Mets fans?

Another Fan

Born and bred Long Island, Mets/Bills/Islanders since the early 70's. Love where the Mets are at right now. Always room for improvement and plenty of legit concerns but this team is positioned pretty well for both short and long term success.

• 1 month later...

Born and bred Long Island, Mets/Bills/Islanders since the early 70's. Love where the Mets are at right now. Always room for improvement and plenty of legit concerns but this team is positioned pretty well for both short and long term success.

Thought so too in March. Not gonna throw in the towel yet for the year but it feels like it's gonna be an epic disappointment.

• 1 month later...

Die hard Mets fan, as the entire family is as well. We have weekday season ticket package. (Not so much in football half being Giants and Jets fans; then me as the lonely Bills fan.)

This season has been dreary and all too familiar to the 90s Mets when we had the young arm prospects aka Generation K. (Bill Pulsipher, Jason Isringhausen, and Paul Wilson)

Not loving where we're at 3 months later.

A few weeks before the trade deadline and a few thoughts:

Outfield

With Conforto, Cespedes, Granderson and Bruce we still have a glut of corner outfielders. Conforto is a keeper, time to move on from Granderson. Would you consider dangling Cespedes and holding on to Bruce?

Infiield:

Dump anyone that can bring back something decent. TJ looks like a hitter, but where can he play? Looks like Murphy part II to me. Might consider him as a complement to Dominic Smith at first next year.

Starting pitching to keep:

DeGrom: anyone who suggests we trade him is nuts

Thor: pray he isn't the next Harvey

Matz: concerned but waaaaaay to early to cut the cord

Starting pitching to keep unless someone wants to overpay:

Harvey: I have no confidence he'll regain form but he has no value and is cheap so try to salvage: bullpen, minors, whatever

Wheeler: I'm encouraged. First year back, no major injury setbacks, decent, not great. If someone wants to overpay I'd consider it but next year is his make or break.

Gsellman/Lugo: I thought they overachieved last year. Showed me enough to keep around (Lugo moreso), but again: bullpen, minors, whatever

Relief pitching

Hate to see Addison Reed go, but sayonara...most likely to be traded IMO. Everyone else is expendable too, but I really can't stomach Edgin.

Catching

Blow it up.

Manager

I have no great love for Collins, but I do give him some credit for the two playoff appearances and I'm not aware of any clubhouse problems. I'd want to know who's up next before I kick him to the curb.

• 2 weeks later...

Not loving where we're at 3 months later.

A few weeks before the trade deadline and a few thoughts:

Outfield

With Conforto, Cespedes, Granderson and Bruce we still have a glut of corner outfielders. Conforto is a keeper, time to move on from Granderson. Would you consider dangling Cespedes and holding on to Bruce?

Infiield:

Dump anyone that can bring back something decent. TJ looks like a hitter, but where can he play? Looks like Murphy part II to me. Might consider him as a complement to Dominic Smith at first next year.

Starting pitching to keep:

DeGrom: anyone who suggests we trade him is nuts

Thor: pray he isn't the next Harvey

Matz: concerned but waaaaaay to early to cut the cord

Starting pitching to keep unless someone wants to overpay:

Harvey: I have no confidence he'll regain form but he has no value and is cheap so try to salvage: bullpen, minors, whatever

Wheeler: I'm encouraged. First year back, no major injury setbacks, decent, not great. If someone wants to overpay I'd consider it but next year is his make or break.

Gsellman/Lugo: I thought they overachieved last year. Showed me enough to keep around (Lugo moreso), but again: bullpen, minors, whatever

Relief pitching

Hate to see Addison Reed go, but sayonara...most likely to be traded IMO. Everyone else is expendable too, but I really can't stomach Edgin.

Catching

Blow it up.

Manager

I have no great love for Collins, but I do give him some credit for the two playoff appearances and I'm not aware of any clubhouse problems. I'd want to know who's up next before I kick him to the curb.

TJ reminds me of Justin Turner (during his time with us), he has no position but plays literally every position in the infield and can play some outfield. I'd keep him in the bigs, he will be .280ish hitter off the bench that can give people the day off when needed and won't sacrifice too much at the plate. He's been a nightmare at third though. More suited as a 2nd baseman.

