Mets fans?

Another Fan

3 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

The league is increasingly trending toward the three outcome at bat: HR, strikeout and walk. It absolutely wrecks our good friend Keith which helps make him a great listen.

Exactly.  And it's all about money.

The latest MLB resurgence came from Sosa/McGuire.

MLB wants more home runs and shorter games; this is because there are more casual fans than real fans - by a long shot.  It's a shame. 

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Exactly.  And it's all about money.

The latest MLB resurgence came from Sosa/McGuire.

MLB wants more home runs and shorter games; this is because there are more casual fans than real fans - by a long shot.  It's a shame. 

Now you've hit a raw nerve for me...shorter games. If they want to shorten the games ( I am perfectly fine with 3 hours...the 4 hour playoff games not so much), keep the batters in the batters box, make the pitchers throw pitches. I hate the idea of a pitch clock and we're too sensitive a society to allow the umps to dictate the pace of play by calling a ball or strike on the player delaying the game.

What really grinds my gears is the intentional walk. In this day and age the intentional walk is exceedingly rare, yet to "speed up" the game they came up with the no-pitch walk. Took away actual play but didn't shorten games in any meaningful ways.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Now you've hit a raw nerve for me...shorter games. If they want to shorten the games ( I am perfectly fine with 3 hours...the 4 hour playoff games not so much), keep the batters in the batters box, make the pitchers throw pitches. I hate the idea of a pitch clock and we're too sensitive a society to allow the umps to dictate the pace of play by calling a ball or strike on the player delaying the game.

What really grinds my gears is the intentional walk. In this day and age the intentional walk is exceedingly rare, yet to "speed up" the game they came up with the no-pitch walk. Took away actual play but didn't shorten games in any meaningful ways.

The no pitch walk makes sense to me, simply because WITH the 4-pitch intentional walk, it hardly ever resulted in anything other than the batter ending up on first base.  But yes ... I agree; not a huge time saver.

Limited mound visits is another change I was fine with.

Instant replay ADDS time to the games.  I think instant replay should only confirm HR/no HR; or foul/fair.  That's it.  I love the human element of umpiring and think most are very good.

But I'm not up in arms about the current replay system; I just think that, if shortening games is the goal, they should limit the replay scenarios.

I will tell you two things that will really piss me off:  1) electronic strike zone and 2) implementing the DH in the National League.

33 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The no pitch walk makes sense to me, simply because WITH the 4-pitch intentional walk, it hardly ever resulted in anything other than the batter ending up on first base.  But yes ... I agree; not a huge time saver.

Limited mound visits is another change I was fine with.

Instant replay ADDS time to the games.  I think instant replay should only confirm HR/no HR; or foul/fair.  That's it.  I love the human element of umpiring and think most are very good.

But I'm not up in arms about the current replay system; I just think that, if shortening games is the goal, they should limit the replay scenarios.

I will tell you two things that will really piss me off:  1) electronic strike zone and 2) implementing the DH in the National League.

Great points, I pretty much agree with all of this. What worries me about the intentional walks is the next logical step. On a HR over the wall the batters and runners just return to the dugout and don't have to touch the bases. I saw that in softball and was appalled.

Instant replay does add time, but pace of play is the bigger issue. The batter shouldn't have to scratch his balls in between every pitch. Limiting mound visits made a lot of sense, I think that gets really bad in the playoffs.

And yes yes yes on the human element of umpiring. Having a close call go the wrong way is a part of the game that I have no issue with. Replay should only be to fix the blatant missed call..unfortunately that cat is out of the bag.

Just now, SinceThe70s said:

Great points, I pretty much agree with all of this. What worries me about the intentional walks is the next logical step. On a HR over the wall the batters and runners just return to the dugout and don't have to touch the bases. I saw that in softball and was appalled.

Instant replay does add time, but pace of play is the bigger issue. The batter shouldn't have to scratch his balls in between every pitch. Limiting mound visits made a lot of sense, I think that gets really bad in the playoffs.

And yes yes yes on the human element of umpiring. Having a close call go the wrong way is a part of the game that I have no issue with. Replay should only be to fix the blatant missed call..unfortunately that cat is out of the bag.

My mom told me one of the Yankees got fined for taking too much time between pitches whilst batting.  Oddly enough, there was no bigger time waster between pitches than Derek Jeter.  Undid, redid both batting gloves between every pitch, in every at bat.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

The least agita in a win since April I guess. The 11-2 opening seems so long ago.  Taking a 4 game series from the Nats though is always nice 

Wheeler looked sharp. Need to jack up his value as much as possible before the end of the month.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Golden Goat said:

Wheeler looked sharp. Need to jack up his value as much as possible before the end of the month.

So you're ready to dump him? He's been pitching well and is probably at his peak value for trading at a great time to make a trade.  But, I'm more about hoarding the young arms.

Curious what folks think Wheeler could bring back in a trade. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

So you're ready to dump him? He's been pitching well and is probably at his peak value for trading at a great time to make a trade.  But, I'm more about hoarding the young arms.

Dump? No way. Here's what Callaway said today, and I think it's dead on:

“He’s a very valuable asset. If you trade him, it really has to be worth it. The adjustments he’s made, I feel like they are going to stick."

Just too many holes to fill to stay stacked in one position, in my opinion. While he's gotten a lot better, you're right -- his trade value is higher than ever. If, for example, we can get a good, young 3B prospect -- I do it. I feel we need someone out there contributing every day with as bad as our offense has been. I'm not of the "burn it down" mindset, but a shakeup here or there couldn't hurt.

I'll start thinking of some plausible names/trades.

13 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

If he can get to the trade deadline with no stinkers, I think the Mets are in a position to get a package that includes a top young prospect.  I don't think he's going to get the Mets a top current starter (pitcher or position player).  And I'm sick of them getting old asses.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

If he can get to the trade deadline with no stinkers, I think the Mets are in a position to get a package that includes a top young prospect.  I don't think he's going to get the Mets a top current starter (pitcher or position player).  And I'm sick of them getting old asses.

Vargas is owed 8 mill next year..ouch.

12 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

The explanation point to the end of the first half, Daniel Murphy gets the game winning hit today.

I imagine changes are upcoming, I mean I would imagine 

Mets finished the second half 7-7. Sad to say that's mildly encouraging after the 11-1 start and what happened in the interim.

Players will be moved, no doubt. Asdrubal and Jeurys feel like they are as good as gone. I'm skeptical that DeGrom and Thor will be moved, but you just never know. Wheeler feels like the wild card. I'm probably gun-shy after Justin Turner and Daniel Murphy but Wheeler and Wilmer are the most obvious candidates for the next guys we give up on before their time.

19 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

This shows the type of power the kid has. I’m excited about his future. 

I just came across this article about players in the futures game and how many of them understand they may be moved in the next two weeks. Interesting perspective.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/24107719/futures-game-showcase-potential-manny-machado-trade-chips

3 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Mets finished the second half 7-7. Sad to say that's mildly encouraging after the 11-1 start and what happened in the interim.

Players will be moved, no doubt. Asdrubal and Jeurys feel like they are as good as gone. I'm skeptical that DeGrom and Thor will be moved, but you just never know. Wheeler feels like the wild card. I'm probably gun-shy after Justin Turner and Daniel Murphy but Wheeler and Wilmer are the most obvious candidates for the next guys we give up on before their time.

Wheeler, I get.  Wilmer, I hope they think long and hard.

The sooner they get rid of Familia, the better, IMO.  And I love Cabrera, but it makes good business sense to trade him.

I hope they keep Jake, Thor, Matz, Gsellman and Lugo.

• Like (+1) 1