Mets fans?

Another Fan

6 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

You can't call Gagnon a kid,he's 28. He's seen a lot of highway through bus windows.

Looks like he's destined for more rides on the bus.

A cheap shot on my part...anyone who gets to put on a MLB uniform has accomplished something that most never will... but this is getting tiresome. As my son pointed out, this looks like a September roster. 

And WTF is up with Cespedes? I can't think of a superstar power hitter that has missed as much time as he has due to leg muscles. Has he even been diagnosed with a pull or a tear?

13 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

And WTF is up with Cespedes? I can't think of a superstar power hitter that has missed as much time as he has due to leg muscles. Has he even been diagnosed with a pull or a tear?

For all we know,he might in his multi million dollar home in Cuba.It was very odd for him not to be with the team when we were in Miami...not one reporter has witnessed a sighting of him after he was shut down in Vegas...red flag! Cespedes is looking like our next David Wright.

3 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

For all we know,he might in his multi million dollar home in Cuba.It was very odd for him not to be with the team when we were in Miami...not one reporter has witnessed a sighting of him after he was shut down in Vegas...red flag! Cespedes is looking like our next David Wright.

Not sure how far you're taking that. My opinion on DW is that his back issues are legit (anyone remember when back issues scuttled Don Mattinglys career). They came at a bad time from a contract standpoint and now both DW and the Mets are letting it play out since insurance is covering the majority of the contract. 

What I hadn't considered until your post is whether insurance is playing into the Cespedes situation. I wonder how much of the season he has to miss before insurance kicks in. I'm skeptical that's what's going on and not prone to conspiracy theories, but it's worth considering given the Wilpons thrifty nature.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Looks like he's destined for more rides on the bus.

A cheap shot on my part...anyone who gets to put on a MLB uniform has accomplished something that most never will... but this is getting tiresome. As my son pointed out, this looks like a September roster. 

25 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

4 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Not sure how far you're taking that. My opinion on DW is that his back issues are legit (anyone remember when back issues scuttled Don Mattinglys career). They came at a bad time from a contract standpoint and now both DW and the Mets are letting it play out since insurance is covering the majority of the contract. 

What I hadn't considered until your post is whether insurance is playing into the Cespedes situation. I wonder how much of the season he has to miss before insurance kicks in. I'm skeptical that's what's going on and not prone to conspiracy theories, but it's worth considering given the Wilpons thrifty nature.

What we're seeing with Cespedes is the classic body breakdown after years of steroids.  He's done.

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

What we're seeing with Cespedes is the classic body breakdown after years of steroids.  He's done.

Hadn't considered that either. Is there a comparable guy whose legs broke down? He still looks strong as an ox, just can't run. 

25 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I'm well aware of the Wright insurance policy...we can step it up a notch and bring up the fact of the family claiming his salary on the team's payroll.I'm no legal guy and I don't want toss the ownership under the bus...but 2+2 in the end... isn't 5.

If you were watching tonight you already know this.

DeGrom and Gooden are tied for best ERA for a Mets pitcher at the All Star break at 1.68. Well sort of...Gooden edges out Jake 1.677 to 1.678. 

Gooden did it 1985. If you weren't around to see it, the buzz at Shea every time he pitched that year was unforgettable.

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

If you were watching tonight you already know this.

DeGrom and Gooden are tied for best ERA for a Mets pitcher at the All Star break at 1.68. Well sort of...Gooden edges out Jake 1.677 to 1.678. 

Gooden did it 1985. If you weren't around to see it, the buzz at Shea every time he pitched that year was unforgettable.

Doc's run is what made hanging Ks from the outfield, "the thing to do."  I wasn't there, but I was watching!

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Doc's run is what made hanging Ks from the outfield, "the thing to do."  I wasn't there, but I was watching!

Yup, the K Corner was born.  In '85 we ponied up the cash for box seats to watch Dwight lay waste to the Pirates. They never stood a chance and the stadium was electric. Can't remember Shea or Citi rocking like that for a mid-season game except for Subway Series games.

Local radio station made a great comparison today between DeGrom's season and Craig Swan's in 1978 when he went 9-6 and led the NL with a 2.43 ERA for the last place Mets.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Nice job Nimmo! His development has at least been one thing nice about this year 

I like what he said when they interviewed him after the HR... thanking the fans for coming out and still supporting the Mets. I talked with Brandon for a little while at spring practice this February and the year before. Super nice guy! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Yup, the K Corner was born.  In '85 we ponied up the cash for box seats to watch Dwight lay waste to the Pirates. They never stood a chance and the stadium was electric. Can't remember Shea or Citi rocking like that for a mid-season game except for Subway Series games.

Local radio station made a great comparison today between DeGrom's season and Craig Swan's in 1978 when he went 9-6 and led the NL with a 2.43 ERA for the last place Mets.

Swan was awesome. Still remember him. And Skip Lockwood a close second fav.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Captain Murica said:

I've been watching his numbers all year...he sure isn't skipping a beat after he went west from B-ton.Hey..his young body will give us some much needed range on that side...nothing against Cabbie..but the time is right..Cab aged this year (fielding).

Edited by Misterbluesky

Calloway just made post-game comments that he likes playing Rosario 5 games a week and using the other two days to work with coaches on his game

Which reminded me of this article that I don't think I posted questioning the Mets player development:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-sports-alderson-backman-mets-development-harper-20180625-story.html

So the Major Leagues has become on the job training?

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

Calloway just made post-game comments that he likes playing Rosario 5 games a week and using the other two days to work with coaches on his game

Which reminded me of this article that I don't think I posted questioning the Mets player development:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-sports-alderson-backman-mets-development-harper-20180625-story.html

So the Major Leagues has become on the job training?

This is his way of calling out the Mets' minor league system.  He may be onto something, actually.  Or he could be deflecting.  I think it's a little of both.

This first came to light when he didn't let Dom Smith bunt because he'd never done it at a major league level.  I agree, that's a problem.  Small ball - in my opinion - is the best baseball.  Players need to be able to do things like bunt in crucial situations.

That said, Callaway has no idea how to put a lineup, or a batting order, together, so that's more on him than it is the Mets' minor league teams.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

This is his way of calling out the Mets' minor league system.  He may be onto something, actually.  Or he could be deflecting.  I think it's a little of both.

This first came to light when he didn't let Dom Smith bunt because he'd never done it at a major league level.  I agree, that's a problem.  Small ball - in my opinion - is the best baseball.  Players need to be able to do things like bunt in crucial situations.

That said, Callaway has no idea how to put a lineup, or a batting order, together, so that's more on him than it is the Mets' minor league teams.

I'm not sticking up for Callaway, until further notice I think he's in way over his head.

When I first read the Daily News article I was skeptical because it relied on Wally Backman's quotes and he might have an axe to grind.  For sure Callaway could be deflecting but after hearing his Rosario comments, maybe there's something to the Daily News article. 

I totally agree on your small ball comments. There are only a handful of players on any roster that I'll give a pass to if they can't lay down a bunt: mostly sluggers and closers.  Kind of scary if they have to teach fundamentals at AAA and above. The league is increasingly trending toward the three outcome at bat: HR, strikeout and walk. It absolutely wrecks our good friend Keith which helps make him a great listen.