Mets fans?

Another Fan

22 hours ago, Gugny said:

McNeil is most-certainly our 2B of the future.  I really, really wish they'd jettison Dom Smith and bring Alonso up for the rest of the season.  

I would think Smith has some off season trade value because of his age and where he was drafted.On the flipside,I have no idea how his contract was set up...he's listed as TC next year,not arbitration.I'm just guessing, but I think the FO could match his very minimal '18 salary and then dump him in a multi player trade for a pen guy?

Saw the Mets take a 3-0 lead and then flipped over to Jets-Browns. Flipped back to Mets to check the score in time to catch a clip I had never seen before.

The 1969 Mets on the Ed Sullivan show singing "You Gotta Have Heart" from the Broadway show "Damn Yankees". Best part is they didn't use the nickames like Bud Harrelson, Duffy Dyer and J.C. Martin.

For the record I was going on 6 when they won the WS and only have a vague recollection of seeing something good happen for the Mets in the WS on the black and white and then going into the backyard to play because it was too nice to be inside.

Next up on memory lane...

When Gsellman came in tonight he used the Nationals bullpen car and came out to a standing O by the home crowd. The cars are similar to to the Mets baseball bullpen cars from the 70's, but none of the relievers have been using them, thus the standing O.

Got me reminiscing. The Yankees had pinstriped Toyotas to bring in the pitchers. The car would come in from CF and ride the warning track and then follow the dirt perimeter in foul territory. When it made the turn by the foul pole it would get pummeled by beers, sodas, hot dogs, pop corn, etc.. I used to tune in just for the pitching changes, it was a nightly occurrence. What I don't remember is they did it to Yankees too:

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Captain Murica said:

There is some hope for the future. We have a very good young core: Conforto, Nimmo, Rosario, and McNeil. 

Our farm system will be placed in the top 10 soon as cited in this statement here. 

Darn right we have a lot of hope for the future....Do you have the scoop on Alonso...is he going to play for Scottsdale next month?

3 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Darn right we have a lot of hope for the future....Do you have the scoop on Alonso...is he going to play for Scottsdale next month?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.mlb.com/292631492-peter-alonso-will-go-to-afl-instead-of-callup.amp.html

yup, he’s going down there. There is a lot of talk about some of the Mets FO believe he’s a true DH instead of 1b. It’s weird they’re now putting an emphasis on fielding in which they did not do in the past. 

Edited by Captain Murica
  • Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.mlb.com/292631492-peter-alonso-will-go-to-afl-instead-of-callup.amp.html

yup, he’s going down there. There is a lot of talk about some of the Mets FO believe he’s a true DH instead of 1b. It’s weird they’re not putting an emphasis on fielding in which they did not in the past. 

We need a true 1B.  Badly.  Daniel Murphy was a true DH who we turned into a crappy 2B (that helped cost us the World Series).  Enough of this ****, already.  Get a !@#$ing first baseman.

I think as long as Jake gets 10 wins and keeps his ERA below 1.80, he'll win. 13 wins is the fewest for any Cy Young winner.  That's why I think 9 wins will kill it for him.  I think anyone who knows baseball knows he's been the most consistently dominant pitcher in the game, let alone in the NL.  I just think voters will have difficulty voting for him with single digit wins.

I think this is why Callaway took him out after only 98 pitches.  His next start will likely be a complete game in order to bump his ERA down and hopefully not have to rely on the bullpen to save anything for him.

My unbiased opinion - he should be the unanimous choice for the Cy Young.  No one has been nearly as dominant as he has.  This is an individual award and pitchers can't control what happens after they leave the game; nor can they control how much run support they get (to an extent - and Jake has helped his own cause more than once this year).

Jake deserves the Cy Young, period.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/20/2018 at 10:02 PM, SinceThe70s said:

Next up on memory lane...

When Gsellman came in tonight he used the Nationals bullpen car and came out to a standing O by the home crowd. The cars are similar to to the Mets baseball bullpen cars from the 70's, but none of the relievers have been using them, thus the standing O.

Got me reminiscing. The Yankees had pinstriped Toyotas to bring in the pitchers. The car would come in from CF and ride the warning track and then follow the dirt perimeter in foul territory. When it made the turn by the foul pole it would get pummeled by beers, sodas, hot dogs, pop corn, etc.. I used to tune in just for the pitching changes, it was a nightly occurrence. What I don't remember is they did it to Yankees too:

Yes haha!!  I remember watching the infamous George Brett home run game some years back on YouTube.  I never noticed it before but right when Goose came in you can see him pull up in this old Datsun with the Yankee logo. For whatever reason I just could not stop laughing when I saw that!  It’s just like get in their bro! Lol

Also if you’ve seen the movie Major League Jake Taylor drives the bullpen car to try to get back with his ex wife

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

I think as long as Jake gets 10 wins and keeps his ERA below 1.80, he'll win. 13 wins is the fewest for any Cy Young winner.  That's why I think 9 wins will kill it for him.  I think anyone who knows baseball knows he's been the most consistently dominant pitcher in the game, let alone in the NL.  I just think voters will have difficulty voting for him with single digit wins.

