Today I Learned....PartII

9 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Not true.

Used to be true in the 80's.

I'm sure there are some airlines that might have it in place, but not the norm.

Pilots are presented food options and they usually rotate who gets to choose first, but the old rule has gone away quite awhile ago.

So now we've learned that today, instead.

9 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

who need banks?  

they do, they aren't too comfortable holding on to $20,000,000 in paper and its growing

i've been on 12 warranted searches that found hollow point ammo to protect $10,000 in bills in a safe

43 minutes ago, row_33 said:

they do, they aren't too comfortable holding on to $20,000,000 in paper and its growing

i've been on 12 warranted searches that found hollow point ammo to protect $10,000 in bills in a safe

If they report any transactions could they  not use off shore banks? 

I may still have some hollow point bullets for my .357  

( I hope you know I'm joking here a bit  - I said a bit) 

16 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

If they report any transactions could they  not use off shore banks? 

I may still have some hollow point bullets for my .357  

( I hope you know I'm joking here a bit  - I said a bit) 

the problem is that pot is under fed law restiction so banks won't touch money from the proceeds

quite a conumdrum...

banks have stepped up in anti-money laundering efforts and procedures the last 15 or so years, to surprisingly high levels to me for some matters

i would have to believe that moving funds offshore is more restricted than within the US, as always i am fully open to being corrected there as I haven't performed the movement of funds but reviewed hundreds of thousands of transactions...

13 minutes ago, row_33 said:

banks have stepped up in anti-money laundering efforts and procedures the last 15 or so years, to surprisingly high levels to me for some matters

Patriot Act has many provisions for reporting currency transactions at various levels, thus the scrutiny.

9 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Patriot Act has many provisions for reporting currency transactions at various levels, thus the scrutiny.

that has helped as well

you cannot knowingly accept money that has been derived from criminal activity, and not knowing isn't an excuse any more

4 minutes ago, sherpa said:

It’s not just dollar thresholds either. Anything suspicious has to be reported. If you come in and ask what the limit is, whatever you do should be reported. 

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

It’s not just dollar thresholds either. Anything suspicious has to be reported. If you come in and ask what the limit is, whatever you do should be reported. 

it would be hard and onerous to break down $2,000,000 liquid cash into small deposits without raising a suspicion

the paperwork is all done and the databases of transactions are massive but they aren't looked into until an initial charge or complaint is filed

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

it would be hard and onerous to break down $2,000,000 liquid cash into small deposits without raising a suspicion

the paperwork is all done and the databases of transactions are massive but they aren't looked into until an initial charge or complaint is filed

I had a buddy/client who is a real estate attorney. His closing instructions called for “cash or certified funds”. Some mob guy shows up with a suitcase full of cash to buy a half million dollar house! He called the bank and said “HELP! I know it’s almost 5:00, but don’t close the vault!” He changed his closing instruction letter!

He was later put under some form of protection until he could be flown to Philadelphia to testify as to what happened. He said he was most uncomfortable walking out of court....when the protection was no longer there for him. 

14 minutes ago, Augie said:

I had a buddy/client who is a real estate attorney. His closing instructions called for “cash or certified funds”. Some mob guy shows up with a suitcase full of cash to buy a half million dollar house! He called the bank and said “HELP! I know it’s almost 5:00, but don’t close the vault!” He changed his closing instruction letter!

He was later put under some form of protection until he could be flown to Philadelphia to testify as to what happened. He said he was most uncomfortable walking out of court....when the protection was no longer there for him. 

he couldn't invoke client privilege on a trust matter?

:D

organized crime is an obvious target of opprobrium, that sale of pot legal in a state but not at the fed level is another matter

50 minutes ago, row_33 said:

he couldn't invoke client privilege on a trust matter?

:D

organized crime is an obvious target of opprobrium, that sale of pot legal in a state but not at the fed level is another matter

Outstanding...word of the day! :thumbsup: