Mets fans?

Another Fan

3 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Per Martino....we might be backing out of a Wheeler deal with Milwaukee.Sounds like the Brewers are expecting a gift from us and it's not happening.

On the broadcast last night Gary said that although the Mets were taking phone calls on their starting pitching, they weren't inclined or looking to make a deal.  

The other interesting thing I saw last night is that Kilome was ranked the 10th best prospect in the Phillies system and now he's ranked the 5th best in the Mets system.

This may sound like a really stupid question but do DeGrom's teammates not like him?  Or maybe they somehow feel they can coast when he pitches.  Heck, DeGrom had the most hits of any Mets player last night.

I just don't understand why he never gets run support.  When it's been like that for so long my mind wonders to look a little deeper and question how coincidental it is

24 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Well it may disprove my theory a little today being Wheeler had to drive in his own run to make the difference!

We just don't have the thunder on most days/nights. When does Jake have the same line up behind him? Nimmo doesn't have a ounce of dislike for anything in life for the most part...Evans and McNeil barely know him...Mez and Batista haven't been around him long either.It all comes down to talent and we don't have enough of it to compete offensively every game.JMO,Another Fan.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Another Fan said:

This may sound like a really stupid question but do DeGrom's teammates not like him?  Or maybe they somehow feel they can coast when he pitches.  Heck, DeGrom had the most hits of any Mets player last night.

I just don't understand why he never gets run support.  When it's been like that for so long my mind wonders to look a little deeper and question how coincidental it is

Well speaking of dislike, Trea Turner of the Nats & Jake Newcomb(Braves SP) had racist and homophobic tweets resurface today. Not a good look. 

11 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Well it may disprove my theory a little today being Wheeler had to drive in his own run to make the difference!

At the end of the game yesterday Gary mentioned this amazing factoid.

The last time the Mets won a 1-0 game in Pittsburgh with the pitcher knocking in the only run was 1969.  And it happened twice in the same day.  Koosman knocked in the run in the first game of the double-header. Not sure who got the RBI in the nightcap.

On 7/30/2018 at 8:58 AM, SinceThe70s said:

At the end of the game yesterday Gary mentioned this amazing factoid.

The last time the Mets won a 1-0 game in Pittsburgh with the pitcher knocking in the only run was 1969.  And it happened twice in the same day.  Koosman knocked in the run in the first game of the double-header. Not sure who got the RBI in the nightcap.

Don Cardwell, they rested Clemente for the 2nd game....

https://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1969/B09122PIT1969.htm

Edited by row_33
  • Thank you (+1) 1

For some more positive news; MLB.com has updated their top 100 prospect list. The Mets have currently 4 with in that list. So, it shows the farm system isn’t complete trash. They come in repsectively at 60,64,68, and 99. Including Kelenic whom we just drafted earlier this year. 

cut.jpg

SS
    Team: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (AA) ETA: 2020 Position: SSAge: 19 DOB: 09/04/1998 Bats: L Throws: RHeight: 5' 11" Weight: 161 lb. Signed: July 2, 2015 - NYMOther Lists: Top 30 New York Mets Prospects (#1)Top 10 SS Prospects (#8)
    Watch

Scouting grades: Hit: 60 | Power: 35 | Run: 55 | Arm: 60 | Field: 60 | Overall: 55

Ranked No. 19 on MLB Pipeline's Top 30 international prospects list in 2015, Gimenez signed with the Mets that July for $1.2 million. His pro debut in the Dominican Summer League, where the infielder led the circuit in on-base percentage and finished second in batting average and third in OPS, gave the Mets confidence to leap him all the way up to the full-season South Atlantic League for his United States debut in 2017. He more than held his own as one of the youngest position players in the league.

Gimenez has an advanced approach at the plate that belies his age and experience. He works counts and draws walks while making consistent hard contact with a simple and quick swing from the left side of the plate. Gimenez needs to continue to add strength, and while over-the-fence power will likely never be a huge part of his game, he should mature into impacting the ball more with extra-base authority, eventually becoming a plus hitter. He has above-average speed at present, which helps him on the basepaths and in the field. He has the arm, hands and range to play shortstop long-term and his makeup should allow him to maximize his tools.

Now on a faster track because of the aggressive promotion in 2017, Gimenez's skills and maturity should allow him to keep streaking up the system. The Mets obviously have Amed Rosario at short in New York, and while the organization doesn't have to worry about it just yet, no one worries about Gimenez's ability to slide to second base if needed.

cut.jpg

1B
    Team: Las Vegas 51s (AAA) ETA: 2019 Position: 1BAge: 23 DOB: 12/07/1994 Bats: R Throws: RHeight: 6' 3" Weight: 245 lb. Drafted: 2016, 2nd (64) - NYMOther Lists: Top 30 New York Mets Prospects (#2)Top 10 1B Prospects (#2)
    Watch
    Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 55 | Run: 30 | Arm: 50 | Field: 45 | Overall: 55

A starter throughout his three-year career at the University of Florida, Alonso finally started tapping into his considerable raw power during his junior year in 2016 en route to becoming a second-round pick in that June's Draft. The power has carried over as a pro and he reached Double-A in his first full season of pro ball despite missing six weeks with a broken hand.

Alonso made some mechanical adjustments during that junior year at Florida, and the shorter swing he used has continued to serve him well. No longer are people as concerned about his hit tool and whether he'll be able to tap into that raw power. He has kept his strikeout rate low and has used the entire field more effectively while making good adjustments. Despite the missed time, he still finished second in the organization in home runs and slugging percentage in 2017. A well below-average runner, Alonso is limited to first base and struggled there at times defensively, though the Mets think he'll be capable there.