I think this is why Callaway took him out after only 98 pitches.  His next start will likely be a complete game in order to bump his ERA down and hopefully not have to rely on the bullpen to save anything for him.

My unbiased opinion - he should be the unanimous choice for the Cy Young.  No one has been nearly as dominant as he has.  This is an individual award and pitchers can't control what happens after they leave the game; nor can they control how much run support they get (to an extent - and Jake has helped his own cause more than once this year).

Jake deserves the Cy Young, period.

I think he deserves it too. There are a

Stat: DeGrom/Scherzer/Nola

WHIP: .95/.917/.983

SO: 251/290/210

IP: 202/213.2/199

Games: 30/32/31

Innings per start: 6.73/6.68/6.42

ERA: 1.78/2.57/2.44

Record: 9-9/17-7/16-5

A lot of people seem to be writing off Nola's chances, I guess based on WHIP and strikeouts. To his credit he pitches in a bandbox.

Scherzer will probably get to 300 strikeouts and that will be hard to ignore, but it really comes down to ERA vs. win-loss record. DeGrom is so far ahead on ERA that he gets my vote. 

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

I think he deserves it too. There are a

Stat: DeGrom/Scherzer/Nola

WHIP: .95/.917/.983

SO: 251/290/210

IP: 202/213.2/199

Games: 30/32/31

Innings per start: 6.73/6.68/6.42

ERA: 1.78/2.57/2.44

Record: 9-9/17-7/16-5

A lot of people seem to be writing off Nola's chances, I guess based on WHIP and strikeouts. To his credit he pitches in a bandbox.

Scherzer will probably get to 300 strikeouts and that will be hard to ignore, but it really comes down to ERA vs. win-loss record. DeGrom is so far ahead on ERA that he gets my vote. 

Thanks for those stats/comparisons.

I think the fact that no one will win 20 games REALLY helps Jake's cause.  If Scherzer led the league in strikeouts and got 20 wins, it would be difficult for him to lose.  But that point is moot.

I think it's a 2-man race, at this point (Jake/Scherzer).

I think Scherzer's ERA being so far above 2 helps a lot.  But if Jake throws a stinker and gets to 2 or higher, I'd have to think Scherzer would win.

Jake's last start is very important.  I think if he gets the win AND keep the ERA below 1.80 ... he's a lock.

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Thanks for those stats/comparisons.

I think the fact that no one will win 20 games REALLY helps Jake's cause.  If Scherzer led the league in strikeouts and got 20 wins, it would be difficult for him to lose.  But that point is moot.

I think it's a 2-man race, at this point (Jake/Scherzer).

I think Scherzer's ERA being so far above 2 helps a lot.  But if Jake throws a stinker and gets to 2 or higher, I'd have to think Scherzer would win.

Jake's last start is very important.  I think if he gets the win AND keep the ERA below 1.80 ... he's a lock.

All valid points I’ll add one more useless one, but might help swing votes to Jake. None of the top 3 are making the playoffs. Sometimes that team stay sways the voters to vote for the individual on a “contending team”. Jake’s performance last night has been status quo for much of the entire season, and it was ridiculously good. 

Just now, Captain Murica said:

All valid points I’ll add one more useless one, but might help swing votes to Jake. None of the top 3 are making the playoffs. Sometimes that team stay sways the voters to vote for the individual on a “contending team”. Jake’s performance last night has been status quo for much of the entire season, and it was ridiculously good. 

That is a fantastic point.

I know this is a separate discussion (and one that I love) - but it's my opinion that an MVP cannot come from a losing team (which is why MLB needs a "Player of the Year" award); the Cy Young is completely different.  It's the best pitcher of the year.

However - I am certain that there are voters who blur the lines between value and dominance.  Your point is solid.

14 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Way to preserve Noah’s effort tonight bullpen. Sigh

Priority number one in the off season but the FA list is not very attractive.Dom Smith should be involved in a trade for a mr arm...I just don't see him fitting in anywhere come next year.

25 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'm mentally preparing myself for Callaway to be back next season.  I hope he's learned from the billions of mistakes he's made with lineup, roster, batting order and pitching management.

https://www.mlb.com/mets/news/mets-anticipate-mickey-callaway-back-in-2019/c-295985988

Disarcina was partly to blame as well....during a pregame interview in St.Louis (Wednesday afternoon)...GD tossed Mick under the bus when he said Mick was consistently coming to him for advice...Mick heard that as he was coming back to the dugout after turning in his card..Callaway... "Let's go,end it,we have a game to play".That's when crap started to go downhill.The positive second half was a cure...I can't wait for March!!!

• Like (+1) 1