Mets fans?

Another Fan

9 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Didn't see this one coming. Minaya back in the fold:

https://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/omar-minaya-return-1.15557171

I tended to think Minaya was underrated here.  The year before Omar took over lets be honest the franchise was an even bigger joke than it is now.  He was able to get Pedro and Beltran to come here and got them to the NLCS the next year.  Despite the epic collapses some of the years he was here they were competitive more often then not.  Plus a lot of the talent the last few years he drafted. 

And hey some of his press conferences were just gold lol. 

On 12/22/2017 at 8:16 PM, Another Fan said:

I tended to think Minaya was underrated here.  The year before Omar took over lets be honest the franchise was an even bigger joke than it is now.  He was able to get Pedro and Beltran to come here and got them to the NLCS the next year.  Despite the epic collapses some of the years he was here they were competitive more often then not.  Plus a lot of the talent the last few years he drafted. 

And hey some of his press conferences were just gold lol. 

I tend to disagree.

This is like the Detroit Lions hiring Matt Millen back to be a !@#$ing adviser.

Minaya was behind the Ollie Perez contract AND the Jason Bay debacle, where they BID AGAINST THEMSELVES.

This ... I do not get.  I was all for the Alderson extension, but this is just !@#$ing stupid.

On 12/23/2017 at 10:10 PM, Gugny said:

I tend to disagree.

This is like the Detroit Lions hiring Matt Millen back to be a !@#$ing adviser.

Minaya was behind the Ollie Perez contract AND the Jason Bay debacle, where they BID AGAINST THEMSELVES.

This ... I do not get.  I was all for the Alderson extension, but this is just !@#$ing stupid.

Millen went from the broadcast booth to CEO/GM and failed miserably. When was he hired as an adviser?

MInaya came up through the ranks and became GM of some good Mets teams. I remember a predilection for Hispanic players, but pitching aside they were good and the team was fun to watch. Who can forget the Moustache!

Now Alderson is clearly in charge and brings in Minaya for player development. Not sure how that compares to Millen.

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

Millen went from the broadcast booth to CEO/GM and failed miserably. When was he hired as an adviser?

MInaya came up through the ranks and became GM of some good Mets teams. I remember a predilection for Hispanic players, but pitching aside they were good and the team was fun to watch. Who can forget the Moustache!

Now Alderson is clearly in charge and brings in Minaya for player development. Not sure how that compares to Millen.

The point I was trying to make is that Millen was a horrible GM.  IF the Lions ever brought him back as an adviser, it would be asinine.

Minaya was a horrible GM.  The fact that they're bringing him back is mind-boggling. 

But ... I do trust Alderson.  So you may be right about his role as a player development guy.  But the crap he pulled as a GM set the Mets back a long way.  He was abysmal.

20 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The point I was trying to make is that Millen was a horrible GM.  IF the Lions ever brought him back as an adviser, it would be asinine.

Minaya was a horrible GM.  The fact that they're bringing him back is mind-boggling. 

But ... I do trust Alderson.  So you may be right about his role as a player development guy.  But the crap he pulled as a GM set the Mets back a long way.  He was abysmal.

Cool. I appreciate your opinions and willingness to reconsider (or not back down) when challenged.

We agree on Alderson. I have implicit trust in him, I just worry that he's inhibited by ownership. But if he thinks Omar will help with player development I'm on board.

It's similar to my belief that a guy that fails as an NFL head coach is an ideal OC/DC if they can put the ego aside.

7 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Cool. I appreciate your opinions and willingness to reconsider (or not back down) when challenged.

We agree on Alderson. I have implicit trust in him, I just worry that he's inhibited by ownership. But if he thinks Omar will help with player development I'm on board.

It's similar to my belief that a guy that fails as an NFL head coach is an ideal OC/DC if they can put the ego aside.

Here's to hoping!

And just to clarify my Millen comparison ... when I think "worst NFL GM ever," two names come to mind ... Matt Millen and Marv Levy.  In baseball, Minaya, my opinion, is the worst GM in the history of the sport.  Hence the comparison.

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:
Ken RosenthalVerified account @Ken_Rosenthal
FollowingFollowing @Ken_Rosenthal
More

Source confirms: Jay Bruce back to #Mets, three years, $39 million. Deal first reported by @Jerrycrasnick.

I just saw this. Makes no sense to me. Wasn't he part of the outfield log-jam last year? Are we turning him into a first baseman? 3 years? My gut reaction is that this will not end well.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

I just saw this. Makes no sense to me. Wasn't he part of the outfield log-jam last year? Are we turning him into a first baseman? 3 years? My gut reaction is that this will not end well.

Read that he was told he would be playing "some" first, means, by the mid-way point of the first season he'll be our everyday first base throughout the contract's lifespan. 

