Any "Cord Cutters" here? I need your help!

Guffalo

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paying close to $200 a month for cable, internet, and phone. Time to drop the land line. Put that number on a Walmart phone.

If you want to cut the Land Line without losing home phone service, look into Google Voice and pick up an Obihai.

Google Voice is free VOIP. If you have a cell number you want to port, it's $10 fee. If you have a land line, it gets a little more complicated because you have to port it to a burner cell phone (for whatever the phone costs and the cell carrier's port fee) and then to Google Voice for their $10

Or if you're not tied to an existing number, Google will provide one for free

The Obihai adapter is $50. Plug in your phone and Ethernet. Or if you want to run it over Wifi, there is USB Wifi adapter for another $20

After that it's free.

Only drawbacks I've seen after 2 years or so is no 911, but I have a cell phone anyway. If Internet goes down, so does phone. But then again if you have land line service thru the cable company that happens too. Have to occasionally bounce the Obihai. If you change your Google password, the Obihai will stop working until you update the password

I love the voice mail service. If you miss a call (or screen them like I do) Google transcribes the voice to text and it shows up in your GMail

Edited by /dev/null

So far so good! it took a few tries, but i have it loaded, hope to see how it works over the next few days. Thanks!!

Well, We tried to watch network TV last night, it was "muddy" and we froze up 3 times watching a half hour show, in each case we had to back out of Modbro completely and start again. Any other suggestions?

i am having zero luck with Bob, tried to watch some psych episodes, keep saying unplayable stream, tried to watch live sports using acestream, nothing

I am not home at the moment but when I get back I will try the psych episodes. What group were they under? I assume a tv show.

Well, We tried to watch network TV last night, it was "muddy" and we froze up 3 times watching a half hour show, in each case we had to back out of Modbro completely and start again. Any other suggestions?

What sort of internet speed do you have? I have Fios and don't have that issue at all.

What sort of internet speed do you have? I have Fios and don't have that issue at all.

We have FIOS 50/50.

I was hoping to watch the South Carolina game tonight on TNT, Checked it last night and it was still pretty sketchy.

We have FIOS 50/50.

I was hoping to watch the South Carolina game tonight on TNT, Checked it last night and it was still pretty sketchy.

How are you doing with stations that aren't showing sports? Are they streaming okay? As I mentioned earlier, ESPN seems to run slow on this app. I tend to do better with sports on the Sportsdevil app on Kodi.

i am having zero luck with Bob, tried to watch some psych episodes, keep saying unplayable stream, tried to watch live sports using acestream, nothing

Looks like Psych is an unplayable stream. If I do a search for something, I think Exodus is better but if I look through the available list I still think Bob/Blue is better. I looked at acestreams and it says at the top of the display it will require Plexus to watch those links. Did you install Plexus? I have not and am not in the mood at the moment but there are other sports options. The condensed NHL playbacks looked good. Will have to try the live NHL games at night.

ok good to know, wasn't sure if the streams had something to do with my setup. I tried installing plexus, but again, it was hard to tell if it was installed correctly and couldn't open any of the games, so my guess is it wasn't installed correctly. Might be a weekend task

Looks like Psych is an unplayable stream. If I do a search for something, I think Exodus is better but if I look through the available list I still think Bob/Blue is better. I looked at acestreams and it says at the top of the display it will require Plexus to watch those links. Did you install Plexus? I have not and am not in the mood at the moment but there are other sports options. The condensed NHL playbacks looked good. Will have to try the live NHL games at night.

ok good to know, wasn't sure if the streams had something to do with my setup. I tried installing plexus, but again, it was hard to tell if it was installed correctly and couldn't open any of the games, so my guess is it wasn't installed correctly. Might be a weekend task

I went into their music TV area after and they had some links at the very bottom with acestreams. They gave the same message. I will have to see if I can install plexus this weekend.

I finally installed Acestreams. I never saw what device you are using but I am using a Firebox. In the end I had to download Acestreams on my computer, put it on a stick and install it to the firebox from the USB stick. It is not installed under Kodi but it is installed as an app. I have to make sure I run Acestreams before I go to Kodi. If you don't start acestreams before going into Kodi, you get the old warning and nothing. So it looks like you need Plexus and Acestreams.

So I no longer get the acesteams not there warning. If a stream is out there it works pretty good. Lots on NBA games and Soccer. I tried a lot of sites which said they had NHL games but only two actually let me watch NHL games. Can't remember which two.

I also have a firestick. Not sure how I get the program loaded on the firestick to install. A lot of Youtube install video's brush over getting it. Never found a decent one for direct install into the firebox.

• 2 months later...

We're in the process of moving houses and I'm month-to-month with directv now. I was sold through Spectrum on getting VoIP phone with my internet when I switched addresses. Seriously considering dumping DTV and bundling cable to reduce overall costs. The only drawback is the streaming service and Bills games. I can stream through my dad's account or set up my sling box at the casa de buffalo, so that's just a minor detail. I wish I could cut the cord all together, but I'll more than likely give cable a try and see how it works out this year. Can do streaming only down the road in a few months if no directv works out. Been a directv customer since the mid 2000's, so it will definitely be a bit different!

Looks like Spectrum is offering a good deal to it's internet subscribers called Spectrum TV Stream http://info.spectrum.com/H/2/v40000015cf014e4ee9257fcf4bbe5cfc0/d2dad661-f3cb-4f18-b2fc-57166655d860/HTML that can get streaming feeds on iphones, androids, Roku, Xbox or Samsung smart tvs of 25 stations including all locals, A&E, AMC, History, USA, History TBS and TNT at $19.95 and then can add ESPN, NBC Sports and a few more for $12.00 and a nice deal on premiums at $15.00 for three years.

Edited by The Jokeman