Bills Cap Mismanagement

.......interesting when Overdorf is the lead dawg......but then again, the "Fire Whaley Gang" salivates at every opportunity......you know about the neglected broken urinal in 313, right??.........

• Associated Press
  • Published: Jan. 31, 2008 at 11:34 a.m.
  • Updated: July 26, 2012 at 08:17 p.m

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Jim Overdorf was promoted to Buffalo Bills senior vice president of football administration, giving him control over contract negotiations and salary cap decisions.

+1

Don't let facts spoil things, smh!

It is like some fans live in a vacuum and make stuff up...according to creator of Spotrac, the Bills have done a pretty good job with the cap.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1

Don't let facts spoil things, smh!

It is like some fans live in a vacuum and make stuff up...according to creator of Spotrac, the Bills have done a pretty good job with the cap.

If you think the Bills have been in a good cap situation the last couple years I don't know what to tell you. For a team without any playoff success or big expenditure at QB they sure have been pretty hamstrung the last couple of offseasons and that is inexcusable.

You can always cherry pick a lot of things to justify why we are not winning. The one item that I'll agree is not having off setting language for the Dareus contract for suspensions, or being completely out of shape was a huge miss. It sickened me his lack of availabaility last year and coming to camp in previous years out of shape and making that type of money. Top DT's drive those dollars but you. Don't see those issues with a Gerald McCoy. I live. In Tampa, and every year that. Guy is in top shape and plays pretty much every single game. He's earned his $100 million dollar contract.

he played all 16 games for the NFC champ Falcons. We were told his knees were shot which was apparently BS

Which was a major bounce back year. He got benched for Tennessee the previous year. Not paying Levitre was a wise move especially once we were dumping Fitz. No shock he has lookee good in two offenses that prioritise getting the ball our fast.

If people want to talk about bad contracts the Bills have done in the Whaley era the top 3 in my mind are clearly:

1. Chris Williams

2. Percy Harvin (x2)

3. Charles Clay

Those aside I think they have done a reasonable job. I will add though I am not a lover of the personnel moves this offseason. That Lorax contract in particular.

Edited by GunnerBill

I see a clear change after the Pegula's took over. The philosophy clearly changed as a result of the owner being willing to spend more than the previous. Peters would still be a Bills if that went down under Pegula. The largest issues regarding the cap were put in place the first offseason with Rex. Giving McCoy more money so he did not complain, way overpaying for Clay, extending Dareus to get started. People say who cares about the money but I care because spending on the wrong guys means you cant spend on the right guys later on.

I was not a big fan of the McCoy trade, my feelings at the time were that the Bills would look like the winners in the short term but 5 years out, Alonso could be a perennial pro bowler while McCoy is likely out of the league. When you consider the salary of the two guys I thought it was a bad deal. Dont take that to mean I dont think McCoy is a great player, he is. But they chose to spend a lot on a great player vs have a great player on his rookie deal for a few more years.

Spending lots of money does not make you a winner.

he played all 16 games for the NFC champ Falcons. We were told his knees were shot which was apparently BS

...you are correct and I apologize......was focusing on his time with Titans where he had health issues.......he DID rebound nicely with Falcons..............

I remember last year about this time or so when it was shocking to still see EJ on the roster when it was obvious beyond a shadow of a doubt that he was a POS of a QB (nice guy though).

Some said to keep him because Lil Doug said he was one of the best backups in the league. :doh:

Others said that he had to stay because there wasn't enough cap room to take the hit on releasing him and paying for a different #2 QB. That is ATROCIOUS cap management. :thumbdown:

I remember last year about this time or so when it was shocking to still see EJ on the roster when it was obvious beyond a shadow of a doubt that he was a POS of a QB (nice guy though).

Some said to keep him because Lil Doug said he was one of the best backups in the league. :doh:

Others said that he had to stay because there wasn't enough cap room to take the hit on releasing him and paying for a different #2 QB. That is ATROCIOUS cap management. :thumbdown:

Actually Rico, the argument for keeping EJ was quite simple: he cost the same amount against the cap whether they kept him or not, so it makes just as much sense to use his cap hit to fill a roster space than to cut him and have to spend more money to fill that roster spot

Actually Rico, the argument for keeping EJ was quite simple: he cost the same amount against the cap whether they kept him or not, so it makes just as much sense to use his cap hit to fill a roster space than to cut him and have to spend more money to fill that roster spot

Yep. That was the unavoidable consequence of swinging and missing at QB not the result of bad cap management.

So are you saying it was more about being frugal than actually being too tight to the cap, along with still billi-eving in EJ?

Keeping him on the roster just compounded a major blunder. TT may have disappointed last year, but if he gets hurt earlier in the season, 2016 would've been an outright disaster.

Except EJ played like crap in his 3 games as back up and lost all 3 games.

Spending a little more on a competent backup may get us to the playoffs in 2015.

Except EJ played like crap in his 3 games as back up and lost all 3 games.

Spending a little more on a competent backup may get us to the playoffs in 2015.

The issues are mutually exclusive--even if you found another backup, it still doesn't make sense to cut a guy for zero cap savings

Edited by thebandit27

How did he look in Tennessee? Here's a hint. They dumped him.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

How did he look in Tennessee? Here's a hint. They dumped him.

Players often have bad years with crappy teams though.

Still Levitre was absolutely not worth it.. Most overrated Bill in the last 6 years.

Edited by FireChan

As said above, scheme is extremely important in respect of a number of positions. And will define who should be getting what. Part of the Bills problems with Cap Management, will stem from the continual changes in coaches, where schemes also change.

One year you are paying a guy in line with market value, the next, you could be either over-paying him, or under-paying him due to a system change.

+1. The constant change of coaching and hence the change of schemes keeps hurting this NFL Team!!!! The Bills owners have to stop that and give the staff a chance. I hope they don't meddle with Sean for the next four years.

+1. The constant change of coaching and hence the change of schemes keeps hurting this NFL Team!!!! The Bills owners have to stop that and give the staff a chance. I hope they don't meddle with Sean for the next four years.

I'm not too concerned about this, the Pegulas seem to be very loyal, to a fault even. Rex was their first HC hire and he got an extra season when many of us knew he was a loser. Slow trigger, not a quick one. I'm confident McDermott will get plenty of time. I have serious concerns about the Pegulas but a quick axe is not one of them.