More

Jay Bruce deal with #Mets is backloaded. Breakdown, per source: $10M this season, $14.5M in 2019, $14.5M in ‘20.

4 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Yeah I was upset when he got traded for virtually nothing but I don't get this. 

Just now, Captain Murica said:

Read that he was told he would be playing "some" first, means, by the mid-way point of the first season he'll be our everyday first base throughout the contract's lifespan. 

More

Jay Bruce deal with #Mets is backloaded. Breakdown, per source: $10M this season, $14.5M in 2019, $14.5M in ‘20.

So much for Dominic Smith. Trade bait?

Just now, SinceThe70s said:

So much for Dominic Smith. Trade bait?

Yeah, no idea what that means since we have Wilmer as the utility INF that can play all 4 positions. 

Was hoping for more out of Dom, but he struggled with hitting, and fielding. Strangely showed decent power which he wasn't known for. 

Why won't the outfield be Cespedes, Conforto (Lagares until Conforto is healthy), Bruce?

I think Dom Smith is our 1B unless he stinks.  In which case, Nimmo can take RF and Bruce can play first.

I think the 1B job is Dom's to lose and the odd man out here will be between Lagares and Conforto - mostly depending on how well Conforto rebounds from his injury.

Edited by Gugny

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

Why won't the outfield be Cespedes, Conforto (Lagares until Conforto is healthy), Bruce?

I think Dom Smith is our 1B unless he stinks.  In which case, Nimmo can take RF and Bruce can play first.

I think the 1B job is Dom's to lose and the odd man out here will be between Lagares and Conforto - mostly depending on how well Conforto rebounds from his injury.

I don't see Conforto as an everyday CF, but it looks like we may see more of that. I could live with it short term, but 3 years seems like too much to me.

Alderson has taken a bunch of shots at Smith since the season ended. From what I heard Smith's conditioning worsened after his call up. Not a good look for him, but I expected it to be his job to lose as well anyway. This makes me wonder, and the thought of Bruce playing 1B scares me.

The consensus from the guys on SNY last night was it's a good move since Bruce comes relatively cheap. We'll see. No doubt it helps offensively.

The contract is back-loaded.  I don't think Bruce will be here for three years, but if he is, that means he's producing.  

I hate - I mean HATE - when the Mets force 1B on players (Piazza, Bruce).

Bruce also brings a lot of leadership.  And if what you've heard about Dom Smith is true, some veteran leadership (don't forget, we lost Grandy) is going to be needed for some very young players.

After sleeping on it, I like the move as much as I did last night and "In Alderson We Trust," LOL!

19 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The contract is back-loaded.  I don't think Bruce will be here for three years, but if he is, that means he's producing.  

I hate - I mean HATE - when the Mets force 1B on players (Piazza, Bruce).

Bruce also brings a lot of leadership.  And if what you've heard about Dom Smith is true, some veteran leadership (don't forget, we lost Grandy) is going to be needed for some very young players.

After sleeping on it, I like the move as much as I did last night and "In Alderson We Trust," LOL!

Good points all around. 

Anyone remember Juan Samuel in CF? Howaed Johnson at SS, CF? Hundley in LF (OK, bad example that was to make room for Piazza). Wilmer pretty much anywhere :)

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

Good points all around. 

Anyone remember Juan Samuel in CF? Howaed Johnson at SS, CF? Hundley in LF (OK, bad example that was to make room for Piazza). Wilmer pretty much anywhere :)

Remember when they had Duda out there trying to play right field when Ike Davis was around still ?

1 hour ago, Captain Murica said:

Remember when they had Duda out there trying to play right field when Ike Davis was around still ?

Oh, man ... that was bad.

How about when Murph started playing 2nd?  Ugly.

Incidentally, I hope they have ZERO plans of David Wright being in the lineup.  The longer he keeps this **** up, the more Mets fans are going to despise him.  We haven't had a real 3B in ten !@#$ing years.

On 1/11/2018 at 7:17 AM, Gugny said:

Oh, man ... that was bad.

How about when Murph started playing 2nd?  Ugly.

Incidentally, I hope they have ZERO plans of David Wright being in the lineup.  The longer he keeps this **** up, the more Mets fans are going to despise him.  We haven't had a real 3B in ten !@#$ing years.

I'm way ahead of the pack.  I've despised him for at least two years.

On 1/11/2018 at 4:56 AM, SinceThe70s said:

Good points all around. 

Ah yes, fond memories of the Mets always prioritizing solid defense!   There's  reason the '99 team is one of my favorites.

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

I'm way ahead of the pack.  I've despised him for at least two years.

I think I'm with you, there.  And I wanted them to trade him at least 5 years ago.  The loyalty they've shown David Wright is ALMOST as mind-boggling as what Marvin Lewis gets in Cincinnati.