 years, $39 million to the list. 

Edited by SinceThe70s
  • Like (+1) 1

On 12/31/2018 at 1:00 AM, ExWNYer said:

Yeah, Plaw is not great but at least he's usually available to play, unlike d'Arnaud. Having Travis as the backup to Ramos makes me nervous. With the injury histories of WR & TD, we could see Tomas Nido by May...not good. ??

Good point about Plawecki's ability to stay on the field, but VW just sent him to Cleveland for two minor leaguers. For my money, Beef-On-Plawecki never did anything exceptional. At least Travis had a great hitting stretch in 2015 and maybe one other shorter stint in between long stays on the DL.

Mets also traded three minor leaguers for two to the Astros. I'd be interested if anyone has insight on any of the players in the trade. Mets got a guy named J.D. Davis who led the PCL in batting average last year (.342).  My first thought is the guy must have issues of some sort. Trade was Ross Adolph (OF), Luis Santans (IF) and Scott Manea (C) for J.D Davis (IF) and Cody Bohanek (IF).

30 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Good point about Plawecki's ability to stay on the field, but VW just sent him to Cleveland for two minor leaguers. For my money, Beef-On-Plawecki never did anything exceptional. At least Travis had a great hitting stretch in 2015 and maybe one other shorter stint in between long stays on the DL.

Mets also traded three minor leaguers for two to the Astros. I'd be interested if anyone has insight on any of the players in the trade. Mets got a guy named J.D. Davis who led the PCL in batting average last year (.342).  My first thought is the guy must have issues of some sort. Trade was Ross Adolph (OF), Luis Santans (IF) and Scott Manea (C) for J.D Davis (IF) and Cody Bohanek (IF).

I think they see Travis as more of an athlete, more versatile and able to possibly play elsewhere (OF, 1B). And like you said, he's had stretches where he hits, unlike Plaw. The deal with the Indians for Plawecki netted the Mets RHP Walker Lockett and infielder Sam Haggerty. The Indians traded for Lockett this past November ahead of the Rule V draft. They got him from the Padres who needed room on their 40 man roster. Walker is a big guy who, apparently, doesn't throw hard but uses his sinker to his advantage. He was projected as a possible back end starter as early as 2016 but didn't make it to the majors until 2018. Some think that his upside is higher than his numbers might suggest. He's starting pitcher depth for the organization or could have a role as a possible long man.

Here is some analysis on Lockett after his trade from SD to CLE last November: https://www.prospectslive.com/featured-articles/2018/11/21/trade-analysis 

And this one is 20 months old when he was still a Padres prospect but praises his possible upside: https://www.minorleagueball.com/2017/4/21/15383986/san-diego-padres-prospect-walker-lockett

Haggerty is an athletic, switch-hitting infielder with tools who can run and still has options. He might not amount to anything but he's worth keeping an eye on down the line (2020?)...he's listed as a second baseman but he's played some other positions, including some outfield.Could maybe be a backup shortstop.

I was hoping they could get a little better return for Plaw...like a serviceable LOOGY for this season...but we'll see how this pans out...eventually. 

As for the deal with Houston for infielders J.D Davis and Cody Bohanek:

The report on Davis is that he's not much of an OFer...too slow but has a good arm. Can play there in a pinch and he's also done a bit of pitching...if he's not terrible at it, he could serve as an 8th relief pitcher which is intriguing. Reportedly has a plus arm which helps him at 3rd. Quick hands but slow feet and average defense...can play 1B but probably doesn't have the bat to play there. He didn't get much chance with the Astros so there is a bit of the unknown as to what he could become. He had bad numbers last year but it was a small sample size so it's still kind of early to judge. He hit .340 in AAA and has been ranked in Houston's 'Top 10' prospects here and there, depending on who you believe. He has five years of control and two options remaining, which is good. He didn't use any options in 2017 but used one last year. There might be some possible starting 3B upside with him or at least a righty platoon to pair with McNeil, if McNeil moves to 3rd.

Astros GM, Jeff Luhnow, said that they were not planning to part with J.D. Davis but "there was enough of a market for him that we decided to go ahead and explore it because there's no obvious spot for him on our 25-man roster next year, at this point. The Mets were aggressive." He called C Scott Manea "a key piece" to the deal for the Astros who needed catching help/depth. Luhnow also said, "We need more guys. Manea is a guy we think can move pretty quickly and has a chance to be a big league catcher. That was a big part of it for us."

Cody Bohanek will probably be at St. Lucie or Binghamton. He spent some time in AAA for the Astros last year but it was probably just to fill a hole on the roster. It was a mid-season bump from Low A ball to AAA for two weeks, then down to A+. He hit .212 in A+ so the Mets could leave him there for more seasoning. He was drafted in 2017 so, at 23 years old, he's about the right age for A+: https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=bohane000cod&type=bgl&year=2018

The Mets are dealing lower level players for players who might help now and over the next several years and who might also fit their core. It does make me nervous that they are making all of these deals with competent front offices who have run circles around the Mets front office for years. Maybe BVW is finally changing that. I hope so...time will tell.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

And just like that, Plawecki's a former Met. 

The Cleveland Indians sent right-hander Walker Lockett and infielder Sam Haggerty to New York for Plawecki, who played in 78 games -- 64 starts -- for the Mets last season. Plawecki batted .201 with seven homers and a career-high 30 RBIs.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25698675/cleveland-indians-acquire-c-kevin-plawecki-trade-new-york-mets

The Mets made another deal on Sunday, acquiring infielder J.D. Davis and minor league infielder Cody Bohanek from the Houston Astros for outfielder Ross Adolph, infielder Luis Santana and catcher Scott Manea, all minor leaguers.

Davis, 25, has hit five homers with 12 RBIs in 66 major league games with the Astros over the past two years. He won the Pacific Coast League batting title last year, hitting .342 (114-333) with Fresno.

Edited by Gugny

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

And just like that, Plawecki's a former Met. 

The Cleveland Indians sent right-hander Walker Lockett and infielder Sam Haggerty to New York for Plawecki, who played in 78 games -- 64 starts -- for the Mets last season. Plawecki batted .201 with seven homers and a career-high 30 RBIs.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25698675/cleveland-indians-acquire-c-kevin-plawecki-trade-new-york-mets

The Mets made another deal on Sunday, acquiring infielder J.D. Davis and minor league infielder Cody Bohanek from the Houston Astros for outfielder Ross Adolph, infielder Luis Santana and catcher Scott Manea, all minor leaguers.

Davis, 25, has hit five homers with 12 RBIs in 66 major league games with the Astros over the past two years. He won the Pacific Coast League batting title last year, hitting .342 (114-333) with Fresno.

Things keep getting tougher for McNeil to be a key member of this team like he was in the second half of last season.

3 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Things keep getting tougher for McNeil to be a key member of this team like he was in the second half of last season.

These guys might just be trade bait.  McNeil HAS to be on solid footing.