Today I Learned....PartII

On 3/28/2018 at 11:27 AM, Mr Info said:

I will add a US dry county tidbit.

FloydFest is an annual music fest in SW Virginia that actually takes place on land in Patrick county, not Floyd county.  To 'legally' purchase alcohol, you have to go inside designated tents/areas. However, everyone walks around with cups or bottles that have alcohol of some sort in them and no one checks until you pass out. However, they do check when you are exiting the designated tents. But there are creative ways around that as well. The land where the fest is held actually borders Floyd county and within a 200 yd walk from the fest is Villa Appalachia which produces some nice Italian vino. I will listen to some music, then take a short walk just past the edge of the festival to Villa Appalachia, and do some wine tasting and purchase there. Fortunately, they are that close but that was completely unintended as the winery was there long before FloydFest began. Kinda unusual to be at a somewhat crazy, fun fest and then walk a few minutes to this serene outpost.

I've been wanting to do this. I'm doing merlefest this year, and Carolina Rebellion. 

On 3/28/2018 at 9:25 AM, Canadian Bills Fan said:

I live in a dry county.

9 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

I've been wanting to do this. I'm doing merlefest this year, and Carolina Rebellion. 

Carolina Rebellion looks awesome. Lots of great bands and Billy Idol this year.

FloydFest is much more mellow.  Not sure if this would be to your liking. End of July but on top of a mountain so it's cooler. But lots of single girls from what I can tell so that may be a plus. But, be careful where you poontang as poison ivy is around. 

On 3/31/2018 at 10:52 PM, DC Tom said:

Today I learned that Peter Gabriel doesn't want to "shock the monkey tonight."  He wants to shock the monkey to life.

Only took me 35 years to figure it out, too.

On 4/1/2018 at 1:26 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Holy...Phu....!!!

I confirmed it myself right now.  WTF alternate reality have I been living in?*

*Please, that's rhetorical, YOU (or anyone else) don't have to answer! :D

Mandela creep over 

TIL   "There's a bathroom on the right"   is supposed to be  There's a bad moon on the rise."

and 

IN A GADDA DA VIDA   is supposed to be  In The Garden of Eden.   

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Heard from one of my relatives' relatives. Evidently they put it in a clay pot and let it heat up and smell the sulfur.

There are some news stories on it.  Evidently horse dung is better quality.

I'm going to have to look this one up! 

3 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

I have read references to the explosion but never knew the details.  Can't really imagine what it was really like.   A tip of the hat to Vince.  

Your links are a high point of the day.  Thanks.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

I have read references to the explosion but never knew the details.  Can't really imagine what it was really like.   A tip of the hat to Vince.  

Thanks so much.

Glad you enjoy them

25 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Same here. :beer:

I read the whole story behind the Mont Blanc ship and Halifax Explosion...what a story and what a tragedy.  Big thanks to Vince Coleman who saved many lives and was eventually inducted into the Canadian Railway Hall of Fame. :worthy:

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

They would be of mine, if I didn't know everything already (Peter Gabriel lyrics aside.)

In the PEPCON explosion in the 80s, they had a disabled employee who stayed behind to alert authorities, as he was crippled from polio and knew he couldn't get away fast enough.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

In the PEPCON explosion in the 80s, they had a disabled employee who stayed behind to alert authorities, as he was crippled from polio and knew he couldn't get away fast enough.

Give him some credit...Roy Westerfield. :thumbsup:

pepcon_westerfield.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mr Info said:

Give him some credit...Roy Westerfield. :thumbsup:

pepcon_westerfield.jpg

Didn't have his name handy at the time.  

Always have to respect someone who's attitude is "****, I'm gonna die...may as well use my last couple minutes to help others."

• Like (+1) 2