Any "Cord Cutters" here? I need your help!

Guffalo

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, this could solve my problems, I bought an indoor HD antennae with booster, but I have it pointed West, which for my location is a waste, I need to point it North east to get anything, Will try it tonight, thanks!

Which model of antenna do you have? I'm pretty dubious of set-tops with amplifier.

If that doesn't work, there are many more tricks in the OTA bag.

I'm in Northeast CT and get Boston, Providence and Hartford stations.

guy at work just got rid of verizon in favor of the directtv now....you don't need any dishes or anything. a high def antennae will bring in any local channels, there are different tiers, he went with the $30 option, so far so good he says, he was watching ncaa games on trutv last night. plus i think he got a free apple tv device

Was going to suggest the same. DTV Now is a great option. $35 tier gives you everything you'd want to watch.

Actually, this could solve my problems, I bought an indoor HD antennae with booster, but I have it pointed West, which for my location is a waste, I need to point it North east to get anything, Will try it tonight, thanks!

if that is all it is than i am going to laugh at you. sorry, but its true.

We also subscribe to the basic cable package from Spectrum (formerly Time Warner) and get all our locals through an app on the Roku, plus it has On Demand included. Cost is cheap, I think about $15 month.

So, Spectrum for locals, Sling for cable is costing us about $40/month

I've become a bit of an expert on cord cutting and fire stick or android boxes. Download Mobdro and then go under channels. You will have hundreds of channels from all over the world. Most major US cable channels, plus HBO and a couple of adult channels. All free.

No local channels, but national NBC, CBS, ABC and Fox.

Under the sports section you will get ESPN, Fox and NBC sports as well as (for hockey fans) TSN and SportsNet Ontario.

For local I use an antenna.

Oh, and for live sports make sure you have SportsDevil on Kodi.

Edited by ChevyVanMiller

If it works, awesome! If not, as pointed out above, there are other tricks in the OTA bag. I receive almost all Buffalo channels and a ton of Canadian channels to boot. All this and I live near a high power transmitter!

Edited by nkreed

don't fall for buying the 'hacked' firesticks, they usually go for $75 and up....buy a normal firestick and watch youtube videos about installing Kodi on it yourself...it's easy and Kodi has a TON of content

I heard you can buy a hacked amazon fire stick and it has literally everything and it only cost like $40 the one time

don't fall for buying the 'hacked' firesticks, they usually go for $75 and up....buy a normal firestick and watch youtube videos about installing Kodi on it yourself...it's easy and Kodi has a TON of content

Just going by what my friend said, he did mention they can be up around that, but still its one time fee and he says it has everything, another option for the OP.

We sorta cut the cord at my house, we had time warner/spectrum and when we had just internet they charged up the ass (were paying around 75/month just for internet, my wife called them when we moved and we got the same internet and they gave us a box that was supposed to be just local channels and it is 55/month and wont go up. Instead of using the box they gave we just plugged the cable right into the TV and got all the basic cable channels (60+) with some HD and we have that for every TV we hook right up to a cable.

Just going by what my friend said, he did mention they can be up around that, but still its one time fee and he says it has everything, another option for the OP.

We sorta cut the cord at my house, we had time warner/spectrum and when we had just internet they charged up the ass (were paying around 75/month just for internet, my wife called them when we moved and we got the same internet and they gave us a box that was supposed to be just local channels and it is 55/month and wont go up. Instead of using the box they gave we just plugged the cable right into the TV and got all the basic cable channels (60+) with some HD and we have that for every TV we hook right up to a cable.

I'm pretty sure they call these channels "in the clear."

To the OP, I would try that also, just plug a coaxial cable into the cable outlet and see what "in the clear" stations there are at your residence.

I'm pretty sure they call these channels "in the clear."

To the OP, I would try that also, just plug a coaxial cable into the cable outlet and see what "in the clear" stations there are at your residence.

Ah ok, I didn't know that, it was just weird to us as if we used the box they wouldn't show up, so why even use it? lol

Ah ok, I didn't know that, it was just weird to us as if we used the box they wouldn't show up, so why even use it? lol

They maybe switching to all digital soon, is why they gave you the box now. They did that in our area last summer, but we found using their Roku app, we got more than using the little digital box they gave us.

Any progress?

Not really, still working on it, The antennae i have is a 1 by One, 50 mile indoor antennae. I am going to try a new ;locationtoday, I need help since Ihad surgery on rotator cuff yesterday. I also tried some new channels on the firestick, some success, but not the original problem, local news and regular TV networks in real time.

So you have a mud flap type antenna. Best reception would be to place it high near an exterior window or wall. Every time you place the antenna in a new place you need to do a channel scan on your TV, or your less likely to get new channels.

Don't trust the mileage that these antenna are giving. If you did a tvfool plot you'll be looking for the signals in the green area as a high likelihood of receiving. Once you get to the yellow area, you probably aren't going to receive those stations unless you are on an exterior window. Also if a channel is in the white center area of the plot, your powered flap will cause "overload" and will decrease your ability to receive other channels.

Wishing you a speedy recovery from the surgery.

Edited by nkreed

Not really, still working on it, The antennae i have is a 1 by One, 50 mile indoor antennae. I am going to try a new ;locationtoday, I need help since Ihad surgery on rotator cuff yesterday. I also tried some new channels on the firestick, some success, but not the original problem, local news and regular TV networks in real time.

One more time I will tell you to download modbro on the firestick. No local news, unless you're in NYC, but all of the networks and top cable channels in real time.

One more time I will tell you to download modbro on the firestick. No local news, unless you're in NYC, but all of the networks and top cable channels in real time.

Well, I am on Long Island, so i am happy with nyc local news. going to try modbro. do i get that through kodi?