Any "Cord Cutters" here? I need your help!

Guffalo

Our house is being lifted due to storm damage from Sandy. We recently moved to another area that does not have similar services (Cable TV). I cannot do a dish since we don't own the house. I have internet and an amazon firestick. I was wondering if anyone has figured out if there is a way to get local programming or at least watch the major networks using a firestick.

So far I have jail broken the stick, and have Kodi, Exodus, Phoenix and a bunch more, but I have yet to be able to watch regular, local TV or even ABC, CBS, NBC live. I can however watch streaming news from WIVB which is nice, but it is just the news, on a loop, updated every few hours. I can watch the same type programing for stations from Montana to Louisiana, but cannot seem to get regular old TV stations.

Has anyone figured out how to get the stick to get Local Stations and/or national broadcasts?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Antenna doesn't work? I know CBS allows an All Access app that have to pay for it but a better option might be the Playstation Vue will give you ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox ondemand content and live broadcast in very select markets. Yet think works on the Amazon fireTVstick which might not be what you have?

Edited by The Jokeman

this was my suggestion as well. i've heard the digital antennas do ok. i think they can grab signals from 30-90 miles, (they get more expensive the longer the distance).

I have no idea if it helps, but my assistant has been using sling box. i don't know if it carries local signals, but she cut the chord and loves it.

guy at work just got rid of verizon in favor of the directtv now....you don't need any dishes or anything. a high def antennae will bring in any local channels, there are different tiers, he went with the $30 option, so far so good he says, he was watching ncaa games on trutv last night. plus i think he got a free apple tv device

i refused to do that for any of mine...figured they weren't gonna give me a break on the hospital bill for doing their job so figured i'd let them, much like i don't do the self checkouts at the grocery store...i am not there to do their work

Dang, wrong subject, thought you were talking home births. Did that twice.

I have tried the OTA HD antennae, it works for most of the local channels, unless of course it is cloudy or a bird flies by.

I did a bunch of googling, found fire stick loading videos, that's how I got Kodi and the other add-ons, but in many cases, a subscription is required or a credit card is needed to get local/national broadcasts on some of them. It seems a bit sketchy when they are asking for your credit card for free tv.

i refused to do that for any of mine...figured they weren't gonna give me a break on the hospital bill for doing their job so figured i'd let them, much like i don't do the self checkouts at the grocery store...i am not there to do their work

Huh? we just paid co-pays for regular prenatal and post natal visits. No delivery charges. Well except the new sheets for the bed.

depends on how you want to watch...if you can be a day or 2 behind, you should be able to find most anything on Kodi. I know that's how I watch shows like shameless. I just wait for the next day to watch it. as far as live sports goes, yeah it can be a bit annoying finding a good stream, but to save $150+ a month, i'm almost to the point of finding it well worth it. Also look into getting netflix or amazon prime or hulu,

I have tried the OTA HD antennae, it works for most of the local channels, unless of course it is cloudy or a bird flies by.

I did a bunch of googling, found fire stick loading videos, that's how I got Kodi and the other add-ons, but in many cases, a subscription is required or a credit card is needed to get local/national broadcasts on some of them. It seems a bit sketchy when they are asking for your credit card for free tv.

DO NOT RUIN MY WELL THOUGHT OUT ARGUMENT YOU DAMN STINKING COMMIE!!!!!!!! :D

Huh? we just paid co-pays for regular prenatal and post natal visits. No delivery charges. Well except the new sheets for the bed.

depends on how you want to watch...if you can be a day or 2 behind, you should be able to find most anything on Kodi. I know that's how I watch shows like shameless. I just wait for the next day to watch it. as far as live sports goes, yeah it can be a bit annoying finding a good stream, but to save $150+ a month, i'm almost to the point of finding it well worth it. Also look into getting netflix or amazon prime or hulu,

I have amazon prime and Netflix, but that still doesn't get me live stuff. Since beginning of February we have been watching everything the next day. Now instead of saying "What's on TV tonight" my wife says "What did we miss yesterday you cheap mother#$@^er"

I get that...i guess in my case, i don't watch much 'live tv' outside of sports(which knock on wood, kodi or espn3 hasn't let me down yet). I have no problem watching Goldbergs or Blackish at my leisure.

I have amazon prime and Netflix, but that still doesn't get me live stuff. Since beginning of February we have been watching everything the next day. Now instead of saying "What's on TV tonight" my wife says "What did we miss yesterday you cheap mother#$@^er"

http://tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

This should give you a good approximation on what you can get with an antenna. I know you tried it already, but it would provide you with the stations you could reasonably get with an indoor antenna.

Actually, this could solve my problems, I bought an indoor HD antennae with booster, but I have it pointed West, which for my location is a waste, I need to point it North east to get anything, Will try it tonight, thanks!