At his position, there's more pressure on his bat from the right side of the plate. The good news is it looks more and more like he has the tools to hit enough to be an everyday player there, even if he's looking at Dominic Smith ahead of him on the depth chart currently.

cut.jpg

OF
    Team: Kingsport Mets (ROK) ETA: 2022 Position: OFAge: 19 DOB: 07/16/1999 Bats: L Throws: LHeight: 6' 1" Weight: 196 lb. Drafted: 2018, 1st (6) - NYMOther Lists: Top 30 New York Mets Prospects (#3)
    Watch

Scouting grades: Hit: 60 | Power: 50 | Run: 55 | Arm: 60 | Field: 50 | Overall: 55

One of the top pure hitters in the 2018 Draft class, especially among the high school set, Kelenic was one of the best bats for the U.S. national 18-and-under team for two years in a row. A no-doubt first-rounder as the spring started, his name started popping up in top-10 pick conversations and he became the first Wisconsin product to go that high when the Mets took him No. 6 overall, signing him for more than a million under pick value.

Kelenic has a tremendous feel for hitting from the left side of the plate, showing a professional approach and the ability to barrel up the baseball. He has solid raw power and above-average speed, giving him the ability to impact the game in a number of ways. Kelenic played center field in high school, and the Mets sent him out in that spot during his pro debut, but scouts weren't sure he'd be able to stick there long-term. He does have the arm strength to handle right field should a move be in his future.

Kelenic gets as high marks for his work ethic and attitude as he does for his physical gifts. He made quick work of the Gulf Coast League and earned a bump up to the Appalachian League during his summer debut, perhaps a sign he could be an advanced high school bat that can move a little more quickly.

cut.jpg

RHP
    Team: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (AA) ETA: 2019Position: RHP Age: 22 DOB: 09/22/1995 Bats: R Throws: RHeight: 6' 2" Weight: 185 lb. Drafted: 2016, 1st (19) - NYMOther Lists: Top 30 New York Mets Prospects (#4)
    Watch

Scouting grades: Fastball: 60 | Slider: 55 | Curveball: 50 | Changeup: 45 | Control: 45 | Overall: 55

Dunn spent most of his time at Boston College as a reliever, albeit one with multiple pitches. A move to the rotation during his junior season greatly improved his Draft stock, landing him in the first round where the Mets nabbed him with the No. 19 pick in the 2016 Draft. After a solid summer debut, the Mets sent Dunn straight to the Class A Advanced Florida State League for his first full season and he struggled a bit there, finishing the final month of the season on the disabled list. He bounced back with a strong 2018 season, pitching his way to Double-A.

Even when he struggled, Dunn was just fine pure stuff-wise. His fastball was consistently in the 93-95 mph range and he was able to reach back for more on occasion. His slider can serve as a true out pitch, flashing plus with good late bite. As a reliever, he hadn't worked on his changeup much, and it's behind the other two pitches, but he does show feel for it. He'll need it to get lefties out, something he's made some progress with. Dunn is athletic and repeats his delivery fairly well, but he has had some command and control issues.

A certain learning curve was to be expected, given Dunn's lack of starting experience, though being shut down at the end of his first season didn't help quiet detractors who worried about his size and durability. He answered some of those questions with his strong 2018 campaign, showing he has the stuff, and stamina, to start.

Edited by Captain Murica

Rushed home to watch this crap?

—————

road trip a few years ago to see the Jays at Cincy, both games the Reds staked out early 8-0 leads, Jays came back to win the first but no dice in the second

Edited by row_33

First three pitchers for the Mets had the following ERA for the game:

Matz: 94.03

Rhame: 27.00

Petersen: 20.77

Conclusion: we're trending in the right direction.

EDIT: jumped the gun:

Bashlor: 40.30

Edited by SinceThe70s
  • Haha (+1) 1

The Chargers and Saints games last year I think were the only Bills game we lost by more points then the Mets did runs tonight.

Maybe I’m more of a Bills fan because those losses depressed/pissed me off more.  Or I’m just numb at this point 

5 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

The Chargers and Saints games last year I think were the only Bills game we lost by more points then the Mets did runs tonight.

Maybe I’m more of a Bills fan because those losses depressed/pissed me off more.  Or I’m just numb at this point 

My son just pointed out that it's been a historical year for the Mets. They opened the season with their best start ever and now they have their most lopsided defeat ever.

On another note I always find it interesting when player positions pitch.

I still never forget the night in 2001 when Desi Relaford came in.  I mean he hit 90 on the gun and got the side out 1,2,3.  I still to this day always wanted to see him get a little more pitching opportunities.  

Roberto Alomar I think eventually replaced Desi the next year.  Still one of the biggest disappointments in terms of players I had expectations for here 

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

I still never forget the night in 2001 when Desi Relaford came in.  I mean he hit 90 on the gun and got the side out 1,2,3.  I still to this day always wanted to see him get a little more pitching opportunities.  

Roberto Alomar I think eventually replaced Desi the next year.  Still one of the biggest disappointments in terms of players I had expectations for here 

I actually said to myself, "at least Valentine would have made this fun."  Then Callaway put Reyes in.

Best move he's made since April.

Can't fire his sorry ass soon enough.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Gotta stop hoping worn out Blue Jays greats can bail the Mets out.