Matz, where do I start? I always believed him to be a 4th-5th starter. He got thrown into the greatest young pitching staff of all time hype way too quickly. He seems to hit the injury bug which has also messed with his head. He has not established his FB at all this season. As of late, he seems to be all changeups and curves, all the while getting away from his slider; believing that is the cause of his injuries and pain. He's a guy that feeds off of the rest of the staff, when they're going he seems to be doing well as well. Now, with Thor and Harvey out, all the pressure for him to pick up where they left off (mainly Thor) it seems as if he is buckling under the pressure. I'm in favor of keeping him around. I'm biased since he's a Long Island kid and was a Mets fan growing up. :lol:

Harvey, I actually wanted him traded after 2015 WS, as I believed his value was at its peak coming off the game 5 performance and seeming to adapt his game. Rumor has it, the Mets approached the Red Sox about trading Harvey for one of their 3 rising stars (Betts, Boegarts or Bradley Jr.) but the Sox said no. The injuries plagued him since then and he seems to be more trouble than he is worth.

I'm in favor of keeping Bruce, Cespedes, and Conforto in the OF having, Conforto switch to RF in the later innings and having Nimmo or Largeras play CF from the 7th on. Hell, I think Cespedes should swallow his pride and play right and have Conforto play left if Bruce does not return. Mind you I think the Mets can get Bruce signed for something around 3 yrs for 36-39 million.

They replenished the farm with a bunch of middle relief guys, which two will probably be called up in September.

Terry Collins needs to go, I do not care if he led us to the playoffs in consecutive seasons. It's also been said Sandy wanted him gone by the mid way point in 2015 but the Wilpons being the cuckolds they are, denied him of doing so. Wish Backman was the next man up, but, they told him they have no plans for him further than the triple A team.

Yeah wish Wally would be the next manager. The Mets powers that be though would never let that happen though. They'd never want a guy who doesn't play it safe.

That being said, Terry's overall stay there wasn't bad. I mean its got to count for something he's managed the most games in Mets history

Yeah wish Wally would be the next manager. The Mets powers that be though would never let that happen though. They'd never want a guy who doesn't play it safe.

That being said, Terry's overall stay there wasn't bad. I mean its got to count for something he's managed the most games in Mets history

I remember when he coached the Stro's and all his players hated him. I actually preferred that TC over this one. He's been here the longest due to him willing to do whatever the Wilpon's want.

I actually like Sandy a lot. I also believe from what I know he is handcuffed by the Wilpons.

FYI our salary next season will be around 120-135ish. The Mets made last year around 75+ million in profit in 2016... Yet we need to cut payroll. This team ownership acts as if they play in Idaho.... I wish we had owners that spend and act like a NY based franchise :wallbash:

I remember when he coached the Stro's and all his players hated him. I actually preferred that TC over this one. He's been here the longest due to him willing to do whatever the Wilpon's want.

I actually like Sandy a lot. I also believe from what I know he is handcuffed by the Wilpons.

FYI our salary next season will be around 120-135ish. The Mets made last year around 75+ million in profit in 2016... Yet we need to cut payroll. This team ownership acts as if they play in Idaho.... I wish we had owners that spend and act like a NY based franchise :wallbash:

Yeah unfortunately under this ownership I don't see it happening. When Doubleday left that really hurt things imo, after all he was the one who pushed for Piazza.

I mean unless they're still reeling from Madoff?

Yeah unfortunately under this ownership I don't see it happening. When Doubleday left that really hurt things imo, after all he was the one who pushed for Piazza.

I mean unless they're still reeling from Madoff?

Settlement was agreed upon that Wilpon paid 162 million to settle Picard's lawsuit in 2012. So, they could be but it's been almost 6 years. That's not counting the money the wilpon's already had stashed away.

Maybe, they're buying too many ponies lol

Another/Murica - appreciate your thoughts, agree with most. My abbreviated thoughts after the deadline:

- I have a great deal of trust in Alderson's decision making

- Edgin was dfa'd no? Did anyone claim him? Hope so.

- just a guess but maybe Matz is tipping his pitches (I was at CitiField when he gave up 7 in an inning plus)

- no more Madoff excuses, that time has past.

WRT Collins do you just want to dump him or is there someone you prefer? I'm neither a lover or hater but I don'y see him as a problem.

After posting a few minutes ago I read a newsday.com article suggesting the Mets might retain Cabrera and Bruce and are OK with Conforto in CF.

Could be subterfuge but what do you think about Conforto in CF? I don't see it.

Another/Murica - appreciate your thoughts, agree with most. My abbreviated thoughts after the deadline:

- I have a great deal of trust in Alderson's decision making

- Edgin was dfa'd no? Did anyone claim him? Hope so.

- just a guess but maybe Matz is tipping his pitches (I was at CitiField when he gave up 7 in an inning plus)

- no more Madoff excuses, that time has past.

