Ryan Groy Signed to an Offer Sheet by Rams

@mikerodak: The Rams have agreed to extend Bills restricted FA center Ryan Groy a two-year offer sheet, per @caplannfl & me. Bills have 5 days to match

@mikerodak: Ryan Groy would reunite with Aaron Kromer with Rams and likely start at center. Expect $$ from Rams offer to match that situation.

Sounds like they'll have to choose between him or Eric Wood. And i'm sure they'll keep Wood. But it's definitely worth a discussion. It's probably too steep to keep them both if the Rams offer is starting Center money.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should have tendered Groy for 800K more. I thought Groy played great last year and offers flexibility to play C or G. With Eric Wood going on 31 years of age and off major surgery, it would have been smart to keep him.

Another one of those where it's not likely making or breaking your season but like hogan the higher tender just makes sense to avoid playing this game

Another one of those where it's not likely making or breaking your season but like hogan the higher tender just makes sense to avoid playing this game

Like Hogan no draft pick compensation as well. Mark my words, a team is coming Gillislee soon with a front loaded deal. At least we will get a 5th rounder on him.

We have cap room to match a contract for groy or gillislee. No ones even signed Peterson yet... and gillislee is getting a deal we can't afford??

If Whaley was going to match any offers, he simply should have tendered Groy and Gillislee for 800K more for the 2nd Round tender. I can almost guarantee that Groy will make more than that as well as any future offer to Gilislee. Slap the 2nd Round tender keep the other teams away and use the leverage to get a long term deal done.

If Whaley was going to match any offers, he simply should have tendered Groy and Gillislee for 800K more for the 2nd Round tender. I can almost guarantee that Groy will make more than that as well as any future offer to Gilislee. Slap the 2nd Round tender keep the other teams away and use the leverage to get a long term deal done.

That kind of pisses me off, if that's really all it would have cost to put the 2nd round tender on Groy, that Whaley didn't just give him an extra $800k. They had to know Groy would draw interest. I think he would have been (and hopefully still will be) a great backup to have around this season. I get trying to save money, but we're talking $800k in extra cap space to guarantee you have some excellent offensive line depth. Seems well worth it to me, especially with Wood coming of injury.

I'm also surprised by the low tender and I would hate to lose Groy.

But I don't know that it's an obvious "blunder." Whaley and McDermott might not think as highly of Groy as those of us questioning the tender.

I doubt they evaluated his play last year and said, "We like this guy a lot and see him as a key backup and maybe a future starter at center." If they saw him that way and then lowballed him, they're stupid. But they might have evaluated him and thought, "Meh."

Should have tendered Groy for 800K more. I thought Groy played great last year and offers flexibility to play C or G. With Eric Wood going on 31 years of age and off major surgery, it would have been smart to keep him.

Agree.

I'm also surprised by the low tender and I would hate to lose Groy.

But I don't know that it's an obvious "blunder." Whaley and McDermott might not think as highly of Groy as those of us questioning the tender.

I doubt they evaluated his play last year and said, "We like this guy a lot and see him as a key backup and maybe a future starter at center." If they saw him that way and then lowballed him, they're stupid. But they might have evaluated him and thought, "Meh."

Thats probably what happened. Right down to the 'meh'

Its a shame I thought he did great.

800k more for a second round tender on this guy. It just baffles me that a NFL Gm would not use this to their advantage. Am I missing something? 800k more for a guy that provide solid depth on the interior offensive line.

Same thing with Mike Gillislee this year and hogan last year. It makes no sense to not tender guys with that kind of value to a 2nd Rd pick for that price. If we can see it why can the front office not?

Edited by BuffaloSol

800k more for a second round tender on this guy. It just baffles me that a NFL Gm would not use this to their advantage. Am I missing something? 800k more for a guy that provide solid depth on the interior offensive line.

Same thing with Mike Gillislee this year and hogan last year. It makes no sense to not tender guys with that kind of value to a 2nd Rd pick for that price. If we can see it why can the front office not?

It is far more complicated than you make it sound.

A GM has a certain budget allotted for every position or position group. If you tender Groy at that higher level, you have to pay him that extra amount of money. YOU may look at it and say "What's 800k?"...but again, when you have to manage the cap for an entire football team and sign as many guys as the Bills still need to sign....you can't just look at $800k as peanuts and act like it's no big deal to offer a player the extra cash.

If GMing were as easy as you make it sound, there'd be a lot more quality GMs in the NFL than there are.

You know what happens if you give a bunch of backups high tenders? You wind up overpaying for a bunch of backups.