Any way you slice it Kaepernick represents good value

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it OK for Kaepernick to speak out for what he believes in...

... but then it is racist/hateful for anyone who disagrees to speak out in return?

You mean like this?

Colin Kaepernick, the 49ers quarterback whose refusal to stand for the national anthem has rocked the NFL and ignited a fierce debate about patriotism, free speech and the American flag, says he has received death threats since he began his protest last month.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/sep/20/colin-kaepernick-death-threats-national-anthem-protest-nfl

I don't have an issue with his protest.

I do have an issue with his diet/conditioning and dedication to the game, which I find lacking. He fell off the tracks with no Jim Harbaugh around and the Bills already have their hands full with Dareus.

You mean like this?

Colin Kaepernick, the 49ers quarterback whose refusal to stand for the national anthem has rocked the NFL and ignited a fierce debate about patriotism, free speech and the American flag, says he has received death threats since he began his protest last month.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/sep/20/colin-kaepernick-death-threats-national-anthem-protest-nfl

Uh, no. Obviously I don't mean death threats.

I'm referring to the celebrities (such as Spike Lee), who imply that racism is behind Kaepernick not getting signed. And anyone who disagrees with that point of view is a hateful bigot.

Like I said in an earlier post. Kaepernick has the right to say and do what he wants. But now he has to face the repercussions of his actions. Many fans, coaches, owners and players consider what he did to be disrespectful to the country. It's not surprising that nobody wants to hire him.

Uh, no. Obviously I don't mean death threats.

I'm referring to the celebrities (such as Spike Lee), who imply that racism is behind Kaepernick not getting signed. And anyone who disagrees with that point of view is a hateful bigot.

Like I said in an earlier post. Kaepernick has the right to say and do what he wants. But now he has to face the repercussions of his actions. Many fans, coaches, owners and players consider what he did to be disrespectful to the country. It's not surprising that nobody wants to hire him.

You can disagree with Kaepernick and not be a racist. Some of these people are just what George Carlin would call the "symbol-minded".

"I don't get all choked up about yellow ribbons and American flags. I consider them to be symbols and I leave symbols to the symbol minded." George Carlin

The problem is the anti-Kaepernick crowd who are overt racists or who call him for him to die because he made a point they disagree with.

You mean like this?

I think salon or CNN has more fluffy articles. Try them next time.

Your point is invalid. The dixie chicks, priests in the catholic religion, the pope, the president... all get death threats. Ima bet those were all race too.

Not all people who disagree or hate on others are racist. Your anecdotal evidence that someone called him a racist name does not speak for the general population any more than saying that cops killed unarmed, non violent and innocent folks without cause because it has happened before.

Your argument, the guardians argument is tired, reckless and irresponsible.

You can disagree with Kaepernick and not be a racist. Some of these people are just what George Carlin would call the "symbol-minded".

"I don't get all choked up about yellow ribbons and American flags. I consider them to be symbols and I leave symbols to the symbol minded." George Carlin

The problem is the anti-Kaepernick crowd who are overt racists or who call him for him to die because he made a point they disagree with.

let me rephraee what you're saying. "I don't understand life, logic and complex issues or thought. Those that disagree with my primitive sentiments are racist, sexist, bigots, etc."

I think that fits your nonsense much better. But stop calling everyone racist because you're not capable of understanding a situation.

I think salon or CNN has more fluffy articles. Try them next time.

Your point is invalid. The dixie chicks, priests in the catholic religion, the pope, the president... all get death threats. Ima bet those were all race too.

Not all people who disagree or hate on others are racist. Your anecdotal evidence that someone called him a racist name does not speak for the general population any more than saying that cops killed unarmed, non violent and innocent folks without cause because it has happened before.

Your argument, the guardians argument is tired, reckless and irresponsible.

The facts are not in dispute. Colin Kaepernick received death threats and racial attacks for doing what he did. You might think that's "normal". I think it's unfortunate.

The George Carlin quote speaks for itself. Your interpretation of it shows you have no idea what he is saying.

Funny how you glossed over my first sentence then put words in my mouth, "You can disagree with Kaepernick and not be a racist."

Edited by jeffismagic

... but then it is racist/hateful for anyone who disagrees to speak out in return?

Didn't say anything about racist or hateful.

I feel if you get offended over things that have no impact on your life than you deserve to be offended.

Most people that hate kaep blindly do it because they think he's attacking the vets but he's not. It's about how the police treat minorities but like someone said above its the symbol minded people.

The facts are not in dispute. Colin Kaepernick received death threats and racial attacks for doing what he did. You might think that's "normal". I think it's unfortunate.

that doesn't mean that everyone who dislikes him, doesn't want him signed or thinks he is a bad qb his a racist. Which is what you are saying.

Not everyone who disagrees with you is racist. Not everyone who disagrees with wgr's talking asshats, or the guardian or spike Lee or chum Lee or the general Lee is a racist.

It is disgusting that do many people cast about such insults because someone disagrees with them. Its SLPC level of vile.

that doesn't mean that everyone who dislikes him, doesn't want him signed or thinks he is a bad qb his a racist. Which is what you are saying.

