Mets fans?

Another Fan

3 hours ago, Another Fan said:

It's at the point now I just laughed at that grand slam.  Though I do feel bad for Wheeler as his first 5 innings were solid.

So I read an article that said Sandy thinks the team is in between sellers and buyers and is gonna see how it plays out until the deadline.  It's like they still think this can be turned around.  I'm sure he'll do something.  Kind of at the point hoping they don't win a game until the trade deadline.  Then maybe it will get through to blow up the core "whatever the core is".

I don't think you need to hope too much, or light candles, or anything.  They've got the whole losing thing down.

Callaway needs to be fired yesterday.  Then trade all the old players and injury prone players ... which would include Thor, unfortunately.  Although, he might be damaged goods at this point.

Anyway ...scorched earth.  Beginning with Mick.  He sucks and the team sucks as bad as they do because of him.  I am convinced.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I don't think you need to hope too much, or light candles, or anything.  They've got the whole losing thing down.

Callaway needs to be fired yesterday.  Then trade all the old players and injury prone players ... which would include Thor, unfortunately.  Although, he might be damaged goods at this point.

Anyway ...scorched earth.  Beginning with Mick.  He sucks and the team sucks as bad as they do because of him.  I am convinced.

I'm as upset as anyone at the state of this team, but the notion that trading Thor somehow makes things better makes no sense to me. He's young, under contract control and dominant when healthy. Where's the guarantee that the haul that comes back for him becomes dominant and remains injury free?  Bird in the hand.

A starting rotation of Jake/Thor/Matz/Wheeler/Lugo looks pretty good to me. Overall, I like what I've seen from the bottom 3 this year, just gotta get Thor back. This isn't Tommy John surgery.

But as much as I'm a "stay the course" person, I'd have no issues if they dumped Calloway. Looks like he's in over his head.

9 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

I'm as upset as anyone at the state of this team, but the notion that trading Thor somehow makes things better makes no sense to me. He's young, under contract control and dominant when healthy. Where's the guarantee that the haul that comes back for him becomes dominant and remains injury free?  Bird in the hand.

A starting rotation of Jake/Thor/Matz/Wheeler/Lugo looks pretty good to me. Overall, I like what I've seen from the bottom 3 this year, just gotta get Thor back. This isn't Tommy John surgery.

But as much as I'm a "stay the course" person, I'd have no issues if they dumped Calloway. Looks like he's in over his head.

My prediction:  Thor's career will be over in 3 years or less and his production will trend downward until he's done.

And he is one of my favorite Mets.  Hell, my son and I will both be wearing Syndergaard t-shirts when we attend the game later this summer.

I'd rather get rid of Callaway than trade any of our young players - and see how another manager makes this team play.

But on the other hand, I recognize that this is a team with a lot of holes and no a very strong farm system.  So a true rebuild is something I would understand.

5 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Sounds like he's ready. Bring him up!

It’d be nice to have prospect come up after a year or so in the minors. The Nats just brought up Soto last month and he’s only 19, but crushing it. 

Edited by Captain Murica

Did you guys catch how much the ball knuckled on Nimmo's triple? I gotta see that again.

Another freaking aggravating  game. My youngest called it. Before the game I said that DeGrom would give up 2 through 7, the Mets would get an 8th inning HR and we'd lose 2-1. My eldest had the Mets tying it at 2 in the bottom of the 8th and giving up the winning HR on the first pitch in the top of the 9th. My youngest had it tied late with the Mets getting blasted after they pulled DeGrom and losing 8-2. 

EDIT: Shazbot! 8-3.

Edited by SinceThe70s

21 hours ago, Gugny said:

Yeah agree on Calloway.  I might be mistaken but I thought he was sold as a young fiery guy who wouldn't be accepting of a country club type atmosphere.  Gave him the benefit of the doubt too long.  Art Howe would have even fared much better with this group. 

1 minute ago, Another Fan said:

Yeah agree on Calloway.  I might be mistaken but I thought he was sold as a young fiery guy who wouldn't be accepting of a country club type atmosphere.  Gave him the benefit of the doubt too long.  Art Howe would have even fared much better with this group. 

I saw him clapping when Frazier got his knees buckled on a fastball down the middle with one out and Nimmo on 3rd. Clapping? WTF?

Vargas to DL again with a calf.

It doesn't stop.

Callaway's post-game presser is pathetic.  This dude is not a MLB manager.  Not by any stretch.  Nice guy.  But he's no manager.

Ugh.

This game was frustrating. The futility the Mets continue to show with runners in scoring position and less than 2 outs is amazing. This team has to have one of the lowest baseball IQs collective I’ve seen in a long time. The situational hitting is an actual joke. They can’t even manage a fly ball... 

Part of me doesn't want him called up until Callaway is out.  The morale on this team is the lowest I think I've ever seen it.  I'd be cautious about exposing young players to that atmosphere.

Look at Conforto's defiant response to the media when the topic of going to Vegas was brought up a couple weeks ago.  I said then and I'll say it again - it was like reading a Matt Harvey quote.

Negativity and crappy attitudes are contagious.  

On a sidenote - I know Dom Smith didn't do himself any favors last year, but he came to camp this year in shape and - from what I can see - the kid wants to play and has the ability to do so.  I think Callaway is ruining him and it's a Goddamn shame.  Who the !@#$ puts that kid in LF?  Seriously.

Get Mick out.  Dump the old players (not including Matz, Thor, Jake, Gsellman).  Hire a manager with experience and start letting the young guys play AT THEIR POSITIONS.

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Part of me doesn't want him called up until Callaway is out.  The morale on this team is the lowest I think I've ever seen it.  I'd be cautious about exposing young players to that atmosphere.

Look at Conforto's defiant response to the media when the topic of going to Vegas was brought up a couple weeks ago.  I said then and I'll say it again - it was like reading a Matt Harvey quote.

Negativity and crappy attitudes are contagious.  

On a sidenote - I know Dom Smith didn't do himself any favors last year, but he came to camp this year in shape and - from what I can see - the kid wants to play and has the ability to do so.  I think Callaway is ruining him and it's a Goddamn shame.  Who the !@#$ puts that kid in LF?  Seriously.

Get Mick out.  Dump the old players (not including Matz, Thor, Jake, Gsellman).  Hire a manager with experience and start letting the young guys play AT THEIR POSITIONS.

Mets have a long history of playing guys out of position. I  don't think it every really worked, but I could come up with a long list of failures. How about HoJo at SS. 

5 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Mets have a long history of playing guys out of position. I  don't think it every really worked, but I could come up with a long list of failures. How about HoJo at SS. 

Yup.  Piazza, Murphy, Bruce, Reyes came to mind.

For giggles, I googled it and found this ... http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/wilmer-flores-mets-played-position-article-1.2551542

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

I assume you mean Reyes at third.  How about when they moved Reyes to second to make room for Kaz Matsui?

I was thinking of third and, my God, I haven't heard Kaz Matsui's name in a dog's age!

3 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

The one that stands out to me is Todd Hundley in left field.  But in that case they just got Piazza so they were trying to make it work. 

I do think Mike was never really warmly received here at first because of how popular Todd was at the time.  Ultimately turned out worth it though