Mets fans?

Another Fan

Just saw this with regard to bringing up the minor league first baseman:

“At some point, we’ll just do it. There are player transactions that take place in the month of August. Often, though, that doesn’t happen until the end of August,” said Alderson. “But I think at some point, if necessary, we’ll just make the playing time available.”

This is an example of why I like the guy so much as GM. He doesn't even say that Smith is coming up 9/1 regardless. Let's us know the mind set without painting himself into a corner.

Joe Benigno brought this up on his show the other day. Do you ever feel there's guys ownership doesn't like for reasons not related to baseball that impacts their decisions. Examples: Murphy and Turner

The only thing I heard that is closely relative to that was the rumblings of the higher ups not being happy about Turner getting extensive playing time as he was only a subpar utility player at the time.

With the news about Bruce getting traded for basically a made up guy I nearly lost it. I would have rather kept him and offered him a QO. This was a pure money dump by the Wilpons and it is infuriating at the least. How are we replacing that production?

This year our payroll was $161 million and about $150 million on paper due to Wright only receiving $5 million of his $20 million per a year which the rest kicks back to the Wilpons.

From what I am hearing; the Mets will be slashing the payroll down to $125-130 million and that's with $71 million on the books already without Arbitration accounted for and 5 player's on the active roster:

Cespedes(29 million)

Largeras (6.5 million)

Wright (20 million)

Blevins (7 million club option)

Cabrera (8.5 million club option)

These are the player's I feel will be on the 25 man roster in 2018 barring injury.

Degrom - Arbitration 2 - 4 million 2017

Harvey - Abitration 3 - 5.1 million in 2017

Wheeler - Abitration 2 - 800,000 in 2017

Thor - Arbitration 1 - 605,000 in 2017

Matz - Team Control - 562,000 in 2017

A.J. Ramos - Arbitration 3 - 6.5million in 2017

Familia - Arbitration 3 - 7.4 million in 2017

Lugo - Team Control - 543,000 in 2017

Gsellman - Team Control - 541,000 in 2017

• We still need 2 more bullpen arms. I do not believe Salas, Smoker, Sewald, or Robles will be on the opening 25 man roster. It's known that Sandy will not spend money on bullpen arms.The 5 relief pitchers we picked up in trades he is hoping 2 of them are able to make it. So more of throwing poop at the wall and hoping it sticks.

With the news about Bruce getting traded for basically a made up guy I nearly lost it. I would have rather kept him and offered him a QO. This was a pure money dump by the Wilpons and it is infuriating at the least. How are we replacing that production?

Exactly. This years obviously been a disappointment but this was the first time I really shook my head. It's like this feeling that ownership doesn't care about winning.

I liked Bruce as well. Last year he obviously struggled but this year he seemed to get back on track. Plus he took Conforto under his wing. I think there's something to be said for those type of players, especially nowadays where everyone looks out for themselves.

What the Bruce trade tells me is that the Mets don't view Conforto as a center fielder. I don't either. Ideally Conforto is in LF and Cespedes in RF but that ain't happening. Sigh

With that said, dumping Bruce for salary is a bad look, no doubt.

BTW, I am LI_Bills...password issues.

Let's go Mets!

Agreed, but do you want to see Bruce crush us next week or kill it for the NYY post-season? That's a consideration.

Yankee-Met trades are rare.

I understand that, but, in the reality of things. What the Yanks do, will not impact the Mets, just like what the Mets do will not affect the Yankees.

I mean we just traded with the Marlins so I can't see that being an excuse.

The Jay Bruce trade is small potatoes after today, eh fellas?

Hope I'm wrong, but one look at Dominic Smith's belly makes me skeptical.

He'll never be a burner but he is a smooth fielder, he'll get acclimated. He'll never be a 30 homerun guy, but, he'll bat .300+ 15-20 homeruns 90+ rbis and win a few gold gloves.

I was excited about Rosario when he got called up, struggled a bit in the dodgers series but he just killed it in Philly going 5-11 in the series. Including the game winning homerun in Friday.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
22 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

I just saw that Alderson got an extension. I'm happy about that.

That was our big off-season move :lol: 

I 'm in the middle about it. I'm not pleased about the current state of the farm system, and draft history. The guy literally drafted Gavin Cecchini over Corey Seager, that is one draft that stings when discussing about Sandy's history with other "die hards" as the GM in the Mets organization, and when looking at Minaya's drafts it isn't even close. 

3 hours ago, Captain Murica said:

That was our big off-season move :lol: 

I 'm in the middle about it. I'm not pleased about the current state of the farm system, and draft history. The guy literally drafted Gavin Cecchini over Corey Seager, that is one draft that stings when discussing about Sandy's history with other "die hards" as the GM in the Mets organization, and when looking at Minaya's drafts it isn't even close. 

Fair point about the farm system. Minaya and Alderson are polar opposites when it comes to trades and free agency. Minaya always wanted to make the big splash. I'm not sure where to draw the line between the owners cheapness and Aldersons conservative nature but I lean towards owners cheapness. I still think he'll bring in an above average position player before spring training.