Not everyone who disagrees with you is racist. Not everyone who disagrees with wgr's talking asshats, or the guardian or spike Lee or chum Lee or the general Lee is a racist.

It is disgusting that do many people cast about such insults because someone disagrees with them. Its SLPC level of vile.

You're putting words in my mouth again. I just said that there are people that disagree with Kaepernick who are NOT racists. They like to cheer for the home team and it's like a football game to them. Please respond to what I write and stop debating arguments I am not advancing.

....that is IT in a nutshell.....nicely done WITH no politics........

I'm unconcerned with his politics. I see a one-trick pony that quickly disintegrated once defenses took away what he was good at.

You're putting words in my mouth again. I just said that there are people that disagree with Kaepernick who are NOT racists. They like to cheer for the home team and it's like a football game to them. Please respond to what I write and stop debating arguments I am not advancing.

you attempted to show that because he has received death threats that these against him are racist. At least the article you sourced and specifically quoted pointed that out.

Gosh you're not doing very good at your own reading material.

its not -- but there sure are a lot of people that are racist that respond to him. there are also some that have well thought out and respectable positions. those tend not to be the ones making the most noise in response to him though.

I don't have an issue with his protest.

I do have an issue with his diet/conditioning and dedication to the game, which I find lacking. He fell off the tracks with no Jim Harbaugh around and the Bills already have their hands full with Dareus.

He was falling off the tracks even with Harbaugh...the more games he played the less effective he was. Clear indication he has a single skillset that teams can take away once they had enough tape and he hasn't been able to adjust. He might be good for spot duty if your starter gets hurt and he has to come into the game with a team that has no preparation for him that week, other than that, if a team prepares for him, I have little faith the results will be any better than what we have seen over the past season and a half or two seasons.

Chum Lee hahaha

He was falling off the tracks even with Harbaugh...the more games he played the less effective he was. Clear indication he has a single skillset that teams can take away once they had enough tape and he hasn't been able to adjust. He might be good for spot duty if your starter gets hurt and he has to come into the game with a team that has no preparation for him that week, other than that, if a team prepares for him, I have little faith the results will be any better than what we have seen over the past season and a half or two seasons.

as backup qbs go, his stat line (outside of W-L) was about all you could expect. his completion percentage was a little higher than 2013, his TD percentage essentially in line (slight drop), better INT percentage. Lower YPA which is big

his rushing stats had more YPG, YPC... fewer TD, but the same fumbles.

the talent around him went down and he isnt a guy that can carry a team but id imagine he can be a fine backup. most arent very good.

you attempted to show that because he has received death threats that these against him are racist. At least the article you sourced and specifically quoted pointed that out.

Gosh you're not doing very good at your own reading material.

No, I spelled out what I thought. But will do so again.

Many dislike Kapernick for various reasons.

Some because they just want to watch football.

Some because they think America is already perfect and needs no changes or reforms.

Some because they feel any criticism of society is criticism of them.

And then, unfortunately there are the real racists who decided to attack Kaepernick and threaten his life.

If there is someone that feels any disagreement with Kaepernick is racism then take it up with that person, not me.

Didn't say anything about racist or hateful.

I feel if you get offended over things that have no impact on your life than you deserve to be offended.

Most people that hate kaep blindly do it because they think he's attacking the vets but he's not. It's about how the police treat minorities but like someone said above its the symbol minded people.

With due respect--You're wrong on several levels. Most folks that get offended tend to see a disconnect between their value system and that of the offending party. That could be for a variety of reasons, fair, unfair, misguided or whatever, but the simple fact is they see the world differently than someone else. As for the impact on their life, well, that's subjective. If you're a fan of the team, and the team signs a guy who you have serious disagreements with, well the impact is immediate and real. Finally, the fact that some 'hates' CK for his protest is the exact opposite of blind hate.

What strikes me as funny is that the average football fan is passionate about the team they cheer for. Its an industry built on emotion. The NFL's model relies on that passion, and there are many, many people who become wealthy beyond their wildest dreams being involved in the game. Why would anyone think a subsection of the whole would not have an intense, visceral response to this sort of thing?

Football is entertainment. I'd think the Bills and every other team interested in CK as a contributor to the team would way all the pros/cons out and make an informed decision from there. I'd pass, and probably not pay to see CK play, based on the way I see the world. As for the Bills--well, it's important to know your audience too. I guess we'll see.

as backup qbs go, his stat line (outside of W-L) was about all you could expect. his completion percentage was a little higher than 2013, his TD percentage essentially in line (slight drop), better INT percentage. Lower YPA which is big

his rushing stats had more YPG, YPC... fewer TD, but the same fumbles.

the talent around him went down and he isnt a guy that can carry a team but id imagine he can be a fine backup. most arent very good.

In an effort to get this to be a football topic again;

I think mobile guys arguably are the best backup QB's you could ask for. Unpredictable, a completely different style of play to gameplan for, and they make up for their deficiencies as passers (that all backups invariably possess) with that extra threat of taking off. If you need to go .500 when your starter was out, a guy like Vick or Kaep would be the ones who could do it short-term.