WRT Collins do you just want to dump him or is there someone you prefer? I'm neither a lover or hater but I don'y see him as a problem.

After posting a few minutes ago I read a newsday.com article suggesting the Mets might retain Cabrera and Bruce and are OK with Conforto in CF.

Could be subterfuge but what do you think about Conforto in CF? I don't see it.

My issue with Collins is mainly he's better suited as a minor league manager; he's good with the young player's but has no clout with the veterans. He's the longest tenured manager in Mets history; at some point, his voice will be white noise.

Of the top of my head:

- Tony Pena (led the WBC DR team)

- Don Wakamatsu (Royal's bench coach) Yost stated he doesn't make moves without consulting him

I'm a fan of Bruce but not of Cabrera, with Bruce at least he leads the team in home-runs and RBI's as well is solid in defensively with a good arm, solid hands, but no range.

Cabrera, I feel has worn out his welcome in NY, but, the Mets are paying him $2 million no matter what their decision is. I rather role with Reyes as the utility guy along with TJ at 2nd and Flores off the bench.

Conforto is good in CF but cannot be the final solution. I mean you could have him move over to right and keep Cespedes in LF with Largeras and Nimmo in CF. But, Bruce's bat and run producing is not easily replaced but he has the build that doesn't carry well into the mid 30's.

Also, would like them to sign someone for 3rd base, my dream player would be Moustakas from KC but I feel he will be too rich for us.

Edited by Captain Murica

The only thing I disagree slightly with you guys on is Sandy. I'm not really sold on him.

I'm just not a big Moneyball fan and find Billy Beane to be overrated. Plus most of these pitchers (despite the injuries) were discovered by Minaya. Then there's the whole him always having it out for Backman.

But like you say his hands can be tied by the Wilpons.

The only thing I disagree slightly with you guys on is Sandy. I'm not really sold on him.

I'm just not a big Moneyball fan and find Billy Beane to be overrated. Plus most of these pitchers (despite the injuries) were discovered by Minaya. Then there's the whole him always having it out for Backman.

But like you say his hands can be tied by the Wilpons.

Yeah, I knew that part. I will say Sandy has done well when it comes to trades, getting Thor and d'Arnaud for Dickey and Thole, getting Bruce for Dilson Herrera and Max Wotell, and the Cespedes trade was 50/50 IMO since Fulmer was ROY and an All-star this season but Cespedes carried us into the playoffs until Murphy took over.

But, I agree with you. I hate the Moneyball methods, but, that was Oakland. I feel he would spend more if he got the okay from the Wilpons.

I gotta say that I'm not sure what more you could want in a GM.

He had a plan to build a pitching first team, was patient in an impatient market and executed it. A great line from a local sportswriter a few years ago when a lot of folks wanted to trade the young arms. To paraphrase: "For the first time in years the Mets had an adult in the room at the trade deadline".

Struck when the time was right with Carlos Gomez/Cespedes. Got lucky on that one, but that balances out the spate of pitching injuries that for me defines where we are currently.

Has been completely up front with the fans and media. When he speaks, I listen. I don't think he's blowing smoke.

I'll be disappointed when he moves on. I think he does a great job in spite of the ownership.

I gotta say that I'm not sure what more you could want in a GM.

He had a plan to build a pitching first team, was patient in an impatient market and executed it. A great line from a local sportswriter a few years ago when a lot of folks wanted to trade the young arms. To paraphrase: "For the first time in years the Mets had an adult in the room at the trade deadline".

Struck when the time was right with Carlos Gomez/Cespedes. Got lucky on that one, but that balances out the spate of pitching injuries that for me defines where we are currently.

Has been completely up front with the fans and media. When he speaks, I listen. I don't think he's blowing smoke.

I'll be disappointed when he moves on. I think he does a great job in spite of the ownership.

I agree, if this team is healthy it's one of the best in baseball and he did a really good job constructing the team.

http://nypost.com/2017/08/03/mets-appear-committed-to-sandy-alderson-for-the-long-haul/amp/

Looks as if he had no plans to retire or move on at this point.

Well the whole Daniel Murphy trade is still a little upsetting. I'm not sure if that was Sandys call or ownership didn't want to pay him

I had no problem whatsoever with that move. In 8 years with the Mets he was basically a .280 gap to gap hitter with very little power. At best he was an average fielder. Plus he was already into his 30's. That playoff stretch he went on was remarkable but in no way did I think that would translate into what it's become. So I don't blame Alderson on that one.

In hindsight I hate the move and it's a punch to my gut every time we play him :D